Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Vegan cheese - any good?

trudatman

Default Re: All vegan cheese tastes like crap ?

oh, and ask the restaurant what type of cheeze they use. they'll tell you.

thanks and True Dat!
    Do the Vegan Boogie!!

Vegan_baby

Quote bugaboo View Post
    oh hey Vegan Baby. I just went to Montreal for vacation in May and I found it difficult to find a place that had vegan food. I ate at Le Commensal almost every meal, but, even there, I found it hard to find something vegan. You must not eat out at all, eh?

I notice the Quebecois are much more dairy oriented than other Canadians.
    Dairy is huge in Quebec. I almost never eat out. Next time you're in Montreal, there is a store next to Toys'r'us in brossard called Tau, they are montreals best bet for vegan food.

My son eats vegan too and believe me the "dairy industry" is after him constantly here. Lucky we don't take any crap from anyone

ps. also, the next time you're in montreal you have to stop in at the "Sky".

Question Re: Vegan cheese - any good?

Hi everyone, I've been vegetarian since the beginning of the year and have always wanted to take the next step to veganism and I've finally done it :d I'm loving the variety of food but I'm struggling to find a substitute for cheese! I've tried vegan cheese and to me it tastes like plastacine lol. Is there any good cheeses out there, or wat can you use instead for example, to melt on paninis or grate onto jacket potatoes or pasta bakes? Thanks

Default Re: Vegan cheese - any good?

personally i didn't enjoy cheese substitutes until a long time after i went vegan. try to think less about replacing cheese and more about enjoying non-dairy substitutes as foods in their own right. they taste better when the memory of eating cow cheese is less fresh in the mind. good luck.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

well put Gorilla, totally agreed! I hated the fake cheese at first but now I found one that I really like, but I live in the states so ya...
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

Yeah thanks...I do view a lot of vegan products as foods in their own right but it's hard with cheese lol! I'll look out for some and try them all until I find one lol. If not I'm sure I'll get over it Thanks for your help xxxx

sarah - I agree with gorilla, however i started with the vegan parmesan, which is very different to parmesan but sprinkled (sparingly) on pizza or over spag bol/ pasta is very acceptable.

I have sound that using small amounts of vegan mozzarella is acceptable now that my tastes have changed, and the toffuti cream cheeses are brilliant, just like I remember soft cheese to be like.

my favourite cheese is the toffuti cheese slices ( cheddar ones)- they are so nice - just like good cheese slices, I use those on jacket potatoes instead of 'hard' cheese and its really cheesy.

good luck

nicola
    Last edited by pudding06; Sep 21st, 2007 at 11:22 AM. Reason: mi typing is **it today

Does nobody like those redwood cheezy cheese slabs?! Just me then, very yummy.
    Use adrenaline as your drug of choice

i like em..meltin mozzerella.. yum.
    the first time i tried thought it was rank..now even the hardcore omnivore in our house gets overexcited for a vegan pizza made with this stuff.
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

Quote daines View Post
    Does nobody like those redwood cheezy cheese slabs?! Just me then, very yummy.
    i like Redwood cheese, but i wouldn't eat a big chunk of it on its own like i used to with cow cheese. i need it to be mixed with other strong flavours for it to be palatable.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Yes, I like cooking with the Redwood stuff but am not very keen on eating it on its own.

That reminds me, I've still got that jar of their fake feta that I bought at the vegan fair staring at me from the fridge...

I've also got some fake parmasan at the back of my cupboard. I stocked up on it in the UK and didn't like it. There don't seem to be any vegan cheeses in France and so I've never cooked with any just eaten some in England which I wasn't that keen on.

Quote harpy View Post
    That reminds me, I've still got that jar of their fake feta that I bought at the vegan fair staring at me from the fridge...
    hmmm, i was craving a Greek salad the other day, and was wondering if it was worth buying any of that or just leaving the cheese out altogether! did you try making a Greek salad with it, harpy?

Well, I haven't actually opened it yet so I could try that, Gorilla. When they made it before I used to use it for spinach-and-feta pies (but actually their ordinary fake cheese is just as good for that).

i've made myself a Greek salad for lunch today with the Cheezly feta. i just put some cherry tomatoes, green salad leaves and chopped red onion in a box and emptied the entire tub of Cheezly over it. i think i have way too much oil on it, it's quite greasy, i'll drain the Cheezly first next time. it's still very nice however. no olives though, i hate olives.

Oh good - will give that a try but follow the oil-draining tip.

Manufacturers seem quite generous with oil in jars of sun-dried tomatoes etc as well - I suppose they have to cover the stuff properly to preserve it. I never know how to dispose of the leftover oil, unless it's olive oil in which case it can be saved for the next salad.

Yeah I've had both the mozarella and american flavour tofutti vegan cheese slices and they are delicious! especially on some vegan bread w/tomato sauce! mmm

My pseudo feta was a couple of days past its sell-by date so I ended up putting it into the aforementioned feta and spinach pie with filo pastry, which worked well. I will try and find some more to make a salad - didn't fancy it "raw" when it was past its prime

probably wise harpy, although i suppose the oil it's swimming in probably helps preserve it a little. glad it worked well in the pie!

Yes, you're probably right about the oil, Gorilla. I knew I was going to be sitting through a 2h40m-with-no-loo-interval opera last night so I thought I'd better err on the side of caution

haha

Jippia

I found Redwood's Cheezly and I liked it very much. I like all of their products I have tasted so far. I am even willing to travel to another town for that. I am currently finding myself liking Tofutti Cheddar slices, but only on a grilled sandwich with vegan salami so far. They have a rather sweet taste and I really had to get used to that. Dutch cheeses are saltier. I quite like them now.

alessioisonfire

never tried them because some of the ingredients listed look a bit nasty.
    normally if i make pizza i use cheezly mozzarella and it's delicious.
    i've seen it being used at a vegetarian/vegan place here in berlin that does vegan pizza, which is where i actually found out which kind of vegan cheese it was

I love tofutti cream cheese. tubs and tubs of this stuff go in my house.
    that's about it.
    But I have bought this white packaged sandwich cheese that's good in a sandwich but NOT on its own. I don't know what brand it is, but I think the label was purple? All I remember is that it said VEGAN on it.
    Either this wallpaper goes, or I do.

I tried the tofutti herb cheese spread. OH MY GOD it is so good. I eat it on bagels all the time yum. It's the only Soy cheese product I like. everything else tastes kinda gros

toffutti mozzarella slices on toast mmm mmm mm mmmm mmmmmm that's scrummy with a little ketchup and herbs and stuffs

Talking Re: Vegan cheese - any good?

Hi Bute isle the blue cheese flavour me and my freind love it can eat raw smells amazing my meating and veggie family hate it but i love it amazin with vegan pesto and olives and wheat free pasta and tomatoes oh and also love toffti french onion cream cheese spread or redwoods melting mozzerella but prefer Bute Island

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Charlie xxx

well, i think the blue flavour tastes like plastic! there you see it again, tastes are very different, especially when it comes to vegan cheese ;-)
    http://vegangothfairy.wordpress.com

have to say redwood is far inferior to tofutti

Quote bradders View Post
    have to say redwood is far inferior to tofutti
    I was going to say "rubbish!" then I realised that was rude... but I do respectfully disagree, as I think all tofutti has a weird aftertaste.
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Buddha Belly

Quote bradders View Post
    toffutti mozzarella slices on toast mmm mmm mm mmmm mmmmmm that's scrummy with a little ketchup and herbs and stuffs
    Its called poor mans pizza. It's quite a delicacy in my flat

nah never, the tofutti mozzerella on toast with a little ketchup
    hmmmmmm

i still think there are some good ones of redwood, like garlic&herbs or edam or gouda or the feta. there are also some nice of bute island.

somehow it feels like the vegan cheese taste thing is the same with starwars or star trek. either you like the one or the other and there a few that like both.

to that I reply STAR TRECK

replicators that mean animals no longer need to be harmed

ditto....

I could do the whole explanation for proving witches to be witches (wood burns and witches burn therefore witches are made of wood, wood floats and if women float they must be made of wood and are therefore witches)

by the same method:
    I find tofutti mozzarella to be far superior to redwood. I also find Star Trek far superior to Star Wars. You find Star Trek far superior to Star Wars therefore you agree that Tofutti Mozzarella is far superior to Redwood.

But then I would never do that

I have been living of cheezly on toast for the past two days, best 2 days ever!

Quote bradders View Post
    I could do the whole explanation for proving witches to be witches (wood burns and witches burn therefore witches are made of wood, wood floats and if women float they must be made of wood and are therefore witches)

by the same method:
    I find tofutti mozzarella to be far superior to redwood. I also find Star Trek far superior to Star Wars. You find Star Trek far superior to Star Wars therefore you agree that Tofutti Mozzarella is far superior to Redwood.

But then I would never do that
    u´re right, i prefer star trek to star wars, i also like tofutti, but rather the cheddar style and honestly, i like the redwood gouda style slices more. i thought at the preferations of redwood and bute island, actually.

Just tried cheddar FYH vegan gourmet...I loved it! It had way more flavor than the cheese we used to buy when I wasn't vegan. Yeah, the texture was different cutting it, but that was it. Have yet to try melting it, but I hear it melts well.

I have just had my first craving for vegan cheese! normally I have it when I think, oh in my prevegan days I would have had some cheese on toast or something. But just now what I really really wanted was some cheezly on toast. Even though there is no way for me to get any vegan cheese this weekend I'm so happy!

i wanted some Cheezly last night but Holland & Barrett didn't have any, so i bought Tofutti mozzarella slices instead, because i know some people on here have mentioned that they really like it.

big mistake - the worst thing was the smell - it smells like someone ate some sweaty feet and then threw up on some more sweaty feet. seriously, the smell nearly made me want to throw the whole packet away. it was just awful on its own and only very slightly improved by hiding it in bolognese.

GAH!

Yes, i also tried the tofutti slices and didn't like them, so i'm gonna stick to cheezly mozzarella.
    I bought some cream sheese with chives recently and that was pretty good, but i've stuck half of it in the freezer because i can't get through it all before it goes off. Hope its ok when i defrost it.

that would be interesting to know if the cream cheese suffers from freezing. i always have to struggle with these large pots.

I like tofutti mozzarella slices.

When did Cheezly change it's packaging? It looks like the rolls I've seen of Teese. Last week I bought it in the round flat pack and today I went to the same health food shop and found the nacho cheese version (new to me) looking like this:

cupcakekitteh.blogspot.com

^ i've never seen it in packaging like that, maybe it's a new version for sale in Australia.

Pure (the vegan margarine makers, that's in most UK supermarkets, are advertising on the inside of their tubs(the waxy paper inner) that they will be selling some new cheeses. I'm assuming vegan! Looked like a cheese spread and slices.
    Anyone seen them in the shops? I can't see anything about them on the website.

.....I checked the Pure label again.....

There is another one, 'chunky triangles' like a soya version of dairylea triangles...woo-hoo!!!