Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegan cheese - any good?

Default re Swedish Soft

Quote Gorilla
    i've been looking for their cream cheese but can't seem to find it anywhere.
    According to the Vegetarian mag, Swedish Soft is making a return to supermarket shelves. Original and garlic and herbs being the two flavours. It's available from larger Sainsburys already it says, and other supermarkets soon.

Default Re: Vegan cheese - any good?

thanks gert, must have missed your post i've only just seen it my nearest Sainsbury's is pretty big so i'll have to look out for it there.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Redwood melting Cheezly seems to have got a lot better all of a sudden - i don't know if they've changed the recipe recently but i think it's better and my boyfriend and a friend of mine agree. it seems to melt to a nicer consistency and tastes a bit more cheesy (and less plasticy!) to me. i've made some fantastic lunches with it recently - 'cheese' and pickle on toast, 'cheese' and 'ham' pannini and veggie burger with melted 'cheese'

now if only they could get it to melt like real cheese without having to put it under the grill - i'm holding out for cheesy baked beans and jacket potato! the beans and potato tend to dry out or burn before the Cheezly has melted very much in my experience.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Hey, I'm currently looking for vegan cheese (preferably shredded, but any can do) you can buy in Hong Kong (not online and have it sent here). I've looked around but there aren't any and my father says there is no such thing in Hong Kong. Is that really true or not? There are a lot of imports. Can anyone help me, please? I'd appreciate it a lot.

Hi username (great username by the way )

I don't know the answer but if you look on here http://www.happycow.net/asia/china/hong_kong/ some healthfood shops are listed - maybe you could visit or ring round to see if they have what you're looking for?

Hey, thanks, harpy. That'll do for now. It takes like half an hour to get to Central - not too bad. I'll ring them up first though. Thanks again, I really hope they have the cheese I want. I guess they might even have a bunch of other good things too.

Good luck. You never know, if they don't have it you might be able to persuade them to get some. You could point out that there are lots of people avoiding dairy products these days, not only vegans.

Missed the mention of the Swedish Soft being back in supermarkets.

Just bought some from Sainsbury, thanks to a heads-up from Nadine
    Very nice it was, too, on a spelt cracker.

Just bought some Follow Your Heart cheese at the Co-op. It is mozeralla and I had it on a vegan sandwich they serve there. It seemed good to me. I am thinking of adding some to my lasagna recipe.

I found non-hydrogenated Toffuti cream cheese today! I haven't tried it yet - probably tomorrow.

Yummmm.... Tofutti cream cheese! Love that stuff. Have to watch out for it though. I will not eat anything without it if I have it in the house.

jane,
    i am so jelous of you- a co-op & ann arbor, i lived there until i was 4, when my dad was at u of m. so close yet so far away.

you must have had the cross your heart mozz., i tried their "cheddar" and it was the most disgusting vegan experience of my life

Ahhh, mophoto!!!! Wish you were here...I would take you out for a good vegan dinner! Well I'm not much of an authority on the taste of cheese but this mozz was edible. It is sitting in the fridge waiting for me to use it in something. I have this thing about working new foods into my diet.

I willl beware the cheddar !!!!!

grilled mozzerela, tomato and basil-

Talking Re: Vegan cheese - any good?

ohhhhh...ymmmmmm. me loves tomatoes and basil....

I just bought some Parmazano dairy free parmesan "cheese" made by Florentino.
    It looks like parmesan and the taste is really not too bad, a bit too salty but doesn't make me run away screaming like most vegan cheeses, I think a little would go a long way if I was desperate for a bit of cheesy pasta - Rating: Not bad, quite cheesy but use sparingly
    Silent but deadly :p

I find that Parmezano works very well in pesto.

tabitha

vegan cheese?! gag!!! ok if you close your eyes, have a good imagination and cover it with lots of strong tasting stuff.

Ooh, no, I LOVE it!!! That cheezly stuff is brilliant, I have really taken to it easily. I don't eat it straight, but then I never did, but for cheeze on toast, or on pizza, or sprinkled over pasta etc, it's brilliant, I don't mind it as a substitute at all.

tabitha

Its the texture as well

Default cheeeeeeeese, ah!

Hi everyone!

Ok, Ive got a vegan cheese question. The other weekend I bought some vegan gourment cheddar and abs. hated the consistency!! it was horrid, and it didnt melt at all. I was so disappointed b/d I heard it was actually good. I was wondering if the gourmet kind was the best out there, (since thats what I've heard). What about veganrella? I heard it melts well but what about the flavor and consistency?
    Be thankful for this moment, this moment is your life:)

Default Re: cheeeeeeeese, ah!

I love cheese c that is what made it hard for me to become veggie. but i hate veggie cheese it's awful... but i hav'nt tryd all so there might be some out there good. i know this was kinda off a little...
    100% Vegan 100% Supporting Animal Rights 4Lyfe

I too was disappointed in vegan gourmet. glad to find someone else that was, too! my dogs wouldn't even eat it since then i have steered clear from cheese. if you find anything better let me know

haha ya it was sick! have u tried veganrella?
    Be thankful for this moment, this moment is your life:)

yea me too please
    100% Vegan 100% Supporting Animal Rights 4Lyfe

Quote strawberry
    haha ya it was sick! have u tried veganrella?
    nope- any good?

I have tried just about everything out there, including making my own, but it all tastes nasty. I have made peace with the fact that I just don't really NEED the cheese on anything, it was more of a leftover craving from before I became Vegan. Now, I love nothing more than a pizza with no cheese on it, just load up the fresh veggies on top and bake!

Unhappy Re: Vegan cheese - any good?

I miss cheese soooooooooo much. The only one I haven't managed to find in my stinky little city is Toffuti slices and spread. The slices smell like that off sour smell cheese gets......I didn't even attempt at tasting them. I wonder if I just got an off packet ?? It is the only vegan cheese that anywhere here stocks. How pathetic.

I miss yoghurt , ice cream and chocolate even more!! The soy yoghurt available here just doesn't do it for me and the 2 types of soy ice cream available here are disgusting. Ohhhhhh and I won't even get started on the soy chocolate. Does anyone have a recipe for make-it-yourself vegan ice cream or chocolate??

[ i'm such a whinger ]

I don't have any problem finding vegan chocolate here in the US.

What is soy chocolate, is that different? Lots of regular dark chocolate is dairy-free and vegan all on it's own.

I am not famillar with Australian brands, or if you have these there, but I like Green and Blacks, Dagoba, and Newmans Own Organics. Not all varieties are vegan, so you have to check. Also, Ritter Sport makes an amazing dark chocolate marzipam that is vegan and Ghiradelli makes one kind of chocolate chip that is vegan. I believe Green and Blacks and Ritter are german companies and Dagoba, and Newmans Own are american. I am not sure about Ghiradelli, that is probably american too.

These brands are not so much marketed as "vegan" as they are just marketed as damn good chocolate!

FR

Weird, I have no problem getting Vegan Gourmet to melt. I also LOVE all the flavors of it. Awesome stuff for sure. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than cow cheese garbage.

Here we have a whole lot of real chocolate available that is vegan. Cow milk chocolate is some nasty, diluted stuff for sure, nothing like the real thing.

FR

Quote Roxy
    I found non-hydrogenated Toffuti cream cheese today! I haven't tried it yet - probably tomorrow.
    That is great stuff. I wonder why they don't offer non-hydrogenated soy cheese slices?

I also found that Lindt Dark Chocolate is vegan, allthough a little bitter, some may like that.

And the girl at Oskri Organics told me their Dark Chocolate Chips were vegan...they are huge quarter-sized buttons more than "chips" but that doesn't stop me from making banana muffins with them!

Quote Wildflower
    I also found that Lindt Dark Chocolate is vegan, allthough a little bitter, some may like that.
    I thought it had butterfat in the last time I looked.

FR

It's a miracle that the Monterey Jack flavored Vegan Gourmet cheese has been sitting in my frige for a week now without getting devoured. It's so good; I could eat the whole block by itself.

*** on a sidenote, why is frige spelled as fridge if refrigerator is not spelled as refridgerator? I don't care, I am spelling it as frige.

Quote FR
    *** on a sidenote, why is frige spelled as fridge if refrigerator is not spelled as refridgerator? I don't care, I am spelling it as frige.
    Probably for the same reason that the past tense of panic is panicked: for pronunciation. Seeing the word "frige" makes me think "freege", and "paniced" looks like "panised".
    "Man can do as he wills, but not will as he wills" - Arthur Schopenhauer

Are the Toffuti cheese slices any good? (I don't care about trans fat) I'm looking for something to add to a sandwich.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

FR

I like them, but a lot of people don't. I like making grilled cheese sandwiches with them. They are also killer on pizza.

Mmm, oh yea. I forgot about grilled cheese.

What do you they taste like? Do they taste like processed Kraft cheese (which what I'm looking for)?

FR

I'm not sure. I've never had Kraft. I can't really describe the taste aside from being sort of sweet unlike vegan gourmet which has more of a sharp taste. I think they taste great.

Has anyone tried recipes from the Ultimate Uncheese Book? It's by Joanne Stepenik (sp?). Some of them look promising. I want to try to make the crock cheese.

FR

I need to get that book. The only homemade cheese I've made were nutritional yeast based. Apparently she has some almond cheese and other recipes. I would love to make a homemade block cheese using things other than nutritional yeast (don't get me wrong, I love nutritional yeast, yum!).

I got that book for my sister (who's allergic to cheese), but photocopied a few recipes before giving her the book. The nacho cheese dip is sooooooooooo good. I made it with almond milk because I was out of soymilk, but I think with soymilk it would be EXCELLENT. The broccoli cheese casserole would be good except it was saltier than I could ever have imagined, and I used half the salt that the recipe called for! I didn't like the broccoli cheese soup either, but I'm still looking forward to making the curried cauliflower soup. You probably won't like all the recipes in the book, but some are amazing, so I recommend it for sure.

Oh yeah! I sooooo want to get that book too! I haven't had ANY cheese or cheese subs since I went vegan (almost a year and a half ago)...so hopefully my taste buds won't be able to notice the differences.

I've tried tofutti slices which I found to be just like the sort of processed cheese you'd get to put in a burger.

At the moment I have redwoods melty cheese for pizza, and cheddar style and garlic & herb, both of which I find good on a cracker with some pickle.

Oh, I tried tofutti cream cheese too, garlic & herb, quite liked the flavour but the aftertaste was a killer.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

FR

I personally enjoy noticing the difference, but I prefer the taste of vegan cheese so I am happy there is a difference. If vegan cheese tasted the same as cow cheese, I wouldn't eat it.

a didgeridoo

Quote Wildflower
    Also, Ritter Sport makes an amazing dark chocolate marzipam that is vegan
    didn’t realise that was vegan. i love it and I’m buying some tomorrow now. Thanks Wildflower!!

I just finished off some Follow Your Heart mozz. It took me almost a month to eat the 10 oz. of it. I kept forgeting I had it and just didn't put it on anything much. I hear the Follow Your Heart cheddar is really bad but this mozz was ...ok.

Island Naturals is finally stocking the Follow Your Heart cheese (they must have listened to what I wrote on a comment card ). They also FINALLY got in some Yves veggie pepperoni. So I bought some organic whole wheat flour, and I'm going to make some homemade pepperoni pizza with extra cheese in the next couple days.

The Vegan Rella was okay on pizza, but not as good as Follow Your Heart. However, it was really good when I used it for mozzarella sticks a while back. I put the recipe in the What did You Eat Today thread, but I should put it in the Recipe forum as well. Dipped in pizza sauce or vegan ranch dressing, they taste almost like real mozzarella sticks!

Is that Earth Island brand too? What does the packaging look like?

Yep, It's also known as Earth Island. It looks like this. It doesn't even say Follow Your Heart on it anymore, except in tiny writing in the URL on the back ( www.followyourheart.com ). But yeah, that's the same stuff. It's SO good on pizza, especially with veggie pepperoni