Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Organic – or not?

Default Organic – or not?

From http://www.organicfood.co.uk/topten.html

10 Top Reasons to Go Organic

(and there are many, many more!)

Organic produce is not covered in a cocktail of poisonous chemicals. The average conventionally-grown apple has 20-30 artificial poisons on its skin, even after rinsing. Trust your instincts, and go organic!

Fresh organic produce contains on average 50% more vitamins, minerals, enzymes and other micro-nutrients than intensively farmed produce. Science says that it's good for you.

Going organic is the only practical way to avoid eating genetically modified (GM) food. And by buying organic food, you are registering your mistrust of GMO's and doing your bit to protest against them.

If you eat dairy or meat products, going organic has never been more essential to safeguard you and your family's health. Intensively-reared dairy cows and farm animals are fed a dangerous cocktail of anti-biotics, hormones, anti-parasite drugs and many other medicines on a daily basis, whether they have an illness or not. These drugs are passed directly onto the consumers of their dairy produce or meat., which must be a contributing factor to meat-related diseases like coronaries and high blood pressure.

About 99% of non-organic farm animals in the UK are now fed GM soya. And there has never been a reported case of BSE in organic cattle in the UK. Common sense says that organic is safe food.

Organic produce simply tastes so much better. Fruit and vegetables full of juice and flavour, and so many different varieties to try! There are about 100 different kinds of organic potatoes in production in the UK, and that's just potatoes!

Organic farms support and nurture our beautiful and diverse wildlife. Over the last thirty years, intensive farming in the UK has led to dramatic erosion of the soil, a fall of up to 70% of wild birds in some areas, the destruction of ancient hedgerows, and the near extinction of some of the most beautiful species of butterflies, frogs, grass-snakes and wild mammals.

Organic food is not really more expensive than intensively farmed foods, as we pay for conventional foods through our taxes. We spend billion of pounds every year cleaning up the mess that agro-chemicals make to our natural water supply. And the BSE crisis cost us 4 billion pounds. Go organic for a genuine more cost-effective future.

Intensive farming can seriously damage farm workers' health. There are much higher instances of cancer, respiratory problems and other major diseases in farm workers from non-organic farms. This is particularly true in developing countries, and for agrochemical farms growing cotton. So go organic if you care about other people.

And if you simply like the idea of your children and grandchildren being able to visit the countryside and play in the forests and fields just like we did when we were young, go organic for the sake of all of our futures.
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Seaside

Default Re: 10 Top Reasons to Go Organic

Thanks, Korn!

Another good reason to go organic is the availabilty of out-of-season produce from foreign countries. Here in the USA many chemicals like DDT are banned from use, so the manufacturers sell them to third-world countries to use on their own crops, which are then imported into the USA! Does this make sense?

I'm all for organic food too. I try to eat Organic as much as possible and Jilli and the rats only eat organic meat.

Organic: what's really in it? More of us are choosing to pay extra for organic foods - but do we know what we're buying? Jane Feinmann discovers which products really do provide health benefits - and which ones aren't worth the money
    The above from the UK Independent yesterday. Full article at http://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/f...p?story=630785
    Eve

Well, at the worst organic food is more expensive without packing more nutrients and vitamins, but at least the food has been farmed in a more enviormentally safe manner. Consider the people that live in heavy farm towns that get sick every time pesticides and fertelizers are sprayed in mass quanities from planes, what that in turn does to the soil, the water, etc. I think it's worth paying extra just to contribute to more enviormental freindly farming practices.

I agree with you Kimba, there is more at stake than just "health" benefits. We have unwittingly sold much of our environmental health and natural resources for cheap food and products. I wonder what we will be willing to pay in the future to try to turn back the clock?

Here in the USA many chemicals like DDT are banned from use, so the manufacturers sell them to third-world countries to use on their own crops, which are then imported into the USA! Does this make sense?
    I did not know this!! I assumed all US food was DDT-free!!

Does anyone know if pesticides definitely cause cancer or is it just a probable suspicion? I mean, are there any specific studies? I am on a school mealplan and absolutely nothing is organic, but I am so scared of getting cancer from pesticides...

Sarah, if you want a fairly good description of how cancers form, The China Study is one place to start. One of the points the author makes is that there are many carcinogens we come in contact with yet some grow and some don't. He postulates that there is something about animal protein which allows cancer cells to move from the stage of seeding to cell division (maybe the mix of amino acids?). I think that if you are eating a good amount of fruits and vegetables then you are getting all the cancer protection you can. Remember, your cosmetics, water, air all contain carcinogens so you really can't avoid them - you just need to eat all the foods which fight them. And those foods are fruits and vegetables.

So you'll be fine at school. (Even organic foods are contaminated to some extent with chemicals - there are just too many in the environment).

(P.S. - If you really want to avoid the pesticides which have been banned in the U.S. then don't purchase any flowers grown outside the U.S. since they are not regulated. If you don't eat it, the government doesn't regulate it. Of course, you breathe in the flower pesticides, but I guess that's a little point that they missed. )
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

Organic food costs more also because it is harder to grow. A lot of the modified plants are hardier than the "natural' ones that are certified organic. So, the modified ones, especially with the use of chemicals, are easier to grow.

Karma Girl,
    The reason organic food costs more is not because it is more difficult to grow as much as it's not usually corporate owned and therefore grown by farmers who own (rather than lease) their land. Corporations who charge more for organic products are also making a bigger profit. If you have ever been a gardener then you know that organic gardening is not really more difficult than chemical gardening. And you can have your children around the plants because you don't have to worry that they may be exposed to dangerous chemicals just by walking through the rows. At farmer's markets the organic produce isn't more expensive than the chemical produce since it's all coming from small farms.

And genetically modified seeds have a higher cost (especially in the long run) since you must purchase them every year, unlike natural seeds, because they either won't produce viable seeds or carry patent laws on them. Not all of these GMO's are hardier than natural unless you consider the ability to be saturated with patented herbicide as a seedling to be a desired trait.

Farming has been around for thousands of years using purely organic methods. Even with that humans have managed to cause soil erosion and depletion in some areas. Conventional farming is just picking up the pace of soil depletion for "ease" and profit.

It's a simple choice to me. Pay now or pay later. And invest in your future even if you don't get immediate returns.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

Quote DianeVegan
    If you have ever been a gardener then you know that organic gardening is not really more difficult than chemical gardening.
    Actually, I have had a garden since I was very young, and live around organic producers, many of which have only recently switched to organic methods. Keeping bugs out of produce is a lot harder with organic crops as is only using organic (not petroleum based) fertilizers. The organic methods end up casting the farmers more due to greater loss of product due to bugs. A lot of the modified produce has a greater resistance to insects, which just proves on its own that there is something unhealthy about it.

The cost of producing the product is not the only reason that it costs more (which is why I said "also") but it is a factor. And, it is also a justification for paying more. The organic farmers grow their crops in an ethical fashion and should be rewarded for that. I rather pay 10 - 15% on organic and know that I'm not killing my family. I also have no problem with paying local growers more for their fresh, organic produce.

Thanks for replying, Karma Girl. I almost misunderstood your first post to be in defense of chemical farming. I'm glad you elaborated.

I think the insect control issue with organic gardening sometimes has a lot to do with the weather - some years I had more problems than others. I guess it just never bothered me much as we grew up with bug bites in some of our food.

Quote DianeVegan
    I guess it just never bothered me much as we grew up with bug bites in some of our food.
    Yeah, it's never bothered me, either. But, you know how people are when they buy their produce- if it's not 100% perfect, they don't buy it. Too many people are too far removed from nature that they expect perfection in everything. I have had people tell me I was "insane" for keeping my veggie and fruit scraps from lunch to take home for our compost. They just have no idea how to reuse our resources.

The produce like apples at grocery stores (except for Farmer's markets) is covered with a waxy substance, that could be beeswax or shellac (both animal-based).

Is the coating on certified organic fruits also certified Vegan? Always wanted to know. Thanks, Ron

I've never gotten anything organic that had a coating on it. Do they coat organic? Is it just where I shop that doesn't have coatings?

I think that they coat organic -- at least at Trader Joe's & Whole Foods. There's nothing like an apple from one of those summer/fall farmer's markets. Uncoated fruit just tastes so natural.

I just wish that they would label the fruit with the actual coating used, instead of having some generic sign at Whole Foods that says "may be coated with aaa, bbbb, ccc, dddd, or eeeee" & other stores don't even have any sign about coatings, but those "shiny" fruits have something on them.

I think organic fruits & foods can also be grown in fields with cow manure as fertilizer -- yuk! -- so we're forced to make some compromises -- until someone starts a Vegan certification program for this stuff.

Actually, I'm only being very picky on this board, since I think I may find some sympathy among other vegans. Of course in real life, we need to just do the best we can.

mango woman

because i just ate an organic banana for the first time ever and it was the BEST banana i have EVER eaten.. EVER.

I love organic bananas! I find them so much sweeter than the regular ones. My other favourite organic fruit is strawberries. They taste and smell so deliciously strawberryish - just the way nature intended

mango woman

I'm waiting for my grocer to get organic grapes. i rarely eat normal grapes because they seem like little pkgs of pesticides.. i just have an overactive imagination.

Quote sk8erboi
    I think organic fruits & foods can also be grown in fields with cow manure as fertilizer -- yuk! -- so we're forced to make some compromises -- until someone starts a Vegan certification program for this stuff.
    Someone has! (in the UK anyway): http://www.veganorganic.net/index.ph...d=56&Itemid=71

Unless these, or similar, are adopted widely - mainstream organic can't seriously be described as vegan. And conventional, chemical-based agriculture is an environmental crime.

And both often rely on ludicrous transport arrangements which undermine any purported ecological benefits anyway. Which are better (by any measure): organic apples air-freighted from, say, New Zealand to the UK, or non-organic apples grown in the UK? The former poison the planet, the latter poison you. What's the difference?
    We are saved in the end by the things that ignore us. Andrew Harvey

have you guys seen safeways organic line? its mostly packaged stuff but it makes the part of my mind that thrives on conspiracy theorys act up. has the fda lowered there standards? are we being led to think were actually buying organic but they mean somthing else. i dont trust it. or should i?

also, i asked a friend why she ate organic and she said, very matter of factly, "because im worth it"
    thats a pretty damn good excuse.
    The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them: that's the essense of inhumanity. George Bernard Shaw

Quote zena
    also, i asked a friend why she ate organic and she said, very matter of factly, "because im worth it"
    Hehe - does your friend look like Heather Locklear? You know how she says "Because I'm worth it" in those Loreal ads on TV.

Up here in Canada, I have only seen organic frozen corn at Safeway.

princessemma

I just can't afford to. I can just afford to budget as it is. When I am better off financially perhaps but until then some of us just have to take our chances with the pesticides.

I had this conversation recently with someone who considered organic foods to be too expensive. When it comes to fresh fruit, vegetables and whole grains the difference in price is equivalent once you consider that organic foods don't just have less pesticides - they also have more vitamins and minerals since the soil they are grown in is alive vs. dead and depleted. It's not just about pesticides.

If you are buying organic junk or processed foods then it doesn't make much sense to purchase organic. Why use organic refined flour? All the minerals/vitamins are stripped from it and then synthetic supplements are added.

Organic has become such a catch-all marketing term that it's meaning has come to be different things to different people (and companies). Here in the U.S. there is a strong movement away from the corporate "organic" and towards small, sustainable and local farms. Add to that the idea of whole foods eaten in season and prepared at home - and eating "organic" becomes attainable on any budget. But it does take thought and time (until it becomes routine).

Corporate-owned, conventional, processed and "convenient" foods give you much less than what you pay for. They are lacking in vitamins, minerals, enzymes and other food components we haven't even "discovered" as yet.

In my opinion, eating conventional produce while taking vitamin/mineral supplements isn't what nature intended. And it will cost you your health in the long run while making profits for someone else today.

princessemma

If I bought organic I probably would have to reduce our current fruit and veg consumption by half to afford it. My husband is going for a better job so hopefully soon I'll be able to afford organic but for some people just being able to afford fruit and veg at all is a struggle. Untill organic is more readlily available it remain something for the 'haves' as opposed to the 'have nots'

FR

I am totally a "have not". I still find a way to buy organic. I don’t buy as many clothing items as I would like as a result, but it is worth it to me. Although price wise, it is only slightly more, and sometimes evenly priced as the conventional stuff here (at certain stores).

Quote princessemma
    If I bought organic I probably would have to reduce our current fruit and veg consumption by half to afford it. My husband is going for a better job so hopefully soon I'll be able to afford organic but for some people just being able to afford fruit and veg at all is a struggle. Untill organic is more readlily available it remain something for the 'haves' as opposed to the 'have nots'
    i hear you...take me, for example. last summer i lived off basically no money, so i never had any fresh veggies or fruit. i ate the cheapest stuff i could find, ie, dry lentils, beans n chickpeas, and rice, all of which i had stocked up on during the winter.
    eh, and that's why this is the first time i've been to the organic thread
    Anyway, same thing happening right now..my MONEY's late in getting to me..as usual
    Piggy

I am saddened to hear that anyone truly cannot afford organic produce. I hope this becomes less common in the near future. Here in the U.S. purchasing organic is the ONLY way to insure that we are not consuming the GMO's that were introduced into our food supply starting in 1996 (despite public desire to have them labeled).

When I was younger (but also less informed) I would have had a difficult time seeing the value or affordability of organic products. At this point in my life I would definitely give up some unnecessary items to eat organic - but that's easy to say considering that I am not faced with the choice.

For those of us who can afford it, I hope we will all continue to support local and organic farmers so that the price and availability of produce will benefit everyone.

I have read that these days, farmers need three times as many chemicals than they did 40 years ago, to kill of the same insects that were "pests" then. This is because the insects are evolving to become increasingly immune to these pesticides. Each year, 3 million tons of farm chemicals are applied to the surface of our earth. That's a lot!!!

Also the chemicals that are used in conventional farming methods, just don't go onto the plants and the ground. They evaporate, and come back to earth in the rain and snowflakes. The wind carries them into our living spaces, green belts, parks, forrests and even organic farms They are absorbed into the ground and become part of our groundwater and of course, they run off, and end up in our lakes, rivers and oceans.

And here's a big one: farm chemicals kill off as many as 67 million American birds each year

Thank you to Jane Goodall for this information. I am currently reading her book "Harvest for Hope".

These reasons alone are enough to make me want to eat organic as much as I can.

I just read a review on her book, Roxy. Let me know if it's worth reading. Another book (from the 1990's) entitled "Empty Harvest" also has some great information about what conventional farming has done to the health of the environment and the soil.

So far it's a great book, Diane. She tells things in a very factual manner, not in a preaching way, if you know what I mean. What I also love, is that she also has many interesting stories to tell from her own experiences in her own life.

I'll give you a better review when I've finished it, though.

I'd say we probably count as "have nots" as my partner is currently off work due to illness (has been for nearly two years now ). My work is self-employed and pretty sporadic (I'm a doula) We're on a number of benefits which means we *really* have to be careful. We get a weekly organic delivery box of fresh, local fruit and veg and buy almost everything else we eat organic. However, we don't eat out often, or buy new clothes EVER (although this is as much because we want to avoid sweatshop/unethical practises in clothing manufacture/distribution as anything else). Organic is more expensive absolutely, but I find that as we don't have to buy expensive things like MEAT (grrrrrr), we're able to budget pretty well. We also don't buy any convenience food as I find this is incredibly expensive too, not to mention icky Making sacrifices in other areas of our lives (like only using the minimum number of cosmetics, making homemade cleaning products etc) is worth it to buy organic produce, its healthier, AND better for the environment. Everybody wins "Organic" does seem to have a bit of "luxury" "faddish" following, and I know my parents for one, do wonder how we afford to buy organic. This really pisses me off, but in the long run, organic the only sustainable option.
    Hannah

Anyone complaining about not being able to purchase organic goods, just consider this: if you can afford just one apple, you are essentially purchasing an entire tree. All you need do is plant the seeds of the fruit and you've got plenty of fruit (in a few years, of course) to sustain you! However, if you don't have a yard large enough to plant an entire apple tree, you can make smaller "victory gardens" in your window sills with strawberries or beans or other smaller fruits and vegetables.

I would definitely be a have-not. I don't work due to illness and my husband waits tables for $2.13/hr+tips. We just make sacrifices in other places. We never go out to eat and only buy new clothes when they are absolutely needed (and even then it's from the thrift shop). I make all of my own cleaners so all I have to buy to cleaning my entire house is a bottle of vinegar, a bottle of peroxide and a box of baking soda (less than $5.00 will carry you for quite a while). For entertainment we go to the local second-run theater which is $1.00 per person and $.50 on Tuesdays. We keep our electric/gas bill as low as possible by wearing sweats and using warm blankets in the winter and using fans in the summer. It takes a bit of working but we always eat good, whole organic foods. We also very rarely buy pre-packaged vegan foods (like soy products) as they are very expensive.

Ravenfire, you pretty much just described my upbringing. We were broke but my mother prioritized in a way that made us aware of how important food is yet unaware of how financially strapped we were. You are an inspiration to those on a limited budget.

Quote DianeVegan
    Ravenfire, you pretty much just described my upbringing. We were broke but my mother prioritized in a way that made us aware of how important food is yet unaware of how financially strapped we were. You are an inspiration to those on a limited budget.
    Aww, thank you. You made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside .

Quote zena
    have you guys seen safeways organic line? its mostly packaged stuff but it makes the part of my mind that thrives on conspiracy theorys act up. has the fda lowered there standards? are we being led to think were actually buying organic but they mean somthing else. i dont trust it. or should i?

I've tried safeway's organic line which has been encouraged by dollar off coupons and promotional sales. I really like the juice they have; grape is my current favorite. I sometimes buy their frozen spinach and drizzle some oil on it. For the most part though, I buy organic at specialty stores.

...and here's another one, from http://www.nutritionadvocate.com/story/newsbrief3.html

French researchers observed in a recent study, that fresh, organic tomatoes had higher vitamin C, carotenoids, and polyphenol contents (except for chlorogenic acid) than conventional tomatoes.

Organic tomato purees were also found to have higher concentrations of vitamin C and polyphenols.

The Nutritionist says

If you are having problems paying the extra for organic the most important are the wee things.

EG rice and grains and seeds as she says there is a greater ratio of outside to inside on say a rice grain compared with say a mango.

There is a risk she just made that up though.

I did hear that root vegetables are prone to sucking stuff out of the ground so if there are lots of chemicals in there they'll sook them all up like an oil filter on a car.

I'm not even going to tell you about the brocolli.

Default Top Produce to buy Organic

http://www.deliciousorganics.com/Con...optobuyorg.htm

Top Produce to Buy Organic

Latest list of foods highly contaminated with pesticides.
    Therefore this is a list of the produce we should ALWAYS buy organic or skip altogether.

FRUIT VEGETABLES
    • Strawberries - the most pesticide laden food of all and so scrumptious and not easy to wash because they are small and sweet, like Raspberries, so choose organic to be safe and keep your family safe
    • Raspberries
    • Apples
    • Grapes(& therefore
    • Raisins and
    • Juice! - many kinds of juices have Grape Juice in them)
    • Peaches
    • Nectarines
    • Apricots
    • Pears
    • Cherries
    • Lemons- especially if zesting, should definitely use organic
    • Limes
    • Bananas - heavy chemicals for the trip to America including Thiabendazole which Damages the Brain and Nervous System. Especially troubling since this is the first food we can feed our babies!
    • Kiwis
    • Pineapple depending from where
    • Cantaloupe from Mexico
    • Tomatoes - yes, they're a fruit

Also important to buy organic:

*edited to remove animal foods*
    it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble

Default Re: Top Produce to buy Organic

I can't get over half of those things in organic around here.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Limey

I like to buy my apples in a bag and I get a whole bunch for only $3.99 or something. If I buy them organic, they are usually $3-something per pound! Boo.

They say apples and carrots are the worst for pesticides. And cotton.

Potatoes are pretty bad too. A ton of pesticides and chemical fertilizers are used.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Limey

One of my grandmother's friends grew up on a farm where pesticides were used and she's sick now. Has black gunk coming out of her eyes when they water and out of her nose when it gets runny and stuff. She's got plenty of other issues, as well, but those are the ones that stick out to me because it grosses me out.

Wow Limey, is that the reason?

Limey

Yeah. Well, she was clearly exposed to pesticides a ridiculous amount more than the average person. Poor thing. She's had a hard life and is such a sweet, hardworking woman.

how funny (not really)- i just read in my local paper the other day that bananas are somewhat safe to eat when not gown organic.. i hate the macomb daily!!

thanks for the info

Soul Rebel

Default organic vs non-organic

One of my wife's friends is tying to convience her husband to buy organic products instead of the non-organic stuff they buy now. They aren't vegetarian. Does anyone have any good info on the benefits of organic produce for example over "regular" produce that I could give her. I know in either the The Food Revolution or Diet for a new america Robbins gave percentages of how much more nutrients were in organic foods, but I can't find the chart.