Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegan cheese - any good?

PinkFluffyCloud

Tofutti slices are good on Pizza, I hate all the others I have tried, and rarely use that one either.
    Homous and Garlic are just as good!

i like soymage cheese. toffutti is strong with a chemically taste, but good melted in vegan mac and cheese. theres some recipes to make your own cheese. heres a couple from http://www.veganchef.com

italian style hot pepper almond cheese

water
    1/3 cup raw almonds
    1 1/2 cups water, divided
    3 T. cornstarch
    3 T. lemon juice
    2 T. safflower oil
    4 t. nutritional yeast flakes
    1 t. garlic powder
    1 t. onion powder
    3/4 t. sea salt
    1/4 cup Cubanelle pepper, destemmed, deseeded, and finely diced
    1 T. freshly chopped basil
    1 T. freshly chopped parsley
    1/2 t. crushed red pepper flakes

Begin by blanching the almonds: In a small saucepan, place 2 inches of water, and bring to a boil. Add the almonds and cook for 1 minute to blanch them. Remove the saucepan from the heat and set aside for 3 minutes to cool. Remove the almonds from the water, squeeze each almond between your thumb and forefinger to remove the skin, and set them aside for 5-10 minutes to dry and cool. Place the almonds in a blender or food processor and process for 1-2 minutes to finely grind them. Scrape down the sides of the container. Add 3/4 cup water and process for 1 minute to combine. Add the remaining water, cornstarch, lemon juice, safflower oil, nutritional yeast flakes, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt, and continue to process the mixture an additional 1-2 minutes or until very smooth and creamy.

Transfer the mixture back to the small saucepan and place it over medium heat. Cook the mixture, while whisking constantly, for 3-5 minutes or until the mixture becomes very thick. Remove the saucepan from the heat, add the remaining ingredients, stir well to combine, and set the mixture aside to cool for 10 minutes. Pour the cheese mixture into a 2-cup (16 oz.) plastic container, cover, and chill the cheese for several hours or until firm. Unmold the cheese and use slices on sandwiches or in place of commercially made cheese in your favorite recipes, or as a spread with crackers, breads, or fruit. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 5-7 days. Note that this is a semi-soft style cheese, not a brick style cheese, so it can not be shredded.

Yield: One 2-cup loaf of non-dairy cheese

non-dairy swiss style cheese

1 1/2 cups water
    1/3 cup agar-agar flakes
    1/2 cup raw cashews
    1/3 cup blanched almonds
    1 T. safflower oil, sunflower oil, or other vegetable oil of choice
    1/3 cup soy milk, rice milk, or other non-dairy milk of choice
    1/3 cup nutritional yeast flakes
    3 T. lemon juice
    1 T. light or mellow miso
    1 T. Dijon mustard
    1 T. onion powder
    3/4 t. garlic powder
    1/4 t. salt

In a small saucepan, place the water and agar-agar flakes, and simmer over low heat to thoroughly dissolve the agar-agar flakes. Meanwhile, in a food processor, place the cashews, almonds, and oil, and process for 1-2 minutes to form a smooth paste. Scrape down the sides of the food processor. Add the remaining ingredients and process for 1 minute. After the agar-agar mixture has simmered for 5 minutes, add the mixture to the food processor, and process an additional 2 minutes to thoroughly blend the flavors. Lightly oil a 3-cup mold, plastic container, or small loaf pan. Pour the cheese mixture into the mold, cover, and chill overnight. Unmold the cheese and used sliced or shredded in place of commercially made cheese in your favorite recipes, or enjoy with crackers, breads, or fruit. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 7-10 days.

Yield: One 3-cup brick or loaf of non-dairy cheese
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

drummer

Hey, does anyone here know what country Tofitti soy cheese slices are made in??
    I can't find any address on the packet, plus half the writing is in another language. I would like to try Galaxy Foods vegan soy cheeses, but they are not available in Australia.

Didn't find anything on thier site, but here is contact info. http://www.tofutti.com/index.php?id=2

A phone number! So much better than waiting for a return email.
    -JK

What vegan cheese is best for what, like melting or just eating plain? Are there vegan cheeses that are already shredded?

I haven't seen any already-shredded cheeses. I vote "none" for eating plain and Tofutti (although it's oily) for melted.

Default Should I even bother?

I have a question about soy "cheese" and "yougurt"...

Are they even good? I can't seem to find any casein free soy "cheese" any where and I was thinking of asking the grocery store if they could special order it...but now I'm thinking, what if it's nasty? Is it?

And about soy "yougurt"...Is that good too or does it have a weird taste? Here it's $1.49 (Canadian) for a little 1-serving container....with the $1.49 I could buy some yummy veggies or buy a litre of soy milk...

It's really a personal choice for yourself. If you liked yogurt and/or cheese pre-vegan, then you might enjoy the vegan varieties at least of the yogurt. Most brands are pretty good though I find them a bit too sweet. I usually buy the unsweetened variety and add my own fruit. Soy yogurt is expensive, I usually only buy it on sale. Vegan cheese is another story, most brands are absolutely vile. If you can find Follow Your Heart Vegan Gourmet cheese, then I would recommend trying that. It melts and is great on pizza or grilled cheese sandwiches. Veganrella is not bad either but doesn't melt as well as Vegan Gourmet. Or you can make your own vegan cheese, there are many recipes floating around online or in awonderful cookbook called The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook.

Thanks a lot!

ConsciousCuisine

Feline, I agree with your post. Vegan Gourmet works well on home-made pizza and vegan mac'n cheese.

I don't care much for soy yoghurt - I prefer to have soy milk instead. I agree with Feline, the Follow Your Heart vegan cheese is probably the best one I have tried so far. It's quite expensive but works well for nachos (I enjoy vegan nachos from time to time)

In Australia, I have found all brands of vegan cheese and yoghurt to be repulsive - but I hate soy altogether

Alright. Thanks!

mmm i love soy yogurt. the so nice brand is good. i love peach and strawberry. i also like soymage cheese for sandwiches.

I still have not ventured into trying the Vegan cheeses after my first bite of one that was very nasty. The rest are still in the freezer. I have heard Follow Your Heart was good. I might buy some to have around for omni friends/relatives. I was not too much of a dairy eater before becoming vegetarian/vegan.

I have tried the soy ice cream. I never liked the dairy ice cream but I love the soy version. I am going to start making it myself.

Quote MzNatural
    I still have not ventured into trying the Vegan cheeses after my first bite of one that was very nasty. The rest are still in the freezer. I have heard Follow Your Heart was good. I might buy some to have around for omni friends/relatives. I was not too much of a dairy eater before becoming vegetarian/vegan.

I have tried the soy ice cream. I never liked the dairy ice cream but I love the soy version. I am going to start making it myself.
    Have you seen that cookbook, Vice Cream by Jeff Rogers? I attended a demonstation at Taste of Health in NYC last summer and he did a demo. The vice cream looked fantastic (didn't get any though because the babies were 2 months old at the time and I was breastfeeding them, outside at Lincoln Center )

i personally used to like cheese and yogurt before i went vegan, but haven't found many good substitutes so i don't really eat them much now. they're very expensive and i don't think they're worth the money. i sometimes eat Alpro soy yogurt which is probably the best yog in the UK IMO, but most vegan cheese is icky if you ask me.

if you really miss cheese and yogurt maybe they're worth trying, but i don't miss them any more myself.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Well, it's been a month since I became vegan (strict vegetarian if you want to get technical since I do have some animal products like my shampoo and my make up). At first, I really did miss the cheese and the convience of yougurt in school lunches...I might try the soy "yougurt"...the cheese is expensive and it's all with casien over here.

UPDATE: I tried the So Nice strawberry yougurt today. Umm, it was nasty in my opinion. Tasted like Metamucil powder.

Quote Tigerlily
    UPDATE: I tried the So Nice strawberry yougurt today. Umm, it was nasty in my opinion. Tasted like Metamucil powder.
    I guess it wasn't So Nice ?

Haha, no. My dad liked it though. I gave it to him and he was like "mmmm"...*rolls eyes*

thats so wierd that some people dont like it. i loooove it. even my boyfriend sneaks bites while im eating it lol. (and hes not vegan)

I thought they were gross. It's been awhile, but if I remember correctly they were kind of greasy or oily or something. Of course, everyone has different tastes, so you may like them.

Regarding Tofutti Cream Cheese;
    I have made cheesecake with Tofutti and carrot cake with an improvised cream cheese frosting (whipped Tofutti together with agave nectar and vanilla extract), and have fooled non-vegans into thinking both were the real thing.
    "I intend to live forever. So far, so good."

Look for the nonhydrogenated Tofutti cream cheese, called "Better Than Cream Cheese," and don't forget that the Tofutti slices ARE hydrogenated.
    utopiankitchen.wordpress.com

Although I haven't missed cheese at all since becoming vegan (strange as I used to be a bit of cheese freak when veggie) I felt I should try this tofutti everyones been talking about. And the verdict: it was very nice, rather like philadelphia cream cheese. Definitely buy it again.
    Last time I tried vegan cheese was 10 years ago and it was gross.

celtic rose, if you haven't tried it yet, and liked philadelphia, theres a soft dairy free spread made by the same makers of swedish glace ice cream I think, called swedish soft. I can't find a link . I haven't bought it for a while, but it was avaialble in the likes of asdawl.

today i spotted a 'cheese' sauce powder mix in holland & barrett, suitable for vegans of course!

anyone tried it yet?
    i will buy some on fri and give it a go i think

i love Swedish Glace ice cream and i've been looking for their cream cheese but can't seem to find it anywhere. it's certainly not available my local "Asdawl" as you suggest gert. i don't think any of the local supermarkets do any vegan cheese, yet.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Quote cedarblue
    today i spotted a 'cheese' sauce powder mix in holland & barrett, suitable for vegans of course!

anyone tried it yet?
    i've seen that 'cheese' sauce in H&B Cedar but haven't tried it. i did try a cheese-style sauce from Veganstore and it wasn't very nice so it put me off trying any others. if you try it, let us know what it's like as i'd be interested

I can get Swedish Glace from tescos but only in vanilla. My local H&B have four flavours - strawberry, chocolate, raspberry and of course vanilla.
    The raspberry is lush - just like raspberry ripple.

Default Tofutti cheese slices in South Australia

Today in the supermarket I was explaining to a vego about vegan foods and why some of the Sanitarium faux schnitzel range are not vegan when we came across the tofutti cheese slices with a 'new' sticker on them. I duly bouught some and they taste like what I remember to be that strange plastic cheese slices in plastic wrap that I used to have as a kid. The novelty is interesting and they don't taste bad but I can't see myself getting them for anything other than novelty value.

For Australian readers, Coles stock them - you can get your local store to bring them in if you are really keen for that plastic cheese experience. Somehow I think that Pilot (cockatoo with a former diet of cheese and processed meats) will be getting little bits on special occasions.

Veganblue, I think that Pronto Brontos uses tofutti cheese slices in their burgers. I almost choked when I tried it coz it tasted so real (like dairy) - luckily it wasn't in mine - it was in my boyfriend's burger. I think I didn't like it coz it felt too much like the real thing that it almost frightened me LOL! I could probably get used to it, but I don't really ever miss cheese

It's funny - I missed cheese to begin with but after a year or so it didn't matter - certainly not enough to want to try it or get carried away with replacements. Maybe it could be the vegans practical joker - popping it in things without warning vegans maybe a bit mean...but worth throwing into vegan burgers. "Look! Vegans can eat trashy burgers too...?" Somehow the fact that vegan food that *doesn't* look like Macca's is actually a really great positive.

I carefully picked out dozens of ham pieces from a tomato sauce when I first was staying at a boarding place. I didn't want to offend. Seems I was picking out the smoked soy-bacon bits which I had never come across before...!
    "if compassion is extreme, then call me an extremist"

FR

No vegan cheese compares to Roads End Organics mozzerella chreese packets. I finally tired some yesterday as I bought a box of 12 packets. It is "melty" and "gooey" and is completely perfect for pizza and pasta dishes.

Toffutti is okay as far as taste but the really need to start making their cheese without using hydrogenated oil. Vegan Gourmet is pretty good, but not nearly as good as Roads End Oraganic's mozzerella chreese.

Vegan Rella has a good flavor to it but it does not melt.

I wonder what could be used instead of hydrogenated oil? Possibly coconut? It has naturally saturated fats that set at room temp? If they used poly or mono-unsaturated fats then the oils would possibly come out of the faux-cheese - maybe more lecithen to stabilise the fat and keep it from seperating? Food chemistry is not a forte of mine.

If I remember correctly, the hydrogenated fats are created by bubbling hydrogen through the polyunsaturated fats under pressure and possibly at a high temperature in the presesnce of a catalyst.

The health concerns regarding the resulting saturated fat is that it is a 50/50 mix of molecules that are 'left' or 'right' handed. Natural fats have the biologically active 'handed-ness' while half of the hydrogenated fats have a biologically detrimental shape. I don't know enough to say how or why it is bad but it is possible to find out if anyone is interested.
    "if compassion is extreme, then call me an extremist"

Quote FR
    Toffutti is okay as far as taste but the really need to start making their cheese without using hydrogenated oil.
    I agree - that is the reason why I won't buy a packet of it myself. Having it occassionally in a burger won't kill anyone, but if there is one thing that I go out of my way to avoid, it has to be hydrogenated fats. I don't mind a little sugar or fat, but definately not hydrogenated. It would also be nice if toffutti fortified there stuff with calcium to give it some nutritional value.

Quote Gorilla
    i don't think any of the local supermarkets do any vegan cheese, yet.
    Sainsbury's did their own dairy free soft cheese spread a year or two ago, but for some reason they've discontinued it, and at least some Tesco stores sell cheezly.

I don't mind the melting cheezly on toast occasionally, but I don't like non melting varieties and I love anything by Toffuti. The mozzarella style slices are good. I tried the country vegetable style cream cheese recently and thought it was delicious.

Quote celtic rose
    I can get Swedish Glace from tescos but only in vanilla. My local H&B have four flavours - strawberry, chocolate, raspberry and of course vanilla.
    The raspberry is lush - just like raspberry ripple.
    Swedish Glace have a new caramel flavour out now.

PolluxStar

I haven't tried any cheese itemz yet

All I have had is tofutti in a pasta dish.

I've only recently buying meatless productz , I've only been eating rice n stuff lol!

Default Chreese

I just ordered these from cruelty free shop. Are they any good? I got mozzarella & cheddar. Any suggestions for use (besides nachos coz that is a request from my boyfriend!)

Default Re: Chreese

NOOOOOOOO! I find this stuff tastes like extremely salty gloop! It's awful Banana.

Sorry

Crap - we were planning on nachos tomorrow night. I guess I will still try it and will give the verdict

Hi banana,

I had some last night, the mozzerella style. I thought it was nice, a bit salty. I just used one packet on top of a pizza. I think its fine if you dont use more than one packet! well I liked it anyway!!!
    'Never eat more than you can lift' - 'Miss Piggy' :p

i agree with roxy, bleugh!!
    sorry banana

FR

I love it. You can use it for pizza, pasta dishes, and grilled chreese sandwiches. I always mix it with plant milk (I use soy) instead of water when making it.

:-d I just posted a recipe for a "decent" cheese recipe in the recipe section of this forum. I've used it quite a bit and vegans and non-vegans loved it every time I make it. Unless you just want to buy it.
    Ileana

Cmon guys - chreese isn't that bad! It isn't anything to rave about, it just tastes like a nutritional yeast mixed with spices. It added something to my nachos

*shrugg* I wasn't that amazed by it. I liked my home made stuff better. But if you don't mind the taste of it, its cool. I make many variations of the cheese recipe i found in a book many years ago. And I li ke it.

Ileana

FR

I think Road's End Organics "chreese" tastes better than the homemade versions I have tried (including my own). Like I said, I always mix it with soymilk as opposed to water, though.

You just haven't tried my version of it.
    To each their own. Send me some of the stuff (chreese) and I'll try it out.

Ileana