Thread: New here...anyone with vegan toddlers?

Default New here...anyone with vegan toddlers?

Hi there,

I haven't had a chance to really feel this place out yet, but I hope it's ok if I just jump in. I've been vegan for about 7 years. I'm mother to an almost 20-month-old daughter, and expecting #2 this summer. My daughter is a walking testament to the vegan lifestyle (diet in particular) - she has always been a VERY big (or "healthy" looking to other people ) baby, around the 95th percentile+ for both weight and height, and she's never had so much as a sniffle (despite being exposed to plenty of colds). I can't help bragging because I know that her diet (despite being soy-free due to an intolerance) is about as healthy and well-rounded as humanly possible.

I'll stop bragging, now. But I just wanted to put a hello out there and see if anyone else has toddlers. Obviously veganism isn't much of a challenge for us yet - I'll anticipate more issues as she gets older and more social.

On another note - does anyone have ideas for ways to celebrate Easter with vegan children? Although we can get vegan chocolate bunnies and eggs locally now, she's too young for all that and I'm having a hard time coming up with ideas. I'm not big on "presents" for Easter, but was thinking of possibly buying some hollow plastic eggs and filling them with...something, to hide around the house. Or making a bunny-shaped cake. Any ideas?

Nice to meet you all.
    Krista

Hi Krista,

Welcome to VF. I gather you are from the US or Canada (mommy instead of mum), maybe you could update your profile a bit more.

I'm a mom to vegan almost-toddlers. My vegan twins are 11 months old. My daughter is getting ready to toddle, took her first step a few weeks ago. My son is on his own schedule.

Can't help you with easter suggestions, we don't celebrate but there is another site for parents of vegan children, www.vegfamily.com . Might be a good resource for ideas (along with ones that other members will post here of course!).

Enjoy

Hi Krista,

Welcome to the forum, I think theres a few parents around. Feline01 should be along soon, she's got vegan twins, so you should have plenty to chat about.

There is a thread on vegan easter eggs (don't know how to post the link but if you look round the forum you should find it, or maybe some kind person will post the link for me) that should give you some ideas.

Good luck with #2

Looks like Feline01 was along quicker than I expected

I'm amazed by the quick replies!

Actually I tried to register with veganmum, but it was taken. I'm in Canada.

I'll go looking for the Easter egg thread (we're actually pagan and don't celebrate Easter as such, but it seemed the easiest thing to ask a group of people I don't know! ). Thanks again - amazed by the speedy replies!

That'd be me nicking the Veganmum ...although I do have to admit my "baby" is now 17yrs old and whoever said kids get easier as they get older lied ...they also get more expensive too
    Welcome to the board, Im new too

karen

spo

Quote celtic rose
    Looks like Feline01 was along quicker than I expected
    HI Veganmommy:
    I was just about to recommend you to my good friend, Feline01, she is the mother of the lovely vegan twins, Ben and Sarah, and the "fearless wasp-tracker" the cat Feline (pronounced, fellini)!
    But she got in there first.... Oh well, welcome to you, and good to have you on board. I'm glad to hear how healthy your baby is. I hope you enjoy our little group--we're a mostly very friendly lot!!
    spo

1vegan

Hi Krista, welcome to veganforum

MzNatural also has a beautiful vegan toddler. A lovely girl who is around 2. Mz hasn't been around much though, very busy.

And you have GOT to look at feline's website and all the beautiful twin pictures. They are absolutely gorgeous!

Hi veganmommy

Welcome to the forum.

I have an 8 year old daughter and we are both new to the vegan lifestyle. Easter will be rather different this year. My daughter would normally hunt for all the easter egg I'd have hidden around the house and then stuff her face with chocolate. Some family have bought her milk chocolate eggs this year but I've taken them round to my parents house and she can eat them there. She's still going to do a hunt but this year it will be a treasure hunt (with clues too) rather than an easter egg hunt. I've bought her one dark chocolate bratz egg and some other small gifts like stationary and jewellry to find instead. I'm also going to bake a chocolate cake and decorate it with whizzers chocolate eggs and little chicks. It's going to be different, but hopefully she'll see it as different but in a good way.

Hope you have a fun packed Easter
    "He who binds himself to a Joy, Does the winged life destroy;
    He who kisses the Joy as it flies, Lives in Eternity's sunrise"
    William Blake

Rocky,

I don't want to sound like I'm judging you and I know you're trying to transition your daughter to veganism but isn't it more difficult for your daughter to have one place where she is vegan and others where she is not than to just expect her to be vegan everywhere? I would think that the inconsistency could be problematic.

Hello

I'm new here too ... and I have twin vegan toddlers (17 months old). My partner and I have both been vegan for over 10 years and are now bringing up our children vegan (as if we'd bring them up any other way).

Pleased to 'meet' you all

Ellie

Talking Another vegan twins mommy!!!!

Hi Ellie,

Welcome to VF. I never thought I'd meet another mom/mum to vegan twins. What are their sexes?

Enjoy!!

Hi Feline

A boy and a girl (David & Rebecca) - you have a great website by the way. I couldn't believe it when I found this forum and there was another vegan twin mum ... Great !

Quote feline01
    Rocky,

I don't want to sound like I'm judging you and I know you're trying to transition your daughter to veganism but isn't it more difficult for your daughter to have one place where she is vegan and others where she is not than to just expect her to be vegan everywhere? I would think that the inconsistency could be problematic.
    You are right feline01. Unfortunately my parents are unwilling to provide a vegan diet for my daughter unless she requests it herself. She is old enough to understand why I am vegan, and therefore why I will only buy vegan products, but she is also old enough to make her own decisions about being vegan herself. I've discovered more and more vegan foods she likes and she hardly ever say's she misses 'xyz' food at home, so my parents wouldn't have a problem finding food to feed her, I have even offered to provide food, but unless they stop offering her non vegan food there is not a lot I can do. The decision to become vegan has to come from my daughter herself. I have little influence over what she eats when she is not with me.

As for the Easter Eggs, they were given to her by family who didn't know. I could hardly take them off her. It's really difficult to know what to do for the best.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Does anyone know of any vegan/animal welfare information that is suitable for an eight year old?
    William Blake

Quote RockyRaccoon
    Does anyone know of any vegan/animal welfare information that is suitable for an eight year old?
    A top wee man (also eight years old) has done a review of Minney's Dream by Clare Druce for the Realfood magazine. Try contacting Viva or Realfood.

Quote RockyRaccoon
    You are right feline01. Unfortunately my parents are unwilling to provide a vegan diet for my daughter unless she requests it herself. She is old enough to understand why I am vegan, and therefore why I will only buy vegan products, but she is also old enough to make her own decisions about being vegan herself. I've discovered more and more vegan foods she likes and she hardly ever say's she misses 'xyz' food at home, so my parents wouldn't have a problem finding food to feed her, I have even offered to provide food, but unless they stop offering her non vegan food there is not a lot I can do. The decision to become vegan has to come from my daughter herself. I have little influence over what she eats when she is not with me.

As for the Easter Eggs, they were given to her by family who didn't know. I could hardly take them off her. It's really difficult to know what to do for the best.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Does anyone know of any vegan/animal welfare information that is suitable for an eight year old?
    I have read on another forum (www.vegfamily.com) circumstances like yours and mostly the parents provide vegan meals + treats to whoever's house their child/ren are visiting. I guess that would be a pain in the ass at times though. There's a great book, Raising Vegan Children in a Non-Vegan World that's available at vegfamily. Loads of good advice.

Quote feline01
    There's a great book, Raising Vegan Children in a Non-Vegan World that's available at vegfamily. Loads of good advice.
    Thanks feline01. I've heard good things about this book too. I think it would be a good idea to order it now. We'll get there, slowly but surely
    William Blake

Quote snivelingchild
    And you have GOT to look at feline's website and all the beautiful twin pictures. They are absolutely gorgeous!
    I second that!

Double welcome to veganmommy and twins_ellie.
    A bit rattled

Default Re: New here...anyone with vegan toddlers?

I have a two and a half year old boy but live a LONG way from you (Australia). I have done some pretty heavy searching and turned up a quite a few vegan parents in Melbourne but that is and hour and a hlaf drive and I live in a little country town. I have decided to lure all vegan parents to come and live here near me and start some amazing vego/vegan freindly learning co-op (school)! hee hee, it's working! I think I've lured someone from England! (they were travelling and like in here! yay!

Jo1234

Default Has anyone raised a vegan baby?

Hi

Has anyone raised a vegan baby here? If so please share your experience. Did you run into any problems? How easy was it? Was midwife supportive?

Thanks

yes, my son is always been vegan and it has been easy so far. My midwife was very supportive because she used to be Vegan! I have done a lot of research myself because even after 14 years vegan I had questions about nutrition for babies. I still breastfeed and think for ALL children that is really important for as long as you can, preferably until they have had enough. I am in Australia tho and dont know laws etc in other countries. We don't have that many vegans here - not like England but it is growing fast and everyone seems pretty tolerant of it. Lots of vego's but again not like England.

hello,

Pleased to meet some other vegan parents! I've got a four year old girl and a six month old boy. I'm not even sure there's any other veggies in my girls school and there are definatly no vegans judging by the dinner ladys reaction(They cooked us quorn sausages especialy!!) the school does try though and they always come and talk to me when they're doing cooking in class. How have other parents coped with explaining things to their children. I'm particularly having problems with why other people eat meat etc when it's so wrong. generally I say it's because people don't understand that it causes so much suffering but Ifind it difficult when she asks about people we know and who are friends. Sometimes I have to resort to saying that I don't know either, but I feel that there has got to be a better answer or approach. I'd like to hear how others have dealt with this? any ideas?

princessemma

My daughter is just coming up three and we are 'going vegan' she seems okay but we've had a lot of hassle from other people (especially my family). I'm not sure what we should do when she goes to other children's parties and things like that, has anyone else had this problem? My family think she's going to be a freak and of course that's really upsetting. I don't suppose anyone knows where you can get vegan jaffa cakes?

Hi,

Sorry no ideas on vegan Jaffa cakes,the "cake Scoffer" has a recipe for Mars type chocolate bars but I havent tried it yet! When it comes to birthday parties I usually just ring up the person, find out what sorts of things they're having and provide vegan versions or similar. I just accept its a time for all the junk type foods that make me cringe. I used to make a cake or muffin as well but at most the parties the cake just seems to go in the party bags to go home so I usually put a bar of chocolate in instead because I'm lazy! I also take a supply of sweets as prizes for the party games.Arn't there alot of parties though? it seems like one long social whirl for children. We are lucky in that our familys are fairly resigned to us being vegan but other parents always go a bit quiet for a while before asking the inevitable "but what do you eat?". They seem to accept it ok after that though. Good luck with your upcoming parties