Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Why weren't you vegan before you became vegan?

Default Re: Why weren't you vegan before you became vegan?

Well, I guess I already answered this over at:
    http://www.veganforum.com/forums/sho...&postcount=103
    answering why omnivores don't become vegan or become vegan sooner.

But long story short:
    1. Impractical living with my mom and eating school lunches followed by marrying a guy who (until recently) ate a diet based on slabs of meat, burgers, and pizza.
    2. Misinformation about health effects, especially since diabetes runs in my family and, while I don't have that so far, I do have other health problems that I had been told would benefit from a high protein diet (which was always portrayed as a high meat diet).
    3. Not knowing just how really bad the food system was. It's not like I was totally unaware, but it just didn't seem worth it based on what I thought it was like and based on the sacrifices I thought I'd have to make.

Turns out, though, that I feel better on a vegan diet and it's easier to be vegan than I thought. And, best of all, perhaps, my husband was the one that decided that we should try going vegan as an experiment, which made things MUCH easier. Since then, we've both decided to be full vegans, as much as can, at least.

chefness

Was a lactose-intolerant vegetarian with an egg allergy haha
    Living with yogurt and cottage cheese as the only animal products in my life...
    and when I went raw, I ditched them for seed cheese and yogurt...
    Seemed like the right idea.
    To my health, to the great mother earth and to all of her beautiful creatures on this planet.
    Cheers to sustainable living, and cheers to whole food vegans everywhere.

Ruziko

Because I used to think cows and chickens etc weren't harmed in milk/egg/etc production... :\

How wrong I was.

^ +1
    I hate it when I'm studying and a velociraptor throws bananas on me.

Quote chefness View Post
    Was a lactose-intolerant vegetarian with an egg allergy haha
    Haha, I was an omni technically, but I was lactose-intolerant, and I hated meat and eggs

I was ignorant.
    I knew killing animals was wrong, but somehow it didn't affect me. I was aware that these animals had an awful life. I still ate meat. I don't know what I was thinking- I always thought that it was great to be vegetarian, yet I didn't bother to stop eating meat. The thought didn't even ocurr to me.
    It is ironic because I was questioning religion, society and capitalism at fourteen, but I didn't even begin to question the food on my plate until I was seventeen. I took pride in being skeptical, but I didn't think about what I was putting in my mouth every day.
    I became a vegetarian a few days after my seventeenth birthday, and a few weeks later I became a vegan.
    Now I can't believe I didn't get it earlier. It seems so obvious now. Sometimes I feel terrible for living that way for so long. I will never be able to make up for that. The animals that died for me will always be dead and I will never be able to change that. No matter how sorry I am, I will always be guilty of their suffering. The only thing I can do now is to avoid causing more suffering.
    I hope that I will always be vegan from now on
    The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

I was brainwashed. I've been vegan on and off since I was 15 because I didn't have any support system, and I let the meat eaters around me influence me so that I ended up giving into cheese a few times... but I stopped eating meat when I was 14, haven't eaten it since and will NEVER eat it again. And I'm also certain that I will never go back to dairy, either. I've just come to a point in my life where everything makes a lot of sense to me. I'm now aware that I am in control of my own self. I'm also 100% sure that the dairy and egg industries are completely corrupt.

I now know that all living creatures are the same. We're all made of flesh, bone and blood. I just can't eat my brothers and sisters, and I can't bring myself to steal their babies' milk, either. It's not right.

To Dorian Gray and jessiejessie:

I am so jealous of the 2 of you because I was eating meat everyday until I was 47 years old. When the miracle happened that made me a vegetarain overnight and then a vegan a few months later, I said the same things to myself that you both are saying. Why didn't I do this much earlier in my life. I am Italian, so you can imagine how important meat was when I was growing up. I always loved animals with a passion, yet when I sat down and ate that steak my mother put before me, I always new that an animal had to be slaughtered for that steak, yet I ate it anyway. But when I found out that the slaughter of animals was just the half of it, it completely changed my life. I am so glad that I became vegan, even though I became vegan much later in life than the 2 of you. You 2 give me hope that maybe someday us ethical vegans will get our way. I am sure it will not be seen in my life time, but you 2 have a better chance of maybe getting your wish for the animals.
    Last edited by VeganLu; Feb 22nd, 2010 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Took out a slash mark
    All about the animals, Lucia

It's never too late to make changes in your life. The key to success is positive thinking. Eventually, the rest of the world will come around. Everyone learns things at their own pace according to their own unique situation. In my case, as soon as I was old enough to understand what factory farming really was, I started questioning everything. First I made the connection between the food I was eating and the animals, and now, I'm learning the connection between humans and the earth and how we often allow money and material objects to sever that connection.

This is my reality though, and I say that the whole world WILL turn vegan, and all plastic WILL be made out of hemp.

P.s.; don't feel jealous.. age is meaningless, it's just a number. The point is that you are vegan now. That's WAY more than you can say for most people your age. Especially people who grew up in meat-loving families.

I was totally aware of the fact that "you have to kill an animal before you can eat it"!! but i was not aware of the fact that humans are biologically and physically herbivores so they can stay alive and even healthier without all the blood and flesh; so i always ate my meat and dairy because i thought it was "needed" and i thought if i didn't take enough of that, I would become weak, and sick !! until a vegan friend saved my life, and of course animals' lives, too.

leedsveg

Hi ZOZO

Glad you're still alive and now with us!

leedsveg

I wanted to but I also know what I'm like. I had issues with eating as a teenager so I wanted to do it for the right reasons.

Short answer: I never thought about it.

It never dawned on me on what happens to animals destined for meat.... and also for dairy, eggs etc.
    Lisa @ http://www.facebook.com/earthsista

I was ignorant . . . and poor and fat

I was a child, and children are to be seen and not heard.

Well, I was a vegetarian for the reason that I just simply didn't know animals suffered for eggs and dairy. Then I found "Earthlings" and I just couldn't believe what I saw and couldn't believe how ignorant I was.

I have been mad about animals for as long as i can remember, and as soon as i realised that the meat on my plate was from those same beautiful animals i saw in fields etc. i didn't want to eat it any more. That was in the late 70s / early 80s. I don't think i actually knew what a vegetarian was, let alone a Vegan, but it just felt wrong to eat animals.
    ( I would just like to say, i have HUGE respect for all vegans, but especially anyone that has been vegan for 20+ years )
    Most people then, my parents and doctor included, still thought you needed to eat meat, and eat it every day, to be healthy. We lived in a little town where shops and cafes/restaurants didn't cater for non meat eaters. So i avoided meat where i could, but still ate some. I never knew anyone who felt the same as me, and had no access to information.
    I carried on like that, until i started to gain more knowledge, and a vegetarian diet started to be promoted more, and decent food / recipes started to become available.
    I eventually got to a point where i was probably eating the same amount of meat in a year, that a meat eater would eat in a week. I never bought or cooked meat for myself, but would eat chicken or seafood when dining out IF there was no veggie option.
    About 5 years ago i became 100% veggie, and cut out a lot of dairy at the same time. I switched to soya milk, soya yogurts etc. I also have always tried to buy cruelty free toiletries / cleaning products etc. But was not 100% vegan.
    I live in a sleepy little village now, which is wonderful, but it means vegans aren't really catered for in our area, even in local towns / shops / supermarkets / restaurants etc. I am still amazed how many people don't know what a Vegan actually is. But thanks to the internet, i am now armed with so much more information, and access to online shops and wonderful forums like this.
    So last year i started to concentrate on removing those last non vegan things from my diet. And this year i think i can finally call myself a Vegan.
    Ofcourse now i wish i had done it a lot sooner, and i regret every mouthful of animal produce i have ever had in my life.
    I know i will never go back, and i am so happy to have a cruelty and guilt free future ahead of me

Blimey, i don't half waffle lol. Sorry!
    ~WE MUST NOT REFUSE WITH OUR EYES WHAT THEY MUST ENDURE WITH THEIR BODIES.~

I became vegetarian when I was 9 after a long fight with parents/teachers....but not vegan until 23, n the only thing that kept me from going vegan sooner was ignorance...

1. I was under the impression that my athletic performance would decline rather than improve.
    2. I never thought about cruelty to animals; I never had to.

Upon the change of diet I realized that I needed to take as much cruelty out of my purchases as possible (for both humans and other animals)...but I'm new and I'm still learning.

To Mariogirl:

You will find that as you go on, you will learn more and more, and what you learn you will add to your vegan life. Enjoy your journey!

I was dumb and oblivious. I was addicted to meat, fast food and junk food. When I think back on all the animal flesh and products I've eaten in my life, I'm sick. I could just cry, I'm so ashamed.

To Shepard Mom:

Please do not be ashamed. All of us did the same as you because we did not know. Be happy that you have seen the light. Do not cry. Be glad.

I didn't consider what I was eating, just saw it thee to be purchased and thought nothing of how it got there. Wish I became one earlier, ate meat for 17 years, it disgusts me.

Thank you!! I am so happy that I've changed my awful ways and I wish the whole world would go vegan. I get discouraged a lot by the things I see, hear and read regarding animal suffering but I try to remember that every little bit helps and that by living a vegan lifestyle I am making a small difference.

Well, when i was in Grade Six ( i'm second year high school now) i tried to be a vegetarian. I don't have a problem when i'm at home but i usually have a problem when i go to school. It's because i usually have packed lunch and the food got spoilt. I looked around the food stalls but there wasn't any vegetarian food stall at all and i ended up starving. I stopped being a vegetarian after 2 or 3 months. It took me about 1 year to think about going vegan and i did when i was 13 ( i'm turning 15 this year.) and i still am a vegan.

I went vegan on my 14th birthday (3 years ago.) For 3 months before that, I was vegetarian. Then, when I did my reading, I realized that not eating meat wasn't enough.

Before that, I didn't have any real interest in vegetarianism. I didn't know how much animals suffered, or how bad animal products are for your health, or any of the other reasons. But one day, I was eating a piece of pork, and I was suddenly disgusted by it as it hit me that it had once been a real living pig with feelings. After that, I never ate meat again.

wow I can't believe there are some vegan young'ns out there! kudos to you guys!!
    To be honest I really don't know why I didn't become vegan earlier. Perhaps because I didn't even consider it. I was too busy with my life to worry about anything as a child and besides I didn't cook - so i didn't see the raw ingredients. I just ate it! By the time I was adult I was set in my dairy eating ways. Luckily after an epiphany I'm now a very happy vegan!

rxseeeyse

childhood, I ate what other fed me, didn't think about the link between meat and animals. Then, my grandmother influenced me with her buddism ideas. She eats meat but she doesn't on the first day and 15th day of every chinese month. So I started to doing that too. Then when I turned 18, I realized I need to change my life. so I did and became vegan. I think all the years before I turned 18 I just didn't give much thought to the question and didn't feel it's right to change and take charge of my life. I didn't even start to read about animal issues until after I turned veggie.

I didn't think I had the strength to take control of what I was eating without going overboard (into an eating disorder).
    Eat your veggies!

I didn't think about it or consider it in the slightest. I always loved animals as a child, but never saw meat as animals, just saw it as food. Pigs were my favourite animals when I was about fourteen, so I stopped eating pork because I thought pigs were so cute. Then I realised that no animal deserved to be killed just for me to have meat in my dinner or sandwich, no way was a certain "food" worth something's life! So I turned vegetarian. And actually I thought that was me doing my bit. I thought "well hens have eggs anyway, and cows produce milk anyway, so vegans are extremists" . I hate that I was ever that stupid! I read up on Peta and Animal Aid though and became a member of both, and then of Viva!, and SPEAK, and the more I read all what I was sent, the more disgusted I was and realised what I was eating and where it really came from. Not the happy country farms with the happy animals in the big fields, but the confined, caged, malnourished, animals completely raped of any quality to their lives. So there was my 2007 new years resolution - to be vegan forever after!

I grew up omni and didn't encounter veg*nism until I was in my 20s. And then when I did it was mostly really obnoxious veg*ns, so I was put off the idea for a while.

Then, I got to know online and in person some veg*ns of various sorts that were pleasant and shared info and stuff in a nice way and it started to interest me... from there it's been a transition from omni to lacto-ovo to vegan for me.

Quote Ruziko View Post
    Because I used to think cows and chickens etc weren't harmed in milk/egg/etc production... :\
    How wrong I was.
    That's how it was for me. When I became dairy intolerant I went online looking for recipes without dairy, and accidentally came across all the information about the way cows/hens are treated. I was vegetarian for years before, but that was a turning point for me. Until then I thought there was no harm in eggs/milk/cheese.

I wondered how I would get on, but it's fine. I still miss Heinz salad cream though.....................................
    Last edited by gmc; Oct 10th, 2010 at 02:16 PM. Reason: repeated words

I did not know any better then. I'd been brainwashed by my family & culture into believing that meat & dairy were "good for us". I knew killing animals was wrong, but I did not think about it that much, until I met a vegan online who sent me a link to the Meat your meat video It was definitely an eye-opener, I went onto veggie websites, heard about veggies being in good health, and I became lacto-ovo 2 years ago. I was already planning on becoming vegan then. But vegetarian food was so easy to come by that I 'fell asleep' for a wee while re veganism. I then listened to Colleen Patrick-Goudreau's podcast which partly made me change my mind & opened my eyes wider. Then, 6 months ago, I saw Earthlings which basically made me go from veggie to vegan overnight; I did not want to take part in any of the cruelties that the documentary was showing any more.
    "The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not made for humans any more than black people were made for whites or women for men." ~Alice Walker.

For me it was the same as alot of people: I never really thought about it.

I had been raised to love animals and to respect all life by my mother. I remember as a toddler I intentionally killed a bug on the wall of our house. My Mum found out and I got in alot of trouble. We always had pets around and my Mum loves her dogs more than life itself. Looking back it seems weird that I had never been taught of vegetarianism or veganism. I guess my Mum just didn't put much thought into it either. With being raised in such a way I had always been against the killing of animals. I knew my food came from animals but was still somehow detatched from it. I decided to become vegetarian about a year and a half ago after watching a video on pig slaughter. My intention at that point was always to become vegan, vegetarianism was never a solution for me, just a stepping stone. I kept telling myself I couldn't go vegan as my diet was (no exaggeration) 90% cheese. I had it on everything and regularly spend £15-20 a week on cheese. So for a few months I was just coasting on the veggie diet but not really making any effort to go vegan. Then, as a few others have said, I watched Earthlings and went vegan overnight. I think going 'cold turkey' (if you'll pardon the expression) animal produce is probably the best way, otherwise you're sortof teasing yourself.

I have now been vegan for about 8 months. A few months ago I started a vegan society for Preston which meets regularly with about 15-20 attendees each time with the facebook group having 65 members. I have tried to start one for Warrington too but not had much of a response but I'm working on it!

EDIT: Within a week of me being vegan my Mum said she saw the logic in it and has turned veggie .
    "Sick of tea? That's like being sick of breathing!" - Iroh

I have a slightly guilty feeling that the reason I was not a vegan before I became a vegan may be something like this:

The light had never dawned on me that being a vegan rattles the pram of the non-thinking person even more than being a vegetarian does.

T'other reason may be that the last of arguments I held on to for not going the next step, as it were, had stopped making sense when I was having one of my frequent debates with myself.

Bit worried right now that the last of my arguments for not progressing towards raw food fruitarianism are also shortly going to fall ..
    All done in the best possible taste ...

Quote Iroh View Post
    EDIT: Within a week of me being vegan my Mum said she saw the logic in it and has turned veggie .
    'Lo Iroh

From buddhist texts ...

"I tell you, monks, there are two people who are not easy to repay. Which two? Your mother & father. Even if you were to carry your mother on one shoulder & your father on the other shoulder for 100 years, and were to look after them by anointing, massaging, bathing, & rubbing their limbs, and they were to defecate & urinate right there [on your shoulders], you would not in that way pay or repay your parents. If you were to establish your mother & father in absolute sovereignty over this great earth, abounding in the seven treasures, you would not in that way pay or repay your parents. Why is that? Mother & father do much for their children. They care for them, they nourish them, they introduce them to this world. But anyone who rouses his unbelieving mother & father, settles & establishes them in conviction; rouses his unvirtuous mother & father, settles & establishes them in virtue; rouses his stingy mother & father, settles & establishes them in generosity; rouses his foolish mother & father, settles & establishes them in discernment: To this extent one pays & repays one's mother & father."
    I would say that what you did for your mums fits.
    All done in the best possible taste ...

Because I had never heard of such a thing. I had heard of vegetarians but had never actually met one (still haven't) and also I never knew why they were vegetarian. In my 16 years of life the first time I ever came across something that explained the reasons for becoming vegan (I saw earthlings) and I immediately withdrew from all animal products just like that. It was so easy I haven't thought about ever going back.

probably because I didn't think about it before then. When I thought about it it made perfect sense to become vegan and I changed my life immediateley, have never had any doubts. There are not many things I'm sure of in this life, apart from being vegan being a good thing for me.

VagabondVegan

Discovered it a few months before University and couldn't be bothered with the hassle of doing it while living at home with my parents. Soon as I left went Vegan. Easy.

I've been vegetarian since conception and irst thought about excluding all animal products when I was about 6. I asked my mum and she said, "they're vegans, but they can't hardly eat anything and have to take vitamin pills"

I basically thought it would be really hard

And when I first seriously tried, it WAS hard because instead of adding new things in I jujst cut things out

Default Re: Why aren't other people vegan?

I wasn't vegan before I became vegan probably because I was too scared to genuinely comprehend the gravity of my animal consumption. I had been vegetarian for several years as a teenager and then as I entered my twenties I allowed others to detrimentally influence my choices. I take full responsibility for my choices - even the bad ones I've made - because it allowed me to cultivate and deepen my convictions. Veganism makes so much freaking sense to me that my previous way of being in the world seems so thoughtless!

Quote VagabondVegan View Post
    couldn't be bothered with the hassle

I think it was pure ignorance. I wish I'd done it years ago!
    Flesh eating is unprovoked murder. ~ Benjamin Franklin

I've been vegetarian for 15 years, but last year I tried going vegan, and failed. This year, I tried again, and I've found it much easier as I've done it gradually.

I've knows about all the cruelty for dairy etc for a while, but initially found it quite difficult the first time I tried. But this time I know I'll be sticking with it.
    "Nobody can come up with a good argument for eating animals — nobody can." - Morrissey

I had never thought that killing animals to eat cold be wrong. The first time I realised that, was during an argument with my parents about bullfighting (and I was 18 years old already!). Mi posture was that killing an animal as a "sport" was terribly wrong, just as hunting. Then they said that then, why did I eat meat? At fist I didn't know how to answer that, so I said the typical "It's not the same. Our organism needs eat to live". Nevertheless, after that I thought about it, and one month later later I went vegetarian. I carried on with the consumption of eggs and milk but, after about one year with this diet, I saw "Earthlings". I went to the fridge and throw to the garbage the only 3 yoghurts I had at that moment. Thinking about it now, I regret that, i.e. throwing away food, but at that moment I felt terrible and couldn't think about eating them.

I simply didn't know that people can survive without meat and other animal products and imagined that animals were raised just as picture books for children. After getting to know the truth I went vegan and really believed that everybody else will make that change if they learn how the meat comes to the table and moreover that biologically we don't need animals. Though most of my acquaintances are ignoring the reality as long as it doesn't happen to them, I am sincerely convinced that we should concentrate on those who don't build wall around them and outside world and listen. I don't pay any attention to protein, plant feelings and other trolls, not going to answer them any way.

Way back, I probably didn't give it any thought. I have never known another vegan and vegetarianism was seen as pretty extreme.
    Living at home, my parents were not interested in veganism and my trying to follow a vegan diet was a constant struggle.
    Thoughts about improving animal welfare with careful buying of welfare products etc.
    Working in a supermarket on the checkouts and in the cafe, handling non-vegan food all the time.

I watched about 20 seconds of Glass Walls almost a year ago and immediately became vegetarian. About a month later I was doing some more research and ran into some milk and egg articles and immediately became vegan. I read a lot about the "ignorance" of omnivores. I'm not quite sure how to take that though. Is it ignorance in the sense that everyone knows what goes on, but they just ignore it? Because I don't think that's the case with everyone. Unless you go looking for the information, it isn't exactly going to jump out at you one day... The only reason I ran into Glass Walls was because it somehow came up when I was looking for Beatles music. It's weird to think that if that hadn't happened I could still be an omnivore Aside from that, it was basically the same as a lot of others. You needed meat for protein, milk for calcium and so on... You never thought to challenge the idea that it was any different.