Thread: Casualty on 19th March

Default Casualty on 19th March

I realise this is probably quite stupid. It's a crap show anyway, poorly written and poorly acted (no offence if there is somehow a Casualty writer/actor on these boards!) and I wouldn't normally watch it, but I'd just got in from the Stop the War demo, I was pretty knackered, and I wanted something to stare at while I ate my tea.

Anyway I don't know if anyone saw it, but it had these supposed animal rights activists as one of the storylines. Pretty obvious stuff really. Bullying manipulative man, poor deluded girlfriend.
    (I was hooked though, that's just the effect it has on me when animal rights people get any sort of media recognition at all. I was really hoping they might somehow mention their diet and if they were vegans! Sad I know but I hardly know any other vegans myself, so it's nice to see them on TV sometimes even if it's just actors pretending...)
    Really silly storyline, they were blowing up this woman who had taken on a job as director of an animal research laboratory. Obviously the woman had a pet dog and the local vet was at her house and got the full force of the bomb while she emerged unscathed. Then the victimised girlfriend character drove over the dog and crashed her car, it was so dumb. It was like, 'look at these violent animal rights people, HAH! They succeeded only in blinding a vet and killing a dog, the hypocrites!'
    Never mind the hypocrisy of a vivisectionist keeping a dog in the first place.

The police got involved, then they had all the doctors in the hospital walking around going 'blah blah blah mindless violence blah blah blah the drugs we use every day in this hospital to save lives are tested on animals and I wouldn't be happy if they weren't blah blah blah necessary evil no viable alternative blah blah blah animal rights idiots.'
    I mean they must have devoted a good three minutes of dialogue AT LEAST, to discussing how stupid the anti vivisection lobby is. I can understand that they can't exactly explore the debate in full because it IS a 'drama' but they could have at least given a better, more rounded representation of the 'anti' argument than 'we must blow this woman's face off otherwise animals will continue to suffer'.
    What I am trying to say is it was so utterly, ridiculously biased. I mean okay, I've come to expect that in the media with all animal rights people branded 'extremists' or 'terrorists' in the news. But really, for a show that's supposed to be kind of one step up from a soap, rather than Newsnight or The Daily Politics, they spent a disproportionate amount of time rubbishing anti-vivisectionists.

Upshot of it all was, I got pissed off then complained to the BBC. It made me feel like a real crabby bitch as it's not something I've ever done before, because of freedom of speech/expression etc, plus I just couldn't care less whether someone swore before six o' clock. But this was so one-sided it was ridiculous. I hear the BBC take one complaint to represent 1000 people who were annoyed but didn't say anything. If that's true I think it's worth doing at times.

Did anyone see this show? How do you lot feel about the way the animal rights movement is represented in the UK media?

(I posted this here cos it's a UK TV show, but hey if it's too long or belongs elsewhere please edit!)

tails4wagging

I dont watch that rubbish. Its an insult to intelligence!!!.

The Judge john Deed is sympathetic to the cause and the writer of that is vegan. Also Martin Shaw is veggie (he is patron of an animal sanctuary).

So at least at times we do have some positive input on telly, not nearly as much as I'd like though.

Somewhile ago, the BBC asked Carla Laine if she would right a sit-com about Animal rights and she refused because she did not want to make like of the good works of AR.

Was that episode a repeat or a new one? I remember an episode from many years ago which was also about animal rights activists. I'm sure they planted a car bomb or blew up a chemists or something and one of the activists was either ill or badly injured but instead of getting treatment, at the end of the show it just showed you him wandering off into the distance to die a martyr. It portrayed animal activists as a bunch of mindless idiots.

Quote Evilfluffbunny
    Was that episode a repeat or a new one? I remember an episode from many years ago which was also about animal rights activists. I'm sure they planted a car bomb or blew up a chemists or something and one of the activists was either ill or badly injured but instead of getting treatment, at the end of the show it just showed you him wandering off into the distance to die a martyr. It portrayed animal activists as a bunch of mindless idiots.
    Nah it was a new one. Nice to know they've been spewing the same rubbish for a few years already though.

Tails, that's really cool about Judge John Deed! I'd probably have written the sitcom though and tried to give a positive message, although my guess is the BBC's brief was probably along the lines of 'make them look like total idiots' so it's understandable she refused.

Quote tails4wagging
    I dont watch that rubbish. Its an insult to intelligence!!!.

The Judge john Deed is sympathetic to the cause and the writer of that is vegan. Also Martin Shaw is veggie (he is patron of an animal sanctuary).

So at least at times we do have some positive input on telly, not nearly as much as I'd like though.

Somewhile ago, the BBC asked Carla Laine if she would right a sit-com about Animal rights and she refused because she did not want to make like of the good works of AR.

aaahh...the deedster!! he is a giant among men as far as our viewing is concerned i enjoyed the episode recently where the law lords were sitting down to tofu stir-fry and looked at it strangely - then one of them announced it was 'really rather good' or something like that.

i thought martin shaw was vegan now??
    his recipe leaflet from animal aid is quite g0od.

tails4wagging

yes, the other chap said initially it looked like vomit, but had to agree it was nice.!!.

I have requested Martin Shaw for my birthday present. I told my friends they need'nt wrap him, I have him as he comes!! Sex on legs!!!!

i wish jjd and jo mills would hurry up and get it together - the sexual tension is driving me nutty

Quote Shisha Fiend
    ...and I wanted something to stare at while I ate my tea.
    Not the best prog to watch whilst eating your tea. It's usually full of blood and guts

Quote Shisha Fiend
    Did anyone see this show? How do you lot feel about the way the animal rights movement is represented in the UK media?
    My daughter is an avid fan of the programme, so it was on. I saw a few minutes of it, but decided it wasn't good for my blood pressure so adjourned to another room. Like you, I'd just got home from the anti-war demo and was in a positive mood from having a good day, and I didn't want it spoilt by watching this dross.

Did you see the People Power programme on BBC1 last Sunday? It was about single issue groups who go in for direct action. One of the groups was the anti live exports movement, and was very positive, so very occasionally the AR movement is portrayed in a good light.

Unfortunately my other half loves that crappy programme, so I ended up seeing that episode.

It was extremely biased with no other viewpoint put forward. The characters came across exactly as Shisha depicts.

The fact that animal testing is inaccurate, cruel and unnecessary wasn't even mentioned.

Quote *M*
    Did you see the People Power programme on BBC1 last Sunday? It was about single issue groups who go in for direct action. One of the groups was the anti live exports movement, and was very positive, so very occasionally the AR movement is portrayed in a good light.
    Yeah I saw that, it was a really good programme. That was definitely the most emotive and positive piece on it, too.

Quote celtic rose
    The fact that animal testing is inaccurate, cruel and unnecessary wasn't even mentioned.
    I was getting very angry and saying the same thing to the tv

I had it on while I was cleaning my rats out (I need something that's not too distracting or it ends up taking twice as long, cos I keep sitting down to watch tv )

Quote tigerbabe
    I had it on while I was cleaning my rats out (I need something that's not too distracting or it ends up taking twice as long, cos I keep sitting down to watch tv )
    Freaky! I was cleaning my chinchillas out while it on

What exciting Saturday nights we have.

Default Re: Casualty on 19th March

I don't know why this popped into my head, but I suddenly remembered another Casualty episode from years ago where this girl had kept passing out and no-one knew why, then one of the doctors asked her if she was vegetarian (maybe vegan I can't remember) and they blamed it on that! I can't remember what the outcome was but they probably told her to eat liver or something.

I wish they'd get their bloody facts straight before writing that trash!

Quote Evilfluffbunny
    I don't know why this popped into my head, but I suddenly remembered another Casualty episode from years ago where this girl had kept passing out and no-one knew why, then one of the doctors asked her if she was vegetarian (maybe vegan I can't remember) and they blamed it on that! I can't remember what the outcome was but they probably told her to eat liver or something.

I wish they'd get their bloody facts straight before writing that trash!
    Huh, fucking idiots.

BBC never got back to me either, the bastards.

ha, can't say i'm surprised - they're more concerned about people complaining that Scotland's too small on the BBC weather map, than on the opinions of vegans!!!
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

VeganJohn

I remember a show around 10 or more years ago, something like the Wexford Mysteries, that depicted an animal rights/environmental rights group that kidnapped people including a detective's wife and locked them in dark cupboards, threatening to execute them if demands to stop building a bypass were not met. I think the head of the group had dreadlocks and was a vegan, who ate seaweed ?!?

Seemed ludicrous that such groups would be depicted in such a way. I think it was a dig at the rave culture that was controversial at the time, people with dreadlocks and tye dye clothing etc were often depicted in shows such as The Bill as being drug smugglers and criminals.

I am surprised at Casualty as it is often hailed as being accurately researched....well, the medical/surgery side of it anyway.

Quote VeganJohn
    I remember a show around 10 or more years ago, something like the Wexford Mysteries, that depicted an animal rights/environmental rights group that kidnapped people including a detective's wife and locked them in dark cupboards, threatening to execute them if demands to stop building a bypass were not met. I think the head of the group had dreadlocks and was a vegan, who ate seaweed ?!?

yes it was wexford!