Thread: Rice Dream Ice Cream

Default Rice Dream Ice Cream

When I was in the US, I saw rice dream ice cream. I was curous to taste it, but I never got the chance, and ever since I have been back, I have regretted not trying it. I am returning to the US next year, so someone with experience must tell me what it is like, to put me out of my misery for the next year

Default Re: Rice Dream Ice Cream

I think it's gross, Banana I much prefer some of the good soy ice-creams that are available or non-dairy gelati.

The best vegan ice cream I've ever had is Tempation from the Chicago Soy Dairy. But if you're not in the midwest, you're probably out of luck.

To answer your question, I am not a fan of rice dream. Of the "national" vegan brands I'd probably have to go with Tofutti.

Kevster

Hmmm, don't think rice dream ice-cream has made it over here as yet...

I don't like any tofutti, except the cuties. Rice cream is definatly really good, in my opinion. The plain vanilla may have a bit of an aftertaste (I think the tofutti aftertaste is horrible), but if you get a good flavor, it's delicious.

Not to brag or anything but I live above a gelateria here in Italy that sells five flavours of soya ice-cream . I'd send you all some if I could

Hi Fiamma!

Do you know of any gelaterias in Rome or Venice that have soya? We will be visiting next month. Also, do you know of any vegan places to eat in Rome or Venice? I have found some listings in Rome but have had very little luck in Venice.

Thanks!
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

Default Vegan Italian food

Hi Diane!
    Italy never fails to surprise me - despite what some might see as a very "carnivorous" country (just look at the traditional Christmas food, at least here in Emilia Romagna - stuffed pig's trotter.... bleurghhhh!! ), it is very sensitive to dietary intolerances and has a huge range of soya-based, sugar free, gluten free etc foods. Much more than in Britain where I come from. Soya ice-cream is becoming VERY common - I think for soya ice-cream the best idea is to ask ("gelato di soia"). When you say vegan food, do you want to avoid places that cook meat? Most (if not all!) pizzerias and restaurants will offer spaghetti with tomato sauce - no animal products there - although I realise you will get bored pretty quickly if that's all you eat There's also a pizza called "marinara", which despite its name has no fish, only tomato and oregano. And they will leave the cheese (or other ingredients) off any pizza you choose. For purely vegan places, I will do a bit of research for you if you want. Please feel free to ask me anything else you want, and I hope you'll stop in for coffee if you're in the area Buon viaggio!

Default Vegan restaurants

Here is a link to vegan restaurants in Italy - it's in Italian, but might be of some use. Click on the green "guida" link, then on "ristoranti/bar"

http://www.viverevegan.org/

The page advises watching out for lard ("strutto") - - in pizza bases.

Default Vegan restaurants

I'm looking on the Internet but am having very little luck. Take heart though - lots of Italian dishes are vegan by definition! Thick soups made with spelt and legumes, spaghetti as already mentioned (fresh pasta tends to contain egg, make sure it's "pasta asciutta" - the type that we buy dried and that only contains flour and water), spaghetti with olive oil, garlic and chlli, pizza (without the lard - blee!!!), vegetable side dishes. there are lots of risottos too but I imagine they contain butter. Salads are easy to find, fruit salads for dessert. My mouth is watering I guess my advice would be to ask before you sit down and order. Good luck, and happy travelling!

Dear Fiamma

Boast all you like you lucky thing

I'm dreaming about you eating gelato

Antony

I'd swap fifty-nine flavours of soya ice-cream for your beautiful Aussie climate, that energy and quality of light that I've never seen anywhere else in the world and your beautiful people! *sigh* I'll be back one day

Quote fiamma
    I'd swap fifty-nine flavours of soya ice-cream for your beautiful Aussie climate, that energy and quality of light that I've never seen anywhere else in the world and your beautiful people! *sigh* I'll be back one day
    Ok can you pack it up in a freezer box?

Yeah the summer is on it's way, this morning at 7:30am the sun was glowing in a giant clear blue sky and the breeze was all warm

Antony

Quote abrennan
    Ok can you pack it up in a freezer box?
    Only if I can come as part of the package and you pay the postage

Thanks for all the information, Fiamma!
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

Quote fiamma
    Not to brag or anything but I live above a gelateria here in Italy that sells five flavours of soya ice-cream . I'd send you all some if I could
    Can i visit you?
    My turn of mind is so given to taking things in the absurd point of view that it breaks out in spite of me every now and then.

- Byron

Quote catmogg
    Can i visit you?
    My door is always open... metaphorically speaking of course

FR

I have to agree that Temptation is the best ever! I also like the Soy Delicious brand (they have to have at least 20 flavors). As far as Rice Dream, I haven't tried their actual ice cream but I have had their chocolate covered ice cream sticks with peanuts and they rocked!

I have tried a few Rice Dream flavors. I have to agree that Temptation is better as is Tofutti. Rice Dream leaves an after taste.

My fave ice-cream is Swedish Glace! It's amazing- although I've only tasted vanilla. It was such a relief to find!

I have only found one place in Vancouver that makes soy gelato. It is in the touristy beach-side suburb of White Rock. Last time I had a soy gelato from there, I had the cappacino flavour. mmmmmmm.

At any other gelato places, I double check with them before I purchase, but most of the fruit flavours are vegan.