Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Vegan Birmingham (Brum)

Default Re: Vegan Brum (Birmingham)

Manic Organic is great, we regularly go there for breakfast. Very relaxed atmosphere, no rush at all. Mainly regulars who go there.
    First it was necessary to civilize man in relation to man.
    Now it is necessary to civilize man in relation to nature and the animals.
    Victor Hugo

Peaceful Mind was mentioned on the first page - second post, by TrendyGirl.

I've had a reply from The Warehouse Cafe saying they're open today. Yay. So I will probably be in there at some point this afternoon.

Hey peoples

I'm in Birmingham for a course all next week (based at Hill Street, city centre) and staying the Jury's Inn hotel for the week.

I've read through this thread with delight as it looks like I ought to be able to get some decent lunch and dinner while there.

Are all of the places in the early post still open? I think the training place is very close to the warehouse, so I'll probably try that for lunch.

What else do you recommend I try while I'm there?

Many thanks!
    Twitter:MyVeganLunch

Double Post. Edited to reduce space. Sorry
    Last edited by MyVeganLunch; Jan 5th, 2010 at 03:02 PM.

Oops. Sorry for double post. Got error message first time. How can I delete superfluous?

Thanks

Zero

Quote MyVeganLunch View Post
    Hey peoples

I'm in Birmingham for a course all next week (based at Hill Street, city centre) and staying the Jury's Inn hotel for the week.

I've read through this thread with delight as it looks like I ought to be able to get some decent lunch and dinner while there.

Are all of the places in the early post still open? I think the training place is very close to the warehouse, so I'll probably try that for lunch.

What else do you recommend I try while I'm there?

Many thanks!
    Hi MyVeganLunch, your name is very appropriate for what you are asking.

The best places in the city centre are:
    The Warehouse Cafe (as you mentioned) www.thewarehousecafe.com
    Cafe Soya www.cafesoya.co.uk
    Kinnarre is a Thai place that can make vegan stuff www.kinnaree.co.uk

Also, check out the One Earth Shop which is located below the Warehouse Cafe just a little further down.

There are other places but they are outside the city centre.

Jyoti is good (vegetarian Indian place) you'd need to get on a train to Hall Green to get there. www.jyotis.co.uk

If you feel like meeting up with some of the vegans in the area one of the evenings you could start a thread in the UK meet ups

I'd be happy to come out and play as I live in the city centre.

Other things to check out (depending on what you're into) are the Museum and Art galleries in Chamberlain Square, The Bullring, The Mailbox,

Quote MyVeganLunch View Post
    Oops. Sorry for double post. Got error message first time. How can I delete superfluous?

Thanks
    Only an administrator can do it, you could just edit it and put one character in it like: .

Thanks for the info. I'm actually quite looking forward to finding decent food in an unknown city

So... did The Warehouse Cafe for lunch yesterday and had beetroot soup. Very nice.

Went to an indian near the hotel I'm staying in with others last night. They were very good and identified all the dishes that were suitable for me and prepared some bread for me specially as they usually use ghee on all their breads.

Lunch today was in Bull Ring - Starbucks Falafel wrap (marked as vegan by Starbucks - thanks!) and a nice decaf soy latte. Much nicer than the rubbish in the machines ar the training centre - I have to drink hot water as even the black tea is disgusting. Might see if I can 'borrow' some fruit tea bags from the hotel in the morning

I'm on my own this evening [Tues 12th], so I'm about to head off to Cafe Soya to see what that's like. If anyone wants to join me, you are welcome. I believe I'm heading for the one in Dean Street.

Cheers

Wow.

I have to say I was impressed by Cafe Soya.

I almost froze to death getting there, but soon sorted out by some delicious Chinese Tea.

Had Crispy 'Duck' to start, followed by Lemon Grass 'chicken' on vegetable stir-fried rice and Kong Po 'Beef'. Looked and tasted divine.

And there was plenty left over to bring back in a container for tomorrow's lunch

ohh... Didn't you go to the vegan shop next to the warehouse cafe?!??!! Greet Tina for me if you do!!

Just found a lovely little pub called the Canalside Cafe, by the canal surprisingly. It has a Vegan menu! Has stuff like chilli, sausage and mash, burgers, hummus, vegetable curry.

Just off Gas Street. Apparently it serves good cider. One of my colleagujes is a cider drinker you see.

It has a nice coal fire going at the mo to keep us all warm.

I think I've heard of that before, but thanks for the tip off, someone was looking for canal side restaurants a while back
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Zero

The food at the canal side cafe has been horrible in my experience, with the exepetion of the homemade burger which was ridiculously small overpriced at about £5 with nothing other than a bit of iceberg lettuce salad, unless it's changed recently it's not worth going there for food.

The drinks might be okay there, I know they have Westons in bottles, but the last time I was there people were complaining that the beer was warm so that put me straight off.

The Thai place called Kinnarre just a little futher along the canal towards the Mailbox has outside seating in the summer and is way better than the Canalside Cafe.

Hey all - I'm a fairly new vegan who happens to be based in Birmingham!

Went to the Warehouse Cafe today.....very impressed! Have been to Kinaree in the past as well and that was great too.

Looking forward to checking out a few of the other places mentioned in this thread.
    Last edited by Casey R; Jan 22nd, 2010 at 12:51 AM.

Apologies for cross-posting.

Three of us are living together but sadly one has to move to Shrewsbury for her junior doctor placement. We are thus seeking a lodger from 1st August 2010.

I am a PhD student (27), my friend is a final year medic (23).

I am vegan, my friend does eat meat but vegetarian/vegan most of the time. We have clear rules about not using my cooking gear for meat. If you don't mind dairy products (and occasionally meat) in the fridge and if you have an interest in cooking and baking, then you would be ideal for our household.

We'd ask you to adhere to our no-alcohol policy due to my friend being Muslim. Also, we'd like some warning if you're having male visitors over (because of the headscarf), but I think that's general respect really, not just due to her religion.

We're in Harborne, on Harborne Lane, close to the new NHS hospital.We're on the number 11 bus route, and the number 21 bus stop is just down the road. It's only a 10-minute walk to the main university campus, so it's ideal for a student as well as a professional.

The house is well-maintained, fitted with a washing-machine and everything else we need. We have a double bedroom on offer, double-glazed, fully furnished. Rent is 266 pounds per month, plus bills. If you were a professional then we'd ask you to pay council tax for the property yourself, as we as students are exempt.

If you're interested, or if you know somebody, please get in touch.
    First it was necessary to civilize man in relation to man.
    Now it is necessary to civilize man in relation to nature and the animals.
    Victor Hugo

Just wanted to say I was walking past the Sainsburys in town today and spotted a vegan sign in one of the take out cafes/shops in that food area - is it called Martinau square? Il have to check on a map!

Its a pasta place - serves meat too but I asked the manager about vegan options and he does pasta or cous cous and then you add 1 of 3 vegan pasta sauces to it then 2-3 choices from the salad bar like sweetcorn etc... he is going to visit One Earth shop to get some vegan cheese hopefully. He is also trying to veganise his lasagne white sauce as he says all he needs to do is swap the dairy for soya - he is keen to offer vegan lasagne. The deal for £2.95 includes garlic bread - this currently is not vegan but he can make it with soya marg in future but said he will only do this once he has found out if the bread rolls used are vegan.

I was too full from a 3 course Warehouse lunch to eat anything but have got a pasta and sauce box meal Il have tomorrow for lunch, but then he told me all cakes there are vegan! They had cherry cake today but also do fruit cake, coconut cake and others some days all £1.49 for a massive slice.

Il dig out the name of the shop later got it written down somewhere - he has said to spread the word and if he gets lots of vegan customers he will try to add more dishes. Prices seem very good and this guy was aware of veganism.

Will try the cake tomorrow

Looking good Alisont.
    Problematic is waking someone whom pretends to sleep.

Thanks for the tip Alison - Martineau Place is the name and I know it very well.

Would this be the place you were referring to?

I'll be checking it out for sure!

Yes that the place now a vegetarian and vegan symbol in the window - if any vegans go do put a vote in for him to make the lasagne and garlic bread vegan!

It's useful that for central location and a cheap, filling lunch.

Went to that pasta place today! Delicious!!

It is good and they seem open to veganising other items in the future if they get enough requests

Zero

I went back to the Canalside Cafe again recently and was presently surprised that it had actually improved, wasn't fantastic but was perfectly good food, unlike the last time I was there, they have vegan sausage and mash now too.

Will have to try there sometime - whereabouts is it Zero?

Is it on the canal walk between the Mailbox and Brindley Place?

Zero

Next to the Tap & Spile. If you walk out back of the mailbox and across the metal bridge that takes you over the canal, just keep going and you'll find it, if you get to Brindley Place you've gone too far

Zero

Discovered a stall on the Birmingham Farmers Market on New Street today called KousKous they do mainly mediteranean food, fresh made falafel wraps with soya yogurt based tzatziki sauce, mezzes, houmous etc. I had a falafel wrap, pretty tasty. Farmers market dates here: http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/farmers

Since I'd had a better experience recently at the Canalside Café I tried the vegan breakfast Sunday morning, only £5 including a tea or coffee with soya milk, not bad really for the price really - Veggie sausage, veggie bacon, mushrooms, beans, hash browns, tomatoes, toast w/ soya spread.

Pity the farmers market is on a Weds - cant get there as working had heard the falafel stall was good! Maybe Il get to one of the July/Aug dates.

I must try the canalside cafe - is it easy to find? I know Brindley place.

Cafe Soya - the small Arcadian branch have altered the cheap lunch deal and it's even better - £5.50 for a drink, a main meal (special lunch veggie menu can all be vegan) and now includes pudding - choice of 3 puds and all are vegan! Battered banana, red bean pud and soya desert - I tried the soya desert - warm/smooth and like a smooth ground rice pud with a sugar syrup sauce - different and nice!

Same deal at bigger branch is £6.95 - and vegan option of fruit salad not that good.

Zero

From Brindley place if you walk back along the canal on the opposite side from the ICC/Symphony Hall toward the Mailbox, go under the Bridge, a bit further down it will be on your right.

Zero

I wandered into the Little Pasta Place in Martineau Place today and I was quite impressed by their vegan options (although I didn't buy any of it), it seems they have vegan lasagne and garlic bread on the menu now and 2 cakes that were vegan - banana and 'very coconut'

I'll be in brum on Sunday afternoon if anyone fancies meeting up for lunch
    If I sink to the bottom I can run to the shore.

Quote bradders View Post
    I'll be in brum on Sunday afternoon if anyone fancies meeting up for lunch
    Would love to Bradders but afraid Im at the Hillfields sanctuary open day helping out - pity it's not closer to Brum as there will be loads of cake/food there:smile:

I'm at Hillfields too Bradders.
    I Think, Therefore I Am A Vegan

Nice to hear that the pasta place now has the vegan lasagne and garlic bread! I'll be paying another visit for sure!

Went there today to try and get some vegan lasagne....it was on their menu, but they didn't seem to have made any today

Hi everyone, just posting this message for a friend:

Rooms Available For Rent In Vegan House in Birmingham

2 rooms available in a lovely 3 bedroom house sharing with one vegan. One room is £55 a week, the other room is £60. Both singles. All completely newly decorated, furnished, with all mod cons and central heating. It's near to the kingstanding circle which has all the bus routes to the centre of town and beyond. The house is also quite close to the perry barr campus of B'ham uni. If this appeals to you, don't hesistate to contact James on oceanblue3@hotmail.co.uk. Thanks!

Went to Little Pasta Place again last Saturday....still no Vegan lasagne available despite being on the menu. Will be in town in half an hour or so.....third time lucky?

Zero

One for Milkshake lovers.....

A new place has opened in the city centre called Shakes which is very similar to Skakeaway. They are doing soy based shakes and have a vegan list inside, however they don't seem to realise that Fry's Peppermint cream is vegan (easy mistake though).

11 Cannon Street, Birmingham B2 5EN (near to House Of Fraiser)
    http://gottheshakes.co.uk/

Thanks for the tip off. Do they charge extra for soy like shakeaway do?
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Zero

Nope all the shakes are £2.50 regardless.

Nooooooo! have been wanting a shakaway type place to open in Brum and now Im on my diet I cant have one but yes its good news they are doing vegan options/shakes and without an extra charge

Hey,
    I thought I'd try and revive this thread a little because I may be moving to Brum to work in Warehouse and I was really just wondering if anyone was able to tell me how easy it is to find all of these wonderful sounding places and where I should be aiming to try and live etc, I've only really been visiting a few times and don't know my way around all that well so any help/advice would be very much appreciated!

Hi Nicky, depends on what accommodation you want - buy/rent/flat/house share etc.

There are groups you can join in the area - bvv.org.uk (Birmingham Vegetarain's & Vegans) also Moseley Vegans - with lots of things going on and lots of groups like the newly formed Animal Freedom.

So lots of events/meet-ups/meals/activism etc to suit your own needs.

There is also a West Midlands Vegan Festival - on the 28th October. Lots of local groups will be at that too.

Let us know when you are next coming to brum and we can let you know if there is anything on at that time that you might consider going to.
    I Think, Therefore I Am A Vegan

Hey!
    Thanks for your reply! At first I will most probably be looking to rent somewhere within cycling distance from the city as I have no idea what bus times etc are like!
    That's really awesome there are so many groups! There are hardly any in Norwich where I am at the moment!
    I may be coming up for a couple of days in the second week of September to look around places etc and try sort out somewhere to live!

Default Re: Vegan Birmingham (Brum)

If any of you find yourselves in Handsworth Wood, you must go to Mr. Singhs Pizza - some of the best vegan pizza I've ever had, and they have vegan cheese too