Thread: Moving to B.C. Need some advice

Default Moving to B.C. Need some advice

So, as the name applies, I AM heading west (not walking).
    My girlfriend and I are trying to figure out where in B.C we want to move to. We are both from London Ont. and feel that B.C. is calling

We have been looking at housing, and appartments online for months now. The problem, is trying to find an area where Vegan and Anarchist-minded individuals dwell...
    You know.... most tourist websites cater to apathethic people who are "happy" so long as Walmart is in walking distance to the golf course.

I'm sick of that shit.
    I can't find anything that caters to the moving Vegan.... go figure.

We are planning on moving to Vancouver City and staying in an appartment for a year or so, then permanently somewhere. We are looking for an area surrounded in Nature, but at the same time.... near the "action" (half an hour max)

I would REALLY appreciate some suggestions on location from any Bcers.
    I just don't want to end up in a B.C. version of where I am now... you know?

key areas we are looking at are: Victoria, Nanaimo, Richmond, Kelowna, Duncan, and Vancouver.

Kurt

Default Re: Moving to B.C. Need some advice

Anywhere on the island is very beautiful and there are many vegans there, but I cannot offer a lot of information as I have never lived there (only visited). I live in Vancouver. If you come out here to Vancouver, you'd probably want to live in Kitsilano (where I live) or the Commercial Drive area. They are both right in Vancouver, so close to everything, and are the more vegan-oriented living areas of the city. I live within a 5 minute walk from the Naam, a 24-hour vegetarian/vegan restaurant, 5 minute walk from Sejuiced, a vegan café, 5 minute walk from Greens and Gourmet, a vegetarian/vegan buffet, and a hoard of other vegetarian restaurants. I also live a hop from Capers, an organic grocers where I shop for almost everything--they have vegan everything. Kitsilano is a little more expensive than Commercial Drive, however. Commercial Drive is a little more bohemian. My doctor's is down there. Neither are far from one another--a 15 minute drive or a short hop on the bus. But in Kits you are 5 mins from the beach.

Wow, thanks for the advice!
    I really appreciate that.
    Sounds fukin awesome.

I'm gonna print that out

Is there any hiking near by?

I too live in Vancouver, and would second just about everything Kimberly has said.

There is lots of good hiking around the city, as Vancouver is between the ocean and the mountains. You can choose to walk along the waterfront, or take hikes in the mountains.

victoria is where i am moving to. its a city that feels inbetween nanaimo (busier) and vancouver (not as busy) with tons of parks and lots of vegan restaurants and natural stores. i live in nanaimo right now which isnt great. its got around 70 000 people and its boring and i cant wait to move. richmond is nice but i think it might be too cityish for you. kelowna is beautiful but i dont know if its got alot of vegans there and its not too big. DONT move to duncan. its dirty and small and theres nothing for vegans there. its gross! and vancouver is beautiful. its like bc's toronto tho. (ofcourse not as big) but my top places to pick would be either victoria or vancouver.
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

Thanks to both of you for your replies, and for helping us close in on these key areas.

Any recommendations for where to live in Victoria...? (not a big deal, just to help us in the appartment area)

Hi

Victoria is beautiful no matter where you move to.

The more foresty areas are Sooke/East Sooke,(45 mins from downtown) Metchosin,(30 mins from downtown) and Royal Oak/Saanichton. (15-30 mins from downton but more busier, and more expensive)

The Western Communities (Langford, Colwood, 20-30 mins out of town) are nice as well, growing fast and is the cheapest place to live.

Anywhere you choose in Victoria area is nice though! I recently become strict vegetarian and am slowly figuring out veg*n restaurants and grocery stores etc. Theres a few if you look

Welcome to BC!
    But for the sake of some little mouthful of flesh we deprive a soul of the sun and light, and of that proportion of life and time it had been born into the world to enjoy.
    Plutarch (in Moralia)

Hi

I borrowed a couple of books on the topic of ghost hunting from my local library and both of them had loads of stories about haunted places in Victoria. Anyone from Victoria had any first hand experience with the paranormal that they would like to share?

Walking West - have you moved out west yet?
    I am seriously considering the move myself. I don't know anyone out there yet, and am going to need to find an apartment and a job.
    I know that know one can look into thier chrystal balls for me, but generally speaking, how is the job market out there? I'm a film tech with a BFA and a fair bit of NGO experience. NGO would be what I would be ideally looking for. I'm not asking for anyone to look for a job for me, just wondering if anyone has any ideas of the prospects out there. I really want to work in AR while I get my feet on the ground to start making my documentaries about AR issues.
    Also, while I have a sense of what area I want to live in, the news papers don't seem to list places by the same area names that I know. I am looking for the same areas mentioned in this thread, especially the Commercial Drive area. What area does this fall under in apartment listings?
    I am very encouraged by the vegan scene there! PETA's declaration of Vancouver being number one for vegans reafirm's my idea that this is the place for me right now.

Portiakitty...PLEASE don't leave me!!!

I'm teasing...I understand your reasons

I wish Nova Scotia could offer you more in terms of your desired career and goals, ah well, I'll enjoy you while you are here!
    It is challenging to stand as a minority; but doing so sometimes makes a hero.

Thanks for that - nice to feel wanted!
    There does seem to be something of a vegan community unfolding before us here though, so I won't be leaving you alone!

The race is on - if I find what I need here before I go...
    Anyone in Vancouver that knows of any AR jobs?

Quote portiakitty
    I am looking for the same areas mentioned in this thread, especially the Commercial Drive area. What area does this fall under in apartment listings?
    Hi There You would look under "Vancouver East". Commercial Drive is included in that area.