Thread: Festivals

Default festivals

which ones will you be attending this year?
    any recommendations?

i will be going to the vegan fayre (ok, not really a festival.. as such..) and ladyfest in bristol and maybe brighton too. i was thinking of going to WOMAD- i have heard it is pretty cool in terms of atmosphere and lots of things to do.

i didn't get tickets for glastonbury. in fact i didn't even try. i mean- if someone gave me a ticket of cours i would go.. but i wasn't too bothered.. i don't think it is as good these days anyway.. i even heard rumours that they would have a McDonalds stall in the future (?!?) and if carling are buying it it is sure to get a lot more corporate.

i would also recommend the TDK festival in london. it is a dancey(but not in a chav way..)/electornica/new wave kinda festival, and it was very good when i went.. good atmosphere and lots of different stages means it is more intimate and you don't get the horrible arena style crushings and huge spaces between the barrier and the stage- the kind of thing that puts me off the mainstream festivals like reading etc where the soul is lost.. reading has been great when i have gone to the smaller stages or the radio1/xfm tent (i think it changes) but the mian stage- blah

there is also a new age 'healing weekend' not so far from where i live, close to glastonbury.. which is nice..
    please could you stop the noise? i'm trying to get some rest from all the unborn chicken voices in my head.

Default Re: festivals

I have my summer sorted:-

July I will be in camping in Mawgan Porth because its a dam fine beach and very close to this place http://www.watergatebay.co.uk/

After that I hope to do spot of rock n chop at http://www.bulldogbash.co.uk/
    Metal, Bikes, Rock, more Metel old pissed bikers and other things

And to end it all I have secured a ticket for Reading Festival 2005

Around that their are few Vegan & Animal rights oriantated things I will try and get to on a as and when if possible basis.

I just hope the darn sun starts shining soon
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams

Stu

Having been to all of the big ones many times, I only go to Glastonbury now. The others are worth a laugh, but the difference is so indescribably massive, they barely seem worth bothering with.

Can anyone tell me if 'indescribably' is actually a real word, or did I just invent it?

describeable is a word, so im pretty sure indescribably is a word. LOL.
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

I think a pixee fest will be invented this year, my back garden,for 2 weeks of rawk, lahhger, vegburgers, penguins and sticks. we will climb trees, sing to the birds and do cartwheels until it gets dark and we construct a human tent by climbing on top of each other.
    you all may come, but I warn you the tickets are expensive.......
    www.myspace.com/natureworks1

Stu

Can I get in for free if I provide the penguins?

Quote pixeequeen
    I think a pixee fest will be invented this year, my back garden,for 2 weeks of rawk, lahhger, vegburgers, penguins and sticks. we will climb trees, sing to the birds and do cartwheels until it gets dark and we construct a human tent by climbing on top of each other.
    you all may come, but I warn you the tickets are expensive.......
    it's tempting, if a little too energetic
    please could you stop the noise? i'm trying to get some rest from all the unborn chicken voices in my head.

About tickets... How much do they usually cost? I'm going to the USA this summer and might be able to squeeze in a visit to something like this (if there will be anything in my area )

thanks in advance (now you HAVE to reply!)
    People once thought my mother is a nut, but I once thought a nut was my mother! :D

Stu

The big festivals in the UK cost about £125 or so for a ticket. But when you add to that your travel costs, tent, food, booze etc, it can be a bloody expensive weekend.

I would imagine prices are vaguely similar in other places.

yes, but don't forget that you can buy day tickets to most of them, at about 40 pounds.. i think.. depends which festival doesn't it. i have never gone for the whole festival.. i don't think sleep exists at a festival unless it is drug/drinks induced and i think it gets to the point where the only people with any energy are the people on drugs..

i normally just look at the lineup and pick the best day

Default Festival - Wish Me Luck!

Well, tomorrow is the start of the Download music Festival. I have been to festivals before, prior to becoming vegan, but this time I am staying in a tent for three nights. So its a double whammy experience! I have packed enough food (hopefully) to keep me nourished enough to last, but if it stays this sunny it may get hard. I had read on the forum that there is a tofu-burger stand, I will have to hope that holds true!!

Wish me luck!

Stu

Default Re: Festival - Wish Me Luck!

I've found one of those vegan wholefood bar thingies at just about every major festival I've ever been to. I would imagine those people are at Download.

Thats pretty cool, I didn't see one last year, but then, I wasn't really looking because I was eating meat Cheers man I will be on the lookout!

Yeah every festival I've been to has had loads of veggie food knocking about, you'll be as safe as houses chief
    I bet Yoda was a vegan

Well, I'm back and absolutely shattered. You guys were right, this one stall sold the most wonderful falafal and other veg dishes and there was always chips and veggie burgers to fall back on. I had a great time and at least I know now that there is always plenty to eat!

Stu

Glad you enjoyed it mate! Glasto for me next week... (just to rub it in!)

I went to download!
    system f***ing rocked!!! I screamed till my voice gave out.

And the vegan food was goooorgeous, I pigged out
    I wish I was back there.........

I couldnt afford to go Download this year, so spent the weekend grinding me teeth with jealousy. Im really glad you guys had fun, I hope it was enough fun for me too! System do rock live dont they Lilith! Did ya see Billy idol? I also really wanted to see Lacuna Coil, never seen them. One day...
    www.myspace.com/natureworks1

System were amazing! Saw a little of Lacuna Coil too

Default Re: Festivals

biggest free festival in europe if anyone is interested this weekend.

rhythms of the world incorporates - well - music from all over the world.

there is a mainstage and lots of other other local venues putting on stuff. hitchin is a great town with a very diverse population and culture. well worth a visit if you are looking for something to do...

Default Re: Festivals

Californians might be interested in this one:

SOLFEST

It's more than the ultimate in Green Technology. It's off-the-grid fun! You've shopped. You've discovered some great new technologies to make your life greener. You've feasted on delicious organic food. Now it's time to relax in the shade with a frosty microbrewed beer and listen to some smokin' live music, or just kick back and enjoy the wonders of our 12-acre, solar-powered permaculture oasis.
    Green Marketplace
    Inspiring Workshops
    Progressive Speakers
    Live Music and Dance
    Delicious Healthy Food
    Organic Beer and Wine
    Fun Kids' Activities
    Solar Merry-go-round.

AUGUST 20 & 21 - HOPLAND, CALIFORNIA.

(Waaaahhhhh I wanna go!)