Thread: hear of vegan accountability partners?

Default hear of vegan accountability partners?

Howdy! I discovered the "Veg*n Societies & Veg*n Organizations in North America" thread - thank you SO much, that was very helpful. But, also I'm wondering if y'all have heard of accountability groups/partners. (maybe they're to be found within some of those societies/organizations?)

At my church we have accountability groups and partners for our walk in faith, but I'm the only vegan and, well, that is part of my faith, you know?

Info and thoughts both welcome. Thanks!!

Peas..i found this link. I don't know anything about the program, but it may be helpful. http://www.go-veggie.org/mentor_program.htm
    Why isn't chocolate considered a vegetable, if chocolate comes from cocoa
    beans, and all beans are a vegetable?

Thanks!

I was looking at it, and it looks more like a mentoring program for new-b's, to help them with the cross-over. That's great stuff ... but not exactly what I was looking for.

...I'm thinking maybe what I'm looking for doesn't really exist - that I'll need to become active in one of those vegan societies/organizations, make some vegan friends, and hopefully, eventually find a partner. (annoying slow process ... but I don't seem to be unearthing another option...)

Seaside

I'm not sure that I know what an accountability partner is. Do you mean another vegan to whom you are accountable in your practice of veganism? I have an idea that it is something like a couple of people who need to lose weight, and coach each other when they feel like cheating.

Geoff

I'd like to hear more about the idea of accountability groups too.

Default Re: hear of vegan accountability partners?

Sorry it's taken me so long to reply; I just got back into town.

Basically, it is a relationship in which two to four people meet face to face fairly regularly. Some might meet once a week, some maybe twice a month. Also, each person understands they are there for each other between meetings, in case of "emergency" or a particularly difficult time. Same gender partnering is highly recommended.

Confidentiality, trustworthyness, honesty, and respect for each other are of upmost importance; partners go pretty deep with each other.

Topics of discussion can include such things as some weak areas in the vegan lifestyle for a partner (like...a hang-up on cheese), a nonconstructive temper in relating to non-vegan family members, sharing of upcoming events for animal rights activism, sharing info with each other of vegan-friendly shops, restaurants, etc.

It is also recommended to have a mutually agreed upon plan for helping each other with "issues." One example would be 1)listen, 2)discuss what might be at the root of the problem for that partner, 3)discussion of possible appropriate solutions, 4)following-up in next meeting(s) to see if/how the partner is progressing with that problem.

Once in a while partners will "take a break" from the regular format to just do something fun together; this can help things from feeling too overwhelming and can help build up the friendship(s) more.

Some people like to have a topic of discussion pre-planned for a following meeting, but it is not necessary, and if a partner comes with an "issue" it takes precedence.
    --------------------
    Considering there may not even be two vegans living within reasonable proximity of each other , I wonder if a private on-line chat-room could be used, but I don't know if it could really be all that private ... ?

Seaside

That does sound interesting! I do not know any local vegans. I know a few vegetarians who use dairy products. I've never asked them if they think of going vegan. They're probably under enough pressure, and I don't like to seem pushy. A chat room would probably not be very private, unless you couldn't get access without a special password, and some kind of screening were available to keep the wrong people from getting approved.

I don't have many difficulties with my choice anymore, i.e. cravings, or worries about the correctness of my choice, etc. but it would be nice to offer support to others who are newer to being vegan!

I think that sounds like a great idea. I don't know any vegetarians or vegans in my area. I don't need help really switching over..I have done this before. I just have trouble sticking to it..I let pressure from other people and my own cravings get the better of me sometimes. I think having someone to talk to about it and what you are facing would be a good thing. To bad we don't live closer..I would even just like someone to go and do things with that feels the same way that I do.
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman. -Virginia Woolf
    Deer hunting would be fine sport, if only the deer had guns. - William S. Gilbert

Seaside

Posted by andreaveg:
    I would even just like someone to go and do things with that feels the same way that I do.
    I know exactly what you mean!

Posted by Dianecrna:
    Okay, my husband is a "Vegan of Circumstance" but he is coming around.
    I love it!

The UK is having a vegan festival, but the UK is so much smaller than the USA. It would be nice for us all to pick a halfway point and meet somewhere, if only once a year.

I found a website Meetup.com that has vegan groups in all areas of the country. You may find a very active or inactive group, but it's worth a try.

Seaside

Thanks, Dianecrna!

You're welcome Seaside. I found a vegan group that sometimes meets with a vegetarian group so you may want to check out both vegan and vegetarian.