Thread: warrior blend supplement / complete amino acids / new vegan, or nearly vegan

Arrow warrior blend supplement / complete amino acids / new vegan, or nearly vegan

HI

I recently gave up all sugars and now want to go back to being vegan - i was a very bad vegan i binged on processed sweet treats, lived off them!

I'm wondering if you use warrior blend protein powder? or any other complete amino acid profile powder.

I have been using it instead of meat and fish and dairy, but have to ask whether i still need to supplement individual amino's

I have been looking at the side of the packet and can't seem to arrive at any kind of conclusion.

I want to supplement all the amino acids - all the way to 100% every day because i find that I fart far too much on most of the vegan protein foods, but i think this drink is amazing.

Warrior blend 3 x a day plus fruits, nuts and veg seems to be fine for me but i need to know that I am supplementing 100%

Does anybody have some advice please?

This is what is in Warrior Blend:

alanine 691mg x 3 = 2073mg
    arginine 1426mg x3 = 4278mg
    Aspartic acid 1812mg x 3= 5436mg
    Cystine 186mg x3 = 558mg cystine 336mg so tick
    Glutamic Acid 2776mg x 3 = 8258 mg
    Glycine 683mg x 3 = 2049mg
    Histidine 401mg x 3 = 1203mg histidine 1148mg so tick
    Isolucine 691mg x3 = 2073mg isolucine 1558mg so tick
    Leucine 1382mg x3 = 4146mg leucine 3444mg so tick
    Lycine 1434mg x 3 = 4303mg lycine 3116mg so tick
    Methionine 158mg x 3 = 472mg methionine 853mg so only half 380mg needed 140mg from almonds still short 240mg
    280 mg in 6 brazil nuts so tick

Phenylalanine 876mg x 3 = 2626mg phenylalanine 2706 mg so basically 80mg short 1064mg almonds so tick
    Proline 918mg x 3 = 2754mg
    Serine 861mg x 3 = 2583mg
    Threonine 477 mg x 3 = 1403mg Threonine 1640mg so not quite 237mg short mg 568 from almonds so tick
    Thyrosine 609 mg x 3 = 1827mg Thyrosine 2000mg so basically 173mg short 429 mg from almonds so tick
    trytophan 128 mg 3x = 386mg Trytophan 410 mg close 34 mg short 203 mg from almonds so tick
    Valine 758 mg x 3 = 2250+ valine 1968 so tick

Below - my recommendations at my current weight....

I looked up the ones listed together separately...

Essential Amino Acid Requirements Analysis:

Based on the entries above:
    Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA): The average daily dietary essential amino acid intake level that is sufficient to meet the nutrient requirements of nearly all (97-98 percent) healthy individuals in your age and gender group is as follows:
    histidine: 1148.0 mg.
    isoleucine: 1558.0 mg.
    leucine: 3444.0 mg.
    lysine: 3116.0 mg.
    methionine + cysteine: 1558.0 mg.
    phenylalanine + tyrosine: 2706.0 mg.
    threonine: 1640.0 mg.
    threonine: 1640.0 mg.
    tryptophan: 410.0 mg.
    valine: 1968.0 mg.

Do you think it is okay to eat 6 brazils and 1 oz almonds and 3 x warrior blend supplement every day?

If I do this, i would still be able to have a varied diet, and very low in processed food, just eating veg and fruit and some grain, some soy mince, some tofu, some beans, just not have to obsess about muscle wastage....

What do you think?

Default Re: warrior blend supplement / complete amino acids / new vegan, or nearly vegan

Quote clouddog View Post

What do you think?
    I'm thinking "WTF are you thinking????" right now, CD.

I mean, like, why do you not just eat food?
    All done in the best possible taste ...

Default Re: warrior blend supplement / complete amino acids / new vegan, or nearly vegan

CG, that is a very valid question.

Hi Clouddog, can you explain more about why you are thinking about basing your diet around a protein powder?

I associate them with bodybuilding etc but even so people manage seem to fine without them http://www.vegetarianbodybuilding.co...-bodybuilders/

You would probably be healthier and more satisfied by a varied wholefood diet IMO. You don't need a specific substitute for animal products (apart from vitamin B12).

Hi
    i have quite a lot of weight to lose...
    it just seems easier
    katherine

Hi Katherine

Easier in the sense of easier to count calories etc? Maybe, but wouldn't you feel hungry all the time?

A lot of natural plant foods are low in calories and they will also fill you up. Also there is quite a lot of research suggesting that the healthiest diets are based on whole foods, e.g. Mediterranean diet and variants of it. (A Mediterranean diet minus the fish could be pretty enjoyable, and you can eat other omega 3 sources instead of the fish.)

Personally I would try that first. My experience is that it's easy to lose weight on a healthy vegan diet (though it's also easy to put back on when you add back in vegan junk foods and don't take enough exercise :/)

Personally I find it easier to eat healthily when I have my cupboards full with food. If I don't have tempting veg and stuff that's easy to make into meals I tend to eat biscuits and other unhealthy stuff. Do you cook? If not it's really worth giving it a try. Get A simple cook book or find recipes online. If you can get passionate and excited about creating healthy veg food you'll never look back.

all diets work.... but they only work whilst you rigidly follow them, if you lose weight buy eating that way, as soon as you start eating real food again you will pile the weight back on (this is why weight watchers and the shake people make so much money, people have to keep going back, they don't solve the long term issue of lifestyle), if you change the way you eat to something healthier and more sustainable, you will be set for life, you need to change what and how you eat and how much moving you do, not substitute food for shakes...

food should be a joy, it's one of the most social things we partake in as humans, why would you want to deny yourself the pleasure of good food?
    "when the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace" Jimi Hendrix

You gave up ALL sugars? That means you're cutting out a lot of healthy foods, like tomatoes.

Straight up beans, tofu/tempeh/soy milk etc., nuts/vegetables in general can give you your protein, plus they have a lot of other good things too. You don't need to do all this stuff, and it makes veganism seem difficult and really involved unnecessarily.

If you eat healthy and exercise, the weight should come off... why are you doing all this?

The only thing you really should supplement is vitamin B-12. Are you doing that?

I would think that it would get pretty expensive to supplement with protein powder 3x per day. Yikes!

If you eat a variety of healthy vegan food, you can meet all your amino acid needs. Plant foods have all of the amino acids that animal food does, just not all in one food. Muscle wastage will not happen if you exercise daily and don't let your food intake go too low. If you eat less than 1000 calories per day for example, even if you supplement with all the protein in the world but stay under that calorie amount, you will lose muscle I guarantee you (talking from experience). And you can build or maintain muscle as a vegan without fancy protein powders. If you do not want to eat beans, focus on whole grains like quinoa, brown rice, buckwheat etc; seeds like chia, hemp, pumpkin, sunflower; vegetables like spinach, broccoli, kale, collard greens; sweet potatoes; tofu; if you are not gluten free, vital wheat gluten (made into seitan) is very high in protein as well. Tempeh is an easier soy to digest as it is fermented.

Also, proper soaking and cooking of beans (or rinsing canned) will make them easier to digest. Adding ingredients like a piece of kombu or baking soda to your cookwater when simmering beans does something to make them more digestible. Make sure you soak them at least 24 hours first. And starting out slowly with them and increasing servings over time helps you body get used to them. Also, you can make them easier to digest by pureeing them into dips/spreads as well. Lentils/split peas do not require soaking and red lentils take mere minutes to cook and seem to be more digestible than other beans. Lentils are a powerhouse high protein food.

If the purpose of the protein powder is to reduce hunger by upping protein intake, I hate to tell you but it doesn't work. Increased roughage and fiber and making sure to include a little fat in your diet (which you are doing so that is great) will go further to reduce hunger. Sometimes eating four to six small meals a day instead of two or three large ones helps too. Some people find the opposite, that one or two large meals a day keeps them from being hungry and thinking about food. There is far more to it than protein. That is only one component of diet. Your body will work more optimally if you just eat a well rounded healthy variety of plant food and don't focus too much on any one component. No one has an absolute perfect diet with every single macro/micronutrient in perfect proportion every day. Striving for that will just drive you crazy and cause you to give up very quickly.

Nice ans useful tips, Robinwomb. I have already used these.

Thanks for all the replies,
    I have given up sugars that are not naturally occurring in fresh fruit and veg but tend to stay away from dried fruit, I've had an occasional binge on sultanas or fruit juice, but this is maybe 5 - 6 times in 3 months.
    I have a teeny O.J. once a day with a green powder supplement. and sometimes a frozen smoothie.

I think I am not a full time vegan - so not really vegan at all, but have cut way back on animal foods, I have very little cheese nowadays, as i find it very distasteful, I used to eat it by the bucket, and I have cut way back on meat, because it just is death and that's not so great either... I have the odd bite of organic meat, which is a bit yucky but I kind of feel like it is quite natural to eat meat for humans - but we now have the option, Hence getting towards better food choices.... so I'm actually not vegan at all i just want to cut the crap from my diet - it might be a process, hopefully.

I use soya milk, and 4 protein shakes a day ( 2 soya yoghurt mixed, 2 water mixed - 2 different brands) at the moment. this diet is based on the ketogenic Lipotrim diet... which is pharmacy led diet, supervised, but I'm doing my own version. It doesn't always work, and it is for the short term, think i was quite unwell with my initial post and I have really appreciated every post here. I have been having psyllium seed husk fibre and a multi vitamin.

I drink a some coffee some tea with soya milk, some oolong... some veg from the garden and that's it...

I am aware this is not a long term diet, it hasn't been working at all for the weeks in between first post and this post and I've gone over to quite a bit of normal plant based and a small amount of animal foods, while using the shakes twice a day... (what I have been doing since first post)... not enough veggies and not enough energy to cook gourmet meat and fish for my husband and an interesting diet for myself.

I lost 2 stone on a drinks and veg only diet, it didn't stay off - 2 years ago
    I went straight back to a normal diet and was only slimish for 3 months, after that it piled back on plus a lot more in the run up to Christmas i had no 'no' left and was eating 3 - 5 cakes / treats a day...

THIS time, i have done just a couple of weeks of this diet, just after Christmas, losing 14 lbs in two weeks then another 5 lbs since Jan.

it will stay off because it was a short term diet, where I had the no sugar thing in place for when i started eating again.

I know it's frankenfoods but it is an easy way to lose weight fast, and If I aim for another stone followed by some veg and soya that could be the result i am looking for
    Vegan seems so pie in the sky because of my family's utter contempt for a vegan diet... my mum is actively discouraging me, my husband couldn't care less as long as he has a lot of 'meat content' at every meal.
    I just started eating nuts every day - which i will go back to after about 2 + weeks...
    Nuts seem very filling and a good deterrant to meat.

Just feels like breaking a nasty habit, hoping to get there, need some things to say to my mum and family they're big meat eaters

Organic or not, meat is still loaded with saturated fats, cholesterol, and still promotes cancer and heart disease. Also: http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Organic_food
    Natural doesn't make things good, anyway. https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/appeal-to-nature ;D

But nice on cutting back significantly on animal products! Most people don't go vegan overnight, anyway.

I'm not familiar with that diet, but you might be getting too much protein (4 shakes a day plus soymilk!). Maybe you should see a dietician to help you plan your diet?
    :)

Im a bit wary of dieticians although I guess they will take on anyone and sort them out for a fraction of the cost of buying all the wrong foods so that does make sense, and thank you! X i need to have it to spend first,
    Last edited by clouddog; Apr 3rd, 2015 at 08:32 AM.