Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegan Birmingham (Brum)

Default Re: Vegan Brum (Birmingham)

Lots of shops in Sparkhill, Sparkbrook, along the Stratford road (id link visit with meal at Joyotis!) and Small Heath - the supermarkets there all stock a good range of herbs/spices etc...also cheap tins of chick peas and pulses etc...

Asda at Small Heath has a big range of Indian food supplies

Handsworth is also a good bet - lots of shops along the Soho road

There is a massive Indian supermarket think its called Select and Save on the Stratford road at Sparkhill. Has a free car park.

If you go to Joyotis then the sweet shop next door does nice vegan treats - the owners will explain which items are vegan.

Afraid im not good on directions or bus routes, Small Heath is on the 57/58/60 route, dont know about the Stratford road?

I'd agree with Stratford Road, Sparkhill area.

Asda's store is at Hay Mills Island.

The vegan only shop - The One Earth in Digbeth - has a small collection of spices/organic beans/pulses etc - but they can normally buy in what you want from their suppliers. Phone 0121 632 6909 and ask to be put through to the shop.
    I Think, Therefore I Am A Vegan

Great reply alisont. Thanks for that.

Frank, will have a look in The One Earth. Cheers.

Kevster

The Vegan Society are now knocking about in Birmingham, and i think they could do with a few volunteers to help around the place, so anyone with some time, could get in touch.

Default Re: Vegan friendly restaurants in UK (outside London)

Went out for lunch to the warehouse cafe in Birmingham had mushroom and roasted vege burger with yummy garlic, corriander and hazlenut pesto with mixed salad and pot wedges, followed by warm choc brownie with vanilla glace and choc sauce food there is so good and these days much more vegan than veggie.

Rooty Frootys was sold recently.

It is now omnivorous and not just a dedicated vegetarian and vegan restaurant.

Moves are afoot to make the weekends just veg*an only - but no further news yet.

They no longer bake cakes on site so it is unlikely you will now get a vegan one.

I didnt know that what a shame the food use to be good there, not been for ages.

I've never been! And now it is too late. I love the Warehouse Cafe so much I have trouble making myself eat anywhere else when I am in Birmingham.

The carrot cake with soya cream....mmmmm... *does Homer Simpson style drool*
    "Only after the last tree has been cut down,the last fish caught [and] the last river poisoned;only then will you realise that money cannot be eaten"

Does anyone know anywhere in the city centre where you can get anything vegan for breakfast? I will be there pretty early on a Saturday morning. Thanks!

I had a yummy lunch at the Warehouse cafe in Brum today handmade flat bread with falafel, mixed leaf salad, hummus, dip and then i was feeling like salad so ordered a side order of more mixed leaf plus potato salad and carrot & chick pea salad

I brought a slab of choc fudge cake home and have just had 1/2 of it warmed with vanilla glace

I am now trying to ignore the fact that i brought 1 vegan cream egg whilst in the vegan shop

I must have missed you Ali.

Went there for a late lunch.

Also bought my first tub of rice cream from the One Earth shop downstairs - now all gone!!

I was there around 12.30pm Frank, went to the shop first then for lunch, had to head off after to go shopping.

Ive got the strawberry and choc rice dream

Quote EFCliz View Post
    Does anyone know anywhere in the city centre where you can get anything vegan for breakfast? I will be there pretty early on a Saturday morning. Thanks!

Sorry - must have missed this.

Rooty Frooty did do a vegan breakfast - they are based in Digbeth - But - can't say what the score is since they went omni.

Their number is: 0121 224 8458.

I think Starbuck's in the Bull Ring do vegan sandwiches too - but do not know what time they open.

It depends on what time you call early!

Sage Wholefoods in Moseley is closing down at the end of this month.

That's pretty bad news I'm afraid.

Drat!!

That is very bad news Sage has been there for years I use to go with my mum as a kid Im sure?

Such a shame that.

Herbsman

Default Guide to finding vegan food in Birmingham city centre

http://veganbrum.wordpress.com/

Here's a guide for people visiting Birmingham city centre, to make it easier to find good vegan food while you’re out and about...

treaclemine

Default Re: Guide to finding vegan food in Birmingham city centre

This looks great! The new Vegetarian Birmingham guide is about to be published on paper, and it's been put together by a vegan ;-) The two could be perfect complements ...

Default Re: Guide to finding vegan food in Birmingham city centre

Yes its a good guide that one youve introduced me to Baguette du monde as i never realised they did cheap vegan food!

Looking foward to the Vegan Brum booklet too

Does anyone know where I can get wheatgrass from?

Wheat grain, water [ or something warm and nutritious to plants ], and light.
    Problematic is waking someone whom pretends to sleep.

Quote whalespace View Post
    Wheat grain, water [ or something warm and nutritious to plants ], and light.
    That's how you make wheatgrass?

I planted some wheat at my allotment a few years ago; just a row.

I bought a sack for sprouting...for about 8 quid as I recall...might have been 15 kilograms but I would get it confused with the peas...but it was not 25kg.

Goodness foods sell it in 3 kilo sacks. I asked at a local farm but the 'lady' said she could not sell it to me because it was not fit for human consumption...only for cows.

I've been dry roasting it lately [cold and lazy].

I met a wheat grass seller [wheat grass powder anyway] at a fayre. I was stunned by the [high] price. I asked a few questions....I half remember that the grass was not months old.

Have you got a friend with a lawn and a liquidiser?

Oh...and this all happened very close to Birmingham.
    Problematic is waking someone whom pretends to sleep.

I might have friends with lawns and liquidisers. I'm guessing an old neighbour has somewhere to plant that she pays for

treaclemine

I hear that Nima's in Moseley want to start stocking some of the lines that Sage used to carry. Any locals able to pop in to the shop and check this out?

I was walking by the Bullring today and noticed a new restaurant Mount Fuji Japenese food.

Its an omi restaurant and sushi place but it does have several dishes suitable for vegans,

Agedashi Tofu Bento
    Edamame Beans
    Tofu Steak

I went in to ask if these dishes were vegan and the chef said they are 100% vegan and cooked in different pans/grills than the meat/fish.

I have not eaten there, but this is the website:

www.mountfuji.co.uk

Apologies for the fact there are a lot of meat/fish dishes on there - but the vegan dishes sounded a bit different and healthy and the chefs knew what a vegan is!

The online shop has a lot of tofu and miso items for sale, but no ingredients lists there.

I might well visit for lunch one weekend, but its hard to try somewhere other than the Warehouse!

New Vegetarian restaurant in the area!!

Surti
    250 Wednesbury Road, Pleck, Walsall, WS2 9QN. 01922 725 314

These are the guys that have a place at the One Stop Shopping Centre in Perry Barr, Birmingham - take away stuff only in the shopping centre though.

Directions - courtesy of a friend:

''If you are driving from Birmingham I suggest you come off the M6 at J9 and take last exit (3rd I think) onto Bescott Road heading to Walsall on A4148. Carry on over one crossroads until you come to the next cross roads at the junction with A4038 into Wednesbury Road. You will notice that the road is curved at this point. Surti will be on the left hand side of the road on this curved part. If you can't park nearby in the main road there are side roads where you should be able to park.

If you are coming from Birmingham on public transport then you can get trains from New Street station to Walsall. Dep 5.37 arr 6.25 or 6.12 arr 6.34. You will need to find your way to Bradford Place to get a 311a bus at 6.40 which will take you along Bradford Street, which continues into Wednesbury Road. Look out for Surti restaurant on your right hand side where there is a curve in the road. Alternative buses are 334 and 339.

Hope these directions are helpful for you.''

They say that almost all of their dishes can be made vegan and they never use ghee.

I'm popping in soon to try them out and will let you know how I get on

I went to Surti's in Walsall last night.

It's a nice small, perhaps cosy place with really nice staff - all seem to be family based.

The food was great, bit spicy for some and a wealth of dishes from India, Mexico and China.

The menu was hard work - not a lot of explanation for what each dish comprises - although if you go there several times i'm sure that people would pick up quite easily.

They struggled to serve our table of 14 and the meal went from 7pm to 11pm!!

However, they have listened to us and have agreed to publish a separate vegan menu - with explanations. Now that's - service!

I recommend you try it.

Sounds good but too far for me to get to without a car

Quote alisont View Post
    Sounds good but too far for me to get to without a car
    Its a short walk from Bescot Stadium or Walsall railway stations - or a short bus trip from either.

Its the getting to Walsall that takes time as id have to go via Brum so prob take 1 1/2 hours to get there or more!

Maybe one day!

It was a great night out last night (and this morning!!) at the multi band gig in Birmingham.

There were loads of vegans there and several forumers too - and I also met Sprite1986 - who looks even more gorgeous than she did last February 07

Shame I couldnt go, glad it was a good evening, i knew several people going so wished id of been there

There's now a new health food shop in Moseley, on the corner near the Bull's Head pub where the vintage shop was. I haven't been there yet (I don't live in Brum, just visit my worse half there) but have heard that it is better than Sage was.

Quote Lisey_duck View Post
    There's now a new health food shop in Moseley, on the corner near the Bull's Head pub where the vintage shop was. I haven't been there yet (I don't live in Brum, just visit my worse half there) but have heard that it is better than Sage was.
    I'm guessing that is where I went recently. Similar to what One Earth Shop sell. I had a good chat to some male working there.

Did you stay to the end at the Wagon and Horses or whatever it is called, Frank?

Quote Lisey_duck View Post
    I will pop over to Moseley and call into that shop soon.

Quote Abby View Post
    Did you stay to the end at the Wagon and Horses or whatever it is called, Frank?
    Yes. The music was well over but some people were still hanging around chatting.

It was a really good night.

Had the buffet lunch at Sibilas today nice chilled lunch overlooking the canal and birds there. For once I didnt get lost finding the place!

For £5.99 you get to help yourself to soup, minestrone today really good, homemade rye bread, then salads, and 6 hot dishes, 4 were vegan, puy lentil dish, rice, wonderful chick pea tagine and wounderful aubergine and tofu dish really tasty food. The pasta and tofu korma were not vegan.

I can you believe it was too full to try the choc and almond cake or the vegan death by choc cake but would of been another £3.90 for pud and i was too full!

Excellent value and really healthy yummy food high protein too

Shame it was so quiet there, think next time Il go for a float tank session then lunch, i shall be well spaced out then as float tanks make me really trippy

WildWitch

Hello, hope you dont mind me popping by, i used to live and work in the midlands, born in Birmingham and lived there most of my life till 3 years ago when i ended up in Wales where i am now.

Anyway would just like to say that the Custard factory is the best place to eat for vegan stuff, love the atmosphear there and the food is good. I do visit Brum often as my family are still there and its great to pop into town and have a nice vegan lunch. I always recommend the custard factory to anyone visiting Brum whos veggie or vegan or even not cause its just a good place to go. I do miss the balti triangle though Mmmmmm always safe there for a veganised dish of some kind, though must say theres a wonderful balti place a block down the road from me here in Wales that does amazing vegan curries specialy for me YAY!

Where did you go for food at the Custard Factory?

Most people used to eat in Rooty's when it was a vegetarian/vegan place - but most stopped going when it became 'ordinary' - it changed hands and started selling meat

The Warehouse Cafe does good nosh these days and is a short walk from the Custard Factory

WildWitch

Quote Frank View Post
    Where did you go for food at the Custard Factory?

Most people used to eat in Rooty's when it was a vegetarian/vegan place - but most stopped going when it became 'ordinary' - it changed hands and started selling meat

The Warehouse Cafe does good nosh these days and is a short walk from the Custard Factory
    Last time i went (last year) we outside in the square by the water, think it was rootys though not exactly sure now. I dont remember there being meat dishes sold there. When did that happen?

I have been in the warehouse, that was nice.

I can imagine a lot of regulars would have boycotted rooty's if they have now started selling meat, thats a shame, bit of a let down isnt it.

Yes - sounds like you were at Rooty's. Possibly before they went to meat.

WildWitch

Quote Frank View Post
    Yes - sounds like you were at Rooty's. Possibly before they went to meat.
    Well i dont think ill want to eat there again if they have turned out like that YUK! I will be spending some time down there during the summer hols (as much time as i can stand staying at mums) so i will pop down there, havnt been in a while. Is that wonderful green man still there?

The 30 foot statue?

Yes!

WildWitch

Quote Frank View Post
    The 30 foot statue?

Yes!
    wow great!

Every time i go to Brum i notice so many changes, so fast moving or is it since i moved to Wales where time seems to stand still a little longer than Brum.

Its so weird, i actualy get lost in my home town nowadays EIKS

Bad news!!!!

Sibilas vegetarian and vegan restaurant on the canal near Broad Street has closed down

This was facilitated due to the closure of Body & Being where the restaurant is based and was originally part of, and then continued to trade there as Sibilas.

Sibilas state on their website that they are looking around for alternative sites - so we may not have lost them yet.

Please keep track of this for further info:

http://www.sibilasrestaurant.co.uk/

What a shame and a loss, I dodnt go there as much as the Warehouse but it was a good quality friendly restaurant, their lunchtime buffet was really good too and going more vegan too. The world food influences were great!

Body and being was the only natural spa I know of in Birmingham - and Ive lost those wonderful floatation tanks too

I do hope they will manage to re open soon elsewhere in Brum - was a nice setting there - but a more central location may help as it was often quiet there.

Jyoti Vegetarian Restaurant based at Stratford Road, Sparkhill, Birmingham, is to close.

The good news is that it is moving to new premises in Hall Green - still on the stratford Road

The move will take place in September.

Jyotis have a take away service operating from Hall Green now. They will enable a restaurant at the facility over the coming months.

I will post address details later.

Loads of parking at the new site by the way - still on a main bus route from/to the city and only a few minutes walk from Hall Green railway station. This location i'm sure will mean more business in the future for Jyotis.

Good luck to them

You almost made my cry now, but your second sentence saved me
    Haven't been there for a couple of months, but Jyoti never disappoints.
    First it was necessary to civilize man in relation to man.
    Now it is necessary to civilize man in relation to nature and the animals.
    Victor Hugo