Thread: Cravings - new to this world...

mrskittykat

Red face Cravings - new to this world...

Hello all,

I'm not quite there yet, but I'm pretty much vergitarian/almost vegan. It started because of diet (I can't eat red meat or most dairy products) and kept going from there. I still have eggs, and some animal products but I stear clear if/when I can. I'll get there one day

My main problems at the moment are cravings! It's taken me ages to get over the craving for a good steak! I would see my husband eating one and just drool! Now however it's the convenience of some of the things I could have when I could have milk i.e. instant Chai latte's or cheese cake!

So please help me along this path! I know that in the long run this choice will be better for my body (it's showing already with a great deal of wieght loss! ) but also for my conscious as well. Baby steps!

Default Re: New to this world...

Hi mrskittykat Welcome (nearly!) to the world of VF.

I'm going to ask you straight out: why baby steps? I could be wrong, but I sense a leeettle bit of self-indulgence here! I wonder if you're still thinking of it as 'depriving' yourself and a bit of a sacrifice?

Here in the UK we have a very good (TOO good!) range of vegan junk food available - ice cream, cheese cake, mock meats, crisps, chocolate, hot drinks, snacks etc. I expect it's very similar in Australia. If you're worried you'll miss out on naughty foods, there's no need!

That said, it's a good idea to use this as an opportunity to start to enjoy the huge range of 'good' foods you might not have tried until now. There are so many fruits and vegetables that taste amazing - I never tried a lot of them until I became vegan and I really was missing out on those - I never realised it before!

On the whole, you already know this is the right choice for your health, for the animals (watch a video like "Meet Your Meat" or "Earthlings" if you really need a conscience-shove) and for the environment (the United Nations agrees with that one!)

Go for it! As Yoda (Star Wars) said, "Do, or do not. There is no 'try'." So... do!

RubyDuby

It's great that you've taken a first step!

maybe you could do to watch a video or 2?

Meet Your Meat

Earthlings

Also, did you know you can still have chai lattes and cheesecake? Just google "vegan ____" fill in the blank for what you're craving and start testing out some recipes.
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

I'm making strawberry 'cheesecake' right now!
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

there are lots of cafes here in the UK that have a soya alternative ro milk and they make lovely lates.

Im sure there are plenty in Australia too and just think how good you shall feel knowing that youi havnt taken milk from a baby
    holding onto the dream that we imagined and painted forever more: elvinridge.co.uk

mrskittykat

Est: Yes it's a little bit of self-indulgence , but also a case of I don't want to just give up. I've given up on MOST dairy, and meats. When I realised I couldn't have dairy products I did my research and found hard yellow cheeses where fine, so at the moment I'm on a roll with eliminating that all together. And no, don't have cheesecake, but I do have soy chai lattes, however that's going to stop till I find a place that doesn't use the instant stuff. I got really pissed off the other day when I realised that even though I've asked for soy I get the milk powdered stuff ANYWAY! Just with soy milk added. grrrrr

RubyDuby:I've watched the movies and yeah, the idea of a cow giving me it's babies milk, and all the puss and other crap that will go into the milk along with it creeps me out! Also, and this will sound funny, but if you ever watch 'black sheep' you'll never want meat again! lol OH and no

As for fake meats, I have tasted some really good vegan alternatives for hambergers and sausages that are simply made out of veggies. SOOOO good you'll never go back And soy cheeses are nice But it has taken a lot of baby steps for me. I'm just crappy on will power, but that is why I'm here, to get a good kick up the bum! And it looks like I'll get that

cobweb

Quote mrskittykat View Post
    And it looks like I'll get that
    you will
    but hopefully it will be a friendly kick up the bum!
    it's one thing knowing that you want to go vegan, another figuring out how to make it work, it might take a little time but you'll soon feel like it's completely 'normal'.

Quote mrskittykat View Post
    And no, don't have cheesecake,
    Have you tried making your own? I'll be happy to pm you with a recipe if you like.

Welcome to the forum and we are all here to give you any help or advice you need so ask away!

mrskittykat

Sandra thank you I would LOVE the recipe! thank you I really miss cheese cake!

Hi mrskittykat and welcome

if you're having cravings they will go in time and eventually you won't even think of the things that other people eat as being food. Until that day, what you need is knowledge! Knowledge is the real power behind willpower.

It might help if you ask yourself why you're inspired to go down the vegan path and reinforce those positives by doing some reading and really understanding why this choice is so important. Is it for your health and the health of your loved ones? Is it for the animals? Is it for the environment?

Once you're have good and full understanding you'll see non-vegan foods for what they really are and you will want to avoid them. It's hard to see these things as treats when you know what they do to you and how they were made.

If its the health angle that inspires you, you can do worse that read "The China Study" by Dr Colin Campbell. Very factual, convincing and well researched.

There's also lots of practical tips and tricks you can learn and once you know where to shop, what to eat and how to cook it's not at all difficult being vegan.

If you have any specific questions, just ask - there's a huge ammount of valuable info and experience in the minds of the people here. Also, if you can get to know any friendly local vegans that can be really useful too.

best wishes

patientia

Cravings will go away (it's quite possible they'll be replaced by disgust). I used to like ham. Two months after I became a vegetarian, I came to my parents' house for the summer, saw ham on the table, and decided to smell it, to see if I would be craving it. But I wasn't. The smell was the same, but now, it was repelling.

Quote patientia View Post
    Cravings will go away (it's quite possible they'll be replaced by disgust). I used to like ham. Two months after I became a vegetarian, I came to my parents' house for the summer, saw ham on the table, and decided to smell it, to see if I would be craving it. But I wasn't. The smell was the same, but now, it was repelling.
    Geez, I hope you're right

Completely agree with patientia! As an ex-meat eater, the smells of food used to be intoxicating when I ate meat, but when I gave it up, I didn't even seem to crave it much. Now, when I go to the store with my mom and she's looking for meat, I have to walk away and go down another aisle or just look away or at someone else because the "intoxicating" smell has been replaced with the smell of fear and pain that those animals felt.

I agree....................meat to me is dead flesh (which is exactly what it is of course)..........I suppose I feel the same revulsion that a meat eater would feel to eating cooked human meat!

p.s. MrsKittyKat..............I've been trying to send you that recipe but I see you aren't able to receive pm's yet.