Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pizza - Papa John's, Pizza Hut, Dominoes etc

Default Pizza - Papa John's, Pizza Hut, Dominoes etc

does anyone know about papa john's or pizza hut pizza crust? i'm not sure if it's vegan or not...
    "freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"

Quote Mal87
    does anyone know about papa john's or pizza hut pizza crust? i'm not sure if it's vegan or not...
    They are here is a link and a quote about a few restaurants.
    Chuck E. Cheese, Little Caesars, and Papa John’s all use vegan sauce and dough, while Pizza Hut uses vegan sauce and its Thin ’n Crispy and dessert crusts are vegan. Go ahead and get a cheeseless pie and decorate it with as many veggies as your little heart desires.

tails4wagging

Default Eh!!!!!. Pizza toppings?????

I went into asda and asked for a veg, pizza to be made up and replace the cheese with pineapple. I was told cheese wasnt a topping..... Eh!!!!!!! therefore I had to pay extra for the pineapple

We get the same thing here, I've had coupon's for free topping and I have asked for 2 since we order it without cheese, they always say the cheese is not a topping. Em, then what is it. Doesn't it sit on top of the pizza?

Sadly enough, they don't consider cheese to be a topping. They consider it to be part of the pizza like, say, the crust.

But yet, they'll gladly charge extra for that "non-topping" if someone wants it... go figure.
    It's vegan, which means it's vegetarian which means there's nothing unheathy in it. -- my guy trying to explain vegan junkfood.

tails4wagging

Weird, or what????. I think I might send a letter to the press as I think it will cause a few laughs!!!.

What's their reaction to a chees-less pizza?

tails4wagging

Either a bemused expression, or a blank look!!

Hehehe, it's kinda like asking for a cheeseburger minus the cheese....NOT THAT I WOULD ASK FOR ONE. ^-^

I might pop into a pizza place and ask for a cheesless pizza someday.

I like to make pita bread pizza's without cheese. Sooooooooo good. I prefer it even to being made with vegan cheese.

I have always found my pita bread got really mushy when I tried to make pita bread pizza. Maybe I used way to much veggies.

Quote Kim[ba]
    I like to make pita bread pizza's Sooooooooo good..

hey me too!!

pitta bread, spread with tom puree, passata or something then even just melting cheezley or some toppings like red onion, pineapple, mushrooms, peppers etc - they're YUMMY! cheap and quick too, juts pop under the grill..

FR

I'd just say, veggie pizza, no cheese. Basically, if a veggie pizza is $10.99 and includes say 4 veggie toppings, if you say no cheese, they should just make it without cheese and not charge extra. If they gave me flack, I'd ask to speak to a manager.

It is the same thing as saying, veggie pizza, no onions, or no mushrooms (or whatever they are topping their veggie pizza with).

I got so fed-up with pizza when I was a lacto-ovo veggie that I haven't ever wanted any since then.

PinkFluffyCloud

Pizzas made with Homous instead of Cheese are nice.

Oh that sounds interesting.

I'm not a big pizza person, but this thread has got me craving. Mmm.

That's so strange - I made a skinny houmous pizza yesterday! (Skinny because I didn't have any pizza bases, I used a flour wrap instead - it was a bit flimsy though). Lots of peppers and onion, mmmm!

I made a pizza sometime last year (tells you how often I eat pizza ) that was sooo good. It started with the herb and garlic dough that I got at Trader Joe's, with mushrooms, zucchini, spinach, onions, artichoke hearts and olives piled on.

Gee. Now I'm craving pizza too. I should make one soon.
    It's vegan, which means it's vegetarian which means there's nothing unheathy in it. -- my guy trying to explain vegan junkfood.

Nutritional yeast is very nice sprinkled all over the tomato stuff, with olives on top.

Quote Kiva Dancer
    I made a pizza sometime last year (tells you how often I eat pizza ) that was sooo good. It started with the herb and garlic dough that I got at Trader Joe's, with mushrooms, zucchini, spinach, onions, artichoke hearts and olives piled on.

Gee. Now I'm craving pizza too. I should make one soon.
    Trader Joe's pizza dough is vegan?? . I never thought to check the ingredients-I'm going to get some this week.

BTW: I love Trader Joe's, my favorite store

I love sun-dried tomatoes, fresh tomatoes, red or green peppers, olives, pineapple and caramelised onions on cheese-less pizza

I bought some of the super melting mozzarella. I'm not too keen on 'cheese' but I'll give it go on pizza later in the week. It'll be interesting to see how melty it gets.
    "He who binds himself to a Joy, Does the winged life destroy;
    He who kisses the Joy as it flies, Lives in Eternity's sunrise"
    William Blake

Quote feline01
    Trader Joe's pizza dough is vegan?? . I never thought to check the ingredients-I'm going to get some this week.

BTW: I love Trader Joe's, my favorite store
    I'm thinking it is unless I either missed something or they've changed ingredients since then.

PolluxStar

yikez , I could never trust a pizza place for a vegan pizza

Default Re: Eh!!!!!. Pizza toppings?????

Does anyone know if Pizza Hut has vegan dough? We order a veggie lovers with no cheese and they always let us have pineapple in place of it. I hope I haven't been eating animal products when I think I'm not.
    By the way...they always put the cheese on anyway..we had to order three times one night just to get it right.
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman. -Virginia Woolf
    Deer hunting would be fine sport, if only the deer had guns. - William S. Gilbert

Pizza hut has different ingredients for different doughs (leave it to them to make things so simple, eh? ). Anyway, here's their ingredient list for the doughs they use (bottom of page 3 and top of page 4).

Hope that helps.

Thumbs up Re: Eh!!!!!. Pizza toppings?????

Crap! It contains whey, buttermilk..etc..here I thought by leaving the toppings off I was okay. I guess I will switch over to Domino's now. Not the best crust but when you have a pizza craving..it will taste pretty darn good.
    Thanks a lot Kiva Dancer!
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman. -Virginia Woolf
    Deer hunting would be fine sport, if only the deer had guns. - William S. Gilbert

If you can find a local pizzeria, you'd probably do better since they probably use straight-forward, real Italian pizza dough ingredients which would be flour, water, yeast and salt. Plus, I find the local pizzerias to be more flexible about ordering cheeseless pizzas.

Default Papa John's Pizza has a vegan option!!!

Here's some more helpful vegan food info!

I've been concered that pizza places may use animal ingredients in their dough (milk, eggs, etc.) and possibly in their sauce...so I've been doing a little research...

I've started out with Papa John's but I plan on contacting some competing companies as well (for example, Pizza Hut, Dominoes...I will let you know as I find out more info!).

So....for those of you that don't know...Papa John's Pizza has a vegan option!!!!!!!!!!....just order the Garden Fresh pizza without the cheese!!! I usually ask them to replace the mushrooms (I'm not a lover of mushrooms) with jalapenos...it is SO, SO, good!!!

I recently emailed Papa John's Pizza (US) and they sent me the following info:
    [...I have attached a copy of our Product Ingredient List for your use. Please note there are no animal fats in our dough or sauce. Below is the nutritional information you requested for a 10" Garden Fresh pizza with no cheese.

Please don't hesitate to contact me if you need anything additional.

Jane McCoy
    Executive Assistant
    Quality Management Department
    502-261-4275
    502-261-4731 (fax)
    Foodlist Summary Report

For: Papa John's 10" Garden - Cheeseless

Total Weight: 517.10 g (18.24 oz-wt.)

Serving Size: 86.18 g (3.04 oz-wt.)

Serves: 6.00

Nutrition Facts

Serving Size 1 slice (86g)

Servings Per Container 6

Calories 140

Calories from Fat 20

Total Fat 2.5g

Saturated Fat 0g

Trans Fat 0g

Cholesterol 0mg

Sodium 310mg

Total Carbohydrate 25g

Dietary Fiber 2g

Sugars 4g

Protein 4g

Vitamin A 2%

Vitamin C 10%

Calcium 2%

Iron 8%]

mango woman

Thumbs up Re: Papa John's Pizza has a vegan option!!!

That is too cool! I don't think i've ever met someone who was that helpful towards my veganism. I went to a mexican restaurant the other day and ugh, what a disaster. Let me just say that I've been scared from foods without ingredient lists for a while.

ashley

Default Re: Papa John's Pizza has a vegan option!!!

Thats awesome! Pizza Johns is probably the biggest pizza chain around my university so thats pretty cool. Pizza Hut's ingredients are listed on their website.
    "An outside enemy exists only if there is anger inside."
    - Lama Zopa Rinpoche

When you order a cheeseless pizza, do they look at you weird? To most people, cheese *is* the main part of the pizza and ordering a cheeseless pizza is like ordering a burger without the patty.

But I might try it. I've been craving pizza for a while and I'm too lazy to make my own.

Quote Tigerlily
    When you order a cheeseless pizza, do they look at you weird?
    I ordered a cheeseless pizza from Papa John's a few months ago. They ask me repeatively if i was sure i didn't want cheese on it. It was tasty and yummy. I just got mushrooms on top .... It will definitely hit the spot if your craving pizza.

RubyDuby

i worked at sbarros when i was a teen. we always brushed the dough with egg yolk before baking and brushed the crust with butter after it was cooked. i always assumed most places did this.
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

Quote Tigerlily
    When you order a cheeseless pizza, do they look at you weird? To most people, cheese *is* the main part of the pizza and ordering a cheeseless pizza is like ordering a burger without the patty.

But I might try it. I've been craving pizza for a while and I'm too lazy to make my own.

About once every 3 months or so, I'll order a take-out pizza without cheese. I think it might be more common than we think. Not only for vegans, but I guess for those people who are lactose-intollerant too.

theres always been tons of places who serve vegan pizzas. i always simply ask if there is any kind of dairy, egg, or chicken stock in their pizza crust or sauce. (be sure to ask this as some places use chicken stock in their sauce, and some places use cheese in their sauce)

and everytime i used to order a pizza id ask for it without cheese and they wouldnt even be surprized.

(im not suppoesd to eat flour though. but sometimes i do. if i eat it once than it doesnt make me sick, but its when i eat it two days in a row and up that makes me very ill)
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

if the butter flavour is natural its not vegan, if its artificial than it is.

Pilaf

Haha... yeah right. I would never eat a "Vegan friendly" item from a restaurant for a good reason.

Kids work at restaurants... snot nosed school age kids. Most of these heathen buggers are omnivores. It would be "funny" to an omnivore kid to rub meat pieces and such on a vegan friendly pizza. Thus, I would never eat a "Vegan pizza" from a restaurant.

you dont need to tell them youre vegan. u can simply call and ask the ingredients of their sauce/crust, then order a pizza without cheese and say its due to allergies for the reason of your asking. they take that seriously.

Pilaf

I remain eternally skeptical of restaurants. I haven't eaten a thing not prepared by my own hand since discovering my Vegan self.

Quote Pilaf
    I remain eternally skeptical of restaurants. I haven't eaten a thing not prepared by my own hand since discovering my Vegan self.
    What about vegan restaurants? Where everyone on staff is a vegan?

PolluxStar

I work at dominos , and I can tell you first hand that thin crust is vegan

I recently read the ingrediants for hand tossed crust , it contains , stereo lacytact which is iffy , but I tend to ignore it because I am poor....

pizza sauce they use is vegan also , there is plenty ov veggies to put on there , but I have to say , the thin crust with no cheese and just veggie sucks, it taste like a cracker... I tried regular crust and it was good somewhat....

the cheeseless pizza at the grocery store is the shit , but its not free :<

anyways , warnings about ordering vegan pizzas , as I work there , I know exactly what's going on when they make pizzas " I don't make them because I couldn't handle touching cheese and meat ", but what happens is they scoop out cheese and meat with thier hands , and it gets mixed in with the other toppings , so it might come out with excess meat or cheese on your pizza... I couldn't take that risk , I wouldn't order from papa johns....

also when u put the pizza on the metal grills that go into the oven , those things have burnt meat and cheese on them , I wouldn't want that touching my pizza

when I make my own , I put foil between it , and only use the fresh ingrediants from the storage room , so it is vegan no doubt....

Thank you, that is really good information.

Default Re: Pizza - Papa John's, Pizza Hut, Dominoes etc

Veggie Planet in Harvard Square makes these really elaborate pizzas with insane toppings and they always have vegan options. They've also written a cook book on being vegan or vegetarian or the like. I have yet to try their restuarant but I plan on it when I go home for Thanksgiving along with the Organic Garden Cafe.
    "An outside enemy exists only if there is anger inside."
    - Lama Zopa Rinpoche

"Domino's does not specify the source of L-Cystein [usually made from feathers or human hair] with our suppliers. Suppliers are free to establish or change the source as they see necessary. All of our dough contains L-Cystein."
    http://whatisinit.com/foodsort.cfm?Cat=Pizza

Pizza Hut dough has whey.
    http://www.pizzahut.com/menu/nutriti...ngredients.pdf

http://www.soundvision.com/Info/hala...y/fastfood.asp

mango woman

For papa johns pizza, does anyone know what they grease their pans with? you know how the bottom of the pizza slice is a little greasy or whatever.. I'm gonna guess not vegan.

there was a site i found once (i didn't bookmark it like a sillyhead) that had all the things listed perfectly about what was and wasn't vegan at certain chains. i remember that cesar's was for sure. there was a post near the beginning of the thread from peta about what was vegan in restaurants, but i want u to all not trust it for anything, they were wrong about the pasta at macaroni grill (i looked briefly at the list) which all has egg except the whole-wheat, if they can miss something like whole eggs in the ingredients, i think they could easily miss something like whey (present in a lot of the pizza sauces including PH's i believe) the only one i can remember off the top of my head that is for sure vegan from the site is little cesar's. if i find the site again, i'll post it, i'm gonna be sherlock right now and go look
    Peace Love Surf.

mango woman

Little Cesars!? cooooooooool! too bad they don't have any cool topping choices. I hope papa johns is!

The moral of the story is to not trust anywhere that isn't exclusively vegetarian or vegan. These pizza places don't deserve our trade anyway. Pizza is heaps easy to make!!!!
    Don't blame me for avian flu :(

I have a lot of friends who work at pizza hut, and they told me that pretty much the only vegan-friendly things on the menu are the regular pizza sauce and the thin & cripsy crust. Everything else is laced with whey and beef stock. Personally, I'd rather take my money elsewhere.