Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Vegan cheese - any good?

Default Re: Vegan cheese - any good?

Well, I actually really like the taste of the super melting Cheezley, though I don't eat it incredibly often. I just thought the Scheese had an overpowering aftertaste and I wasn't that keen on the texture.

I agree Twinkle. I like cheezly but the scheese is pretty odd. It smells funny as well. I tried them cheese slices a few years ago and they were horrible. I think they were the Tofutti ones but never again.

Mmm I made more Cheezly straws:

I am going to try them, they look lovely.

is that jus-roll pastry? do you think it tastes incredibly buttery for something that is supposed to be vegan?! it's a bit rich for me. I bet my hubby would love those cheese straws though

they look good Troutina! my mum made me some cheese pastries last Christmas with Cheezly. she makes her own pastry though, i'm no good at that.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Quote Troutina View Post
    Mmm I made more Cheezly straws:

Wow!

Can you air mail me some?
    Peace, love, and happiness.

How do people find the vegan cheeses raw? We only really have cheesly mozzarella super melting, it's fab on a pizza but that's about all I can really enjoy it on! Might be to do with it having been in the oven or something. My hubby put some 'grated' on top of spaghetti last night, but after a few mouthfuls with the cheesely I just wasn't getting on with it and had to push it off. I'm not too fond of in in a toasted sandwich either, unless it's with something else and quite a small amount.

Quote Tigerlily View Post

Wow!

Can you air mail me some?
    HAHA!
    That would be so horrid...
    Imagine the mess of crumbs that would arrive!!

Quote Jamie View Post
    is that jus-roll pastry? do you think it tastes incredibly buttery for something that is supposed to be vegan?! it's a bit rich for me. I bet my hubby would love those cheese straws though
    I know, its lovely that pastry!
    I think its Jus-roll.
    Mmm I love Cheezly Straws.. such a treat!!

Quote Troutina View Post
    HAHA!
    Mmm I love Cheezly Straws.. such a treat!!
    whats the recipe?
    "An outside enemy exists only if there is anger inside."
    - Lama Zopa Rinpoche

In a saucepan melt some butter and soya milk, put some puff pastry onto a baking sheet and cut into strips. Brush the butter/ milk liquid onto the strips, grate cheezly [I use Gouda, its the best] onto the strips and brush some more of the liquid onto the strips. Bake at around 180c until the cheese has melted and it looks all yummy, take out the oven, cool for as long as you can bare and EAT!

mMmMm I bought some of that cheese stuff yesterday so i'm going to try that, thanks for the recipe!
    -hug-
    ~xx

Let me know how it turns out&post pictures!!

Quote Troutina View Post
    Let me know how it turns out&post pictures!!
    Will do!

On Cumin's recommendation I bought some hickory smoked scheese today. I'd gone in to the health food shop to find some super-melting cheezly, but when there wasn't any I thought I'd go with the suggestion and try it out. Based on my last encounter was scheese, I was expecting it to be disgusting, but the smoked stuff is LOVELY!! I'm shocked! I've been avoiding all scheese all this time!

I work at Papa Johns, and tried some Gauda Cheezly on a pizza, and its so lovely!! Had it with jalapenos&onions. Dont put too much on, but its so much better than having a cheeseless pizza, but without too strong a taste. I would think that most branches would let you take your own cheese in, or if you live near Surbiton [Kingston] pop in and I'll make you a vegan one!

Quote Cherry View Post
    Based on my last encounter was scheese, I was expecting it to be disgusting, but the smoked stuff is LOVELY!! I'm shocked! I've been avoiding all scheese all this time!
    Are you sure you weren't hallucinating?
    Silent but deadly :p

Hallucinating? ? You mean, imagining that I was seeing scheese when it was actually something else, or , urm, hatastilating??

I've had it again since it turned into sheese and I still like it. It's quite strong though. I couldn't eat a lot in one go.

I'm glad you liked it Cherry. They've updated the recipe lately and I think it's even better. Plus the cheddar one is edible now too.
    How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich

i've some stuff with chives in the fridge at the mo, but there's a chance I'm getting 6 packs of cheezly at the weekend, so i may not get round to it
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

got my first packet of cheezly mozzerella melty today..it's like like solidified emulsion paint...was okay grated and stirred into mashed spuds but i don't think it's gonna be a regular buy
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

haha - was it supermelting or not?

i think so? it was white as was the mashed spuds..so i think so..if that doesn't sound too dim of me. i'm gonna try some in a toastie with some tomatoes..maybe some roast veg..and i'm gonna try putting some on pasta (variations of pasta and roast veg etc etc) and pop it in the oven for a bit. might be adventurous and make a lasagne..ohh..i miss those.haven't tried doing white sauce with soya milk cos i was one of those lazy ppl who bought tubs of fresh cheesy sauce for lasagnes...but i think the packet of cheezly might've ran out by then..and i'm not altogetehr sure that i want to buy any more?

i'm provisionally putting cheezly into the same category as brandy snaps..for me personally..i don't see the point..but i'll reserve proper judgment until after i've made some of the above
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

I tried some of the new 'Sheese' soft vegan cheese the other day an to my disappointment it tasted as bad as all the other vegan cheeses I've tried. It looked so promising too. I'm definitely giving up on vegan cheese.

There are no un-cheeses available here. I have tried some, I think by Redwood in the UK and feel that it all tastes chemically..I don't feel good eating it and can't pretend it's normal cheese because that doesn't feel right either..Maybe these new ones are better. I think I have a kind of psychological problem with these cheeses....If that makes any sense.
    I have had some success with the Uncheese cookery book. Because I have actually made them myself I feel better about what's in them..Maybe I'm just a culinary control freak!!

I dont think so auntirozzi, i feel exactly the same... vegan cheese tastes weird... kind of like plastic (not that i eat plastic but still!)... and also they look weird.. i dont think they are a good selling point to promote veganism!

Quote ecoanimal View Post
    I tried some of the new 'Sheese' soft vegan cheese the other day an to my disappointment it tasted as bad as all the other vegan cheeses I've tried. It looked so promising too. I'm definitely giving up on vegan cheese.
    I came across this recently at a local asian store, which surprisingly stocks a massive range of vegan and organic products (much cheaper than most health food stores). Personally, I thought it was so much tastier than the Tofutti stuff, and better still it contains no hydrogenated fats! Although admittedly I can't really remember what it's supposed to taste like...

Also solves the "possible non-vegan sugar" dilemma re Tofutti cream cheese

On another note, I'm not really a big fan of other vegan cheeses, e.g. Cheezly - but has anyone tried the Cheezly cranberry stuff? Any good? I used to love Wensleydale cheese back when I was a veggie...
    "Born on the same planet, Covered by the same skies..."

I've tried the cranberry cheesely, they were giving away samples at the London vegan fest. Can't say I was that impressed, but then I've never been a huge fan of sweet things in cheese anyway. I didn't really like the Scheese soft spread, and prefer the Tofutti, so it seems our tastes aren't that similar and you might like it!

Gauda Cheezly, tomato puree and onions in a toastie, made in a toastie maker.
    SO GOOD!
    Eat it quick and its identical to a real cheese toastie.
    Leave it a little and the cheese goes a bit funny!

You're right Troutina, I definitely think that eating it straight away stops you thinking too hard! If there's any hanging around afterwards it does lose something..

I really liked the cranberry cheezly, on crackers - so yum!

I have found that that the cheezlys seem to need a quite high heat to melt properly. But watch out in your toasties as they can be liquid and boiling hot, and solidify quickly if they spill onto you.

cobweb

^ mmm, cheezly toasties

Does anyone know if Cheezly freezes well on Pizzas?. I'm wondering about making a load but I'd hate to waste any.

I'd leave it off personally, then add it when you defrost.

cobweb

probably the best idea

Not wanting to disrespect vegan cheese in a vegan cheese thread, but sometimes pizza is better without it. To me pizza is about fantastic bread and being able to taste the fantastic toppings. Drowning out this with cheese seems somewhat of a waste to me.

cobweb

Yes, pizza can be lovely just with vegetables, and I like homemade bases

However, my son, who has only been vegan for around 18 months, wants to try a vegan pizza with cheese. He's a VERY picky eater so this is the third time of trying, I do hope now he has forgotten the taste/texture of cow cheese he might just like Cheezly...........we need another dish to add to his list!

Also, he disliked my homemade base before so I've bought some of those yukky cardboard type shop-bought ones! .

Fair enough, I've just put half a block of cheezely on a couple of pizzas

Well i guess my question is this. I don't really like the real cheese... the block kind. But i really like the Kraft American singles... which i actually love, but i don't want to eat them... is toffuti cheese like these?
    -Mandee-myspace.com.munkibrains let me know you're from here :D

cobweb

^yep

Jippia

I like the Tofutti cream cheese alternative. I have tried Yakso and Tofutti slices, but I did not like them. I saw Cheezly in a shop in Utrecht, but it was a big block and because I did not like the other brands, I decided not to buy it. Perhaps some other time. Yakso and Tofutti are the most available here. I did like the real thing a lot and the stuff I have tried so far did not match the taste of real cheese.

Mirjam

Vegan_baby

Default All vegan cheese tastes like crap ?

I really doubt a decent vegan cheese even exists....

I tried another "Galaxy foods" cheese tonight and shot another 5$ in the trash. I'll believe it when I see it...

Default Re: All vegan cheese tastes like crap ?

Each to their own I suppose. I don't mind the Tofutti slices for sandwiches and Veganrella for melting.

Vegan_baby

Never saw that one here

which one....the Tofutti slices or the Veganrella?

Vegan_baby

neither actually. I have found tons of "vegetarian cheese" (like what the hell is that anyway) chock full of casein, whey etc etc. They have a million different names for cows milk.

The galaxy foods one was so bad that I sent them an email telling them to wake up.

i dont even try them anymore

any recipes that call for vegan cheese i supplument a crumbled tofu, nut. yeast, & shredded carrot mix wich i find tastes more pleasing than any of the crap out there...
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

Vegan_baby

You're right, it is crap !! Too bad I detest tofu.

I am not a fan of the vegan cheeses, most taste like BS to me. But there is one restaurant where the vegan cheese is amazing.

http://www.veganplaza.com

Their pizza is just amazing and I want to know what kind they use. Do you think it taboo for me to ask a restaurant what kind of vegan cheese they use?

Maybe a vegan place will be more willing to tell me their secret versus a chain restaurant.
    Do the Vegan Boogie!!

oh hey Vegan Baby. I just went to Montreal for vacation in May and I found it difficult to find a place that had vegan food. I ate at Le Commensal almost every meal, but, even there, I found it hard to find something vegan. You must not eat out at all, eh?

I notice the Quebecois are much more dairy oriented than other Canadians.
    Do the Vegan Boogie!!

trudatman

follow your heart is a brand of cheeze that is excellent (I think) and is similar to veganrella (which I haven't had in a while -- years), but better. moz' flavor only, the ched' and 'jack don't get such high reviews at all. try it. report back!