Thread: How very odd

Talking How very odd

Hopefully I'm not speaking to soon but I think it's ok. I went vegan in febuary, and now spring is here. I was walking across a walk-way-tube thing (don't know what they're called they connect building to building) this one isn't completely covered so outside air can flow through, and I walked right by this big tree at eye level with the top of it and outside all I could see on the tree were MASSIVE amounts of pollen, and then I thought how very odd, I can breathe! My head doesn't hurt! I'm not stopped up! Last year my allergies were so bad I had to buy clariten (very expensive crap) and I knew something was wrong with my health that my allergies were getting sequentally worse each year. This year, I feel like 10 years younger! Amazing...can't help but think it has something to do with going vegan this year. Just thought I would share that

Default Re: How very odd

I have heard about this before. Dairy clogs up the sinuses, so maybe your sinuses were clear for the first time?

Sinus infection can be part of an immune system issue. Eating a healthier diet improves your immune system and can lessen the impact of infection. Allergies can also be aggrivated by an allergic reaction to food, for instance I lost a some issues when I dropped dairy and grains (constant nasal infection, asthma, arthritis, and psoriasis for starters), and many other people report recovery from athma from dropping certain foods.

Excercise helps too...

Stu

I get really bad hay fever, so since Kimba mentioned Claritin, I was wondering if you guys know of any hay fever / antihistamine type thingies that are suitable for us freaks.

They tend to contain lactose; I'd like to find one without, in time for summer.
    I'm sure there are other people on here who would like to find such a product.

i use benadryl for my allergies and it doesnt contain lactose, but im not sure if they sell it there.
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

Wouldn't that stuff still be tested on animals, though?

this is a very tricky issue for me, i get hay fever and in the past have used nasal spray and eye drops to relieve symptoms.

if these products are not vegan and are tested on animals does this mean i cannot function for a month or so in the real world?

i have tried homeopathic, bach remedies, essential oils etc in the past and they do not seem to work for me although they help alleiviate some symptoms they do not stop the running nose, throat itching, eye itching & watering etc

Quote cedarblue
    this is a very tricky issue for me, i get hay fever and in the past have used nasal spray and eye drops to relieve symptoms.

if these products are not vegan and are tested on animals does this mean i cannot function for a month or so in the real world?

i have tried homeopathic, bach remedies, essential oils etc in the past and they do not seem to work for me although they help alleiviate some symptoms they do not stop the running nose, throat itching, eye itching & watering etc
    Donald Watson founded The Vegan Society in November of 1944.

The society defines vegan lifestyles as:

“…ways of living that seek to exclude, as far as is possible and practical, all forms of exploitation of animals for food, clothing or any other purpose.”
    That is taken from another thread in the main forum. So, I guess do what's practical, and keep searching for something that's not animal tested. And maybe think about the foods you eat, and so some research on the main foods in your diet and see if any of them are linked to hay fever, or nasal problems.

I had mild asthma before I went vegan and I'm still wondering what happened to it - NOT THAT I MISS IT!

You know what is even more odd? :P My nickname everywhere online is Kimba, too, and I went vegan in February, too. Hi!

LoL! Hi Kim. Have you ever met another guy named Kim?

Quote Kim[ba]
    Hopefully I'm not speaking to soon but I think it's ok. I went vegan in febuary, and now spring is here. I was walking across a walk-way-tube thing (don't know what they're called they connect building to building) this one isn't completely covered so outside air can flow through, and I walked right by this big tree at eye level with the top of it and outside all I could see on the tree were MASSIVE amounts of pollen, and then I thought how very odd, I can breathe! My head doesn't hurt! I'm not stopped up! Last year my allergies were so bad I had to buy clariten (very expensive crap) and I knew something was wrong with my health that my allergies were getting sequentally worse each year. This year, I feel like 10 years younger! Amazing...can't help but think it has something to do with going vegan this year. Just thought I would share that
    Thanks for sharing that, Kim[ba]!

Several different doctors (who are not vegan, btw) told me that cows milk causes the human body to over-produce mucus. Also, as an omni I was ill every autumn. I'm hardly ever sick now.

Same here.

I was sick several times a year and now I get sick once a year, if that.

I used to use allergy meds (some brand I got at the hfs) but not so much anymore.
    It's vegan, which means it's vegetarian which means there's nothing unheathy in it. -- my guy trying to explain vegan junkfood.

I use Flonase for my allergies and generic clindomycin phosphate gel for my face to help with my rosacea. I'm still pretty phlemmy (sp?), but my nose never runs. I do think I'm starting to detox, I'm three weeks into being a vegan now.

spo

Quote Peas'nHominy
    Thanks for sharing that, Kim[ba]!
    Several different doctors (who are not vegan, btw) told me that cows milk causes the human body to over-produce mucus. Also, as an omni I was ill every autumn. I'm hardly ever sick now.
    Hi, Peas and Kim[ba]
    They have a saying, taught in nursing: "MMMM" it means "Milk makes more mucus"!!!
    I sure have less asthma and allergies since being vegan over 15yrs!!! Yeah!!
    spo