Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Yorkshire pudding

Default Re: Yorkshire pudding

I had a bash at yorkshire puddings tonight

I used:

3oz S/R Flour
    1 oz Gram Flour (mainly to add a golden tinge to the batter)
    salt and pepper to taste
    250ml soya milk
    15ml Apple Cider Vinegar
    50 ml water

sift flours together. Add Salt and Pepper. Mix.
    Add cider vinegar to soya milk and let stand for 5 minutes.
    Beat soya milk mixture into flour, add water and WHISK WELL to get a nice smooth mixture.
    Pour mixture into pre-heated oiled muffin pans. (I used sunflower oil). Bake at Gas Mark 8 until golden and crispy - about 15 minutes I would say.

As you can see from the pics they didn't rise too much (but they did rise - you can see the beginnings of a hollowed middle!) -although they did probably double in size from the original volume of batter. The yorkshire pudding itself was crispy, lightish in texture and nice and fluffy in the middle. I may try again and add some extra baking powder to see if I can get them to rise well.

Inside shot, blurry but you kind of get the gist!
    Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
    Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.

Poison Ivy your marco photography is fooling no one. You have baked Ice Hockey Pucks, Don't feel despondent, because its the dilusion that counts when it comes to vegan yorkshires.

Joking aside they look not half bad...well done

Sorry it's a double bluff, there hockey pucks and you know it.

Quote henryfoole View Post
    Sorry it's a double bluff, there hockey pucks and you know it.
    Yeah, hockey pucks they are...but they tasted nice so I'm not too bothered!

RubyDuby

this thread is making me crack up!
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

Made some today, they rose fine and were very nice.

Can't give an exact recipe but it was something like this;

4oz self raising flour
    2 tsp noegg
    pinch salt
    250ml soy milk
    1 tsp baking soda
    50-100ml sparkling water (I'm sure normal waters fine but it was close to hand)
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Y'know, I was actually wondering just lastweek whether there was a way of making vegan yorkies...Now it appears there is! Must try..

Risker, I've actually heard the tv chefs saying that sparkling water is better for batter (try saying that after a few pints) when making tempura etc,so I'm guessing it was probably the right choice for ya puds too?

Mmm, puds n gravy...
    ~ United we stand..Divided we fall ~

Quote lakini View Post
    Y'know, I was actually wondering just lastweek whether there was a way of making vegan yorkies...Now it appears there is! Must try..

Risker, I've actually heard the tv chefs saying that sparkling water is better for batter (try saying that after a few pints) when making tempura etc,so I'm guessing it was probably the right choice for ya puds too?

Mmm, puds n gravy...
    just make sure you don't use tonic water because you'll get a bitter, not better batter. And make sure it's vegan! You don't want bitter/better butter batter.

sorry.

Quote lakini View Post
    Well, that was the idea but I realised that considering the thick consistency and the fact that it had to be mixed in I very much doubt it had any affect. Baking soda does help however as I made half with and half without and the ones with rose better.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Little tip: Try using grape seed oil instead of sunflower oil.

My Mum helped me make yorkshire puddings the other day with soya milk and egg replacer. We think we used too much flour and not enough liquid (due to me reading the instructions wrong on the egg replacer!). They didn't rise and were as flat as pancakes. However, they tasted exactly like yorkshire puddings!! So I enjoyed them anyway. I'll try again next time I go to my Mum's for Sunday lunch and see if I can get them to rise this time!

Any one had any luck lately with yorkshire pudding? I am craving toad in the whole but still can't get my puddings to rise!

I think i'll give this a bas at the weekend using risker's method.

Let me know how you get on. I think its my cooking skills that are at fault, rather than my batter

Zero

I made yorkshire puddings tonight.

I used a very simple recipe that worked quite well:

8 ounces self raising flour
    1/2 Pint Unsweetened Soy Milk
    1/2 Pint Plain Soy Yogurt
    1 tbs lemon juice
    Pinch of salt

Mix it all together (to slightly runnier than pancake batter, add extra soy milk if needed) and pour into your tins.

They didn't come out looking exactly the way I remember them but they seem to taste similar, but slightly lighter and fluffier, I think this is due to traditional Yorkshire puddings being made using animal fats and eggs which are much heavier.

So in my second batch I added a small piece of Pure spread in the center of each one before putting them in the oven and I got something that I think is little closer to the original article, the outsides were crispier and they certainly seemed heavier and more like the kind I remember eating in the past. Photo's below.

Batch 1

Batch 2

With Fry's strips, peas and gravy

I've been trying to make yorkshire puds lately but no matter what I do, they will not rise

Zero

Mine don't rise huge amounts, but they rise enough to be considered a success. Try my recipe and add a little pure or vegetable oil like I did in my second batch. Don't over mix your ingredients and get it to slightly runnier than pancake batter.

Those second lot look pretty good Zero. Do they taste yoghurty!?

My mum offered us some Yorkshire pudding recently...what she gave us resembled yorkshire pudding in very few ways! More like a sort of chewy, overcooked, flat, frozen-and-then-defrosted-and-cooked again pancake. I appreciate her trying though

Zero

Oh dear, it is nice when others make the effort though I agree.

They didn't taste yogurty at all They do have a slightly different taste to the omni version (as you would expect) but in the main the taste pretty much how I remember them (although I confess it's been years!).

Regardless they were very edible

Cool. Might have to get some yoghurt...

BlackCats

The second batch look very yummy Zero.

Looking good

You've tried some with yoghurt in that I made a couple of years ago cherry. The taste doesn't come through, but my attempt really didn't rise enough.

I think we may be having the same problem as choix
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Oh cool. I really liked those. Well...they tasted right...

Hockey Pucks!!!

I must give some of these a go... being a Yorkshireman and all
    Born to Lose - Live to Win!

Quote Zero View Post
    mmmmm that photo's making me very hungry indeed!
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Eureka! I've cracked it!

I thought, momentarily.

But I was wrong, it was a complete disaster.

The batter floated on top of the oil and didn't really cook at all well. I'd added some tumeric to make them less anemic looking, but obviously too much as they went bright yellow.

The rest of the meal was quite pleasant.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

what a teaser!
    even perfect isn't perfect - Rubyduby 4th July 08

I had an idea for yorkies tonight and tried it - this is the very tasty result!

Vava you absolutely cannot post a picture like that without saying how you did it!!

really tasty! - omni husband said oh tastier than normal yorkies - would be nice with jam - even omni stepson said they were nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Recipe

1 cup all purpose flour

0.5 cup nutritional yeast flakes

0.5 cup fine cornmeal (the yellow coloured stuff not cornflour)

.25 tsp Xantham gum whisked with

.50 cup hot water

1 tsp salt

2 tsp of baking powder

2 cups soya milk

Mix dry stuff together then add wet stuff and put in preheated oiled muffin cases. oven 160 about 20 mins.

Only 1 prob - I think it may be the gum but they stick pretty well to the bottom of the tins taste great tho

Default Re: Yorkshire Pudding

I've tried these and quite a few other recipes and I can't get them to work. The Yorkshires are hard on the outside and don't cook on the inside. What am I doing wrong?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    Eureka! I've cracked it!

I thought, momentarily.

But I was wrong, it was a complete disaster.

The batter floated on top of the oil and didn't really cook at all well. I'd added some tumeric to make them less anemic looking, but obviously too much as they went bright yellow.

The rest of the meal was quite pleasant.
    Don't feel bad, I haven't been able to crack it either. They come out hard on the outside and uncooked on the inside!

I am actually wondering now if with The Vegg existing if vegan Yorkshire Puddings might work better now?? Anyone with a packet of Vegg want to try it out??

Quote Poison Ivy View Post
    I am actually wondering now if with The Vegg existing if vegan Yorkshire Puddings might work better now?? Anyone with a packet of Vegg want to try it out??
    I found a recipe using the Vegg but they still didn't turn out right

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Poison Ivy View Post
    I had a bash at yorkshire puddings tonight

I used:

3oz S/R Flour
    1 oz Gram Flour (mainly to add a golden tinge to the batter)
    salt and pepper to taste
    250ml soya milk
    15ml Apple Cider Vinegar
    50 ml water

sift flours together. Add Salt and Pepper. Mix.
    Add cider vinegar to soya milk and let stand for 5 minutes.
    Beat soya milk mixture into flour, add water and WHISK WELL to get a nice smooth mixture.
    Pour mixture into pre-heated oiled muffin pans. (I used sunflower oil). Bake at Gas Mark 8 until golden and crispy - about 15 minutes I would say.

As you can see from the pics they didn't rise too much (but they did rise - you can see the beginnings of a hollowed middle!) -although they did probably double in size from the original volume of batter. The yorkshire pudding itself was crispy, lightish in texture and nice and fluffy in the middle. I may try again and add some extra baking powder to see if I can get them to rise well.

Inside shot, blurry but you kind of get the gist!
    These look good! I will hAve to try your recipe!

I tried putting Vegg in a recipe for Toad in the hole and it didn't make much difference, but I wonder if it makes a difference if you mix dry Vegg into the flour, or made up Vegg into the batter? I can't remember which I did now

I use a similar recipe to Zero above - but make sure to put oil in the baking tray and heat it up REALLY REALLY hot before putting mixture in. If it's really hot, so it mixture sizzles when poured in get some rising on outside and soft fluffy in middle.Took me a long time to get them to 'look' like Yorkshire puds but they taste nice and none yoghurt-y regardless!Oh and don't use olive oil as it's heat proof!

I am not skilled enough to cook suck things, but can see that Ms Maplespice has a version - I tend to trust her recipes / taste

Thought it worth a mention / another option to above recipes.
    Let the music mend our minds. Let the music bend our minds.

Not currently a vegan

Hi! I made some vegan Yorkshire puddings for a vegan pot luck a few months back and they turned out great. Rose well and had that crispy on the outside texture you want from your puds.

I've tried a lot of different ways including the cider vinegar method mentioned upthread. However this one worked really well. To my mind the cider vinegar method doesn't give quite the right texture (the puds turn out a bit 'cakey').

Now I'm a bit hazy on the quantities for this, since I'm a 'by-eye' cook. Anyway let's give it a go.

1 cup plain flour
    about a 2.5 inch cube of tofu
    BEtween 2-3 cups of soya milk
    Good pinch of salt.

If you've made Yorkshire puddings before (non-vegan) this recipe is very similar. All you're doing is substituting egg with tofu. You'll need a stick blender.

First, HEAT THE OVEN. The oil in the pan needs to be REALLY hot. The best oil to use is groundnut oil since it can get really hot without burning. You want the oven at about 210C.

Sieve flour into bowl & add salt. Blend in the tofu with the stick blender. You'll get a bread-crumb like texture, not something doughy. Don't worry about that at this stage just mix it as best you can. Then add the milk. Keep adding as you blend with the blender. You want an end result that pours really easily (think about the texture of single cream). The consistency of the blend is really important. If your batter is too thick it won't rise properly.

IMPORTANTLY - leave your batter to SIT for half an hour or so. I don't know why this is important but it is. You do this for non-vegan Yorkshires too, it seems to make them rise much better.

Then! Pour your batter into the tin. The oil should sizzle when the batter hits it. If it doesn't then the oil's not hot enough. Again this is important. If the oil's not hot your puds won't rise.

Hope some of you get on well with this recipe. My puds always turn out well this way, and I am a born & bred Yorkshirewoman. I missed my puds a lot and experimented a lot with different vegan methods before I came up with this one. It got a lot of positive comments at the vegan potluck! Good luck x

Quote MyLovelyHorse View Post
    Hi! I made some vegan Yorkshire puddings for a vegan pot luck a few months back and they turned out great. Rose well and had that crispy on the outside texture you want from your puds.

I've tried a lot of different ways including the cider vinegar method mentioned upthread. However this one worked really well. To my mind the cider vinegar method doesn't give quite the right texture (the puds turn out a bit 'cakey').

Now I'm a bit hazy on the quantities for this, since I'm a 'by-eye' cook. Anyway let's give it a go.

1 cup plain flour
    about a 2.5 inch cube of tofu
    BEtween 2-3 cups of soya milk
    Good pinch of salt.

If you've made Yorkshire puddings before (non-vegan) this recipe is very similar. All you're doing is substituting egg with tofu. You'll need a stick blender.

First, HEAT THE OVEN. The oil in the pan needs to be REALLY hot. The best oil to use is groundnut oil since it can get really hot without burning. You want the oven at about 210C.

Sieve flour into bowl & add salt. Blend in the tofu with the stick blender. You'll get a bread-crumb like texture, not something doughy. Don't worry about that at this stage just mix it as best you can. Then add the milk. Keep adding as you blend with the blender. You want an end result that pours really easily (think about the texture of single cream). The consistency of the blend is really important. If your batter is too thick it won't rise properly.

IMPORTANTLY - leave your batter to SIT for half an hour or so. I don't know why this is important but it is. You do this for non-vegan Yorkshires too, it seems to make them rise much better.

Then! Pour your batter into the tin. The oil should sizzle when the batter hits it. If it doesn't then the oil's not hot enough. Again this is important. If the oil's not hot your puds won't rise.

Hope some of you get on well with this recipe. My puds always turn out well this way, and I am a born & bred Yorkshirewoman. I missed my puds a lot and experimented a lot with different vegan methods before I came up with this one. It got a lot of positive comments at the vegan potluck! Good luck x
    I have tried several recipes for vegan y. puds, think I might try yours tomorrow as part of my xmas lunch/dinner, will let you know if they come out nice!

^I used the recipe above today- they came out great!! Thanks! These are the best vegan Y.puds I think I've ever tasted and my bf thinks so too! It didn't say how long to cook them for, I think I cooked them for around 35-40 minutes. They didn't rise all that much despite making sure the oil was v.v.hot, I think I may try adding a small bit of baking powder next time.
    http://veganchefsteph.blogspot.co.uk/ http://yo-yo-itfinallyhappened.blogspot.co.uk/
    vegan love to all! *^-^*