Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegan cheese - any good?

Default Vegan cheese - any good?

has anyone tried the tofutti cheese slices? if so what do u think of them? i think theyre delicious!

I tried them a while back and have to say I didn't like them, although I can't remember why. Maybe I should give them another go.

Everything else by Tofutti I really like so perhaps I was having an off day

I was disappointed with the white slices. I wanted them to be more like mozzarella. They were not that way to me. On pizza they were drippy instead of stretchy. There was none of that subtle monzo taste. It was like gloppy tofu. For pizza I prefer the Tofutti cream cheeze with herbs and vegan Parmesan mixed in the same way you would make lasagna cheeze which I put in globs on the sauce instead of trying to top the sauce with cheeze. I then put a light sprinkle of Parmesan over the vegetables I put on the pizza. Not exactly traditional but a good pie none the less.

The yellow made a lovely toasted cheeze sandwich. It was good with a smear of mustard and a sprinkle of sundried tomato bits. For the sandwich the melt was right. Unlike many other vegan cheeses Tofutti does melt nicely.

I use the orange-coloured toffuti slices. They are okay I suppose, for grilled cheese sandwiches or if you like a slice of cheese on your vege burger. I haven't tried them any other way.

Roxy

the white ones are hard to get used to but good grilled! and i just put an orange slice in pasta i made last night and it melted and made it all gooey and yummy. the orange slices are also good just out of the package, on toast, with lettuce and mustard. very yummy

Quote foxytina_69
    the white ones are hard to get used to but good grilled! and i just put an orange slice in pasta i made last night and it melted and made it all gooey and yummy. the orange slices are also good just out of the package, on toast, with lettuce and mustard. very yummy
    Haha, "hard to get used to", I like that! They're the ones I tried. They put me off trying the orange ones. I'll give 'em a go next time I see some for sale. Mmm mustard.

Vile, vile, nasty things.

Okay, okay, they were probably okay enough. They tasted an awful lot like American processed cheese (Velveeta, etc.), which is fine if you don't know any different, but ...

We binned what was left of ours. :-(

tofutti is the only vegan cheese i'll eat besides follow your heart (and you can't find that stuff around here). the american slices are pretty good, and work well for veggie burgers. i just made a vegan spinach and cheese omlet a couple days ago. the tofutti slices worked really well for it.

you just have to realize that there will probably never be cheese alternatives that taste just like cheese. but it's been so long since i've had the real thing that i can't really remember what it tastes like.

Quote mattd
    it's been so long since i've had the real thing that i can't really remember what it tastes like.
    i aggree

Quote mattd
    tofutti is the only vegan cheese i'll eat besides follow your heart (and you can't find that stuff around here). the american slices are pretty good, and work well for veggie burgers. i just made a vegan spinach and cheese omlet a couple days ago. the tofutti slices worked really well for it.

you just have to realize that there will probably never be cheese alternatives that taste just like cheese. but it's been so long since i've had the real thing that i can't really remember what it tastes like.

vegan spinach & cheese omelette sounds good! recipe please mattd!

Quote cedarblue
    vegan spinach & cheese omelette sounds good! recipe please mattd!
    Yeah, so long as it isn't:

Ingredients: Spinach
    Directions: Fry

I like both flavors. It's pretty good.

Quote Cloudy
    Yeah, so long as it isn't:

Ingredients: Spinach
    Directions: Fry

oh! picky, picky, picky!!
    i was assuming it wasn't too! - as for your recipe -

anyway, mattd, wheres the recipe for us to (maybe) try!!!!

There is only one vegan cheese to buy here (not even in the ordinary store though, where we buy food, but in a small health food shop that only have like 3-4 packs - when they have them... a lot of times they don't.) and it's tofutti in an orange color. I have to like them, otherwise I would only have one thing to put on bread - tofu. Most of the time i don't have any of that cause they (the health food store) don't have it a lot. Grrrrrrrr I feel discriminated, these meat eaters have soooo much to choose between and I have almost nothing.... No yoghurt or anything, I'm so tired of this special treatment. And we're paying for it too!! (tax) (To the agriculture that make bad food, so they can sell it cheaper)
    Auschwitz begins wherever someone looks at a slaughterhouse and thinks: they're only animals.
    -Theodor Adorno (1903-1969), German Jewish philosopher forced into exile by the Nazis

I really didn't like the cheese slices - they taste really chemically to me. I had to drown out the taste with lots of tomato and pepper and even then they weren't that great. Also they got runny when cooked which annoyed me a lot.

Talking new better cheese slices! lol

i just wanted to mention, that since having the tofutti cheese slices, i just tried a new brand and their cheese is amazing. i noticed the tofutti cheese slices did have a chemical taste to them, but this cheese tastes just like chedder cheese and velveeta mixed together. its got that grainy taste that chedder does. heres the link if anyones interested!

http://www.galaxyfoods.com/soyco.html#6

they have a section on "where to buy"

is that the soymage cheese slices? everything i've tried by that company is not good at all. it usually smells good, but has that really bad soy cheese gritty aftertaste to it. but, i have yet to try their slices. maybe i'll give it a try.

yes its the soymage slices. i really liked them! theyre the closest thing to cheese ive tasted in a long time.

Default Redwood melty cheese

Anyone had some of that "new super melty" Redwood cheese? Bought some this weekend but not had the chance to see if it works or not yet. Fingers crossed!

Yes, I've had it and it did melt in a realistic manner when put on bread and toasted. I can't say pseudo-cheese is my favourite thing to eat but it's nice to know it's there.

Where did you get yours? It's really hard to get round here and I ended up doing a bulk order over the web (from www.goodnessdirect.co.uk if anyone's interested - you can also order direct from www.redwoodfoods.co.uk but with goodnessdirect I was able to get the carriage costs down to £3 by ordering £30 worth of assorted groceries).

Quote harpy
    Where did you get yours?
    I got it from an organic/healthfood/vegetarian type place in Brighton. Although come to think of it, it's one of the best of that type of shop I've ever been in.

Just remembered now I've forgotten to put it in the fridge last night when I got back. Hopefully it'll be ok!

Not Infinity Foods? I love that place.

A Redwoods person told me that independent health food shops are the most likely to have it - they are "in negotations" with Holland & Barrett about whether they will stock it, apparently.

Just remembered now I've forgotten to put it in the fridge last night when I got back. Hopefully it'll be ok!
    ...or already melted. You can't lose

Quote harpy
    Not Infinity Foods? I love that place.
    Aye, that's the place, couldn't remember the name! The whole area is pretty good down there - there's the vegetarian shoes shop, and the red veg fast food place as well, plus loads of great shops.

And now I'm back at work, grumble grumble

Yes, and there's also the Infinity Foods cafe, just opposite Vegetarian Shoes. (I take it it's still there?)

I don't like to go back to that branch of Red Veg as we had an embarrassing incident which involved my other half accidentally covering himself, me and most of the surrounding area with noodles Fortunately the staff were busy arguing among themselves at the time and barely noticed.

Wish IF would open a branch near me! We have health food shops but they are all chains.

Vegan Esquire

Question cottage cheese

Has anyone ever heard of or seen a vegan substitute for cottage cheese? I have been vegan for 7 years, and for 7 years I have been missing cottage cheese.

ConsciousCuisine

i always hated cottage cheese! apparently though crumbled tofu is similar, there are a few recipes for making your own. have a look at this:

veggietable.allinfo-about.com/recipes/tofucheese.html

i also have some recipes in some books i have. i'll look them out for you.

beat me to it ConsciousCuisine!

Vegan Esquire

Default thanks!

Thanks to both of you! I actually bought that cookbook for a friend, but don't own it myself.

Have either of you tried to make this or tasted it?

i've never tried it i'm afraid, as i said i never liked cottage cheese anyway. i've just had a look in my copy of the Salad Scoffer and they have a similar recipe, which i also haven't tried but it goes as follows:

250g very fresh plain tofu
    3-4 tbsp vegan mayonnaise (shop bought or homemade)
    1 Tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley
    generous pinch of salt

Pick up the tofu and squidge it between your fingers for a while until well and truly mashed. Stir in the other ingredients.

Simple eh? BTW to make your own mayo it suggests blending (in an electric blender) 250ml vegetable oil, 100ml soya milk, juice of 1 lemon, 1 tbsp mustard, 1 tsp salt, half tsp pepper and pinch of nutmeg (optional).

Also, the Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook by Joanne Stepaniak. I actually like a lot of her recipes even though I haven't gotten around to trying the cottage cheese recipes.

Default REAL vegan mayo

Quote Gorilla
    i've never tried it i'm afraid, as i said i never liked cottage cheese anyway. i've just had a look in my copy of the Salad Scoffer and they have a similar recipe, which i also haven't tried but it goes as follows:

250g very fresh plain tofu
    3-4 tbsp vegan mayonnaise (shop bought or homemade)
    1 Tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley
    generous pinch of salt

Pick up the tofu and squidge it between your fingers for a while until well and truly mashed. Stir in the other ingredients.

Simple eh? BTW to make your own mayo it suggests blending (in an electric blender) 250ml vegetable oil, 100ml soya milk, juice of 1 lemon, 1 tbsp mustard, 1 tsp salt, half tsp pepper and pinch of nutmeg (optional).

CAN'T GET BETTER THAN
    THIS

Question Vegan Cheese

Hi everyone! I've heard some people on here talking about vegan cheese. I know about the "not vegan" vegan cheese, which has one ingredient that we can't eat in it, and the Instead o' Cheese powder that you mix with oil and water, but, do you guys know of any brands of REAL vegan cheese or places to get them? I'd like to make a vegan pizza sometime or something. Thanks everyone!
    Think occasionally of the suffering in which you spare yourself the sight. -Albert Schweitzer

You can make your own cheese - go into the recipe section to the 'melty pizza cheese' thread (sorry don't know how to link it!)

I occasionally buy Kingland soycheese which is vegan, and has no casein. The downside is that it is rather pricey, but it tastes fine.
    Eve

Tofutti cream cheese is incredible. On a bagel you can't tell the difference, and mixed in recipes you can't either. On some kinds of bread you can tell a bit of difference, and on its own you can too, after a teaspoon or two...
    No Gods, No Masters.

Over here, Redwood Foods do several different flavours of cheezly, including super-melting Cheddar and Mozzarella style slices, and blocks in Edam, Gouda and Mozzarella flavours.

"Heaven on toast!"

Theres also Scheese from Isle of Bute Foods.

I just discovered Vegan Gourmet Cheese Alternative from Follow Your Heart, it tastes great and melts.

mysh, the tofutti here in Oz, contains lactose acid from dairy, as stated on the ingredients listing, despite tofutti's website statement to the contrary. It may be different in the US, because when I was last there, a month or so ago, my daughter gave me tofutti, but I didn't examine the ingredients listing.
    Eve

i used to use vegan cheese, but hardly ever buy the stuff now. it's weird because i thought cheese would be the hardest thing to give up, and now i find vegan substitutes unnecessary especially considering how much they cost. i actually prefer my pizzas without cheese these days, you can taste the veggies better that way

occasionally though i buy some melting Redwood cheese for a change, but it doesn't taste or melt like real cheese despite its adverts. that was one thing which disappointed me when i first went vegan, that the cheese substitutes weren't very authentic. the Tofutti cream cheese is ok, and vegan in the UK i'm pretty sure, but i never liked cow cream cheese so i guess it doesn't taste that similar!

but that's just my very humble opinion
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

i have tried many vegan cheeses over and over again - they are all horrid to me tofutti is nice occasionally, its a bit rich
    i can do without.

wow, Thanks

I use the Soymage mozzarella slices all the time. They make great grilled cheese sandwiches. I didn't like the cheddar, though. It doesn't have much taste.....None of the Soymage cheeses melt well, though. I've still heard that the best vegan cheese is Vegan Gourmet Cheese by Follow Your Heart. I can't find it at my health food store, though....Drat.....

I wish this redneck town had a health food store!

That statement just looks funny with my horses rear for my avatar, LOL! I usually love my redneck town!

Most of my officer's went dear hunting yesterday, Boo on them!

LOL blue.

mmmm i got this cheese today. im using it for cheese and crackers with sweet pickles and vege pate
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

in case anyone has missed it - H & Barrett now sell cheezley block mozzarella 'super melting'. ask your store to get it in if they dont have it.
    (em, this may be old news but its new to me )

Thumbs down

Quote cedarblue
    i have tried many vegan cheeses over and over again - they are all horrid to me
    This is my gripe too. Some rice version I've gotten is tolerable but all the soy types I've tried were absolutely hideous. The only really good one was an almond cheese. It tasted clean and was delicious, high in protein, and disappeared from all stores here over a year ago.
    I am a tangerine ;)

Quote chakra
    This is my gripe too. Some rice version I've gotten is tolerable but all the soy types I've tried were absolutely hideous. The only really good one was an almond cheese. It tasted clean and was delicious, high in protein, and disappeared from all stores here over a year ago.
    I have had the same experience. I tried a few, out of curiosity, that were totally disgusting. I have no desire to try anymore. I don’t miss the taste of cheese at all.