View Poll Results: How did you go vegan - and was it easy for you?

Voters
531. You may not vote on this poll
  • Omni -> vegan. Easy.

154 29.00%
  • Omni -> vegan. Difficult.

4 0.75%
  • Omni -> vegan. Somewhere between easy and difficult.

48 9.04%
  • Omni -> lacto-vegetarian -> vegan. Omni to lacto-veggie was easiest.

125 23.54%
  • Omni -> lacto-veggie -> vegan. Lacto-veggie to vegan was easiest.

149 28.06%
  • Less difficult than it would have been to continue not to live according to my viewpoints (added July-06)

51 9.60%
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Going vegan - was it easy for you?

Question Going vegan - was it easy for you?

Which diet / lifestyle change was easiest for you ??

Default Re: Going vegan - was it easy for you?

Looking back, it was not difficult at all really, I did ALOT of reading about vegetarianism (I went to library and got stacks of books on it because I knew nothing much about it) when I was still eating animal flesh. Next day or 2, I became lacto-ovo veg, for 5 years. After 5 years, decided no more animal ANYTHING, and just like that stopped eating animal stuff. Very smooth transition, occassional slip up unintentionally, but so much happier now. I just wish I knew years ago what I know now.

Since I have done extensive research on health and the animal industries, it was actually quite easy for me to go vegan. I'm surprised I don't crave animal products either. I also breastfeed my daughter, so I would feel guilty if I put harmful chemicals and such that she would injest.

I went from omni to vegan. It was a fairly smooth transition. I was thinking of giving up dairy of purely health reasons. At the same time, I started to re-evaluate my spirtuality and such. I had always claimed to respect Mother Nature and her gifts. I felt hypocritical beacause I was eating meat. So the more I read about vegeterianism, the more veganism popped up. And I was like, "That's it!"

Astrocat

I went from Lacto-Ovo-Vegetarian to being Vegan - it was easy as the only reason i felt comfortable with being vegetarian to begin with was due to lack of knowledge - upon enlightenment of the ethical inconsistencies of vegetarianism i went Vegan at a running pace.
    To say that it is difficult to get good vegan food here would be an understatement, but it is very easy to be vegan.

I went omni to veggie to vegan, but neither were particularly difficult. I suppose turning vegan has been harder in terms of finding vegan products and making vegan food, although omni to veggie was harder in a sense because I no independence or finances to make choices like I do now. Anyhow being vegan weighs alot easier on the mind.
    "He who binds himself to a Joy, Does the winged life destroy;
    He who kisses the Joy as it flies, Lives in Eternity's sunrise"
    William Blake

i went from omni to lacto-ovo veggie when i was 12 and that was really easy. the hardest part was telling my parents and convincing them that it would be healthy, and that wasn't that bad.

the hardest thing about going from lacto-ovo to vegan was my attitude. i spent far too long thinking it would be really difficult, but when the time was right for me i made the transition no problem.

of course i've made the odd mistake over the years but i've never been seriously tempted to eat something i shouldn't - once i realised the truth about animal foods it put me right off them anyway. it's really easy to find vegan food here so i'm very lucky in that respect.

so i voted that omni -> lacto-ovo was easier because i managed to do it overnight, whereas lacto-ovo -> vegan took me a bit longer to work into my diet (a few weeks or so) and unforunately a lot longer to realise i would be able to do it.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

This is a very interesting poll - thanks gert!

I struggled with my lacto-ovo for years, until the final 2 years of it before i went vegan a year ago. Making the decision to go vegan was the easiest choice i've ever made in my life. Wish i'd made it years ago...

FR

Omni to lacto veggie to vegan. Both transitions were very easy.

I spent 9 or so years being a lacto-ovo vegetarian. When I was anorexic, they made me eat fish - so I was a "vegequarian" for a year or so. Then I eliminated dairy, once I was well enough - coz I had been reading a lot about how dairy industry feeds the meat industry, as well as the cruelty involved. But I was still a fish eater, until I finally out a stop to it.

I find being vegan hard sometimes - sometimes I find it easy. It depends.

ChartT

Going from an omnivore to a ovo-lacto vegetarian was easy. It took me about a year of thinking it through to change. I knew real deep it was the right thing do. That made it easy. A lot of cooking and eating shifted to include eggs and dairy.

Going vegan was easy in a sense, as I had wanted to for awhile ... but finding replacements for eggs and dairy was difficult as I eat lunch out every day. But I found Chinese, Thai, Vietnamese, Indian, Japanese, Mexican and Carribbean restaurants that serve vegan food at affordable prices. And I re-learned cooking, without eggs or dairy. But that was more difficult.

I have not found it easy. It is getting easier though.

I don't really deal with "temptation" so much as my diet was not particularly varied most of my life, so the not easy part has been finding sufficient food that I am willing to try and continue eating. The joy of being picky.

Smile not too easy, not too difficult

It wasn't too difficult for me, because there are Whole Foods Markets here in Houston. Some of the other grocery stores are carrying some vegan friendly items, also. It just took some time for me to read labels and figure out what I like. I'm always on the look-out for new stuff and recipes to try, though!

I went from omni to veggie first, then veggie to vegan. I didn't find becomin veggie at all hard, and being vegan isn't hard at all. There are so many things that are vegan these days. I did love cheese, but I discovered parmazano. It's so versatile. I also love chocolate, that was no problem as I love green and blacks and booja-booja.

I just bought some scheese. Anyone tried it? hope it's not gross!
    'Never eat more than you can lift' - 'Miss Piggy' :p

Quote sophia
    I just bought some scheese. Anyone tried it? hope it's not gross!
    It is!

Astrocat

hahaha, no seriously - it tastes like feet.

That said, I'm eating some Cheezly on weird seeded-spelt crisp breads just now, and it's rather nice

Quote gertvegan
    Which diet / lifestyle change was easiest for you ??
    Going from omni to lacto veggie was hard only because my reasons were confused and I did like the taste of meat (at that time!! not any more!). This latest switch has only been hard because i like eggs and I have got a lot of strange looks from friends and family. Some think I'm making things difficult for myself with the intention of eventual martydom.

I just shake my head...

I think everyting you want 100% for all the right reasons is easy.

Giving up meat was so easy for me at age 16 although I thought I could never do without fish as I just liked it so much.

A few years ago, I became a bit more involved in the animal scene and it brought home to me that fish are indeed living creatures like cows, pigs and chickens and that with my tuna sandwich, I am eating carcasses just as those who have a hamburger. So giving up fish was the next logical step for me and I did not miss it a single bit.

About three months after I made the switch, I had one tuna sandwich (because I was hungry and there was nothing else there!) and did not even like it. I ate it half and it disgusted me so much that I just threw it in the bin.

When giving up fish I bought some vegetarian nutrition books because I wanted to learn where to get my nutrients and proteins from. A few of these books touched on vegan nutrition as well but I had to read them for a second time last year to really decide to give it a go.

I found it hard and although I cut down a big deal, i.e. never used milk again but soy instead, I felt I could not do without cheese and yoghurt. As my attachment to these foods was so strong I just gave it up.

2 weeks ago, I decided to give it a second try - originally, to lose 3 pounds I have gained (still 3 to go...) but while reading the book "Becoming vegan" again I really felt that this is what I want to do, and so far, with one day off, it`s been well...

I do consider myself as a vegetarian in transition to veganism...

littleTigercub

I started making the transition to veganism over a month ago. I had become a vegetarian 8 years ago.

I think what has surprised me most is, not only is it not nearly as difficult to be a vegan as I had previously thought, but how EASY it WAS to be a vegetarian!! Becoming a vegan has made me realize that vegetarianism was actually an "easy way out" for me. I wonder if anyone here can relate to that.

I now wish I had made the vegan decision back when I made the vegetarian one, but I really wasn't aware of the truth about dairy/eggs/animal byproducts until more recently...it certainly is true that consuming dairy/eggs/etc is just as bad as consuming meat. It's really too bad that veganism tends to seem impossible to many vegetarians...I know that before I saw Howard Lyman give a lecture ("The Mad Cowboy" -- former cattle rancher who is now vegan......not sure how many of you guys have heard of him?...anyway, he's Great!!), I had thought it would be too hard for me to EVER become vegan...but Lyman made me understand that it's really NOT difficult, and so very important for so many reasons, and then it was only a matter of months before I began to make the switch.

I know what you mean about looking back and realising how easy being vegetarian was. I only mean in the sense of eating out though, as there are so many vegan products around these days.
    I was amazed at how easy it was TBH

Gliondrach

Quote Monkey Wild
    I started making the transition to veganism over a month ago. I had become a vegetarian 8 years ago.

I think what has surprised me most is, not only is it not nearly as difficult to be a vegan as I had previously thought, but how EASY it WAS to be a vegetarian!! Becoming a vegan has made me realize that vegetarianism was actually an "easy way out" for me. I wonder if anyone here can relate to that.

I now wish I had made the vegan decision back when I made the vegetarian one, but I really wasn't aware of the truth about dairy/eggs/animal byproducts until more recently...it certainly is true that consuming dairy/eggs/etc is just as bad as consuming meat. It's really too bad that veganism tends to seem impossible to many vegetarians...I know that before I saw Howard Lyman give a lecture ("The Mad Cowboy" -- former cattle rancher who is now vegan......not sure how many of you guys have heard of him?...anyway, he's Great!!), I had thought it would be too hard for me to EVER become vegan...but Lyman made me understand that it's really NOT difficult, and so very important for so many reasons, and then it was only a matter of months before I began to make the switch.

I'm going to buy his book.

I don't know if I started out in this world as a vegan. I was only a baby at the time, so don't know what kind of milk I was first fed on. At some point in my babyhood I became a lacto - when I was fed on buffalo milk. Then I became an omni. Again, I'm not sure how easy that was for me, as I was still a baby. Many, many years later I became a lacto-ovo, overnight. I just decided to do it. Strangely, about two years after this, I was in a motorway services place. I had about half an hour before the bus continued on its journey. I went to a dispenser machine and bought a pack of two sandwiches. I ate them as I read my book. It was only when I was back on the bus that I realised that they had been tongue sandwiches! I had absentmindedly and unconsciously chosen them. I never liked tongue so I don't know why I chose them. Perphaps I had pressed the wrong button, mistaking it for the one for cheese or egg sandwiches. I became vegan after living as a vegan for a few weeks. It was quite easy. But I did have that rehearsal period first. I am now working on becoming a saint. Nearly there.

theres no button to chose born veggie!
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

I went lacto-Ovo at about the age of 5 so I dont remember much about the transition there, But when I became a vegan about a year ago I didn't find it difficult at all. I personally found that once I realised the truth about the dairy industry etc, I found all animal products sickening and had no desire for them anymore.

I've been a lacto-vegetarian since November, and turning vegan has been very difficult. I've been doing it in stages, cause quite frankly I never really ate meat that much before becoming vegetarian, but I never really ate VEGETABLES either time, so now I'm getting rid of a food group I usually consumed nearly 80% of the time I ever ate. So its been tough. But its getting there. I drink soy milk exclusively now, and no longer go out to fast food places, but still have things I need to be rid of forever before I can be totally vegan. ^^ Peace

I have been vegan since -98, and the change was very easy.
    I´ve never liked meat so that probably made it easier, and I don´t like dairy either.
    Also my mom is a very good and innovative cook, and she helped me with cooking so I learned how to make food that was healthy and tasty.

The only problem for me was that I didn´t care about b-12, I´ve just recently had it tested and started eating it as a pill.
    I had it tested last winter and it was normal, which was a surprise for me, but I am still going to continue to eat it, just in case.

I went Veggie because of indigestion and a lack of interest in eating meat. I had already stopped using Animal products at this stage, and couldn't eat eggs.

I turned Vegan because I found out how disgusting dairy was. Easy peasy. It was also the best bit, because dairy really coats your tongue with gunk.

vegandolly

As easy as breathing(once I discovered how to make a cup of UNcurdled coffee )

I became vegan a couple months back and I must say it was a bit hard at the beginning. I don't have my own place so I live with people who are omnivores and think I'm crazy for choosing not to eat animal or animal b/p's.

After getting a couple of basics everything has been fine. I still have cravings but a full belly with veggies, beans and grains feels so much better then a belly of dead animal...

All in all I'm very proud to have made the decision to become vegan. My body thanks me for it.

Meimeik
    Life Is GOOD! :p

It was easy for me. It's not hard, as in, I had no urge to eat any animal products. But on campus there isn't a lot of selection, so it can be annoying at times. There is only one cafeteria covered by the meal plan, and the meal plan is required, and there is pretty much no vegan food there. ugh!

I went from omni to lacto-ovo vegetarian (6 years ago) to vegan (a year plus some ago). Going from lacto-ovo veggie was easier, but basically because I didn't encounter the same kind of resistence from others. When I first turned vegetarian, I did it not knowing anything about it, in fact, I thought it was a bad idea (health-wise), I'd never met another vegetarian, I knew nothing at all about nutrition... I basically did it because - I couldn't help it! I just couldn't eat meat anymore, I just couldn't. So I decided to 'take a break' until 'I came to my senses'. Well, I'm still as senseless as then, and even more so. But anyway, when I stopped eating meat, everyone was against it, my family, my friends, even virtual strangers kept telling me about the dangers of vegetarianism... So that was hard. But staying away from meat: that was easy. Because, originally, I stayed away from meat, not because I wanted to (I didn't) but because I couldn't help it.

Now, going vegan... I want to say that it was easy. And it was in the sense that once I decided to try to be vegan, I didn't have any slips, I didn't crave anything, and the reaction of my family and friends was surprisingly good. So in that sense, it was very easy. But I think that the reason that it was so easy was that I did it at a moment when I was really ready for it. I had been thinking about it for a long time, and it was a sort of a long-term plan for a while, but it just didn't seem feasible. I felt guilty, but I minded the idea of not eating dairy more than I minded feeling guilty, so I did nothing about it for a while. (But it's also that I thought that veganism couldn't possibly be healthy, so that I'd be sacrificing myself for the animals. Obviously, I don't believe that at all anymore.) So there I was, feeling guilty about eating dairy and eggs for a couple of years or so, resisting change, rationalizing... And then at one point, I'd had enough, and I just went vegan. (Learning about the harmful effects of milk - I actually think I might be allergic to it, though I never got tested - also had something to do with it. Served as a kind of catalyst for the change. ) So, in a sense, I went vegan in spite of myself, and it was a real relief to do so. (Although before I went vegan, I did quite a bit of research, which wasn't at all the case when I first stopped eating meat.)

So that's my experience. Was it easy? Yeah. Once I decided that I really couldn't handle, couldn't deal with eating first meat and then dairy and eggs anymore.

Quote Gorilla
    i went from omni to lacto-ovo veggie when i was 12 and that was really easy. the hardest part was telling my parents and convincing them that it would be healthy, and that wasn't that bad.
    i was lacto-ovo at 12 also. i told them i was giving up meat for lent (just happened to be in feb. when i decided) they were pissed but couldn't mess with jesus, even though that was the same time i questioned my religious up bringing. that was easy. after the proper info vegan was easy too. it is one thing in my life that i could easily stick to.

the switch to ovo-lacto was pretty easy becuase i just didn't even really like the taste of meat too much anymore...but i had a few slips...going from veggie to vegan was really easy for me...it's partly cuz i just started going vegan slowly without even really thinking about it...i remember when i told ppl i had decided to finally make the full switch, they were like "i thought u already were!!" it was pretty cool, and i really like being vegan, i think it was very easy for me...especially cuz i had done a lot of research and found this site pretty soon after making the switch...
    Peace Love Surf.

it was really easy for me. i went from being a full fledged omnivore to a vegan in a matter of minutes, after seeing the meet your meat video. and then i never turned back.
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

It was easy for me initially, and I hate to say it, it was easy because I was anorexic and I didn't eat much anyway. I didn't become vegan for the wrong reasons though.

Now that I am not anorexic, I do find it challenging. At home it is easy, because I am in full control of what I buy - I know where to go to get everything I need, and I cook satisfying meals. But when someone else is cooking, I usually end up with the side vegetables People are learning though.

I used to feel like a social outcast because of it - but I am learning to accept my minority status in society and embrace my individuality. There is no way to switch to pure ignorance - I have tried. For me, there is no choice but to be vegan, because I can't just erase what I know and pretend I don't care, for the sake of making things "easy". Besides, being vegan is becoming more mainstream everyday - I am seeing more and more places and products popping up everywhere.

I think it is important to realise that we are not perfect, and we don't have to be. The point of veganism is to do the most good - so just trying your best is what is required

Going vegetarian was easy. The millisecond I determined that it was viable I did it. But, at the time, I could not envision a life without cheese, ice cream, chocolate, and yogurt. That was a lot harder. Dairy and eggs aren't repulsive to me because they aren't flesh. For me, not eating a part of a body was the main thing. There was an intellectual process I had to go through to eliminate the rest and it took some time.

I found going vegetarian easy. I wanted to be vegetarian for years before I became one but my mum wouldn't let me. I got my I can do whatever I want attitude though so became vegetarian then. It was easy. I became vegan once just so I had an excuse not to eat so much. I started just being vegetarian again though tut. But because of my intolerances to diary etc I decided to become a vegan for the right reasons because I don't like eating animal things. It took a lot of persuading to get my mum to allow it as she has to buy my food.

Did that even make sense? No idea oh well.
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

that made perfect sense witchy
    Peace Love Surf.

I became a non-mammal eater in 1990 and I stopped eating shrimp in 1991; I started weening down on the other meats over the years, and finally became a full-time/commited lacto-ovo vegetarian in 2004. About 2 months after that, I became vegan.

For me, the hardest thing was giving up real cheese . . . soy cheese is yummy, but it doesn't taste like real honest-to-gosh provolone melted over my eggplant and it doesn't taste like authentic Italian fresh gratted parmasean on my pasta . . . and nothing comes close to a hot mozzerella pizza!

(Although, I will say that ricotta seems pretty easy to fake with soy. The first time I had "nada ricotta" in Berkeley, on my first ever vegan pizza, I was totally fooled by the flavor.)

I watched PeTA's "Meet your Meat" video and found out how the diary industry is linked to the veal industry . . . I just couldn't eat cheese ever again. That was it for me and deliciously-bad-for-my-health pizza and all the other cheeses I never thought I could live without. (Of course, my Italian mama was shocked and horrified . . . "what do you mean, 'no cheese!? That's all wrong!")

The "Meet Your Meat" vid also got me to finally stop eating birds for good. I had been eating them on occation, not regularly, but, every once in a while I'd have chicken or salmon -- no more! And I feel all the better for it.

So, after a little soul searching and self-education mixed with a whole lot of will power, I made the step to vegan and I'm never going back again.
    "Ignorance is a curable disease"

Omni, to kinda vegetarian at 12 (after watching the Faces of Death doc on animals)... then learned about Vegan at 17, and quit "cold-turkey" (lol). Easy cuz there was No Way i could go back after finding all that out! Thx Peta!
    "Stand your ground this is what we are fighting for.." -VNV

I went "cold tofurkey" overnight, thanks to several websites where I learned the truth. It was very easy for me because non-vegan food was suddenly not an edible option.

Quote Juice
    It was very easy for me because non-vegan food was suddenly not an edible option.
    Xactly! ;)
    "Stand your ground this is what we are fighting for.." -VNV

On CSI NY last night the examiner microwaved a slab of some dead guy's flesh to enable him to restore the tattoo that had been laser removed, and I thought there was no difference between what I saw and an omni microwaving animal flesh. It's all on the same level of 'grossness'.

Seaside

Quote Juice
    On CSI NY last night the examiner microwaved a slab of some dead guy's flesh to enable him to restore the tattoo that had been laser removed, and I thought there was no difference between what I saw and an omni microwaving animal flesh. It's all on the same level of 'grossness'.
    I wonder if the examiner got hungry doing that. It's supposed to smell just like pork.

I was ovo-lacto for almost seven years before I dropped dairy, and then dropped egg. And no, I don't know why it took me so long!
    But for me, maybe because of how slowly I took it, going vegan was pretty much effortless, because raw fruits & veggies were already about 70% of my ovo-lacto diet, just because I naturally liked them and craved them.
    The only "hard" part of going commitedly vegan, was reading labels on little things like condiments and stuff, and learning about hidden animal ingredients in everything (and not just food).

It's lots easier to be vegan than I ever thought it would be! Going veg was easier simply because I didn't like meat but being vegan is easy too.
    'You must do what you feel is right'. That's why it's easy!

Once I learned the truth about dairy I could no longer be a part of it. I not only lost all interest in eating dairy I felt utter remorse for ever having eaten it and anger at how I had been lied to.

Those beautiful creatures suffering as they do is such betrayal

Excuse me here now chaps, but I must write this: being a woman and looking at those cow women with grossly swollen udders and constant mastitis; those blameless creatures, constantly pregnant and struggling to walk with the weight of milk for guzzling humans; those gentle 'ladies' never allowed to nurse their babies, babies who are snatched away to join their fate, or worse?

There was no question, once I knew the truth, I lost all desire to be complicit in their suffering. If I had known earlier I would never have eaten dairy.

I grew up next to a small dairy farm which contributed to my ignorance of the reality that is modern dairy farming - the farm I knew was what most people think of when they consume dairy without guilt. Of course I had no idea that cows had to be continually pregnant, or what happened to their babies, etc. I just saw them out in the field and naively thought 'life' was better than death for meat. Now, of course, I am not a child and I know that life in itself is not enough.

I personally cannot understand how the 'moral vegetarians' who truly know what goes on, still find it acceptable to participate in the unjustifiable suffering that is dairy.

I LOVE BEING VEGAN! VEGAN IS LIFE
    "Be the change you wish to see in the world." Mahatma Gandhi.

Thumbs up Re: Going vegan - was it easy for you?

For me it was a path:
    1. CRON (calorie restriction optimal nutrition) reading led me to read:
    2. The China Study. After reading this and the correlation between animal protein and growth of cancer cells, it was as easy as could be.
    Now I'm cooking up a storm and enjoying the variety of foods that I never would have eaten before. It's become a passion for me (but it's only been three weeks ), reading, studying cookbooks, buying a pressure cooker, shopping, and cooking.

At least for a while it's given me a respite from keeping up with politics! My blood pressure dropped a couple of points.

One thing I really appreciate about my newfound way of life is my being proactive in avoiding cancer (after having it once seven years ago). Before it seemed a matter of luck whether I'd get it again, but now it seems a matter of choice.

My primary reason for going vegan is my health and secondary is animal rights. I wish I could have had it opposite, but it's better than never making the transition.

Pat

Carry On

I became a vegetarian when I was 13, then I went Vegan two year later. I'm 22 now and still vegan, and plan on it till I snuff it. The reason I still ate meat was because my mum and dad did so I just followed. My sister who was/is a strict vegetarian led me into becoming a vegetarian myself. I also had help from several uncles and cousins that were vegan/vegetarian so the jump was not to difficult. After that I choose to find out more on why I made this decision, and rented some books on animal rights. After reading "animal Liberation" by Peter Singer I was blown away. Shortly after I became Vegan. I have never been so passionate about something and I did my research and I'm so glad about it.

Omni -> Lacto-veggie -> Vegan. Both steps extremely easy.

no other?

i was raised vegetarian, and one day i woke up vegan.