Thread: blood pressure/cholesterol issues....?

Default blood pressure/cholesterol issues....?

well, my family has a history of high cholesterol, high blood pressure and heart problems in general. I don't really have to watch out for cholesterol (though I would like to know how much have... just to know.) well, I found out my blood pressure is pretty low. (90/60 normal is 120/80) so I guess that's better than it being high? I don't think I have any problems because of it, but it seems weird that it's so much lower than normal. has anyone else had this problem? is it even a problem? I'm wondering if it's supposed to be higher, but I don't know how to make it higher, or if it needs to be...???
    Overgrow the government!

Seaside

Default Re: blood pressure/cholesterol issues....?

I too have low blood pressure. It is inherited from my mom, and not on account of being vegan, because my mom was not vegan, but had such low blood pressure that her doctor joked about how he couldn't understand why she wasn't in a coma.

I don't know if it is a problem or not, and I would like to find out too! There is so much emphasis on high blood pressure as a problem. I figure since I have low bp I don't have to worry about salt intake, but my salt intake is lower than most people I know anyway. It never seemed to be of concern to my mom.

My partner (very lean vegan ) and his father (extremely overweight omnivore ) both have low blood pressure but it does not seem to cause a problem for either of them.
    A bit rattled

Quote Green_Faery
    well, my family has a history of high cholesterol, high blood pressure and heart problems in general. I don't really have to watch out for cholesterol (though I would like to know how much have... just to know.) well, I found out my blood pressure is pretty low. (90/60 normal is 120/80) so I guess that's better than it being high? I don't think I have any problems because of it, but it seems weird that it's so much lower than normal. has anyone else had this problem? is it even a problem? I'm wondering if it's supposed to be higher, but I don't know how to make it higher, or if it needs to be...???
    Are you underweight?
    It's vegan, which means it's vegetarian which means there's nothing unheathy in it. -- my guy trying to explain vegan junkfood.

no, actually I'm kind of chubby...
    Overgrow the government!

Quote Seaside
    I too have low blood pressure. It is inherited from my mom, and not on account of being vegan, because my mom was not vegan, but had such low blood pressure that her doctor joked about how he couldn't understand why she wasn't in a coma...
    ...I don't know if it is a problem or not, and I would like to find out too!
    It's nothing to worry about Seaside. I've read that people with very low blood pressure are generally healthier than those with 'normal' blood pressure. As long as you're not feeling faint or dizzy (which can happen with low blood pressure), it's not a problem, and is probably a benefit to you.

http://www.bpassoc.org.uk/informatio...d_pressure.htm

oh, that makes me feel better! I didn't feel like I was having any kind of problems with dizziness, etc. but I was wondering if there was something wrong since it was so low... (still wanting to get cholesterol checked though... I can't imagine it would be very high with the lack of meat cheese eggs, etc.)
    Overgrow the government!

You *do* have quite low blood pressure but it could be that you have a fit cardiovascular system. Each time your heart beats you are exerting 10mg less pressure than the average heart which is good also. When the difference between the high and the low is greater than 40mg, it is something to worry about due to the strain on your heart and blood vessels.

So long as you are not experiencing any of the light-headedness referred to above then I would not be concerned. I am a very slight build, quite fit, very low cholesterol, moderate to low salt intake, use meditation to stop anxiety or stress and exercise regularly so I expect my blood pressure to be low - and it is! Just ensure that you are well hydrated.
    "if compassion is extreme, then call me an extremist"

cross barer

Is it true there are no cholesterol sources in the vegan diet? In first year bio one of my lecturers said he avoids low cholesterol foods because you need them for protein synthesis.

Since we are on the topic of low blood pressure I also have a question.
    My blood pressure has always been quite low with a slower heart-rate then most. Nothing to worry about just healthy, active and mellow but for some reason I found out last month my blood pressure jumped to being on the upper end on normal and I noted a signifficant increase in my resting heart-rate. Still active and no changes in the diet. Is this just from stress of school (last term was terrorable) or could this be something to consult a doctor about? Any ideas?
    "A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle"
    Irina Dunn :D
    "We are not human-beings, we are human-becomings"
    Roger Ames :D

Quote adam antichrist
    Is it true there are no cholesterol sources in the vegan diet? In first year bio one of my lecturers said he avoids low cholesterol foods because you need them for protein synthesis.
    Sounds like he's trying to justify eating meat because I have never heard of this before.

But maybe one of the many nurses/doctors/members of the medical community here can clear that one up for all of us.
    It's vegan, which means it's vegetarian which means there's nothing unheathy in it. -- my guy trying to explain vegan junkfood.