Thread: Vegan kids and iron

tails4wagging

Question Vegan kids and iron

My friend is concerned her two year old vegan child is not getting enough Iron. She is a typical two year old, very picky on what she eats. My friend says she thinks her toe nails are 'spoon shaped' which is indictive of anaemia. I have looked at her lower eyelids and her gums which are a healthy pink. She is a pale child but so is her mum who has a pale english rose complexion.

Any suggestions which could tempt a fussy two year old??

People can sometimes get children to eat vegetables etc by disguising them as something else, or arranging them in an interesting shape, can't they? I remember my father encouraging me to eat spinach by making it into a "hedgehog" - i.e. mound of spinach with toast spines. Not that I would have contemplated eating an actual hedgehog, even in those bad old days

Pulses, as well as leafy green vegetables, are meant to be good sources of iron aren't they? Doesn't the little girl like beans or lentils? There is also blackstrap molasses which is just about palatable if you mix it with orange juice (and the vitamin c is meant to help with the absorption of the iron).

Mind you if your friend really thinks the kid is anaemic it might be an idea to consult a doc, and/or give her a suitable iron supplement. Here's a (non-vegan) page about anaemia in children http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/conditions/anaemia2.shtml

Dried fruit and nuts have lots of iron. I used to make 'sweets' for my kids by grinding together raisins and/or apricots and nuts and seeds, like hazelnuts, sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds (I used to use one of those old-fashioned meat mincers before I got a food processor) and forming the mixture into balls.

Molasses and black treacle have lots of iron as well, maybe she'd like to try flapjacks.

Because iron needs vitamin C to be absorbed properly, it would be good to give the child a drink of juice, or an orange or something, at the same time.

Also, lots of things have iron added, like Vecon for example, which your friend could add to soups, gravies, burger or pie filling mixes etc.

I think children do just go through phases, and usually it's nothing to worry about, particularly as you say your friend has a pale complexion also. It can be extra worrying for vegan mums, because health professionals are often unhelpful and sceptical, but your friend can be reassured that there are lots of perfectly healthy children who have been raised as vegans, and I'm sure her daughter will be glad to be vegan as she grows up.

Quote harpy
    People can sometimes get children to eat vegetables etc by disguising them as something else, or arranging them in an interesting shape, can't they? I remember my father encouraging me to eat spinach by making it into a "hedgehog" - i.e. mound of spinach with toast spines. Not that I would have contemplated eating an actual hedgehog, even in those bad old days
    I think there is actually some doubt about whether the iron in spinach is properly absorbed, because of the oxalic acid and other phytochemicals it contains.

Although, I loved frozen spinach as a kid and I ate lots of it, but I seem to be OK!

I just thought...houmous must have quite a bit of iron, as well as calcium, from the chick peas and tahini it contains, with the vitamin C from the lemon juice as well, and most children seem to love it, in sandwiches, pittas or as a dip with breadsticks or carrot and celery.

I don't think spinach even contains a particularly high percentage of iron, despite Popeye - there was a suggestion people used to think so because some scientist who'd analysed it got the decimal point in the wrong place, wasn't there? I was using it more as an illustration of an unappealing substance that children could be persuaded to eat through subterfuge

Having said that, I believe dark green leafy veg are meant to be a reasonable iron source, particularly if consumed with vitamin C which overcomes some of the absorption problems.

I know where you are coming from, one of my twins is a really picky eater (DS) whereas DD eats everything put infront of her.

At the risk of being chastised by my local health care professionals I even brought the subject up with my health visitor and local doctor (now that was brave, but they have been very, very supportive).

Both just looked at me as if I was crazy, said he was perfectly healthy and that it was refreshing to get a mum who gave a d*amn about their childs diet.

Although I confess I do make flapjack more than I used to LOL.

tails4wagging

Fortunately she loves humous, and she eats dried fruit bars.

She has not gone to her doctor as he is useless and would not understand. I think she is worried needlessly as she eats most things that she likes.

I have suggested to her to get watercress in her as that is high in iron. She enjoys cooking and will blend allsorts together, it is a battle sometimes!!.

I wish my two would like/get used to humous, I love it ... but their faces when I try and give it to them - hilarious!

Makes you wonder how many non-vegan mums even think about their childrens diets ...

Spinach is not a good source of iron, the best vegetable source is kale. Maybe she can juice it, kids love drinking weird looking things and green juice is certainly odd. And if she adds an orange to it, there you go. There is a liquid herbal iron supplement from Germany that I bought but haven't given the kids yet, that should be available in the UK, I'll get the name when I'm home. It's supposed to be a tasty + very efficient way to get your kids to up their iron intake.

tails4wagging

Thanks for info, folks, feline I will suggest kale/juice.

Quote feline01
    There is a liquid herbal iron supplement from Germany that I bought but haven't given the kids yet, that should be available in the UK, I'll get the name when I'm home. It's supposed to be a tasty + very efficient way to get your kids to up their iron intake.
    Yeah, I had a free sample of that stuff when I was pregnant with my first child, 20yrs. ago now, and it was REALLY tasty, I think it's made with bilberry juice. Unfortunately I can't remember what it's called either.

But it was interesting...my midwife was very disparaging about veganism, but it turned out that I was the only person in my group of expectant mothers who didn't need iron supplements. When the free sample ran out, I started drinking prune juice, which is an excellent source of iron, but unfortunately not popular with children, in my experience. That's why I didn't suggest it!

Is the liquid Floradix? Quite tasty I seem to remember, only some versions had honey in, so read the label.

tails4wagging

I have suggested she join the forum, hopefully she will pop up sometime!!!.

Quote kokopelli
    But it was interesting...my midwife was very disparaging about veganism, but it turned out that I was the only person in my group of expectant mothers who didn't need iron supplements. When the free sample ran out, I started drinking prune juice, which is an excellent source of iron, but unfortunately not popular with children, in my experience. That's why I didn't suggest it!
    Maybe mix the prune juice in with other fruit juices? Or in a smoothie?

Quote tails4wagging
    Thanks for info, folks, feline I will suggest kale/juice.

tails, children should always have their juices diluted a little as they can be too strong and concentrated for 'little systems'

tails,

The stuff I have for the babies but haven't used is called Floravital Herbal Iron Supplement. It also provides B vitamins as well. Unfortunately, I checked their website and it's not available in the UK.

tails4wagging

Thanks cedar blue, My friend is quite sensible and does offer the right 'stuff' but the little sweetie won't have it!!!!.

As already mentioned, prune juice, as well as whole prunes, dried apricots, figs and dates are all good too. Serve the child maybe slices of citrus fruit while he/she is eating oatmeal, or high vitamin C veg, like red capsicum or tomatoes with wholegrains.

Default Re: Vegan kids and iron

Hello!!

Wow...What a great forum this is! I'm glad I found the link for this site....
    so here goes first post...

I'm mother to a 21mnth old vegan boy....and I too have been concerned about the iron situation...I HAVE been able to buy Floridax in the UK (Bran Tub - Health shop Petersfield, Hants) so I guess it might be in others too....I tend to put it in a Banana/Tahini smoothie ot any other juices a few times a week...Have been aware since pregnancy of the imporance of vit C to absorb iron well

The Black strap Molases flapjacks sound like a good idea..will have to find some & try that....& Bear in mind Jucing Kale too

Nobody here seems to have mention apricots...aren't they supposed to have high iron content too...and you can buy them in little "sweetie" packs to from most supermarkets...

gingerlass x

oops just seen Banana has mentioned apricots!!!

i'm pretty sure i've seen Floradix and Floravital in most branches of Holland & Barrett, in case anybody is wondering.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'