Thread: generic drugs from India

Unhappy generic drugs from India

There's a Bill going through the Indian Parliament right now, that will prevent Indian drug companies producing low-cost generic drugs. Seems that India is required to pass the law in order to comply with WTO rules, that insist royalties be paid to pharmaceutical companies. India produced these generic drugs not just for themselves but they are the largest exporter of generics to devloping countries.
    Eve

Default Re: generic drugs from India

Well the law has been passed.

Manish

Manish, what did you think about it? Was there much of an opposition there?
    Eve

Eve,I have not heard/seen any oppose,at least in media,to this law except at the level of manufacturers. You can read more about it here.http://www.news-medical.net/?id=8634. But, I have read that most of them though cheap but are having bad impact on the body.But,developing countries and their population who were dependant on these would have to buy costlier ones. http://www2.rnw.nl/rnw/en/currentaff...?view=Standard

Manish

It seems that this could be catastrophic to people suffernig AIDS and other serious conditions. In the first of your two urls, there's a quote from Ellen't Hoen, of the relief agency Medecins Sans Frontieres, who says fifty percent of people with Aids in the developing world depend on generic drugs from India and the new patent law will cut the lifeline to other countries. And the 2nd url asks if it means goodbye to affordable medicines.

I wonder who wrote, what you have read, that most of them though cheap have a bad impact on the body? Possible quoting from someone in the pay of the multinational pharmaceuticals who don't like generics. What a shame for the poor people who need these medications.
    Eve

Until India learns to stand up for itself we're going to see these kind of things happen in many different areas. It has to "kiss ass".

Cheap (inexpensive) drugs being bad for the body could be propaganda for the most part. If it's bad for the body then how come a whole goddamn nation and a lot Africa and Asia is still alive and well after using them?

The pharmaceutical companies in the west don't give a damn about fixing problems if they don't make a massive profit out of it. That's why you see shitty healthcare systems in the US, even if it's one of the most technologically advanced.

Morning from here eve!