Thread: Am i not 100% committed?

Default Am i not 100% committed?

I have been mostly eating vegan foods for almost a week.

I'm concerned that I have used the excuse that it was a mistake to eat (flapjack for example with butter) something, because I forgot my husband doesn't eat nuts when i bought it.... or (falafel for example) because I didn't look at the ingredients and i wasn't buying our food separately, or didn't have a lot of time.

I find it disturbingly easy not to make vegan choices about once sometimes twice a day

I have made huge improvements since my omni diet a week ago, but i really feel like my heart is in it but some weak part of my brain is not.

just so as not to waste food seems to be the main reason - after having bought the stuff!!

I'm sure my mum would eat the rest of the falafels!

I keep starting new and breaking it, I've eaten about 45 items or times in the last week and 9 things weren't vegan.
    am committed to be vegan, but then my hand to mouth goes automatic as though it is chocolate i'm trying not to eat.

Default Re: Am i not 100% committed?

Panic ye not, Clouddog!

Avoiding all things non-vegan is incredibly hard.

Just keep practising diligence in checking stuff out and you'll get better and better at spotting the non-vegan stuff over time.
    All done in the best possible taste ...

what's wrong with your falafels? they are probably second only to tofu as the food everyone knows is vegan

it's easy to make mistakes because you've been programmed to eat anything without thinking of the ingredients, habits sometimes die hard, but after 3 months of reading labels you'll be a whizz at it
    "when the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace" Jimi Hendrix

I have come across non-vegan felafels too - incredibly annoying when they put honey or something else unnecessary in.

As the others say, you're doing fine clouddog - shopping for vegan stuff will rapidly get a lot easier, and in the meantime I wouldn't fret about the odd slip-up.

Eww! why would anyone ruin a falafel like that?
    "when the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace" Jimi Hendrix

Quote Clueless Git View Post
    Panic ye not, Clouddog!

Avoiding all things non-vegan is incredibly hard.

Just keep practising diligence in checking stuff out and you'll get better and better at spotting the non-vegan stuff over time.
    Thanks!

I'll keep checking.

- - - Updated - - -

believe it or not they had milk and egg in them

- - - Updated - - -

believe it or not they had milk and egg in them

that's an abomination, i am shocked to my core that anyone would ruin the humble falafel in such a way? what brand are they? i may complain just because it's a falafel and it shouldn't be subjected to such things

Waitrose has a variety of non-vegan ones like these http://www.waitrose.com/shop/Product...inach+falafels thought they do also stock vegan ones (Caudron, I think)..

On the subject of food which should be vegan but turns out to be unnecessarily contaminated ...

My son reacts badly to any product that wastes his time and causes him disappointment.

He has a tendency to simply crush such stuff as soon as he spots the unnecessary ingredients on the product label.
    All done in the best possible taste ...

Not sure if you are still trying to go vegan as it's been a couple of weeks since the OP. Even being 50% committed is better than none at all

The first few months are frustrating because there's a lot of conscious thought involved but after a while you get the hang of it. You'll get into an easy routine and you'll know what to eat wherever you go. My routine is kind of like this: banana/fruit smoothie in the morning (giant one), big salad for lunch (giant one) or smaller one with a sandwich or soup, dinner is pasta, stir fry, veggie fajitas, veggie tostadas, black bean chili with salad, etc. If you find yourself in a "what can I eat" rut make lists of things you CAN eat. Include specific kinds of fruits, sprouts, potatoes, grains, beans, leafy greens, etc. that you enjoy. Keep that list around and keep adding to it until you get your bearings. Use those food in different combinations. You might waste a bit of food. That happens. I had a block of soy in my fridge drawer for the longest time. Turns out I don't like soy (gasp! The horror!).

It doesn't have to be all or nothing & you don't have to be perfect. Everything worth doing in life comes with its own share of difficulty.

100% sure – I'm going vegan! nathanjh13's Avatar

Carry on "cheating" for as long as it takes. Nobody has a gun to your head and your diet is already a lot better than before. Relax.