Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegan Birmingham (Brum)

Smile Vegan Birmingham (Brum)

Hi everyone,

I have just joined this forum and I was hoping someone could tell me about Rooty Frooty, a new cafe in Birmingham. I believe it is a sister company to one in Campden Town but I haven't heard of them before and I wondered if they were vegan friendly. I can't find anything on the net so if anyone knows, I would be really grateful.

For anyone who hasn't discovered the delights of Jyotis on the Stratford Road in Birmingham then let me just say that it serves wonderfully original indian food, all vegetarian and mostly vegan. They are very friendly and will try to make anything on the menu vegan if you ask, but as I said most of it is anyway. My favourite dish is potato curry with puffed rice pancakes and mango puree, heaven!

Thanks for your help.

Default Birmingham

Jyoti V
    569-571 Stratford Road, Sparkhill, Birmingham, B11 4LS
    T: 0121 766 7199 / 07961 179272

This is a totally vegetarian restaurant in the heart of Birmingham’s Balti Triangle. Most of the dishes are suitable for vegans and the ones that aren’t are marked with a *. It can get very busy on weekend so booking is advisable. The restaurant is NOT licensed but you can take your own alcohol.

They also own a vegetarian sweet shop next to the restaurant but only one of the sweets is vegan, however they do also sell other Asian delights.

Cathays Chinese Buffet
    86 Holloway Head, Birmingham City Center, B1 1NB
    T: 0121 666 7788
    http://www.cathayrestaur ant.co.uk/

This is not a veggie restaurant but there is a lot of choice for us veggies and vegans. It is best to go when it is busy because there is more choice, on a Friday night there is 50 dishes and 15 of them are vegan. There are many types of fake meat dishes, they look very real so it can be a little off putting, but once you have a bight your fears are put aside and you know it’s not real. You can ask which ones are vegan but basically if it is labelled vegetarian, you can’t see any egg and there are no noodles or batter to be seen, it will be suitable for vegans. The all you can eat buffet cost between £6.99 and £8.99 depending on what time you go.

Rooty Frooty V
    Custard Factory, Digbeth, Birmingham City centre

It is really nice & pretty cheap too, £4.50 for a big plate full of food which was served buffet style. You can get loads of different fruit/veg smoothies which they make up there and then for you. You can also buy these crazy shots of liquid vitamin boots for 50p, I have no idea what goes in them but it didn't taste too good. They are kept in pharmacy style bottles and remind me of bottles of Miracle Cure that would be sold at travelling fairs in by gone eras.

They bake their own breads, cakes, biscuits, pies etc, including gluten & wheat free. And you can get any of their produce to go.

On the table are little books outlining some of there key principles:

* Converting all their vans to run on pure vegetable oil
    * Using natural, compositable & bleach free packaging
    * Opting for power supplied by renewable energy sources
    * Using non-solvent based paints
    * Recycling
    * Conducting ethical audits on suppliers
    * Donating 10% of their profits to local & national charities
    * They don't use freezers, microwaves, additives or anything containing Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil.

They licensed for alcohol and are open 24hours on a weekend. They also offer catering for outside evnets as well

Warehouse Cafe V

54-57 Allison Street Digbeth, B5 5TH Birmingham city Centre
    Tel 0121 633 0261
    http://www.warehousecafe .com/

A totally vegetarian restaurant situated above friends of the earth in the centre of town near the blue Selfridges building. There is also a lovely health food shop next door which only stocks vegan food. Fresh pasties and flapjacks are available.

Peacefulmind Cafe V
    46 Poplar Road, Kings Heath, Birmingham, B14 7AG
    TeL: 0121 443 5422
    peacefulmind@meditateinbirmingham.org

This is what they said when I contacted them:

We do sell only vegetarian food as we are a Buddhist cafe. We sell a fairly wide and interesting range of toasted sandwiches and cakes, as well as many different types of herbal tea and coffees. The toasties cost £2.25 but between 12 - 2pm we sell a toastie and a hot drink for £3. Some of our toasties are vegan and we use ingredients such as Tahini, vegan pates and peanut butter. We also have a delicious vegan carrot and raisin cake and some wheat free cakes. All ingredients sold in the cafe are organic.

Body & Being day spaV
    Watermarque Building, 100 Browning Street, Birmingham B16 8EH.
    T: 0121 456 7633

www.bodyandbeing.co.uk

Open Monday to Saturday 8am to 8pm (Sunday 9am to 6pm)

The restaurant overlooks the canal by Sherborne Wharf. The food is excellent and very innovative and it is reasonably priced.

Matchbox Cafe @ The Friends Institute V
    Busy ,friendly, non judgmental community Cafe.
    Non-Smoking
    220 Moseley Rd Highgate, Birmingham. B12 0DG
    West Midlands (Warwickshire). Tel 0121 4464224

9.30 12lunch 1.30 Monday to Friday opens at 9.30am for tea and coffee. Serves lunch at 12.30pm till 1.30pm

This is a co-operative run by adults with learning disabilities. I spoke to the chef and he was very nice but said that they don’t always have much vegan food on offer so it might be best to ring them before you go as the menu changes on a daily basis. However the vegan food he did tell me about sounded amazing and I believe there is always salad, baked potato and chips available everyday.

They are very friendly people and the prices sounded ridiculously cheap! To get there you need to get on the number 50bus from behind Marks and Spencer’s in Town. The bus drops you right outside The Friends Institute which is a big Victorian building. I believe that the building was donated to the Friends Institute by Cadburys as Mr Cadbury was a Quaker. Now the building is owned by the council I think and the Matchbox Café rents space there. Far as I understand the word Quaker is never mentioned unless you ask about it so don’t be put off if you think that they are going to convert you.

SangamV
    334 Soho Road Handworth, Birmingham, B21 9NA
    Tel 0121 523 9905

This is a Small Indian cafe which is totally vegetarian.

Smile Vegan Brum (Birmingham)

hi there i was doing a search and stumbled across this forum from google

i am the chef from rooty frooty
    the one in birmingham and i noticed you had mentioned in on this site ..
    if anyone wants info and updates on whats going on with rooty frooty please send me your email addy as im building a info base to send out offers and other goings on at rooty frooty..
    we have now made rooty bigger and furnished it with second hand reclaimed furniture and its cool as ........cool can be

my partner also has a little sop /aromatic clinic in the custard factory tht sells fair trade orgainic and eco friendly products from organic paint to sanitary products washing powers and aromatic oils ...
    rooty frooty

Default Re: rooty frooty

weve extended though and made the place bigger
    helt the birmingham vegan 1st birthday party there last week went really well does anyone here know frank ????

my partner has just opened " the greenscene " a vegan friendly shop in the custard factory get on down and if you mention this site ill get her to do you a deal on some vegan soap and eco washing powders etc ..

it aslo does aromatic treatments ....

were on our way to converting the custard factory to a vegan earth friendly place ..please support us ...

if anyonw would like to hopld a party at rooty frooty then we can do it for free ... no hire charge and we can open all night and serve organic largers and wines

Hi there! I know Frank, his last name is Thunder. He is a very nice fellow I also went to the party the other week and really enjoyed it! I don’t drink anymore and when Frank kindly bought loads of vegan champagne, it went straight to my head after only a few sips! HE! HE! There was loads of food to eat as well! It was a pretty good deal all round! I think that I was fit to burst at the end and it was really great to have my first ever vegan cheese cake. It was nice but a little too sweet, I guess that when your vegan you end up eating less sweet things and your sweet tooth shrinks

Where in the Custard Factory is your partners shop? I am incredibly busy with uni work at the moment and don’t get to leave the house much but soon as I finish my degree (only a few weeks now :s it’s so frightening) I will get myself straight down there! Maybe you could mention it to Frank (pm me if you don’t have his contact details) and he could mention it at the next Birmingham vegetarians and vegans meeting. Maybe you could give him some fliers that he could hand out.

By they way, for the people who live in Brum and have never been to the Custard Factory…GET YOUR BUM DOWN THERE. It is so much more interesting than the rest of Brums city centre. They have loads of independent funky shops and no mass market/find them in every town type of shops. I like Saturdays best when the flee market is on.

Where is the site of the Custard factory?
    I was born in Birmingham and lived there until 1983, but can't for the life of me remember where that site is

It's in Digbeth. On the road running away from town and towards Stratford Road/ Spark Brook. There are quite a few Irish pubs in that area.

It all comes back! Even my husband couldn't remember.

Thanks Trendygirl.

Default Re: Vegan friendly restaurants in UK

Today I caught a bite to eat at The Warehouse Cafe (54 Allison Street, Digbeth, Birmingham), a vegetarian place. I had a nut burger and wedges. A cheap n cheerful place that could do with some support.

I shared my visit to the cafe with three lovely vegan ladies, three lovely veganforum ladies. Eat you heart out Geoff.

Quote rooty frooty
    does anyone here know frank ????
    Met him today, at Rooty Frooty, how spooky is that.

Although we only had drinks today, this place is a must to visit if in Birmingham. A popular funky place with good food, good music, and very friendly stuff.

Rooty frooty, just do it.

Hello people!
    We went to Rooty Fruity today. I must admit, it was wonderful! I had roast vegetables with brown rice and chick pea curry. £3.00 for a pretty big bowl, what great value! Really nice place, great music (love Bob Marley) and definatley worth a drop in.

Glen

Definately worth a visit. I'm going back.

Thumbs up "live Music This Friday @ Rooty Frooty"

YES we have a live folk band on this friday playing the finest in celtic music .. they are based in the custard factory and the violinist made a chello for noel gallagher ....
    as its veggie week we can offer you a 10% discount if you mention this site when you arive
    we need your support people we ned to keep rooty frooty alive as were not getting enough people visit us come along and support your local healthy veg restraunt ..even if its just for one beer ..

friday 7.30 pm onwards
    custard factory
    gibb st
    digbeth

see you there
    any questions ..07813283304
    ps there will be a super vegan mnu on all night too and the greensceene eco shop is open too for soaps sanitary products and vegan friendly luxuries

Default Re: "live Music This Friday @ Rooty Frooty"

I keep meaning to come along, but then worry if you'll be open/have food I can eat (I'm allergic to onions!). What are your mealtime opening hours?

i will personally cook you summut were open mon to fri 8..6 and fri sat ..6..late...

my names alan justr ask for me and ill sort you out the best non onion meal youve ever had

Neil and I would love to come along with the wee Séamus (not so little anymore) to hear the band. How accessible is it for a wheelchair, and how much is it on the door for the band? We have been dying to try out your food, having heard so many rave reviews about it. And of course, you are catering for us at the HoEVF, and I can't wait that long to eat! Mmm... Didn't you mention vegan lasagne?

Now I am making Homer Simpson noises...

Anyone else want to go to Rooty Frooty after the Festival?

I would love to be there but I cant make it :-( However I reccomend everyone goes as that place is great! Wheel chair access is pretty good, the entrance isn't raised or anything and there are double doors at the entrance. It is a pretty well laid out place too!

Quote Realfood Mary
    Neil and I would love to come along with the wee Séamus (not so little anymore) to hear the band. How accessible is it for a wheelchair, and how much is it on the door for the band? We have been dying to try out your food, having heard so many rave reviews about it. And of course, you are catering for us at the HoEVF, and I can't wait that long to eat! Mmm... Didn't you mention vegan lasagne?

Now I am making Homer Simpson noises...

Anyone else want to go to Rooty Frooty after the Festival?
    we have disabled toilets and its a free night just pay for you rfood n beers juices wine etc cmon people its going to be a night toi remember ill bring along the digi cam and post some pics on here

I've skimmed this thread but not read it thoroughly, so apologies if I'm repeating, but has anyone mentioned Jyoti's in Birmingham? It's an all veg*n Indian restaurant where the NON-vegan things are marked (mainly the odd dish in butter, and a section of paneer dishes). They even have Swedish Glace in for Deserts.

The owner is really friendly, and will advise on other food allergies too (ie, I'm allergic to onions, and he guides me through the menu, and occasionally gets them to cook something extra specially for me). It's fantastic - we've never had a bad meal yet. They're unlicensed, but don't charge corkage, and will happily open bottles and provide glasses if you want to take booze - or just provide soft drinks/water as you wish. Closes relatively early, but equally, is open from lunchtime, so enabling you to get good food all through the day.

I can't wait til September when we move closer to it...my wallet is going to suffer (but only a little, 'cos it's very reasonably priced...I managed to take 5 adults and 2 kids there for full meals (starters, mains, some puddings and a couple of soft drinks) for under £100! - that did involve using the thali menu between the kids, but still..)

Finally getting time to explore this site. My fave place for lunch locally (well 1/2 hour away) is Rooti Frooties in Digbeth Birmingham. Great service, great food and good value. I usually have the £5.50 plate about 80% main meals are vegan, juice bar is great too, just wish there were more vegan puds - oat slice is nice but when i went to an evening there with local Brum veggie/vegan group we had a great strawberry tofu cheesecake

The Warehouse cafe in Digbeths good too and i always visit the one earth vegan shop too.

Closer to home I eat out at the local baltis in Lye, Stourbridge - lots of vegan choice (just have to say for food to be cooked in oil not ghee)

I struggle in the pubs for food - friends like the Harvester chain but only option is a plain spud at least the salad bar has beans on offer! I often take a vegan grill/sos to go with my meal.

Harrisons cafe in Stourbridge serves lot of vegan options but also meat dishes now. They do a vegan breccy with scrambled tofu, redwoods sausages, etc... thats rather yummy. The juice bar round the corner is cool too.

Alison

Went to the Warehouse cafe in Birmingham for lunch yesterday, not eaten there in ages but was well impressed!

Had smoked tofu & chestnut sausages, mixed leaf salad, garlic potato wedges, and wholearth baked beans - yum! Then spotted vegan choc brownic with glace and choc sauce ;D

Will be paying another visit there asap - christmas menu looks good too.

Was packed there too - not a spare seat by 1pm, menu is 80% vegan,

The one earth vegan shop next door has got some nice chocs and christmas goods in too.

Alison

LOL - my favourite, those sausages!
    And they're dirt cheap if you consider the quality you get for the price.
    One Earth is great too - thank's for reminding me to stock up on Christmas goodies!
    I really can't decide whether I prefer Warehouse or Rooty Frooty
    First it was necessary to civilize man in relation to man.
    Now it is necessary to civilize man in relation to nature and the animals.
    Victor Hugo

Well i use to think Rooties - but as there is always the same dishes there I thought id try the warehouse - its got a new chef too i think? After lunch yesterday i have to say the warehouse is fave, but it might change.

Was too cold to walk to Rooties anyway - will have to alternate my visits!

Will have to see if we are ever planning to be in Brum the same time - Il meet you for lunch at the warehouse if you ever want?

If your in one earth the blue foil wrapped praline chocs in a jar are yum, and the vegan bakewell slices

Alison

Vegan bakewell slices - OMG, you shouldn't have told me!
    Would be great to meet you for lunch sometime! I agree that the Warehouse is fun because they keep changing their menu, always something new to try.
    Victor Hugo

Im often in town on Sats for lunch, at work rest of the week. Would be happy to meet up one Sat for lunch (next in Sat 3rd Dec i think?) I might go to the BVV christmas meal on the 13th Dec at the warehouse cafe?

One earth also sell a choccy slice thing called the vegan bar with no name! rather rich and scrummy! bakewells my fave

Alison

Default Vegan roommates wanted - in Birmingham!

Can anyone help my friend? She is buying a house in Birmingham(UK) -Copston Grove, on the edge of Weoley Castle, Selly Oak and Bournville. She'd like to rent out a couple of rooms to vegans(she's vegan). Anyone know anyone interested?
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Default Re: Vegan roommates wanted - in Birmingham!

I have to add that she's an extremely nice person and that I'd move in immediately if I could get out of the bloody contract in my bloody student halls of residence *rant*
    Victor Hugo

Default Re: Hi!! from Leo, Birmingham, England

It's just occurred to me that I didn't do what I normally do when I run across vegans in Birmingham, which is ask them if they've been to Jyoti (vegetarian Gujarati cuisine restaurant) yet - I've been a couple of times and really enjoyed the food, and what I found particularly endearing was that they had a menu where all the foods that weren't vegan were marked

There's a review on this page , along with review for other tasty sounding eateries in the area, which I'm sure you'll already have come across but it can't hurt to post, eh?

can you recomend me somewhere to grab take away lunch in central birmingham twinkle? I've got a meeting there in the morning
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

'The Warehouse Cafe'
    54-57 Allison Street
    Digbeth
    Birmingham
    Tel: 0121 633 0261

great place to eat vegan and vegetarian menu's

Leo xx
    Bad deeds, and deeds hurtful to ourselves, are easy to do; what is beneficial and good, that is very difficult to do

Default Re: Vegan Birmingham

Yes both the Warehouse cafe and Rooty Frooties are great lots of cheap and tasty vegan food - just need somewhere that sells vegan choc cake in Brum now the One Earth vegan shop is great too!

Still keep meaning to go to Joytis - just not worked out how to get there yet as its not in the city centre!

Alison

Had a nice tasty lunch at Rooti Frooties in Birmingham yesterday - basically filled a plate with all the vegan mains! chick pea curry, brown rice, veggie stew, mixed leaf and spinach salad and fantastic selection of roasted root veggies.

Nipped into One Earth veggie cafe up the road for a take out slice of vegan brownie the que for a table for lunch was to the top of the stairs! Great to see both these wonderful places packed out! (not good if you are in the que though

Alison

I can understand that people are queueing for One Earth's vegan brownie - it's gorgeous, isn't it?
    Victor Hugo

Yep i managed a whole one rather quickly yesterday - perched on the steps by the market! resisted going back for seconds!

Its really taken off there which is great but need to remember to arrive 12pm so i get a table next time! I tend to alternate between there and Rooties..............still cant decide on my fave - it depends what type of food im after...........but reckon foods fresher and healthier at Rooties, but One earths puds are cool!

Another Birmingham lunch out today..........at the One Earth cafe. Had chestnut and tomato soup, followed by 5 bean loaf with potato wedges and onion gravy with side salad.

Got a slice of banana and raisen cake to take out which was munched on train home!

Again the place was packed out with people waiting for tables - its really taken off there

Alison

Am sure ive tried the carrot cake and it was yummy!

Got to collect my screaming carrot choc cake this Fri from the vegan shop in Birmingham - ready for my birthday Sat

tabitha

Its my birthday soon and I was going to make my own (sad isnt it). Are there any mail order places any one can recommend?

Tiggerwoo

Just done a search on Google and this place delivers all over the UK. I'm sure if you ask them they would make a cake up to order.

http://www.village-bakery.com/index....tpage&Itemid=1

Hi

Would anyone be interested in a meet up in Birmingham? Thinking of the Warehouse cafe in Digbeth one Sat night? Anyone free any Sats in March? or could be a Friday if easier?

Alison

Blue Lotus do cakes but they are not the cheapest - nice and tasty (the choc one!)

Dont think Screaming carrot deliver past Birmingham?

Worth asking at any local vegan cafes/shops - the vegan cafe in Birmingham have sold me a whole cake before!

Alison

I posted in the other thread, Alison, before you moved over...if non-Brummies are welcome, I'd love to meet up as B'ham is not too far for me.
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Of course all are welcome have to see who is interested then try to sort an evening to suit everyone. Im happy to organise things but next few weeks might be hectic as Jed my dog is having a big op Tues. Im free most Sat eves in March at the mo

Cool, well, count me in! So far I'm relatively free, only definite no is w/e of 11th march when I'll be away. I hope all goes well for your dog.
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Default Re: Vegan Brum (Birmingham)

I'd love to meet up at the Warehouse sometime.
    Last edited by Zombified; Dec 7th, 2009 at 12:14 AM.

Just let me know some free eves in March and Il sort a booking - they are open Thu,Fri, Sat eves. Sat best for me, but could do a Fri?

Think dinner is 6.45-9, could move on to a pub after if anyone wanted but think my last train home is 10.50pm!

Anyone else free? Would anyone mind if I posted about this on other vegan forums? I know there is talk of Brum meet ups elsewhere

Sat suits me best. I'm flexible with times. I don't mind people not on this forum coming and I expect some here will want to bring their partners.
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Ok a Sat it is then - not 11th March so...........

4th March - too short notice?
    18th ?
    25th?

Im dont mind - see when the most people are free? It can sell out there so I will need to book soonish, thinking of 7pm or 7.30pm

Alison

Quote alisont
    It can sell out there so I will need to book soonish, thinking of 7pm or 7.30pm
    Alison
    Perhaps 18th or 25th is better then. Come on everyone! We want to meet you!
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Agreed either the 18th or 25th....whos free?

The meal will be at Rooti Frooties in Digbeth Birmingham. This is a great place for good quality veggie/vegan food with a juice bar too.

It is all on one level, the One Earth cafe up the road is upstairs with no lift for those who want to attend and cant manage the stairs.

Looking like the 18th March the fave date so far.....