Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Vegan Birmingham (Brum)

Default Re: Vegan Brum (Birmingham)

treaclemine

Does anyone reading know the opening times over the holiday weekend, and generally, for Dil's Diner in Hall Green, and could post them here?

^ I think they are open every day - although most chip shops are closed in Birmingham on Sundays.

Try this number for them: 0121 745 6124.
    I Think, Therefore I Am A Vegan

treaclemine

Thanks Frank - not getting any answer on that phone number at the moment, but hoping to get to them before the end of the holiday weekend!

If anyone gets out to Bromsgrove, there is a lovely little health food shop in the town centre called 'Red Kite'. in the freezer they have locally made vegan (and gluten free) curries which are just soooooooooo good.
    There are loads of vegan products in the shop, and the nice lady in there says that she can get stuff if it isn't there already.
    Definitely worth a visit.

Red Kite is great - Lisa the owner is really helpful/friendly and those Taskers Curries are good.

Does anyone know of any Jewish supermarkets near the centre of Birmingham? Im trying to track down some nice dark choc vegan biscuits I tried recently in London and they are like wagon wheels but vegan!

Im not aware of any Jewish shops or where the Jewish community is mainly based to try, Im thinking there could be a large Jewish food shop somewhere on the Pershore Road area, but not sure where that is!

I think I bought some of these biscuits from Waitrose in Harborne, but I can't remember what they were called. They were in the free from/kosher aisle.
    And they tasted really good.

Thanks Im not sure when Id get to Harbourne as I dont drive so tricky to get to. I must check my nearby Waitrose they have a free from shelf but not a kosher one. If we go past Harbourne Il try to get into Waitrose - they are so nice!

Alison, ask in the One Earth shop. I was looking for vegan coffee creamer and she told me that they don't stock it because there isn't enough demand. She then pointed me towards a Jewish shop nearby where she buys it herself. It was quite a while ago, though, and I never got to go there, so I don't quite remember.
    First it was necessary to civilize man in relation to man.
    Now it is necessary to civilize man in relation to nature and the animals.
    Victor Hugo

Thanks, found them today at the Five ways Tescos, good selection of biscuits that were vegan (never noticed any coffee creamer)

I'm going to learn the route to small heath soon. They have some cafe's there and I was wondering which was the most vegan friendly. I know their is an entirely vegitarian indian restaurant in sparkbrook but it's not on my bus route. Small heath is a lot more accessable for me.

Do any birmingham vegans know any cafe in small heath that serve anything vegan. Which is the most vegan friendly? I'm particularly interested in any on the coventry road as that's where my bus stops at.

Also the veggie fish shop sounds very intresting. I'm on the 60 bus route. Otherwise I have to change at Solihul or Birmingham centre.

Another possiblility for me would be a delivery but I'm not on the phone. Any way of delivering via email?

Quote Frank View Post
    See post 157 for details.

Nearest railway station - Hall Green.
    I can't see any details as to how to get there via public transport. Help with that would be very much appreciated.

Which buses go past this restaurant?

Please could someone post a reply to this. It seems the two veggie restaruants are at Hall Green. How would I get there?

You can use the journey planner on the Travel West Midlands website. Just type in where you're leaving from and the address of the restaurants, and they will give you the bus routes.
    http://www.travelwm.co.uk/bus-information/
    First it was necessary to civilize man in relation to man.
    Now it is necessary to civilize man in relation to nature and the animals.
    Victor Hugo

Thanks for the link. It does seem really hard to get to from where I live. One possibility though might be to catch a bus to Moor street and then a train from moor street station to Hall green.

It's a pity it's hard to get to. It doesn't seem their is anywhere suitable in Small heath but that's on my bus route. I guess I'll always have warehouse cafe on my bus route though but I was wanting to go to indiean type cafe too.

Which is nearest to Hall green station? Jyto or Dil?

Another disadvantage is they don't take orders via internet and I'm not on the telephone. I stopped being able to see my minicom and I haven't sorted myself out with anything to replace it.

What a disapointment.

Please could someone get back to me about vegan friendly food in small heath. My mobility instructor has located a cafe which is near to the route I am learning called Karahi King. I want to know if their samosas or pakora's, or indian curry are vegan.

I've also sent a message to the indian restaurant in Hall green but have so far no reply. I was asking about accessablility.

I would be greatful if someone could please respond to my posts.

Not been in this thread for ages

Dreama - afraid I dont know of any places selling vegan food in Small Heath - not an area I go to. Hope you found somewhere?

The Warehouse cafe in Brum are advertising for staff if anyones interested? Ads on their website

Alison: Thanks very much for getting back to me.

I've been learning the route to the indian restaurant in Hall green. I'm wondering when the next group meal is so I can join you all.

Helene

Hi glad your learning the route to Joyotis in Hall Green I have never been there as it is a bt far from me.

Not aware of any group meal there but maybe one will be arranged there in the future? Will post if it is.

Hey all! I'm gonna be in Birmingham from the 30th of July to the 1st of August. I've been trying Couchsurfing and have just been having bad luck, so if anyone could let me sleep at their place for 2 nights, I would really appreciate it. I'm even okay with just sleeping on the floor, as I will have a sleeping bag with me.

If not, no worries, I will keep trying Couchsurfing. Either way, I want to hang out with whoever is available and perhaps enjoy a vegan meal someplace!
    "cake is a good tool for the revolution!!!" - saycheezly

Zero

You can crash on my couch if you want Matt.

I live about 15 minutes walk from the city centre.

Quote matt35mm View Post
    Hey all! I'm gonna be in Birmingham from the 30th of July to the 1st of August. I've been trying Couchsurfing and have just been having bad luck, so if anyone could let me sleep at their place for 2 nights, I would really appreciate it. I'm even okay with just sleeping on the floor, as I will have a sleeping bag with me.

If not, no worries, I will keep trying Couchsurfing. Either way, I want to hang out with whoever is available and perhaps enjoy a vegan meal someplace!
    Afraid Im at work this week daytimes but if any meal is planned anywhere in Brum eves/Sat Il try and make it if I can if not hope you have a good time in Brum Matt Warehouse is good and all veggie/vegan or Cafe Soya does a Chinese vegan menu - lunch main and drink is only £5.

Quote Zero View Post
    You can crash on my couch if you want Matt.

I live about 15 minutes walk from the city centre.
    That would be really great! Thanks! That's a load off my mind!

Alisont, I think we can find a way to meet up in the evening for at least a drink, possibly a meal.
    "cake is a good tool for the revolution!!!" - saycheezly

Zero

I was at the Canal Side Café yesterday. As I had thought previously it's not totally veggie anymore but still has veggie options and some of them vegan.

I met a couple of friends there, I had the vegetable chili which was okay (but nothing special) and of a reasonable portion, both of my friends had veggie burgers which were very small and came with a little bit of salad on the side and nothing else! I think they were about £5, pretty pathetic really. I would have expected some fries or something.

The service was also shockingly slow and although the staff are nice and friendly they didn't exactly seem to be in a hurry to help you.

We had to get our table wiped over too as it was dirty, and I heard some people complaining that the Beer was far too warm.

Not terribly positive at all. If you want a burger I'd stick with the Warehouse Café.

I guess I'll be away at my parents' on those dates. Oh well. If anyone is in Birmingham and wants to meet in future, let me know. I'm unemployed, have not many friends I see loads, and have loads of spare time. Up for gigs, etc
    Last edited by Zorillo; Jul 28th, 2009 at 11:10 AM. Reason: adding

I spent time with someone recently who works at Indigo. http://www.indigowholefoods.co.uk/ I have been to this place a lot: http://www.qype.fr/place/116088-Nima...tessen-Moseley Found this just: http://www.kingsheathbusinesses.org/...ments/SAGE.pdf

Zero

Zorillo, the thread makes more sense if you put a brief one line description up of a link you are posting

I guess the one post I did could look a little confusing

Dils Diner has closed down.

It is now a chip shop selling kebab type place.

That must have been the shortest business venture ever

Quote Frank View Post
    Dils Diner has closed down.

It is now a chip shop selling kebab type place.

That must have been the shortest business venture ever
    That's a shame.

I have no idea what Dils Diner is/was
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Zero

It was an a "Pure Vegetarian" chip shop and indian take away Mr F.

That's a shame they're gone, they made some tasty (even if largely unhealthy) foodz.

Im going to Birmingham for the first time on the 17th November for a work thing and it turns out that the event finishes at 1pm! So I have a nice afternoon to wander around and eat somewhere vegan in town.

Alisont did mention somewhere to me... I want to say Warehouse.... would that be everyones recommendation for a place to eat? or is there somewhere better for a brum first timer?

Zero

Hey Clare. The Warehouse is good, fairly standard veggie restaurant really, as organic as possible and some good vegan options. Otherwise if you feel like Chinese food Café Soya is great (there are two of them) the smaller one in the Arcadian does lunch specials for £5.

Those are the best city centre options in my opinion. The other places are a bit further out.
    www.thewarehousecafe.com
    www.cafesoya.co.uk

I work in the city centre so if you want some lunch company I can meet up with you

Clare - if you can travel say 10 minutes on a train from the City centre you could go to Jyoti's - an Indian veggie restaurant.

http://www.jyotis.co.uk

If not - The Warehouse Cafe has lots of lovely food - including vegan cake and vegan ice cream.

The other reason to go to the Cafe is below it is the UK's (only?) 100% vegan shop (One Earth Shop). Selling huge amounts of food items and sundrys.

Well worth a look
    Last edited by Frank; Nov 5th, 2009 at 04:28 PM.

Yes it was the Warehouse I told you abut last week Clare

Id say to head there - great food and yummy puds! And the vegan shop downstairs.

I did use to like Cafe Soya but since they added to bits of beef to my last takeout meal Im avoiding that place (luckily I did spot it before I ate it!)

Afraid Im stuck at work until 5.30pm otherwise Id of loved to meet up.

Great thanks guys for the tips, Ill have to try and get to the vegan shop - I might have to bring some spending money!

Zero that would be great if you dont mind giving up your lunch hour! Ill find out a bit more about the day, I see they want us to 'network' afterwards but Ill probably just leave

I'll pm you a bit nearer the time and liaise

Zero

Yeah cool stuff, I don't mind going for lunch at one of the eateries that serves types like us, my lunch time is somewhat flexible so it can be longer than an hour so no need to rush. Plus if you don't know Birmingham the Warehouse and One Earth Shop can be slightly tricky to find.

I forgot to mention the One Earth previously, shame on me! It's a great little shop

Quote Zero View Post
    my lunch time is somewhat flexible so it can be longer than an hour so no need to rush.
    I got a bollocking for my 90 minute lunchbreak today; got any jobs?

Quote clare155 View Post
    I'll pm you a bit nearer the time and liaise
    Depending on where i'm at on the day - I suppose I could make your visit an excuse to have a slab of vegan cake with ice cream - to follow on from the lovely mains they do....

Keep me posted too

Zero

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    I got a bollocking for my 90 minute lunchbreak today; got any jobs?
    I am quite lucky that they are flexible about these things I suppose, they recognize that sometimes I hardly take a lunch break or come in early/stay late, I have worked places in the past were they never recognized this but I was vocal about the fact that I do more and they can't realt argue then.

I believe we do have a job opening or two but it's unlikely to be your line of work my friend

Quote Frank View Post
    Keep me posted too
    Yay! Great I will let you know the plan

Went to the Warehouse cafe today with the lovely Frank and Zero Had sausage and mash, and chocolate brownie and ice cream for dessert nom nom... it was a lovely place and nice staff.

Popped into the vegan shop downstairs which was stocked with all sorts of things that I want! Will go back after pay day :smile:

Anyone know if the Warehouse Cafe is open as usual on Monday 28th Dec? Someone just told me it's a bank holiday - and I know One Earth Shop is shut till January. My friend from Germany is in Birmingham so I said I'd go and meet up with her. Would like to go somewhere vegany.

Best bet would to be try ringing. We ate there on the 24th, their xmas menu isn't as exciting as their normal menu IMHO.

I've sent them an email. Maybe I'll call if I hear nothing back by Monday.

Just did a google and found this - http://www.themanicorganiccafe.co.uk/ - shame it's not in the city centre.

EDIT - Just noticed that it used to be Peaceful Mind that was mentioned earlier in the thread.
    Last edited by ShariBlackVelvet; Dec 26th, 2009 at 08:46 PM.

I picked up the leaflet with opening time on whilst I was there for Christmas dinner last Mon and typically cant find it but pretty sure they are open tomorrow and Mon - best to ring them tomorrow to be sure.

I might go tomorrow if I decide to have a look round the sales.

I can't see peaceful mind mentioned previously (doesn't come up in search). Has anyone eaten there? What are their vegan options like? Is it worth visiting?

It's just off the road we normally drive into Birmingham on.