Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Poor vegan, cheap living

Default Re: Poor vegan, cheap living

Just worked it out - our household spends around £98 a week all in... food/household products/toiletries etc.. (2 people) However, we buy good basics like olive oil & always get good wine - so we don't especially buy cheap. We always cook from scratch & we rarely use any ready made vegan stuff (sausages/rashers that sort of thing). We spend very little on clothes - make do and mend I'm afraid - and mostly use public transport, although we do have one car between us (which is a bone of contention as I'm not especially into cars and he is!)

Where we fall down is eating out - if I included that we're looking at around £148 a week as we always try to get out for a meal at least once every week.
    No guru, no method, no teacher

Quote piggy View Post
    Exactly, it makes me cross to think that food which is a lot less processed, therefore requiring less labour, is more expensive than the highly processed nasty whiter bread and the likes. not so long ago, vegetables were the poor man's food, but now they're just about more expensive than animal products and definitely more so than refined flours (which on the other hand used to be rich man's food). But of course in sellers' minds, these days people who prefer to eat veg and fruit rather than a big mac, musty be some crazy, mult-bilionaire helth-freak celebrity, and therefore they can pay a lot.
    I'm not sure this is true... artisan foods are often far more labour intensive & bread is the perfect example. Modern steam baking methods can turn out a loaf from mixing to the finished article in about 15 fully automated minutes! It doesn't have to be kneaded and proved twice. It's the same with organic/veganic vegetable & fruit production - very labour intensive. (And I want them to be paid for their work! I'm sure you're paid for yours.)

However, having said that, I've used my local organic box scheme for the past three years and there have been no price rises... and indeed lately there have been price drops on individual items.

And don't blame sellers or retailers. Believe me they don't want to price people out of their outlets... what would be the point. They are simply passing on rises in production & distribution costs.

You also have to remember that if demand for particular products (e.g. raw commodities like grains) are low (cause no-one cooks anymore!) then prices will rise. Producers ain't gonna produce stuff & then sell it at a price which means they can't make a living.
    Last edited by Korn; Jan 2nd, 2010 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Fixed quote look.
    No guru, no method, no teacher

Default Re: weight-loss foods that are cheap and filling

I have huge problems with my weight - for decades - and so I have lots of practise in trying to lose it! I can lose a few stone, but I always regain it, though thankfully the pattern has changed over the last few years in that I regain a little less each year.
    Things that help me are not just about the actual food I put in my mouth but being in a positive frame of mind
    eg - reading books that inspire me and make me think about what I put in my mouth eg the Allen Carr book (except the slightly spooky chapter about aeroplanes on the moon), GI books, books about nutrition
    eg - keeping busy - knitting, vowing not to watch TV in the evening, so I don't veg out but instead prepare healthy food, make stuff, do housework
    eg trying to think I am not abstaining from something wonderful, but doing something positive and good for myself
    eg drinking nice tea and not alcohol - alcohol is a disaster for me with 3 prongs - it has calories in it, it disinhibits me so I eat more while intoxicated, and it gives me a hangover that can only be treated by large doses of carbohydrate - fried
    I always do a lot better in the summer when I excercise with a friend - I have to go out and do it or I'd be letting her down. But she buggers off to India every winter, so I go it alone then ( I suppose I could try and find another friend!).
    And in terms of food that helps me
    - soup
    - mashed root vegetables
    - beans
    - porridge
    I know all this stuff, but I'm still overweight, so there is obviously some aspect still missing

BTW CW, hope your ankle is better. Thanks for starting the thread. V

i found out once, but have forgotten...
    how many pounds is a "stone"?

cobweb

thanks, i'm not always a very healthy eater but better than i used to be, and i do exercise now, but am still large/heavy, maybe that's just how i am meant to be (*sigh*)

Quote petunia View Post
    i found out once, but have forgotten...
    how many pounds is a "stone"?

Default Vegan on the Cheap

http://hungryhungryveganos.wordpress...-on-the-cheap/

"One of the things we never really understand is when people tell us they'd be Vegan if only they could afford it. This lament is one we hear quite often from people on the cusp of leaving the land of animal suffering behind. It's true that if your diet is made up of pre-made frozen dinners, junk food and mock meats (which, don't get us wrong, we do love!) that it could cost you a pretty penny from week to week but it doesn't have to be that way.

People often gasp when we say we don't spend more than $80 a week on groceries and that includes breakfast, lunch, dinner AND desserts for the week. One of the big tricks to this is to actually plan our meals out for the week so we can head to the grocery store with a list. Yes, this does take some time up front (but really only about 20 minutes or so) and we aren't left wandering around the aisles of the store asking "What do you want for dinner?" only to get the response "I don't know, whatever you want."

For instance, this week we are having shepherd's pie, white sketti, portabello burgers, chickpea cutlets, falafel , potato soup, and a rice dish called Mexicali. Throw in a couple fruits a day and cereal every morning and you've got yourself a basic week with the Hungry Hungry Veganos. How much did all the ingredients for all these dishes come to at the grocery store, anyway?

Your eyes do not deceive you, the total for a week's worth of groceries did indeed only cost us $47.40. So, with the extra money, we may splurge on some Coconut Bliss (Vegan ice cream at its best!) throughout the week or save it up for a night of Vegan sushi. We did make sure to get these from a local co-op on our way home just because who on Earth could pass up yummy cupcakes when you have over $30 left over in your grocery budget?

So we, quite frankly, call bullshit on whomever says it's too expensive to go Vegan. We do it on the cheap and don't for one minute feel deprived on anything. No sir, not for one moment. We think it's time for some homemade cookies now. NOM."

*live*&*let*live

Default Re: Vegan on the Cheap

Those cupcakes look AMAZING and very very scrummy and SO cheap too! Good thread, off to check out the website now!

Default Re: Vegan on the Cheap

Great thread! I'm off to check out your website too

Default Vegan student

Hi guys,
    I've just joined this website (and love it!!!!).

I was hoping for some serious help.
    I'm a student -have my own place with own kitchen, etc. and am pretty new to being vegan. Being a student, I have nooooooo money, and am running out of ideas for good, healthy, cheap food which doesn't require a lot of preparation and cooking (or random ingredients!!).

Desperately need ideas for EVERYTHING

Default Re: Vegan student

Whole lentils, pillowcase, basin, bucket or large pan or similar.

Rinse each day until a couple or six centimetres 'long'.

Eat raw, or cook for just a little while.
    Problematic is waking someone whom pretends to sleep.

Hi Alison and welcome to VF

You might want to take a look at this thread called Poor vegan, cheap living which has lots of suggestions.

Don't be fooled into thinking you need fake meats and so on to be a healthy vegan; they certainly make for a bit more variety, but there are tons of beans, veggies, fruits and grains all out there just waiting to be tried!

All the best

^lentils - cheap and fast
    lentil bolognese, lentil and veggies soup ...

oatmeal mmm

vegweb.com has lots of great recipes

Pilaf

Are there other vegans at your campus? Perhaps you can form or join a club and campaign for more vegan friendly cafeteria options.

Hello - I second the lentil and veg soup recommendation. It's really cheap if you use seasonal veg, and if you make a big batch and it should last for a few days (if you can keep it away from the other students ) You can use dried herbs and spices (e.g. chili flakes) to make it tasty.

Otherwise, baked potatoes with beans or homemade hummus? Beans or hummus on toast? Risottos and pilaffs (be careful about reheating rice though as you can poison yourself)? Pasta with tomatoes, beans and veg?

That thread Fiamma pointed you to should be helpful.

When I was a student I bought all my veggies at the local market- it was cheaper, you got loads more and they usually lasted much longer than supermarket veg. Plus the people that work there are usually super nice!

Quote harpy View Post
    (be careful about reheating rice though as you can poison yourself)?
    Where do people get this? I reheat rice all the time and have never had a problem. I just glanced around online and can't find anything definitive. If it were a true danger, I think it would be more commonly mentioned. Or taught in food safety classes, I don't remember anything about rice, much less reheating it.

I think y'all are safe. Just don't eat the moldy stuff in the back of the fridge

Some advice about rice:
    http://www.eatwell.gov.uk/asksam/kee...oking/#A220063

A microbiologist told me they often use rice to grow bacteria cultures, because they like it so much that they breed nice and fast

"spores germinat[ing] into bacteria" is an interesting concept . However, it is useful to know that however dead you kill the 'bugs' in your food, the poisons which they left in your food will usually remain.

To some of the people who have been asking about recipes for cleaning products, I highly recommend the Naturally Clean Home by Karyn Siegel-Maier. It has recipes for every cleaning product you could possibly need for every room in the house. Most of them are all variations of water, vinegar, castille soap and essential oils, so it's super simple and everything is cheap to make.

As far as what I eat on a budget (which is every week, really) I try to make a big pot of something, usually with either some sort of a grain or a bean. One week I may make a huge pot of yummy lentil curry soup loaded with whatever fresh veggies I find at the farmer's market. It's cheap and it feeds both me and my husband for at least 3 or 4 days in a row. Cooking beans and grains from scratch saves a ton of money (and waste in aluminum cans for that matter) and you get a lot more bang for your buck. I definitely recommend it.

I also like to stock up on beans, but I tend to avoid canned or processed. Instead I purchase bulk beans from the co-op store when they go on sale and then of course I get my monthly 15% discount since I am an investor there. I usually pick up a variety of beans: red beans, white, black, kidney, pinto and also split peas, lentils, chic peas and black eyed peas. When I get home, I pull out all my pots and soak them over night. In the morning when I get up I rinse the beans and finish cooking them until done. Then I drain them, let them cool a bit and usually put them into zip lock bags at about 2 cups at a time. These bags are then tossed into the freezer for future meals and it makes ALLOT!! When I come home in a hurry and need to toss something together, I grab one of the bags and run warm water over it in a colander to separate them and defrost a bit.. it only takes a minute and then I'm ready to add them to casseroles and other dishes in a hurry. The money that I save is off the charts compared to buying canned, plus the beans I buy are organic and free of any additives or sodium. They taste better too!

P.S. I don't actually cook the lentils and split peas this way because they cook fast by themselves and would probably come out too mushy I'm guessing.
    "You put a baby in a crib with an apple and a rabbit. If it eats the rabbit and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car". (Harvey Diamond)

I resort to lots of lazy foods, especially canned black beans.
    Audaces Fortuna Iuvat.

">
    This pot is as big as a bucket. It now has its own shelf in a warm cupboard. These whole lentils soon sprout, and taste good raw. Not much hands on time at all; just soak, drain, rinse once each day. I only need to cook them if I run out of other food before they are ready...even then this bucket has a lid, and makes a good radiator for drying my socks on.

Of course these will grow in a pillow case, which I should never tire of mentioning.

These things will stop growing if you get them cold enough....and can keep for a couple of weeks in ideal conditions. They die if they freeze, unsurprizingly.

pavotrouge

omnomnom. but then, what do use a bucket load of lentils in?

My tummy. These are both 'salad' vegetable, and protein source [including methionine]...and some carbohydrates aswell...so they nearly always fit the bill. They also kick the toughened 'but' of snack because they are right there on hand.

I am still getting gaps in supply. If I start a kilo on day one, then I might be boiling some on day two and three, before I can eat them with minimum parasite control [steam or blanche or don't worry]. They swell two or three times in size when soaked, but then grow to fill maybe ten times their original volume [I might measure].

Heehee this thread made me giggle.
    I felt I had to respond, because my fridge is almost COMPLETELY empty save for condiments and unvegan food (I live at home).
    I won't go so far as to say I ate hot dog buns and BBQ sauce, but I did create the most interesting mish mash of leftover veggie "ground beef", pasta noodles, my last bit of nutritional yeast, some really nasty vegan cheese and onions. Kind of like an "unbeef" stroganoff.
    Yesterday was toasted pb and j for dinner, followed by handfuls of plain tortilla chips.
    *sigh* Vegan on the cheap can get a bit unusual.

EDIT:
    HAHAHAHA I felt the need to add this, my mom just came home all ravenous like and ate all of my concoction. (After smothering it in ketcuhp and poking gingerly at it with a spoon). I guess it cuoldn't have been *that* bad.
    Last edited by LaceytheCrazy; Feb 27th, 2010 at 08:58 PM.

RubyDuby

sounds good to me!
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

Me too. Mishmashing leftovers together saves wasting and I hate wasting food!

Default Re: The Cheap Thread

Quote Roxy View Post
    Wow - Walmart sells vegan things?

They exploit everything else under the sun, so I would've expected that they would be very generous with their animal exploitation as well.

I hate Walmart.

Wow I read the quote just above this one that said "so-and-so does all his vegan shopping at walmart", and I was like . Whew, glad someones said something! Nice save Roxy!

I am a pretty poor vegan and once had a whole week on mashed potatoes and nothing else...not even soy butter 0_o

I have been managing better now but still only spend 80 - 90 Euros a month on food.

I spend a LOT on food.... I just go the store and grab whatever I want... I don't even look at the price.... I'd say I probably spend about 300-400 a month on foodies!!! Yum!!!

Canadian dollars that is.... lol

patientia

Nutritiondata has a graph for every food item, showing how nutritious and filling it is:
    http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/v...roducts/2461/2

What are some good spices for a frugal vegan? I don't want to get too many, but I don't want to get too few, either.
    Eat your veggies!

Cayenne pepper, cumin and coriander will cover spices for a lot of things. Ginger is good too because it can be sweet or savoury. Mixes can be good, depending on what kind of food you like to cook.
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

RubyDuby

basil, oregano and thyme. mmm

Quote adl View Post
    What are some good spices for a frugal vegan? I don't want to get too many, but I don't want to get too few, either.
    you could go to a friend or relatives house and take a spoonful of each of their spices if they have lots before buying some ha. i would

I keep gaining weight!!! I don't know what to do! Its frustrating because the healthy dinners I want to make my SO doesn't really like...

But i'm at the point where i'm either going to need to lose some weight or buy new clothes, which i really don't want to do.

UGH!

Anyone have any new ideas for their favorite cheap weight loss foods? Whats working for everyone else?
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

patientia

How about this: cook potatoes for yourself, fry them for your SO. Make non fat sauces, add oil or soy cream for your SO. Eat those sauces with grated courgettes, but for your SO cook pasta.

RubyDuby

soup

I second soup. I saw a programme where they gave some people a dinner with a glass of water and others the exact same thing but pureed into a soup - the soup people felt fuller for longer.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

patientia

That was BBC, The Truth About Food, or something like that.

but... I never feel full from soup. I think it's psychological. I don't think of something you don't chew as food.

MissB- my advice, cook what you want and tell your boyfriend to fend for himself
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

RubyDuby

really? soup fills me right up. esp if it's pureed beans and hearty veg, like carrots, potato and sweet potato. mmmmm I want soup.

cobweb

i'm back on this quest again at the moment, have just ordered a load of brown rice and various dried beans..............it means i will have to cook 2 seperate meals most days (the others won't eat this stuff!) but i need to stop buying so much 'fun foods' - the sort of crap that encourages me to over-indulge!.

Oatmeal, while not my favorite food, is generally considered the best, cheapest food to loose calories with. This is not a statement made by veg*ns, but rather by dominant omnivore fitness professionals.

Oatmeal is like the wonder-food for loosing weight. It's cheap and very filling by all metrics. It fills for hours and hours, especially if you mill it at home from scratch instead of the instant stuff... but even the worst oatmeal (instant), is still very filling.

The reason is that people feel full based on the VOLUME that a food takes up. The more volume, the more full people feel. Second, that the LONGER that volume is maintained, the longer a person feels full. Third, the less calories that food has, the more likely to loose weight. Oatmeal is a high volume, slow digesting food that is not calorie dense. As long as a person doesn't add a bunch of high density, quick digesting calories to oatmeal (such as a lot of sugars/syrups or margarine), then Oatmeal is a real winner for cheap weight loss.
    context is everything

I would agree that porridge for breakfast is the only thing that keeps me feeling full until near lunch time. I make mine with just water and have agave or date syrup on it.
    Weight loss is simply a matter of calories in and calories out. You need to eat a few less calories and use up a few more. It doen't matter from a weight loss point of view what these calories are made up of, but if you eat foods that make you feel more full, it's likely to be easier to eat less.
    If you've been struggling with weight loss for a long time then I would encourage you to look more at the mental side of things and motivation to change rather than the minutiae of what you eat.

cobweb

^ i agree with that, Cookey, obsessing about food makes me worse, keeping busy and not having too much 'fun food' around is the only method that seems to work in my case, anyway.

Cobweb - food should always be fun!
    I use motivational interview techniques with clients to get them to think about why they want to change and what will be different if they do. NLP may also be useful, although I know less about it. My point is, you already now about healthy food, if you are not actually doing what you need to to keep yourself a healthy weight, you need to think about why that is and /or how to change your behaviour.