Thread: 1000 kcal - eat once a day, then once in 2 days.

Default 1000 kcal - eat once a day, then once in 2 days.

I am a raw vegan from April 1, 2014.

My diet was: 250 gr. wheat, or buckwheat, or couscous or green peas, which I soak in raw water and two tomatoes, two apples (or the same amount of melon or mango), 5-6
    lettuce leaves once a day.
    I drink only a raw water.
    My height is1m.83 cm.

For the first
    2 months of this diet, my weight dropped from 115 kg. to 83 kg and then for a month has not changed.
    Feeling that my weight will no longer be changed, I went for eating this ration - 1000 kcal once in 2 days.
    Today, my weight is 78 kg and I feel near the point of it’s stabilization.
    If my assumption is correct, it turns out that in order to maintain the normal functioning of my body I need 4 - 5 times less calories than the ordinary person, which normally eats 2000 – 2500 kcal. a day.
    I also feel that my body generates all needfull alkaloids and opiates and in the required quantities.
    This is in my opinion the main reason why I have no desire to drink alcohol, smoke, use drugs, coffee, tea, spices, salt, sugar, pastries, bread, meat, fish and dairy products.

Default Re: 1000 kcal - eat once a day, then once in 2 days.

I functioned on a much lower amount of calories than the normal person for six years (three of them as a vegan and some of that time raw), maintaining my weight between 40-48 kg at a height of 166m.37cm. Though I felt "fine", internal blood, ECG, and x-ray tests showed that I had severe bradycardia, hypotension, worsening thyroid problems, and worsening osteoporosis. I lost a TON of bone density according to my DXA scans between 2006 and 2014 and this year finally had to give in and start taking an osteoporosis medication before my spine completely crumbles (I also lost height). I have had countless injuries and some minor stress fractures already and was having chronic bone pain all the time until I finally upped my calories and got back to a normal weight and started on the osteoporosis meds.

I don't think one could safely sustain themselves on that low amount of calories in the long term, and when you begin to eat more, the weight will pack on because your metabolism is slowed and not functioning optimally. I know from experience. And I exercised daily and vigorously throughout my six years of being a low weight and eating very little. Definitely not safe. From what I understand, most raw vegans actually consume MORE calories than others in order to sustain themselves with the nutrients they need. At least that is what I read from the 80/10/10 raw fruitarian style of eating.

Hi - what is your objective in eating like this, if I may ask?

It's an interesting experiment, but to add to the good points Robin makes, I would be worried that it might not be possible to get the nutrients (e.g. vitamins and minerals) that one needs for long-term health by eating so little and with not a huge amount of variety.

To take just one example, there is a lot of stuff that you can get from dark green leafy vegetables such as cabbage, so it seems a pity to miss out on that - I don't think lettuce leaves are quite so good as a source of calcium or iron?

I'm not sure what response you are after here, are we supposed to be thinking you are doing something marvellous and we are all crazy for eating as much as we do, are you just making a statement and we should admire your ability to persevere with such extreme limits of punishing your body, or do you want us to tell you have found the key to a good and healthy life?

how does eating so little calories fit in with your lifestyle, do you exercise, do you do any manual work, are you very sedentary? The problem with eating so few calories is that you may feel fine, but you only have to look to people who have been anorexic for a few short years to realise that it ultimately damages the body. Calories aren't the bad things they are made out to be, they are energy for your body to use as fuel, energy it needs to maintain its organs and nerves and mental function, at 6 feet tall i'd hazard a guess you arent getting enough fuel into your body for long term health and cell regeneration. Maybe in 20 years you'll prove me wrong....
    "when the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace" Jimi Hendrix

I functioned on a much lower amount of calories than the normal person for six years (three of them as a vegan and some of that time raw), maintaining my weight between 40-48 kg at a height of 166m.37cm.
    Something wrong about your height.
    May be your height 1m. 66cm.?

Though I felt "fine", internal blood, ECG, and x-ray tests showed that I had severe bradycardia, hypotension, worsening thyroid problems, and worsening osteoporosis. I lost a TON of bone density according to my DXA scans between 2006 and 2014 and this year finally had to give in and start taking an osteoporosis medication before my spine completely crumbles (I also lost height). I have had countless injuries and some minor stress fractures already and was having chronic bone pain all the time until I finally upped my calories and got back to a normal weight and started on the osteoporosis meds.
    What was your weight in the first day of your diet?
    Did you have those illness or any else before your diet?
    How many calories were in your daily portions of food?
    If your height is 1m. 66cm. and your age is less than 40 years old, then your normal weight should be 56 kg plus - minus 5.6 kg.
    Thus, your weight should not be less than 50.4kg.
    Thus your critical point was 50.4 kg, but you waited maybe a few years before you reached 40 kg. before going to the doctor.

I am 64 and my normal weight should be 83 kg. plus-minus 8.3 kg.
    If I was less than 40 years old, my normal weight should be 73kg. plus- minus 7.3kg.
    Eaten at 1 time per day 1000kcal my weight stabilized at 83 kg.
    Eaten at 1 time per 2 days 1000kcal, my weight today is 78 kg.
    If my weight will drop below 73 kg, I will add more calories until it stabilizes at this figure.
    But if my weight will stabilized for example at 75kg. I will go to the eating 1000kkal 1 time per 3 days.
    Most likely my weight will try to go down of 73 kg, but I will stop it on the figure 73 kg. by increasing quantity of the same food for eating once per 3 days.
    I don't think one could safely sustain themselves on that low amount of calories in the long term, and when you begin to eat more, the weight will pack on because your metabolism is slowed and not functioning optimally. I know from experience. And I exercised daily and vigorously throughout my six years of being a low weight and eating very little. Definitely not safe.
    I have read about one experiment.
    One group was given 2500 kcal food at 4 times a day eating, the second group - 3 times a day, third - 2 times a day, the fourth - 1 time a day.
    The average weight of the participants of the first group did not change, the second group - increased by 23 gr. a day, the third group - increased by 48gr. per day, and the fourth group was increased by 83 g. a day.
    It means that eating once a day is healthier than 4 times a day, but it is necessary to eat 83 kcal less food, for not to add extra weight, which is harmful to health.

About my metabolism.
    When I ate 1000kkal 1 times per day I had stomach 1 times per day.
    Now I eat 1000kkal 1 time per 2 days and I have stomach in the same amount 1 time per 2 days as usual.

From what I understand, most raw vegans actually consume MORE calories than others in order to sustain themselves with the nutrients they need. At least that is what I read from the 80/10/10 raw fruitarian style of eating.
    How many times a day they eat?
    How many rcal. they eat in a day?
    What does it mean 80/10/10/10?

Hi - what is your objective in eating like this, if I may ask?
    I have been explaining my global social project "New Saturday" in the streets of Jerusalem and Tel Aviv.
    To cook food on a gas stove, to go to the restaurant, to use the refrigerator I have no ability.
    To buy all sorts of rubbish fast food I do not want.
    This diet allows me to live in the street of big city 6 days a week and spend on food during this time 8-9 dollars.
    For almost five months of this diet, my health, thank God, as minmum not deteriorated but I strongly suspect that it has improved, because I feel so.

It's an interesting experiment, but to add to the good points Robin makes, I would be worried that it might not be possible to get the nutrients (e.g. vitamins and minerals) that one needs for long-term health by eating so little and with not a huge amount of variety.

To take just one example, there is a lot of stuff that you can get from dark green leafy vegetables such as cabbage, so it seems a pity to miss out on that - I don't think lettuce leaves are quite so good as a source of calcium or iron?
    The whole set of amino acids found in the protein of meat I get, as I have been explaned from the intestinal bacterias.
    In order to have enough meat protein, the row vegan person have to eat no more than once in 2 days, as I have been explaned.
    According this explanation many vegans and row vegans feel bad just because they eat almost all day long
    They have frequent stomach and intestinal bacteria have no time to be eaten by their body.
    The main reason of their problems - lack of meat protein amino acids in their body.

As for vitamins and other substances mineranyh I'm not against to eat any raw water soaked cereals, legumes, nuts and vegetables and fruits.
    With fruits and vegetables need to be attentive to those who have diabetes.

I'm not sure what response you are after here, are we supposed to be thinking you are doing something marvellous and we are all crazy for eating as much as we do, are you just making a statement and we should admire your ability to persevere with such extreme limits of punishing your body, or do you want us to tell you have found the key to a good and healthy life?
    In the limit, I see myself feeding once a week on Saturday and eating no more than 2500 calories of vegan raw food.
    My weight is 73 kg.
    My body is flexible, endurance and strong .
    My head is in permanent creative insight and enlightenment.
    But today I am close to the transition to eat 1 time in 3 or possibly 1 time in 4 days with the consumption of 1300 - 1600 kcal in those 3 or 4 days.

how does eating so little calories fit in with your lifestyle, do you exercise, do you do any manual work, are you very sedentary? The problem with eating so few calories is that you may feel fine, but you only have to look to people who have been anorexic for a few short years to realise that it ultimately damages the body. Calories aren't the bad things they are made out to be, they are energy for your body to use as fuel, energy it needs to maintain its organs and nerves and mental function, at 6 feet tall i'd hazard a guess you arent getting enough fuel into your body for long term health and cell regeneration. Maybe in 20 years you'll prove me wrong....
    73 kg – it will be my down limit.
    3500 kcal of raw vegan food – it will be my up limit in my “eating once a week” futur lifestyle.
    I feel and hope that it really will be so.

Quote Nationalcosmopolit View Post
    Something wrong about your height.
    May be your height 1m. 66cm.?

What was your weight in the first day of your diet?
    Did you have those illness or any else before your diet?
    How many calories were in your daily portions of food?
    If your height is 1m. 66cm. and your age is less than 40 years old, then your normal weight should be 56 kg plus - minus 5.6 kg.
    Thus, your weight should not be less than 50.4kg.
    Thus your critical point was 50.4 kg, but you waited maybe a few years before you reached 40 kg. before going to the doctor.
    I am not used to using the metric system for weight/height as I live in the U.S. so I used a conversion calculator but I must have made a typo. I maintained for years naturally at a weight range between 112 to 122 lbs (from age 21 when I quit dancing to 33). I never counted calories but estimate I probably consumed 1800 to 2000 calories per day back then? I was active but not intensively so. I gained to 132 lbs for a short time in 2008 at the age of 36 when I quit smoking (had smoked for nine years starting when I was 26 years old), and I began to diet which snowballed into anorexia. I was 5'5.5-5'6" most of my adult life (I lost a little height due to my osteoporosis). I was an omnivore at that time but ate fairly healthy (fatty fish, fruits and vegetables, whole grains etc...intolerant to most dairy so didn't consume it much). I didn't become vegan until 2011 so my disordered eating started much sooner. When I was restricting I ate between 800 to 1300 calories a day. I started at 1300 and exercised an hour each day, then lowered to 1100 then down to 800 as I got smaller to maintain the loss. I could still maintain later on 1300 calories at a low weight but my body eventually protested and I began to binge uncontrollably at times, prompting more extreme measures to maintain. I might add that I went through surgical menopause and lost both ovaries, uterus etc when I was 33 years old so even though I was younger my body was changed due to lack of hormones from the surgery. I have been on hormone replacement therapy all along but I can attest that the amount of hormone it puts out is nowhere near what my premenopausal ovaries made before. My metabolism was probably slightly slower because of that. I have also had hypothyroidism for 26 years and am treated for it. Still I could never maintain on such low calories. I would either keep losing or as I mentioned go through periods of uncontrollable binges as my body would fight me for equilibrium.

80/10/10 means 80 % carbs, 10% protein, and 10% fat. I am not all for this way of eating but it is a raw vegan high fruit high carb low fat way of eating endorsed by Douglas Graham. The people who seem to have the most success with it are those that consume a higher calorie amount daily and also exercise intensively.

Fasting for a cause is a time honored tradition. Perhaps eat nothing for a set period of time, then eat sensibly. I have read about euphoria & clarity resulting from fasting. I wonder if some of the OPs happy feelings stem from that phenomenon.

If its a question of economics it might be wiser to try to choose foods that pack in the most nutrients for a budget without counting kcals as they are not an indicator of nutrition or quality. A higher density of nutrition in foods consumed generally results in less calories consumed & ideal weight overall. Long term, kCals are for people who don't eat right but still want to look skinny. The body can adapt to deprivation but at some point sacrifices will be made. Your heart, muscles, bones, brain, etc.? That sacrifice does nothing to improve your life or the lives of those around you. Moderation and thoughtfulness are the keys to food. A better form of restriction is to restrict foods that do harm. Once you've mastered that, find other areas in life to do less harm and more good. It makes for a very happy, powerful, grounded life that improves life for everyone.
    Last edited by jaimieag; Aug 23rd, 2014 at 12:29 AM.

I am not used to using the metric system for weight/height as I live in the U.S. so I used a conversion calculator but I must have made a typo. I maintained for years naturally at a weight range between 112 to 122 lbs (from age 21 when I quit dancing to 33). I never counted calories but estimate I probably consumed 1800 to 2000 calories per day back then? I was active but not intensively so. I gained to 132 lbs for a short time in 2008 at the age of 36 when I quit smoking (had smoked for nine years starting when I was 26 years old), and I began to diet which snowballed into anorexia. I was 5'5.5-5'6" most of my adult life (I lost a little height due to my osteoporosis). I was an omnivore at that time but ate fairly healthy (fatty fish, fruits and vegetables, whole grains etc...intolerant to most dairy so didn't consume it much). I didn't become vegan until 2011 so my disordered eating started much sooner. When I was restricting I ate between 800 to 1300 calories a day. I started at 1300 and exercised an hour each day, then lowered to 1100 then down to 800 as I got smaller to maintain the loss. I could still maintain later on 1300 calories at a low weight but my body eventually protested and I began to binge uncontrollably at times, prompting more extreme measures to maintain. I might add that I went through surgical menopause and lost both ovaries, uterus etc when I was 33 years old so even though I was younger my body was changed due to lack of hormones from the surgery. I have been on hormone replacement therapy all along but I can attest that the amount of hormone it puts out is nowhere near what my premenopausal ovaries made before. My metabolism was probably slightly slower because of that. I have also had hypothyroidism for 26 years and am treated for it. Still I could never maintain on such low calories. I would either keep losing or as I mentioned go through periods of uncontrollable binges as my body would fight me for equilibrium.

If you are the man till 40 years – low red line of your weight is 105.91-105.98 lbs.
    Because your surgery it is difficult to say what is the reason for your bad state of health - in your diet or in your operation.
    My hypothesis bases on very small experience of my vegan raw eating and the Internet video and it tell that vegan which does not eat meat, fish and dairy products will feel badly if he eats more often than once a day.
    Because his meat fibers are deduced from intestines and have not time to be eaten by his organism.

Fasting for a cause is a time honored tradition. Perhaps eat nothing for a set period of time, then eat sensibly. I have read about euphoria & clarity resulting from fasting. I wonder if some of the OPs happy feelings stem from that phenomenon.

I am an engineer and inventor who became a social designer and inventor.
    Therefore sensations of creative rise, inspiration, revelation and even an enlightenment I know very well.
    These fine sensations dominate in my mentality almost 5 months.
    I am free from stress even in negative vital situations.

If its a question of economics it might be wiser to try to choose foods that pack in the most nutrients for a budget without counting kcals as they are not an indicator of nutrition or quality. A higher density of nutrition in foods consumed generally results in less calories consumed & ideal weight overall.

For example what products do you offer and in what quantity?
    I eat simple products without any shifts.
    Practically all except of flour, dairy, fish and meat products, rice and a potato, salt, sugar, spices, any drinks, except for raw “water of life”(oppose boiled “water of death”)

Long term, kCals are for people who don't eat right but still want to look skinny. The body can adapt to deprivation but at some point sacrifices will be made. Your heart, muscles, bones, brain, etc.? That sacrifice does nothing to improve your life or the lives of those around you. Moderation and thoughtfulness are the keys to food. A better form of restriction is to restrict foods that do harm. Once you've mastered that, find other

I do not really understand my points of sacrificing.
    At my health, I do not complain, God thanks.
    About weight?
    I will not let it to be decreased below the normal for 40 years old male - 73 kg.
    Full meat protein I get from the bacterias of the intestine without defetsita.
    All kinds of vitamins and other micronutrients I get from cereals, legumes, vegetables and fruits.
    My body produces for me the best in the world alcohol in an amount that equivalent to 312 gr. of vodka for two days.
    It also provides me with 500 species of opiates in optimal proportions and amounts.
    I have a healthy appetite of 18 years old man when I eat my food.

Time goes on, and my diet and regime of eating develop too.
    I want to tell about my experiment to forum members and to continue the discussion.
    Eating 1 time in 2 days my weight has been kept constant at 75 kg and for a month has not changed.
    That's already 2 weeks since I eat the same diet, but 1 eating in every 4 days, and my weight this morning was 74 kg.
    I eat in this one eating 2000 kcal.
    I hope within a month or two after adjusting of this stage to come to an other one – to eat only in THE SEVENTH DAYS of a week (for the Jews - Saturday, for Christians - Sonday, for Muslims - Friday).
    I expect to eat 3000 - 3500 kcal, to keep my weight 73 - 75 kg, and continue to have a great feeling and good health as in those 6 months of my diet.
    Until all is easy, and this is the key word of my life philosophy.