Thread: Vegan Barbecue-style Braised Short Ribs

Default Vegan Barbecue-style Braised Short Ribs

Another great recipe from Vegan Vittles by Jo Stepaniak. I really recommend for everyone to get this cookbook or at least one of her others. Great vegan recipes.

Dry Ingredients
    1 1/2 cups instant gluten flour (vital wheat gluten)
    1/4 cup nutritional yeast
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/2 teaspoon onion powder

Liquid Ingredients
    1 cup water
    3 Tablespoons soy sauce

Sauce
    2 onions, thickly sliced
    2 carrots, peeled and sliced
    4 cloves of garlic, coarsely chopped
    2 cups tomato sauce
    1 cup bottled barbecue sauce
    1 cup water
    1 Tablespoon soy sauce

1. Place the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and stir them together.

2. Place the liquid ingredients in a small mixing bowl and stir together. Pour this liquid into the flour mixture. Mix well. You should now have a large, firm, spongy mass in the bowl. This is called gluten.

3. Knead the gluten directly in the mixing bowl for about a minute to blend. Slice the gluten into 6 equal sized pieces (good luck with this, I never succeeded-I just use a scissor and approximate ).

4. Place 2 tablespoons of oil and a very large skilled or dutch oven and heat at medium-high. When the oil is hot, add the gluten pieces and brown them evenly on all sides, trying to avoid having them touch. Transfer the ribs to a plate lined with a few paper towels to drain briefly then transfer them to a large, heavy pot or deep baking dish.

5. Preheat the oven to 325F

6. Add another tablespoon of oil to the skillet or dutch oven. When oil is hot, add the onions and saute them until they are lightly browned, about 15 minutes. Add the carrots and saute until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for a minute. Then add the tomato sauce, barbecue sauce, water and soy sauce-mixing well. Bring to a boil. The reduce heat to medium-low and simmer sauce for a minute to blend flavors.

7. Pour the sauce over the ribs in the pot or baking dish and turn the ribs so they are evenly coated. Bake the ribs uncovered for 1 1/2 hours, turning them every 30 minutes.

8. Season with salt and pepper.

Nutritional content, per serving:
    336 calories, 34 gram protein, 33 gram carbohydrates, 8 grams fat.

*drools*
    It's vegan, which means it's vegetarian which means there's nothing unheathy in it. -- my guy trying to explain vegan junkfood.

oh dang. i didnt realize it was made of gluten. i cant eat that :S what about using tofu broken into peices? would that work do u think?
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

spo

Smile

Quote feline01
    Another great recipe from Vegan Vittles by Jo Stepaniak. I really recommend for everyone to get this cookbook or at least one of her others. Great vegan recipes.
    I add my enthusiastic endorsement to Feline's. Vegan Vittles has some great recipes! Try to get this book- It was inspired by one of my favorite causes, the Farm Sanctuary. If you can, get the book from them (www.farmsanctuary.org).
    You can shop on their site for some neat vegan books and t-shirts, etc., and help out a great place.
    BTW [watch out- bragging warning] I am the proud adoptive parent of Queenie, the cow and Simon, the goat!! The vegan artist, Sue Coe, did a poster of my daughter, Queenie's harrowing escape from the slaughterhouse...
    You can see it (or buy a copy for $10) on the website...
    spo

spo

Quote foxytina_69
    oh dang. i didnt realize it was made of gluten. i cant eat that :S what about using tofu broken into peices? would that work do u think?
    Dear Fox:
    I never did this recipe, but it might work well with tofu or some of the other commercial soy veats.
    BTW, I sympathize with you; I'm allergic to certain soy preparations, like tofu and TVP. I eat them anyway, but suffer later
    spo

well i used this recipe. i used one block of extra firm organic frozen tofu, cut it into 6 strips, then the strips halved. i let it defrost, then marinated it in soy sauce, onion and garlic powder, nutritional yeast and water. i made the sauce while doing this (halved it though) and then fried the tofu until it was browned and dried out. then baked them as the recipe said.

these were delicious! i loved them. the sauce was fantastic. thanx alot feline!

Quote spo
    Dear Fox:
    I never did this recipe, but it might work well with tofu or some of the other commercial soy veats.
    BTW, I sympathize with you; I'm allergic to certain soy preparations, like tofu and TVP. I eat them anyway, but suffer later
    spo
    i cant use any commercial meats because they all contain wheat. i have celiac disease and cant consume any kindof gluten :S

Quote foxytina_69
    well i used this recipe. i used one block of extra firm organic frozen tofu, cut it into 6 strips, then the strips halved. i let it defrost, then marinated it in soy sauce, onion and garlic powder, nutritional yeast and water. i made the sauce while doing this (halved it though) and then fried the tofu until it was browned and dried out. then baked them as the recipe said.

these were delicious! i loved them. the sauce was fantastic. thanx alot feline!
    That actually sounds better than using the gluten , I might give it a try.

I am the proud adoptive parent of Queenie, the cow and Simon, the goat!
    We're the proud parents of Sally the cow (in memory of all the dairy, meat etc. my husband I have consumed in the past) and Mayfly & Mystic the chickens (in memory of all the eggs we've consumed). I'm looking forward to the day when the family takes their first trip to Watkins Glen to meet our adopted family

my boyfriend had a "rib" when he got home from work. he almonst choked because of how good it was LOL. im like well thats a keeper of a recipe than! this recipe made me think of making homemade "pepperoni" by cutting frozen, thawed, drained tofu into thin strips, then using a round small cutter to make the pepperonis, and do nearly the same thing with them, except use liquid smoke also and some maple syrup. yummy! that would be great on pizzas.

Quote foxytina_69
    my boyfriend had a "rib" when he got home from work. he almonst choked because of how good it was LOL. im like well thats a keeper of a recipe than! this recipe made me think of making homemade "pepperoni" by cutting frozen, thawed, drained tofu into thin strips, then using a round small cutter to make the pepperonis, and do nearly the same thing with them, except use liquid smoke also and some maple syrup. yummy! that would be great on pizzas.

From the same cookbook, here's their seasoning mix to make vegan pepperoni (the recipe calls for gluten as well)

1 Tablespoon paprika
    1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
    1/4 teaspoon onion powder
    1/4 teaspoon ground black peper
    1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper

The recipe calls to mix a mixture of water, soy sauce, olive oil, crushed garlic, salt and tomato paste into the gluten. Maybe you could make a marinade out of that instead for the tofu. I made this last week using the gluten and it was tasty, tasted like this stuff called Field Roast that Whole Foods sells (huge natural market chain) that's expensive.

oh my this looks great! thanx feline! im excited now