Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegan Birmingham (Brum)

Default Re: Vegan Brum (Birmingham)

Shame, I can't make it before the end of term. I wish you loads of fun! And hopefully there'll be another meeting sometime!
    First it was necessary to civilize man in relation to man.
    Now it is necessary to civilize man in relation to nature and the animals.
    Victor Hugo

The meet up will be on the 18th about 7pm, about 12 people interested so far will have to book a table soon..............

Will keep you posted on updates..........

Alison

Hi everyone,

BVV (Birmingham Vegetarians and Vegans) have a pub meet-up shortly:

''Celebrate our 2nd Birthday at the Pub!

Celebrate BVV's second birthday by a meet-up at The Briar Rose Pub on Bennett's Hill, Birmingham City centre, around 7:30 pm on Wednesday 15th March. It is situated off New Street and off Colmore Row - dependent upon which way you are coming from. Please take the time to pop in.''

Please pop in and meet some like-minded people.

In the meantime, I'll see if some people can make the cafe on the Saturday.

Kind regards,

Frank.
    also at: frank@bvv.org.uk
    www.bvv.org.uk

Quote alisont
    The meet up will be on the 18th about 7pm, about 12 people interested so far will have to book a table soon..............

Will keep you posted on updates..........

Alison

Table is booked for 12 people, there is a big party in that night for a birthday celebration, so glad it's booked.

Will send more info out and directions nearer the time.............

Frank - think ive a parents eve at work on the 15th? so doubt il make the pub...........happy 2nd birthday to all at bvv

Alison

Hi Alison,

Please let me know If you are short in making up the 12.

Kind regards.

Well it was a great evening yesterday 12 people at Rooti Frooties eating some rather wonderful vegan grub the food and portions there are so good (I think i need to order a tray of the roasted vege to myself next time ) the vegan upside down pud was wonderful too.......

Was lovely to meet some new people

Thanks for a great evening everyone! (and to Rooties staff for the fab food)

Alison

I agree with Alison, especially about the roasted veg. I ate FAR too much food!!!
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

PS, I also got to meet the rather infamous Frank!
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Default Re: Vegan friendly restaurants in UK

Lunch out today at the fab Rootie Frooties in Birmingham, wonderful food - cant beat it even the great wheat free upside down cake...........

If anyones in Brum it is a place to go for tasty, fresh vegan food excellent value and service too

Alison

Lunch out today at the Warehouse cafe, Birmingham. Had aubergine and tomato/basil bake with vegan parmasen and breadcrum topping, potato wedges and mix leaf salad..........very nice!

Was gutted they had run out of the vegan pud - apple and pear upside down cake, had to nip to vegan shop next door for a tofutti ice cream cone!

Alison

princessemma

I had lunch at the Warehouse cafe last week, I had falafel and salad with potato wedges, my husband had the burger, wedges and the garlic and broccoli soup (he's like a bottomless pit) and then we had chocolate fudge cake with soya cream. Our daughter (age 3) just had wedges but she enjoyed her big bowl of chocolate ice-cream.

If you are ever in Birmingham go there it's really nice to have a choice other than pasta and tomato sauce or plain baked potato. Plus there's no nasty smells from cooking meat that you get in omni resturants.

Is there much to eat near Birmingham New street station on a Sunday?

Im afraid Warehouse and Rooti Frooties are i think shut Sundays, this place is open:

http://www.sibilasrestaurant.co.uk/

Not yet been but its meant to be good (but not cheap like other vegan friendly places)

Its about a 20 min walk from New St.

Theres sopmewhere called Soya i think in China town near to New st serves meat but good range of beancurd dishes im told, no more details im afraid.

There is a Wetherspoons the Briar Rose - 5-10 mins from New street - a no smoking one! limited to veggie burger or jacket/beans there....

Wagamama is near new street - well 10-15 mins walk by the bullring shopping centre - does several vegan things! also theres a bella pasta and pizza express.

Alison

you can eat at mine 10 min walk from Coventry station (on the Euston<-->Birmingham mainline) on a Sunday if i'm in
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Thanks for the offer.

What I was trying to plan was a sort of group london to birmingham excursion so some of us can see some of the forumites who live out that way.

Id be up for a vegan meet up in Brum let me know if i can help arrange anything?

The Sibila place caters for group bookings and can make more vegan dishes available if needed, ive heard their choc brownie cake is very good.

Lunch out today to celebrate National veggie week with members of both Lichfield and Birmingham veggies/vegan groups - 20 people went.

Ate here:http://www.khazanarestaurant.co.uk/

Superb food about 30 selections on the buffet only 6 were not vegan, when asked about vegan puds - none out on offer but swedish glace was produced all the food was so fresh and tasty - excellent range of dishes to try, and very helpful staff - explaining all the dishes and which dishes went well together.

£9.99 for lunchtime buffet, dont know how i missed this its been open 18 months, the first of many visits im sure!

Rooty Frooties my usual Sat lunch haunt was closed today - no idea why

Tried somewhere Id heard of but never got to instead - Cafe Soya behind the rag/indoor market. Serves meat/fish but lots of soya/tofu dishes, we both had the set lunch at £6.99 which included choice of drink (soya milk/shakes on there) a main vegan choice was hot and spicy beancurd and veggies with steamed rice and choice of fruit salad or soya dessert (mousse/yoghurt type soya dish with syrup/fruit)

We stated we were vegan and the waitress replied vegetarian but no egg and dairy.

They do rice noodles there, the wheat ones have egg in.

Food was very tasty and fresh - a tad hot for my taste buds as i dont use chilli a lot so im not use to it!

Alison

Went to Jyoti (Birmingham) with my parents tonight. They eat meat, but they didn't miss it at all and thorougly enjoyed their (vegetarian) meal. About 80% of the dishes are vegan anyway (only dessert is a bit difficult, but I doubt there'll be room for a dessert).
    Victor Hugo

Thats somewhere Id like to try - Jyotis, have tried Khazanas in Handsworth which friends say is the same style of food but buffet style. I want to organise a lunch there one Sunday soon.

I went to Rooty Frooties today for lunch, had vege curry, rice and beans and mixed roasted veggies plus spinach, pepper and alfalfa salad, all very nice as usual.

Forgot to add that a few weeks ago I went to Cafe Soya. Pershore street behind the markets, meat place but has vege soya menu with lots of tofu dishes. We had the set lunch menu drink of choice spicy tofu and vege and fruit salad or tofu mousse all for £6.95. You have to tell them your vegan and they ensure no dairy/egg goes near your food!

Alison

Cafe Soya have just re-opened their smaller premises over in the Arcadian as a vegetarian offshoot - you would still have to check for no eggs, but they do need all the v*an support they can get. We went yesterday, and it was v. delicious, but v. quiet!

The staff seemed suprised that we were raving about their mock duck (beancurd sheets) etc...It's a brave venture for them, coming from a heavy meat-eating culture, so do support them if you're in the area...

For a comment a couple back, they are quite close to the station, and are open on Sunday lunchtimes...

I phoned Cafe Soya last year when I was planning to go into birmingham. The lady on the other end had no clue what vegan meant, she asked her colleague on my request and they also didn't know.

I didnt know they had a veggie offshoot open! must try there. I found the staff at the new one knew what a vegan was - they seem to call vegans 'pure vegetarians' I did explain about no egg/dairy. The tofu was fab there so would be interested to try other dishes.

Will try next time Im in Brum.

Alison

Herbsman

Ever eaten at The Kitchen in the Custard Factory? They do some really nice food there...

Exclamation Birmingham hotel

Hallo.
    I do not speak very well English. To February I will have myself to be brought to Birmingham to center NEC Spring Fair and am trying a hotel vegan, I have found various restaurants vegan but of hotel nothing. Someone knows to me to say if they exist? Thanks many.
    Last edited by Korn; Oct 20th, 2006 at 08:45 AM. Reason: This post was from another thread...

I haven't heard of any hotels that are suitable. Your best bet may be looking for a B&B, where only breakfast (fruit etc) is provided and then eat out for other meals.

Im not aware either of any vegan hotels. Id go for a travelodge where there is no breakfast provided and go out to get breakfast - a juice or smoothie?

Or a small bed and breakfast?

Lots of places that serve vegan food in Birmingham

Alison

Default Re: Birmingham hotel

Quote vayu View Post
    Hallo.
    I do not speak very well English. To February I will have myself to be brought to Birmingham to center NEC Spring Fair and am trying a hotel vegan, I have found various restaurants vegan but of hotel nothing. Someone knows to me to say if they exist? Thanks many.
    When the vegan Society have stayed in Birmingham they book into a pub in Digbeth called The Old Crown. It is one of the oldest buildings in Birmingham, built around 1368 I think.

It is an omnivorous place - but they understand the word vegan and will cook you a good vegan breakfast.

It is also situated on the A45 - and buses stopping here take you straight to the NEC. The A45 is a main route.

You are also 1 minute from Rooty Frooty's and 5 MInutes from The Warehouse Cafe - both of which are vegetarian/vegan restaurants. You are also about an 8 minute walk to the city centre.

See http://www.theoldcrown.com/

A single room is £35 B&B.

Default Re: Vegan friendly restaurants in UK (other)

Don't know if this one has already been mentioned but I would recommend The Warehouse Cafe, Allison Street, Digbeth, Birmingham. Not far from Moor St Station the food is good and inexpensive. If you go in the day you might want to visit the One Earth Shop a total vegan shop below the cafe.

Default Re: Hi from italy

Hi Peppe, and welcome to the forum!

I'm not from Birmingham so maybe not the best person to advise you on the 'cheese' but I know you can usually buy it in health food shops, at least that's where I can get it.
    Hopefully, someone who can actually tell you of a specific place to buy it in Birmingham will be able to help you better!

Default Re: Hi from italy

Ciao Peppe,

welcome to the board!
    I'm currently living in Italy, but I have studied in Birmingham for the past two years, so hopefully I can help you. I've never bought Tofutti myself, but I remember seeing it in Holland & Barrett at New Street Station. They also sell similar "cheese" made by Redwoods.
    There is a completely vegan store called "One Earth Shop" in Allison Street. It's only two minutes away from the Bullring, but might be difficult to find if you don't know Birmingham. Right next to the shop is a wonderful vegan caf&#233;, if you do have time I'd highly recommend it.
    Victor Hugo

Hi Peppe

I live 15 miles from Birmingham, there are 3 branches of the Holland & Barrett health store in town:

One by New street station complex, one in Martinaux square and easiest to find is the one in the bottom level of the Bull ring shopping centre. They stock at least 3 types of tofutti.

There is also the One Earth shop in Allison Street, Digbeth that is all vegan open Monday to Sat 10-5 they stock tofutti too.

The cafe above called the Warehouse is great for food here is the website:

http://www.thewarehousecafe.com/index.php

Other places to eat whilst in Birmingham are:

http://www.sibilasrestaurant.co.uk/ but a fair walk from the town, you would need a map!

and there is a juice bar called Rooty Frooties in a complex called the Custard Factory - does good vegan food at lunch, this place is in Digbeth - let me know if you need directions?

Hope that helps please ask if you need more information!

Alison

Can anyone tell me what sort of food Rooty Frooty do? I go to Birmingham quite a lot shopping for the day and it's a bit far to walk to The Custard factory just for lunch if I don't like it when I get there - cos I don't think they have a website?

Same goes for Sibila's - I have seen their website and it looks nice but is it worth the walk????

Not been to Sibilas but its got the menu on the website i think?

Rootys has about 3-4 hot dishes - regulars are roasted vege (v yummy!) a bean chilli, dalh, rice sometimes salad and a juice bar.

They have a couple of veggie not vegan dishes so do say your vegan!

£5.50 a plate - any mix you want or £4 a bowl with 3 foods in.

They also do vegan sarnies like BLTS!

Its nice to go there I tend to alternate with Warehouse cafe which is current fave of mine!

Does anyone know what rooty frooty's opening hours are? and if they have a website?
    ta

Not sure there? I have only been weekend lunchtimes - sometimes the foods gone by 1.30-2pm. They open all night at the weekend - but more for drinks unless you book for food i think?

Dont think they have a website yet?

Do many young people go to that group at the warehouse cafe? I might go

Theres always a mix of ages at the Warehouse.

Do you mean meetings or for meals Abby?

Those birmingham vegetarians and vegans group meetings or whatever they are

Quote Abby View Post
    Those birmingham vegetarians and vegans group meetings or whatever they are
    Hi Abby,

You will always find a mixture of people from ages to backgrounds.

Normally BVV (Birmingham Vegetarians & Vegans) get 40 odd people to a meet.

They do not meet at the Warehouse cafe any more. They now neet up at Carrs Lane Meeting rooms, Carrs Lane, Birmingham City centre. But still on the fourth Tuesday of every month.

They also host a variety of events too from coach trips to festivals, BBQs etc - about 60 events last year.

For more details please go to www.bvv.org.uk
    I Think, Therefore I Am A Vegan

Quote Frank View Post
    Normally BVV (Birmingham Vegetarians & Vegans) get 40 odd people to a meet...
    I like odd people

Quote twinkle View Post
    I like odd people
    I could actually say I meant that - but I will not on the basis it may discriminate - against me!

Seriously though you couldn't meet a better bunch of people.

Well I might be at the next one. I'd love to meet some odd people. I am weird! 27th Feb

...you would fit in nicely then

The next meet is Feb 27th and is 'Jills film'.

Does anyone know where in Birmingham if possible I can get stuff to be able to grow tomatos at home? It must be organic

Hi Frank

you were nice the other day

You're welcome

Does anyone know anywhere in Brum to buy good Indian ingrediants not commonly available in supermarkets? Or any decent Indian stores would be a help..

What sort of ingredients are you after?

I am just looking for a greater choice of Indian stuff. Any main Indian store would be good.