Thread: Hi. New guy here. How do I get rid of hanging skin?

Default Hi. New guy here. How do I get rid of hanging skin?

Hey fellow vegans. I'm new here. I've been vegan for 2 years in February. I'm a vegan for reasons concerning animal rights, humanitarian reasons, and health reasons.

What caused me to convert was a bullfighting video I saw on YouTube. So, I'm a vegan for all the animals out there. I don't touch foods from animals, I don't touch skins from animals, and I'm still working on the soaps and lotions. I don't know where to find vegan friendly ones or how much they cost. As for humanitarian reasons, I'm vegan because I know that for every pound of meat I avoid, God only knows how many people in underdeveloped nations can have a meal. As for the health reasons, I'm vegan so I don't end up with a heart attack, stroke, cancer, diabetes, obesity(which I'm recovering from), and so on and so forth.

I'm now turning into a tooth pick which I'm happy about. I don't want to be big and buff like most men. I'd rather be able to fit a towel around me when I leave the shower. I've still got more fat than is healthy, but not as much as before my conversion to veganism. So, the problem I'm facing though, is that I have skin hanging from the bottom of my upper arms, and my stomach is starting to hang, and the whole 9 yards. It's rather irritating. What can I do to get rid of that excess skin? Thanks a bunch.

Default Re: Hi. New guy here. How do I get rid of hanging skin?

Quote Ian Hulett View Post
    Hey fellow vegans. I'm new here. I've been vegan for 2 years in February. I'm a vegan for reasons concerning animal rights, humanitarian reasons, and health reasons.

What caused me to convert was a bullfighting video I saw on YouTube. So, I'm a vegan for all the animals out there. I don't touch foods from animals, I don't touch skins from animals, and I'm still working on the soaps and lotions. I don't know where to find vegan friendly ones or how much they cost. As for humanitarian reasons, I'm vegan because I know that for every pound of meat I avoid, God only knows how many people in underdeveloped nations can have a meal. As for the health reasons, I'm vegan so I don't end up with a heart attack, stroke, cancer, diabetes, obesity(which I'm recovering from), and so on and so forth.

I'm now turning into a tooth pick which I'm happy about. I don't want to be big and buff like most men. I'd rather be able to fit a towel around me when I leave the shower. I've still got more fat than is healthy, but not as much as before my conversion to veganism. So, the problem I'm facing though, is that I have skin hanging from the bottom of my upper arms, and my stomach is starting to hang, and the whole 9 yards. It's rather irritating. What can I do to get rid of that excess skin? Thanks a bunch.
    I have never had to face that issue as I have always been a normal weight or underweight. But I imagine that working out with some dumbbells/barbells and doing resistance exercise three or four times a week in addition to cardio would probably firm up your body. Back in 2007 I was suffering with health issues and did not exercise much. I started working out that year with help from a physical therapist and pain program. Eventually I lost a ton of weight and became very very underweight due to an eating disorder. This year I pushed myself to put the weight back on and get healthier and finally got back to a healthy weight range. I still work out but shifted my focus from loads of cardio to moderate cardio and more weight lifting (now I am a small female 5'5.5" and 114 lbs, 42 years old and post surgically menopausal and not an athlete so when I say weight lifting I am talking about 15-20 lb dumbbells and 40-50 lb barbells nothing too huge lol and I do 3 40 minute sessions per week). I wear two sizes smaller than I wore at the same weight I was seven years ago when I was not working out much because my body is more toned (of course being vegan helps too). I think the exercise really makes a big difference but you have to work the muscles.

Other than that, congratulations on your efforts and getting so much healthier! I would say loose skin is a small price to pay compared to where you were before! kudos to you!

Hello Ian

My understanding is that hanging skin is caused by losing body fat faster than the skin can adjust to the new body shape.

The only way not to develop hanging skin being not to lose body fat faster than the skin can adjust.

Excercise, as Robin says, makes a lot of sense though.

Turning/replacing fat with muscle would slow the overal body mass change down.

My missus is doing that, excercise combined with diet, right now.

Her mass is changing more slowly but there's no sign of hanging skin developing and more and more of what used to just wobble now feels nicely toned.
    All done in the best possible taste ...

I completely agree with Clueless Git. You are right my friend. Ian should be conscious about these facts.