Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ice Cream Recipes

Default Ice Cream Recipes

Does anyone have any really good vegan ice cream recipes? We just got an ice cream machine/freezer. I've found a few recipes that I'm gonna try out, but if anyone has any recommendations that would be awesome. On one website I found an avacado ice cream recipe that I'm going to try to "veganize". I think this may turn into my new summer hobby.

Default Re: Ice Cream Recipes

If you search online you will find many soy-based recipes. If you want a really good book using raw cashews as the base, try Vice Cream by Jeff Rogers. I usually replace the maple syrup with simple sugar syrup and I run the mix through a fine mesh strainer for a smoother texture. I think the results are far superior to soy-based recipes.

MAKING YOUR OWN ICECREAM!! seems such a simple idea now *droooooooooolll*
    www.myspace.com/natureworks1

Cool Homemade Vegan Ice Cream

I was at a bookstore today, thumbing through "Garden of Vegan", and found a very nifty looking chocolate ice cream recipe. Well, I didn't buy the book for the moment, but I was wondering if anyone here has a tried and true vegan ice cream recipe that they could share with me, chocolate or vanilla, preferably. My son's first birthday is this coming week and hubby reminded me about ICE CREAM *doh* how could I, the great lover of ice cream, forget such a critical element of one's birthday celebration !

TIA!

Blessed Be!
    H

Default Re: Homemade Vegan Ice Cream

Irisflame,
    We are big ice cream eaters in this house so I've tried many different recipes. Our favorite comes from a restaurant nearby. They never gave me a recipe, just the main ingredients so the following recipe is flexible.

Ice Cream Base
    2 cups of coconut milk (not light)
    1 cup of soy milk (or nut milk)
    Sweetener of your choice (dry is better)
    Vanilla bean seeds or extract

Blend the above and adjust sweetness to taste (remember that it will taste less sweet when frozen). For chocolate, add cocoa powder to taste. You may also want to add chocolate chips. The best way to chop them is to freeze them and then chop in a food processor. Or thinly slice and chop a chocolate bar. Freeze according to ice cream maker instructions.

Variations: Strawberry (use almond extract and ripe strawberries for best taste), Mint Chocolate Chip (use peppermint or spearmint extract and add chips after blending).

Sometimes I add lecithin granules (supposed to give it a richer taste) but it's not really necessary. You won't taste the coconut. A higher ratio of coconut milk gives it a richer taste and texture. A lower ratio allows more ice crystals to form so you lose texture. I have found that a 2:1 coconut milk to soy milk works best (so you could just use 1 can of coconut milk and 1/2 can of soy milk).

Enjoy!
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

Yum to the above.... If you want to cheat though, Sweedish glace is delicious and i have taken to adding my own chunks to the caramel one. I chop walnuts, chocolate up and kind of mash them in a bit, then i swirl in a toffee sauce from tesco, which is definately vegan and add spray 'cream' from vegan store. Ohh lummy. Its gooooooorgeous!! I keep wanting to make brownie chunks and add those to the mixture too....perhaps i'll go do that right now.............
    My turn of mind is so given to taking things in the absurd point of view that it breaks out in spite of me every now and then.

- Byron

You can make great ice cream by putting a large ripe banana, a box of soft tofu and 100g of melted vegan chocolate in a blender. (Then an ice cream maker )

The coconut one I'm definitely going to try. Thanks Diane.

I love Swedish glace too

Thank you both for the wonderful suggestions!

Diane, that recipe sounds delightful!!! I definately want to try it out! Unfortunately, my mother is allergice to coconut so I will have to come up with something else for the party. I do look forward to making that recipe, tho!!!!!! YUM!

Blessed Be!
    H

That sounds great, too, Cherry!

Blessed Be!
    H

Irisflame,

Sorry about the coconut allergy. My only other suggestion (because I really don't like soy ice creams) is adapted from the book "Vice Cream" by Jeff Rogers. He uses raw cashews as a base.

Ice Cream Base
    2 cups raw cashews
    2 cups water
    3/4 to 1 cup sweetener (wet or dry)
    2 vanilla beans or 2 teaspoons vanilla extract (or more)

First, grind the cashews very finely in a blender or food processor, then add water. I then strain this through a fine mesh strainer but it isn't necessary if you grind finely enough - I have found this difficult to do. Blend together sweetener and flavoring with cashew cream and put in ice cream maker.

For chocolate, use 1/2 to 2/3 cup cocoa powder and a little almond extract if desired.

Always test the taste before freezing. You may add more or less sweetener or flavorings. You can also add lecithin granules to the blender for a more rich taste and texture (about 1/4 cup).

Have fun!
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

Well, one can also use Corn Flour(for good texture) and Banana while making Vegan Ice cream.It is delicious.

Manish Jain

Thanks again!!

Blessed Be!
    H

Diane~

I just wanted to let you know that I tried the coconut milk based ice cream today with a friend of mine and it was AWESOME!!!!! We were so thrilled! Even our babies liked it LOL. We made it so that you could still taste the coconut, and it was so yummy! Thank you for sharing; it is definately a keeper!

Blessed Be and Happy Holidays!
    H

edupen

hmm...i think im gonna like this forum, i havent tried any of that ice cream..sounds yummy..oh by the way maybe u could try the link of recipes that tigerlily posted on the other thread..

How is about adding Coco Powder in any base? Coco Powder is Vegan.

Manish

Quote Let me view
    How is about adding Coco Powder in any base? Coco Powder is Vegan.
    Hi Manish
    Yeh but it's not as good as melted chocolate : ) I prefer the texture of the ice cream with real chocolate.

VeganJohn

I will certainly try some of these recipes, they sound great and not too complicated!!

I am puzzled by the 'dry sweetener' ingredient that is included in a few recipes - what would be suitable to use?

Cherry, your recipe sounds fairly simple, I'll try it first!

Swedish Glace with chopped bananas and maple syrup - one of my favourite desserts!

By dry sweetener I mean cane sugar, date sugar, fructose, raw sugar, sucanat, etc. Just as for liquid sweeteners you can exchange simple syrup, agave nectar, maple syrup or brown rice syrup for each other (depends on your preference).

Default DIY dairy products

Anyone tried making their own icecream? After weighing up a pint of expensive frozen-dessert and finding MOSTLY AIR, I figured I could do better quality for the money. Got a home unit (requires freezer space) and it paid for itself after 8 batches. Strawberry maple sorbet anyone? Avocado vanilla, chocalate truffle?
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

Re: grinding the cashews, and THEN adding liquid; try doing this the other way around. i usually soak raw cashews in scalding water and let them soak for an hour, half hour at least (note: i have soaked them in coffee, maybe tea would work as well). i am not raw, but use the raw cashew pieces (not whole cahews) as the roasted ones have a tougher outer layer. for raw, try room temp water for up to four hours. then blend, with sugar of choice, reducing by 25% if going the agave route. i also add two tablespoons cocnut oil and extract (of choice, usually vanilla). if you have a professional blender, you might want to try experimenting by using macadamias for half of the nuts. almonds leave much sediment, and filbers/hazelnuts do not grind down completley, but become too fine to strain (even through cheesecloth). churn and enjoy!

Resurrecting this thread as I hope to add to it shortly. I just got a self-freezing ice-cream maker from M&S for £77ish quid (which I thought was an absolute bargain as I've never seen an ice cream maker that you don't have to freeze some part of for half a day for under about £200 before!).

So far I've made three lots, the best one so far was last nights, where I started off making a very thick cocoa from about 4 tablespoons cocoa powder and about equal amounts sugar and soya milk, heating that up to smooth it all together, then whisking in more soya milk and 2 125g pots of vanilla dessert to thicken it, to a total mixture of just over 1 pint. Having read Bryanna Clark Grogan's gelati recipes in Nonna's Italian Kitchen she recommends alcohol to keep the ice-cream from hardening too much, so I added in 1 dessertspoon of ginger wine and 2 of whisky, which added just a subtle complex flavour to the finished ice cream.

We had it like a soft serve and I freezed the leftovers and had them for breakfast! It set relatively hard in the freezer but was still easy enough to eat with a spoon straight from the freezer. I think I would maybe add in a bit of oil if I made it again, apart from that I was pretty pleased with this, especially for a made up, spur of the moment recipe.

Looking forward to making stuff with the summer fruit to come, especially since I'm planning on having home-grown strawberries this year
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

I bought myself an ice cream maker for my birthday I also have the vice cream book but would be grateful for any simple recipes anyone has tried. Has anyone tried using the new alpro cream in ice cream?

http://www.everydaydish.tv/index.php...cipe&recipe=99

Bryanna Clarke Grogan is marvellous - this recipe is sweet but fabulous - I have added 1 tsp of vanilla and 2 bananas and it is droolsome - so is the vanilla and so simple. Lots of water and it seems as if it would be naff - BUT - it is really good.
    even perfect isn't perfect - Rubyduby 4th July 08

Quote Linxie View Post
    ... Has anyone tried using the new alpro cream in ice cream?
    Not yet, but I have one in the fridge that needs using soon, so I'll try to come up with something good for that.

I made a really good rhubarb sorbet from rhubarb stewed with a cup of tropical fruit juice and quite a bit of sugar then blitzed with a hand blender. I'm afraid I didn't keep note of quantities but I'll definitely be making it again, and will take notes next time! In fact, I feel a blog coming on...

At the moment there's a pineapple, banana, lime and rum ice-cream on the go!
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Nice to see you twinkle! A blog would be fab. I've got an ice cream maker but the type where you have to freeze the bowl and the only recipes I've used require some of the ingredients if you want it to be successful - which involves forward planning so it hardly ever happens! However I'm hosting the regular Sunday lunch with my mates next month so I should make some ice cream for that, so thanks for putting the idea in my head.

I bought the vice cream book when it first came out but (like my many other cook books ) I've not made anything from it.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

I'm intregued by ice cream making machines....often wondered why you can't just use a normal freezer? what does the machine do exactly? - excuse me if i sound stupid...

Quote Daffodil View Post
    I'm intregued by ice cream making machines....often wondered why you can't just use a normal freezer? what does the machine do exactly? - excuse me if i sound stupid...

You certainly can use just a normal freezer, but it usually means more work and a different texture. As an ice-cream machine keeps the mix churning all the time it freezes with smaller ice crystals resulting in a smoother texture, if you want to do it in a freezer it's recommended to take it out and give a good stir every 30 minutes or so for several hours. Alternatively you can make granita which relies on coarser ice crystals, but that needs stirring too.

Quote twinkle View Post
    You certainly can use just a normal freezer, but it usually means more work and a different texture. As an ice-cream machine keeps the mix churning all the time it freezes with smaller ice crystals resulting in a smoother texture, if you want to do it in a freezer it's recommended to take it out and give a good stir every 30 minutes or so for several hours. Alternatively you can make granita which relies on coarser ice crystals, but that needs stirring too.

thanks that makes sense now. i've often considered getting one, but i'm afraid i'll eat too much ice cream and get fat lol

Does any one know how to make frozen yoghurt? Can you just chuck yoghurt into an ice cream maker or is it much more complicated than that?

Quote DianeVegan View Post
    Ice Cream Base
    Yum! Any ideas on how much sugar to use? And have you ever used arrowroot, agar agar, corn starch, or xanthan gum in your recipes? Anyone else?

I got an ice cream maker recently and this is my favorite recipe so far,

Chocolate Coconut Milk Ice Cream

3 cups of unsweetened coconut milk (about two cans)
    2/3 cup of cocoa powder
    6 tablespoons agave syrup
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Mix all the ingredients and put it in the freezer for an hour then put in ice cream maker and follow directions for that.

I added a some chocolate chips and chopped hazelnuts in the last few minutes it was in the mixer (maybe like 1/3 cups each) and it was AMAZING.

Also I like it really chocolaty so if you don't want such a strong chocolate taste for some crazy reason then use 1/2 cup cocoa powder instead of 2/3!

Quote timberly View Post
    I got an ice cream maker recently and this is my favorite recipe so far,

Chocolate Coconut Milk Ice Cream

3 cups of unsweetened coconut milk (about two cans)
    2/3 cup of cocoa powder
    6 tablespoons agave syrup
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Mix all the ingredients and put it in the freezer for an hour then put in ice cream maker and follow directions for that.

I added a some chocolate chips and chopped hazelnuts in the last few minutes it was in the mixer (maybe like 1/3 cups each) and it was AMAZING.

Also I like it really chocolaty so if you don't want such a strong chocolate taste for some crazy reason then use 1/2 cup cocoa powder instead of 2/3!
    Does this come out with the texture of ice cream? Whenever I have tried a recipe, it has been very watery with ice crystals in it. I'll give this one a go!

Quote Linxie View Post
    Does this come out with the texture of ice cream? Whenever I have tried a recipe, it has been very watery with ice crystals in it. I'll give this one a go!
    It's not as fluffy as my favorite pre-packaged one but it's the closest I've gotten so far. There weren't any ice crystals in this one like there were when I made soy milk and even soy cream based recipes.

Also, I forgot to mention before that I had a hard time initially mixing the ingredients for this recipe so I poured them all in the blender and that incorporated them much better.

Thanks I am going to try making this over the weekend!

Quote twinkle View Post
    Resurrecting this thread as I hope to add to it shortly. I just got a self-freezing ice-cream maker from M&S for £77ish quid
    OMFG I can't believe you didn't sms me when you found it.

They don't seem to sell it anymore, at least not online.

I may have to invite myself over.

Just found this, which looks rather cool (no pun intended):

http://www.cookinstyle.co.uk/default...d=Froogle&pd=Y
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Quote timberly View Post
    It's not as fluffy as my favorite pre-packaged one but it's the closest I've gotten so far. There weren't any ice crystals in this one like there were when I made soy milk and even soy cream based recipes.

Also, I forgot to mention before that I had a hard time initially mixing the ingredients for this recipe so I poured them all in the blender and that incorporated them much better.
    It sounds like it would have a good texture (most likely due to the fats in coconut milk) but how do you manage do deal with the OVERWHELMING taste of coconut that must have?

Chocolate is definitely the dominant flavor but if you don't like coconut at all this isn't for you. I think this recipe works because chocolate and coconut go well together, like if you wanted to take out the chocolate to vanilla flavor that wouldn't work at all- you would have coconut, not vanilla ice cream.

If anyone has a hankering for some mr whippy style soft serve cheapo ice cream just put a carton of vanilla or chocolate soya custard (I tried it with the provamel one) in an ice cream maker. It's not an exciting or cultered taste, but sometimes it's just what you want.

I got my ice cream maker back today! Yaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

Soy custard?

Man I wish we had that selection here. They just got rid of the soy creamer at the local grocery, downhill selection all the time it seems.

Here is a recipe I have had luck with, but it certainly isn't healthy!

1.5 cup coconut milk
    0.5 cup soya
    0.33 cup sugar
    1/4 tsp xanthan gum
    1 tsp vanilla

Blend all, get cold, put in maker, freeze some more, eat.

Atomic #7

Hi All,

I'm the owner of a vegan ice cream shop and we use 1/8 tsp of xanthan gum per 1 cup of liquid and non dairy ice creams turn out smooth. We use Almond milk, coconut milk, and soy milk. The So Delicious company makes a new coconut beverage milk that is really useful as well. Pretty much the ratio for ice cream is 3 cups "milk", 3/4 cup sweetener.

I may a poor man's ice cream with soy milk, frozen bananas, strawberries and sometimes mangoes. It's more like a smoothie, I add a few ice cubes to stiffen it a bit and give it a thicker more frozen consistency. This used to be a diet snack for me before I went vegan.

When making ice cream with chocolate in it, try to use chocolate shavings or carob shavings instead of chips. Little chocolate (or carob) chips aren't very pleasant to chew when they're frozen. Shavings are just easier. There are many different ways to do shavings and the easiest is probably just to scrape a sharp knife back and forth on a block of chocolate. Cheese graters also work well.

I want to buy an ice cream maker, but I can't decide...

Could you recomend me one?

I found a new (ready made) ice cream - didn't know where else to post about it. I'm not certain if I like it and it's over £5 a tub but you do get 1 litre of the stuff. I got it in Infinity Foods in Brighton.

Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Hi All,
    I previously posted our recipe for Vegan ice cream. Now there is finally made to order Vegan ice cream. I'm the owner of a vegan and organic ice cream shop in Vegas. Come see us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Atomic-7/210762778054

Quote Atomic #7 View Post
    I'm the owner of a vegan ice cream shop
    VEGAN ice cream in Vegas? WHERE ? NAME ? drooling drooling drooling

NEVER MIND, just saw post about it above. OPENS MAY 30.

Thumbs up Re: Ice Cream Recipes

OH MAN.... Atomic #7 rocks.

VEGAN ROCKY ROAD ICE CREAM.. made with Dandies marshmellows. And soy whipped cream.

It's all Ginger's fault if I go bankrupt eating a daily ice cream creation. If anyone is visiting Vegas, you MUST trek out to Henderson by Galleria Mall for this place.

I was there and about 10 vegans came in and all had this expression of bliss when the first taste hit their mouths.

Keeping with the "7" motif ...

Hmm not so much ice cream but it hits the spot and is painfully easy - just set your machine going and slowly pour in some innocent smoothie..... prob be brilliant with home made banana smoothie as well.
    even perfect isn't perfect - Rubyduby 4th July 08

I've just bought The Vegan Scoop by Wheeler del Toro, and it's awesome . My partner and I made the peanut butter ice cream recipe this evening (organic peanut butter, soya milk, brown sugar, vanilla extract) and it's delicious! Very creamy, nutty and smooth . xox

Quote DianeVegan View Post
    Irisflame,
    We are big ice cream eaters in this house so I've tried many different recipes. Our favorite comes from a restaurant nearby. They never gave me a recipe, just the main ingredients so the following recipe is flexible.

Ice Cream Base

Blend the above and adjust sweetness to taste (remember that it will taste less sweet when frozen). For chocolate, add cocoa powder to taste. You may also want to add chocolate chips. The best way to chop them is to freeze them and then chop in a food processor. Or thinly slice and chop a chocolate bar. Freeze according to ice cream maker instructions.

Variations: Strawberry (use almond extract and ripe strawberries for best taste), Mint Chocolate Chip (use peppermint or spearmint extract and add chips after blending).

Sometimes I add lecithin granules (supposed to give it a richer taste) but it's not really necessary. You won't taste the coconut. A higher ratio of coconut milk gives it a richer taste and texture. A lower ratio allows more ice crystals to form so you lose texture. I have found that a 2:1 coconut milk to soy milk works best (so you could just use 1 can of coconut milk and 1/2 can of soy milk).

Enjoy!
    Thank you so much, this has worked wounders in my home, my kids really enjoyed.
    Eating right makes all strong.