Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegan cheese - any good?

Default Re: Vegan cheese - any good?

Ohhh I love Yves veggie pepperoni! Wound up snacking on it and then had none left for the pizza I was going to use it on...duh.

sugarmouse

its not somethin i eat often but i do liek tofutti slices...they do taste processed to me..plasticy...but different..but i cannot remember what processed real cheese was like!

Quote Yoggy
    Yep, It's also known as Earth Island. It looks like this. It doesn't even say Follow Your Heart on it anymore, except in tiny writing in the URL on the back ( www.followyourheart.com ). But yeah, that's the same stuff. It's SO good on pizza, especially with veggie pepperoni
    OMG! I'm so happy! I heard so much about the Follow Your Heart stuff. Yay, we have it in my grocery store I go to. It's a little pricey--5.99, but I'm going to try it ASAP.

Would it taste okay melted on some nacho chips loaded with salsa, tomatoes, lettuce, and vegan sour cream?
    Peace, love, and happiness.

FR

Did you use the Tofutti slices yesterday, Tiger?

I didn't buy them yet. I have to find them first. My usual grocery store doesn't carry them.

Quote Tigerlily
    Would it taste okay melted on some nacho chips loaded with salsa, tomatoes, lettuce, and vegan sour cream?
    Yep, and they even have a nacho cheese flavour just for that purpose
    "Man can do as he wills, but not will as he wills" - Arthur Schopenhauer

feral

Does anyone know how long the Redwoods fake cheese keeps once opened?

Quote feral
    Does anyone know how long the Redwoods fake cheese keeps once opened?
    I think it says 5 days on the packet, as long as it's kept air tight it should last alot longer though, I've had mine for 2 weeks or maybe longer before.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

feral

Cheers Risker, I couldn't see it on the packet wea my old squinty eyes.

Has anyone tried freezing it?
    I was thinking of grating it and freezing it to sprinkle on home made pizza or toasties.

Im gonna buy some veganrella today! Im nervous that Im going to hate it, considering I hated vegan gourmet. Oh well, I guess its worth a shot!
    Be thankful for this moment, this moment is your life:)

Strawbs - I love Veganrella and I hate Vegan Gourmet. The Veganrella melts so much better and it doesn't have that funky taste like the Vegan Gourmet.

I bought some Vegan Gourmet/Earth Island/Follow Your Heart (whew so many names for the same thing) today. I got the mozzarella flavour as that was the only one available. I had some right now. I wanted to melt it on nacho chips but we had none, so I melted it on crackers. I also shredded some on top of my salad. Hmm, is it just my poor sense of taste (I have chronic sinus problems) or does it taste like nothing?

Quote Roxy
    Strawbs - I love Veganrella and I hate Vegan Gourmet. The Veganrella melts so much better and it doesn't have that funky taste like the Vegan Gourmet.

awesome, thanks Roxy, I'll let you know how I like it. I def. trust you
    Be thankful for this moment, this moment is your life:)

FR

I’ve never been able to get Vegan Rella to melt. What’s your secret, Roxy? It has always come out dried up and hard when I put it in the oven.

I do like the taste of it, though. I like to cut it up in chunks and enjoy it with fresh cut veggies.

I don't think they carry Vegan Rella here.

Quote FR
    I’ve never been able to get Vegan Rella to melt. What’s your secret, Roxy? It has always come out dried up and hard when I put it in the oven.

I do like the taste of it, though. I like to cut it up in chunks and enjoy it with fresh cut veggies.

No secret. It just seems to melt. I usually cook it at lower temperatures for a longer time though, rather than on a high temperature for a short period.

When I make nachos I just melt it under the broiler and it turns out nicely. Sometimes the outside of it does go a bit hard under the broiler but it's always nice and creamy on the inside.

How are you guys melting it? In the oven?

I'm melting mine (Vegan Gourmet) in the microwave (yeah, it's unhealthy to use, I don't care) and it's melting too much! The first time I tried, it melted into a cheesy liquid. Although today for lunch I just melted some on toasted bread in the mircowave for only 20-ish seconds, and it was perfect. Mmmm melted "mozzarella" and tomato sandwich!!

I also think it needs more salt! It's not salty enough, it kind of reminds me more of soft Arabic cheese rather than mozzarella (soft Arabic cheese has a very mild flavour).

i've come to really like soy cheese. but not as a replacement for cheese..as a food in its own right!

i love when this happens to me, cos it means i can appreciate something for what it is..i have to admit, i still crave cheese sometimes..but its getting less and less by the day.

havent bought soy cheese for ages actually :/

I have tried the Redwood Food Company cheddar and mozzarella cheeses - "Cheezly" - but they are kind of ewwwww.... I prefer to go without! I actually thought I would miss cheese a lot but being vegan has totally changed my outlook to certain foods and I honestly don't crave it all.
    "Only after the last tree has been cut down,the last fish caught [and] the last river poisoned;only then will you realise that money cannot be eaten"

FR

I melt Vegan Gourmet quite easily in the oven at a high temperature, like over 500. Toffutti melts well in the oven, too. I've never been able to get vegan rella to melt.

tabitha

I like vegan cheese better than I did, but I still have to heavily disguise it as the texture mags me gag a bit.

Vegan ice cream and yoghurt are very good, but I find all types of vegan cheese to be just bleugh bleugh bleugh! Like you tabitha, the texture makes me gag. I haven't found one that doesn't make me feel like throwing up. I've tried to get used to them but I can't, so I've given up now. I've also tried nutritional yeast which is supposed to taste cheesy. Cheesy feet maybe but nothing resembling actual cheese IMO!

Nutritional yeast just tastes savoury but not cheesy whatsoever.

i tried Scheese for the first time the other day, and it proves my theory - that *most* people who eat cheese substitutes only like either Cheezly or Scheese, rarely both. i like Cheezly, but Scheese was absolutely disgusting. it made me feel sick. stupidly i bought two packs in case one flavour tasted better than the other - i tried the cheddar one and now have an unopened pack of hickory-smoked flavour that i'm really not looking forward to tasting...
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

I melted some chedder veganrella on a veggie burger last night and it turned out pretty good! Still not the same as cheese but I don't miss the stuff anymore.

I LOVE Tofutti French Onion cream cheese.....so good!!
    But for the sake of some little mouthful of flesh we deprive a soul of the sun and light, and of that proportion of life and time it had been born into the world to enjoy.
    Plutarch (in Moralia)

They have french onion cream cheese? I never seen it. I like the herbs and chives.

Ohhhhhhhhhh yes they do and it is awesome

I tried the herbs and chives and its pretty good but I didn't like the aftertaste....
    But for the sake of some little mouthful of flesh we deprive a soul of the sun and light, and of that proportion of life and time it had been born into the world to enjoy.
    Plutarch (in Moralia)

Same here, I thought the flavour was great but it wasn't worth it for me with that awful aftertaste.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

I never had any aftertaste????

EEEEEEEEEEEE!

after a very long search, i managed to find the redwood 'super melting' cheezley, edam style.

its VERY good..really nice taste. i like it much better than the cheddar style one..this one is more creamy tasting. i ate almost half the block in one day, just slicing bits off..mmmm. i am going to make a pizza with it

I never tried real edam cheese before.

I hope someone makes a nice HARD cheese that you can enjoy with crackers.

i havent tried real edam either, so i dont know if it really does taste like it...all i know is that its nice lovely.

just had some corn tortillas which i spread with vegan marg and then put some grated Cheezly mature White Cheddar style on them, rolled them up and put them in the oven for a few minutes, YuM

a didgeridoo

I think your theory is right in general, Gorilla – I might be the exception that proves the rule.
    I’m tending to prefer the melting cheezly now to scheese, though. But I also think the hickory=smoked scheese is by far the best of the scheese range, so maybe you’ll like that one?

Quote Gorilla
    i tried Scheese for the first time the other day, and it proves my theory - that *most* people who eat cheese substitutes only like either Cheezly or Scheese, rarely both. i like Cheezly, but Scheese was absolutely disgusting. it made me feel sick. stupidly i bought two packs in case one flavour tasted better than the other - i tried the cheddar one and now have an unopened pack of hickory-smoked flavour that i'm really not looking forward to tasting...

hmm, i still haven't braved the hickory smoked Scheese yet - but i will post my opinion when i do!
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

never liked scheese, but the cheesly is bloody good, it melts really well!
    Todays empires, tomorrows ashes...

Hi there!

I didnt get on with Cheezly either, tried a few flavours but just can't get used to the taste. I now have toffutti mozzarella style slices, they melt really well on cheese on toast & tastes almost the same as cheese!
    Purple Monkey! :)

i tried them and they were nice. they're full of hydrogenated oils though aren't they? i have to say they melted really well though.
    Todays empires, tomorrows ashes...

FR

I haven't made this yet, but I saw a recipe for plant based Feta cheese. It's in VegNews, June 2006 issue, page 59. Looks good!

Pilaf

I love chreese. I could eat it every day.

VeganJohn

I love Cheezly, although find the Mozarella is a little disappointing taste wise, not a great deal of flavour.

I'd love to try some vegan feta or cottage cheese.

I don't suggest Vegan Rella, it was awful in my opinion.
    ▼Laurin▼

lol - I love veganrella but only in melted form.

The only vegan cheeses I've found are Scheese & Cheezly, neither of which I can stomach. The tofutti cream cheese is pretty nice, but in small doses. They often seem to have a nasty texture & aftertaste & I think I'd rather do without!

is cheese in the US quite different to cheese in the UK or Australia?? Because when I'm trying out recipes that are supposed to be for toasted sandwiches and things, I end up with a bright orange thing that rather mustardy... I tried a recipe for 'gee-wizz' cheese sauce too, which was similar. Is there a lot of tangy orange cheese about in the US or is it just what vegan stuff turns out as????!

And what do people consider the best for a toasted sandwich (esp in a sandwich toaster)? I think I've tried cheezly but found it a bit oily and weird tasting. I had trouble finding scheeze but have tasted some uncooked and didn't really like it. I've mostly been using the tangy orange sauce recipes for the few times I'm made toasties but it doesn't quite hit the spot

North Americans seem to really like processed cheese and cheddar cheeses. Maybe those US-based vegan cheese recipes are trying to immitate that?

I made some vegan cheezly straws with the Gouda cheese:

They were goood!

Brush some melted pure and soya milk onto some ready-rolled rolled out puff pastry. Put grated gouda cheesly on top. Cut into strips and bake for a bit until golden.

hmmm they look nice

I have heard several people raving about how delicious Scheese is recently. I bought a block when I first turned vegan and had to throw most of it away (a rare thing as it was expensive and I was an impoverished student at the time) but I thought I should give it another try as that was nearly 10 years ago, so I've just had some (cheddar flavour) thinly sliced on toast.

Well, it's still not very nice, in my opinion. That is, the first taste is alright, but then it goes into overdrive - it's almost like someone got some of that dried parmesan stuff and bound it together. Think I'm going to try the rest in a tofu and mushroom quiche, see if diluting it a bit makes it any better.

Yes, I don't like vegan cheese either, I've tried Scheeze and Cheezly and not wanting to be overly descriptive here but they smelt like sick!
    I put some on a baked potato once and the smell alone made me feel ill, so now I just stick to red onion and beans on baked potato, it's much nicer.
    Come to think of it the smell of cheese and butter now makes me feel ill too.