Thread: Acidophilus / probiotics

Question probiotics

I was wondering, what brand of probiotics do you guys use? I've been trying to find something that wasn't cultured on dairy and is also in non-gelatin capsules, but I'm having a bit of a hard time finding stuff that meets the description...

I actually buy Raw Saurkraut from the Health Food store and eat a little with meals. It has the live bacteria. Also if you can find Soy Kefir it is fermented soymilk. I think it is better to have the live than a processed product that has been sitting on a shelf.

Question Acidophilus

Does anyone have knowledge on whether probiotics should be taken to counteract various stomach problems or following antibiotics, OR are they recommended to be taken simply to keep the digestive tract in good nick?
    Eve

Default Re: Acidophilus

Hi Eve,

I've often taken courses of Acidophilus to get my intestinal flora back in check. I've used them for lots of reasons. In the past I've used them after antibiotic therapy and I've used them periodically during times of stress. Sometimes if my stomach feels like it's going 'off' I take them aswell.

Acidophilus is not a harmful thing to take long term either. If you take capsules (as opposed to Cultured Soya Yoghurt) don't consume them with hot drinks as it kills the bacteria.

Four capsules a day with meals works well (I've found). Also I've read that green tea is a powerful probiotic.

i have been taking said supplement for quite a few months now and i definetely feel healthier
    please could you stop the noise? i'm trying to get some rest from all the unborn chicken voices in my head.

probiotics are great to take after antibiotics and generally to look after your stomach and intestinal tract. Studies have shown that they are good to help prevent stomach cancer and H.pylori.
    In the stomach and intestines, there is a natural balance of bacteria and fungi. Sometimes, such as after antiobiotics, the bacteria are depleted and the fungi grow uncontrolably, this can lead to candidiasis, and the fungi burrow into the gut lining causing a syndrome called 'sloppy gut', which can cause food allergies. This is what I have! I have to avoid sugar and yeast because it feeds the candida (fungi) and i take acidophilus and I feel alot better!! hope this helps!!
    'Never eat more than you can lift' - 'Miss Piggy' :p

Thanks guys - I don't have any internal problems, just that it was recommended to take the tablets anyway. I'll think about it now.
    Eve

tails4wagging

Some years ago I had H Pyloric bacterial problem and had to have triple antibacterial treatment so I had acidophus as a precaution. I didnt realise you could take it on a regular basis. I will get some today.

I am taking it now as all the anitbiotics I have been on have caused me a lot more problems...it seems to be helping a lot.

~Mel
    ~Mel

"Sweet songs the youth, the wise, the meaning of all wisdom...to believe in the good in man" - Legend