Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: raising children vegan

Cedarblue- thought for you. I make my husbands lunch every morning and I get bored making the same thing all the time. Except after the X number attempt at creating variety he nicely asked me to cool it! He said he doesn't mind eating the same kind of thing every day for lunch, it was ME that was getting bored!

Now I pack the same thing everyday, based on what we have around the house. A fruit, a veggie, a container of nuts, a container of dried fruit, a peanut butter sandwich and 2 baked items (loaves, cookies, muffins, mini apple pies,etc.). The upside is that now the children can help pack it very easily.

We get lots of variety in our other meals of the day, that the repetition is not a health problem. Since I do the baking around here I can also increase health content in the baking if I think it's needed.

If you make a list of what she likes, and it's only 4 items long, then she eats those 4 items! I imagine her list would be longer than that however.

Cheers!

Nice lunch! I have a weekly food pattern which means variety and also being able to guarantee all the right foods and nutrients...

My husband takes for lunch each day: 2 sandwiches with almond butter/jelly + 1 sandwich with tofu, tomato, nayonaise. He has been eating this same lunch for about 14 years now. Some people don't like change.
    I personally thrive on change.

Quote wuggy
    I don't think it's atall wise to criticise other people's parenting, and make strongly worded suggestions about dietary supplements.
    It's very difficult to suggest to a parent that she should change something in the way she raises or feeds her kids, without the other parent possibly feeling criticized. If we want to communicate about how we possbly can treat kids and others in a better way, there is always a chance that somebody will feel that way. Criticizing can be a good and useful thing, and is maybe worth the risk of feeling attacked?

wuggy, I know you're reading this. I can't be the only one missing your posts all over the forum. Get posting wuggy.

Quote ravelston
    i've heard of b12 drops or whatever but they're both so finicky with their food and drinks i don't think i could slip it past them. is there *any* way to supplement while staying vegan (ie some type of veggie or carb) ? is it possible they're just too young for this lifestyle? oh i hope no one says yes to that because i so want this to work for our family (and save those animals!)i's appreciate any advice. thanks!
    crystal
    I don't know if this has been mentioned already but, you don't need to buy any kind of B12 vitamin, just replace the cow's milk with soy milk (chocolate for the kiddies) and they will get all the B12 they need and more. There's more B12 in fortified soymilk than in cow's milk. And I don't think they will reject it, especially if it's a flavored kind. My son never noticed the difference when I made the switch.

wuggy

Quote DontJustDoSomething, SitThere
    It's very difficult to suggest to a parent that she should change something in the way she raises or feeds her kids, without the other parent possibly feeling criticized. If we want to communicate about how we possbly can treat kids and others in a better way, there is always a chance that somebody will feel that way. Criticizing can be a good and useful thing, and is maybe worth the risk of feeling attacked?
    Without wishing to rejuvenate an argument, what I feel is this:
    if anyone is asking for advice, it's probably because they feel that whatever they are doing could be improved upon, so what they need is IMPARTIAL advice - they have probably worked out the pitfalls of their present course of action, and don't really need their worries magnifying.
    Also, we're all intelligent - obviously, or we wouldn't have arrived at this forum, - so therefore all capable of forming our own opinions based on information gathered from various sources - doesn't mean we're always right!
    Lastly - criticising what any parent does with their child is always ill advised - we're all sensitive about our kids, aren't we?

Quote casey_veggoddes
    I don't know if this has been mentioned already but, you don't need to buy any kind of B12 vitamin, just replace the cow's milk with soy milk.
    I have heard that we need a lot more B12 then was thought and that the B12 from fortified products is not necessarily enough. I actually know someone who got a B12 deficiency even though he used a lot of B12 fortified foods.

Just to be on the safe side, I give my kids a sub-lingual B12 vitamin (Country Life) twice a week. They love them!!!!

Quote wuggy
    Without wishing to rejuvenate an argument, what I feel is this:
    if anyone is asking for advice, it's probably because they feel that whatever they are doing could be improved upon, so what they need is IMPARTIAL advice - they have probably worked out the pitfalls of their present course of action, and don't really need their worries magnifying.
    Also, we're all intelligent - obviously, or we wouldn't have arrived at this forum, - so therefore all capable of forming our own opinions based on information gathered from various sources - doesn't mean we're always right!
    Lastly - criticising what any parent does with their child is always ill advised - we're all sensitive about our kids, aren't we?
    Yes, but I would still like people to tell me if they think I do something wrong, including the way I treat my children, and even if it would hurt. We don't need to magnify our worries, but sometimes we need to look at them!

Default Re: raising children vegan

http://www.veganlunchbox.blogspot.com/ is a very cool site

thank you all! my fiance is very supportive of my being vegan, but has a few concerns about me being vegan for pregnancy and tons of concerns about raising our child vegan. thankfully i have facts on my side, so i think i'll prevail eventually, and wits to help me win little battles in the mean time! (i.e. he was concerned about our children needing to take vitamin supplements if they were vegan - a few days later, i had a thought and said to him "hey, did you ever have flinstone vitamins when you were a kid?" he replied immediately that he did, and looked at me with this LOOK, and i knew that he got what i was getting at)

in any case, it's great to have you all here as a reference

and really, i am convinced (though i guess i could be wrong) that if children really KNEW where meat and eggs and dairy came from, they'd be willing to give it up.
    "Take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Elie Wiesel