Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Poor vegan, cheap living

Default Re: Skint dinners

You're both always welcome here for a meal any time. Bit of a hike from Seaford mind you.
    Just PM me.

Px
    ..but what would they do with all the cows?..

Quote horselesspaul View Post
    You're both always welcome here for a meal any time. Bit of a hike from Seaford mind you.
    Just PM me.

Px
    Thanks Paul - we may well take you up on your offer next week
    Silent but deadly :p

Do PM BassPixie after Tuesday, I'm off to LA for a couple of weeks work. She's a good pasta chef...

Peas and love.
    ..but what would they do with all the cows?..

cobweb

Red face weight-loss foods that are cheap and filling

i know, i know - after all i have said here about eating what i want, accepting my size, etc...........i just can't do it. I'm currently eating what i want and i took a sneaky peak at the scales and have put on EVEN MORE WEIGHT!.

To be honest i don't think my medication is helping, i have put on over 2 stone in one year since starting on it . I have to take it, though, i tried to come off and it was not a pretty sight .

Anyway, i know that losing weight will have a positive effect on my poorly foot (plantar fasciitis) which is really important to me as my favourite form of exercise is walking, closely followed by yoga.

Also, though, i just don't feel 'right' at my present weight/size. I don't feel able to dress as i want to (i like the sort of cords/boots/tank tops/roll-necks sort of style but it doesn't go with my size atm!) and this makes me feel like i'm not 'me' .

So what i really need is some ideas of cheap (as my budget is tight right now), nutritional and very filling foods which make me feel full and give me energy whilst i lose serious amounts of weight.

Suggestions are most welcome, i am at despair stage .

Default Re: weight-loss foods that are cheap and filling

sorry to hear you are unhappy cobweb. i'll put my thinking cap on for you. i seem to remember you saying you ate quite a lot of cheezy, do you think that is calorie laden? (i have no idea myself). maybe lay off that and keep it for treats once a week maybe on a jacket spud for dinner? (filling and tasty with the cheeze).

keep your pecker up ducks!

Good sperm

Cut out all processed foods. Don't eat anything that has more than 15% fat (15g per 100g). Fill up on beans, pulses, pasta and rice. Try to eat wholegrain versions of pastas and breads, and brown rice. Eat as much fruit and veg as you can. Don't put spread on anything and cook things in water not oil. Cut down on salt, drink plenty of water and try to get out the house for a walk every day.

If you feel like a sweet snack have dried fruit. A handful of nuts a day is recommended but don't go crazy. If you want chocolate have hot chocolate (Green and Blacks is good), if you feel peckish try toast and Marmite equivalent with no spread, some fruit or one slice of toast and nut butter. Eat 6 smaller meals a day (Brekkie - snack - lunch - snack - dinner - snack) keeping the main meals smaller than usual. If you want dessert try stewed fruits with soya custard or soy yoghurt with cereal. Never starve yourself.

cobweb

thanks .

AMF yes i had meant to seek your advice before. I admit that food list sounds a bit yucky to me but if i want to lose weight i have to change my ways. I also suppose that when i get into it i will appreciate all those unprocessed foods and my tastes will change anyway, thanks.

Yes, Cedar, Cheezly isn't too bad, calorie-wise but obviously high in fat. I have cut down on that dramatically though, lately, and the fake 'meats'.

BTW i wouldn't say i'm generally unhappy but i am exceedingly unhappy with my size and shape .

JC

why don't you try something like corn cakes? i like the kallo ones, they're £1.45 (ish) for a pack, and they're only 16cals a slice. and they do fill you up! you could top them with something like a tomato based salsa, rather than hummus or cheezly.

cobweb

p.s AMF hope that didn't sound rude re the food ideas, actually i know in my heart that i've been eating trash food for too long now. I just said bye-bye to my last block of Cheezly and mashed it into crumbs for the seagulls .
    One thing i really have gone off lately is hot soya milk in any form so i think i will substitute your suggestion of hot chocolate for the small alpro soya milk chocolate drinks which i love, and have one of them in a chocolate type crisis! .

cobweb

ta, JC but i can't stomach rice or corn cakes, no offence, they just really aren't for me, but thankyou for the suggestion.x

Definitely canned beans. Rinse them well if they're salted.

Oatmeal is a great breakfast food, and really cheap. Get the kind that is plain and cooks in 3-5 minutes - pair with fruit, and maybe also some soymilk for a balanced meal. My usual breakfast is oatmeal, and a smoothie with a cup of frozen fruit, water and hemp protein. It certainly doesn't make me gain weight. The protein and fiber help to fill me up without adding too many calories.

Cinnamon is supposedly helpful for losing cravings.

Lots of water, little salt, lots of protein, lots of fiber. If you can, invest in a big can of hemp protein. Each 30g serving contains 11 grams of protein, 13 grams of fiber and just 115 calories. It's all-natural, and I've found organic varieties. I know some people might think of it as a 'supplement', but as far as proteins go, I think it's the healthiest. It's not sweetened or anything, so you might want to blend it up with fruit and liquid.

And eat more greens!
    Soup is good.
    More raw vegetables.
    Snack on things like fruit, raw veggies with hummus, plain popcorn (maybe with nutritional yeast ), Luna Bars (high in protein, not too calorific), high-fiber cereals, etc.

There are slimming teas out there, too. Yerba mate is an appetite supressant and metabolism booster. It contains matine, which is like caffiene but is more stable for the body. Green tea is great - matcha (powdered green tea) is even better. I work in a tea place, and we sell a couple teas 'Slim and Slender' and 'Slimming' which ... clean you out, heh. Careful with caffiene though - don't overdo it, and make sure you're drinking lots of water so you don't get dehydrated.

Between last June and September, I lost about 25lbs by changing how I ate and exercising more. If you'd like any more help, just PM me

Oh, I also want to add - keep meals balanced. Very important. I will binge later in the day if I'm missing a key component of a meal.

Sample day for me:

Breakfast: 1/3 cup oatmeal cooked with 2/3 cup water (whole grain), 2 tbsp hemp protein (protein source), 1 cup fruit (2 servings fruit)

Snack: Fruit (like an apple)

Lunch: 1/2 whole wheat pita (whole grain), 1/2 cup chickpeas (protein source), 1/2 cup vegetables in the pita (tomato, greens, cucumber, etc) and 1/2-1 cup vegetables on the side (2-3 vegetable servings) 2 tbsp of hummus.

Snack: Luna Bar (whole grain serving...high in protein)

Dinner: 1/2 cup cooked brown rice (whole grain), 1/5 package tofu (protein source), 1-1.5 cups steamed vegetables (2-3 vegetable servings)

If those portion sizes are too small for you, start out with larger portions OR add a bit more to your snacks, then slowly decrease from there.

Then low-calorie extras in moderation (vinegar, stevia, a bit of your favourite milk in your coffee, mustard, etc)

Don't try to cut out carbs or anything...you will just end up craving them. Hope I helped!

Quote Cup'O'Tea View Post
    Oatmeal is a great breakfast food, and really cheap. Get the kind that is plain and cooks in 3-5 minutes - pair with fruit, and
    ay eye!

for added nutruition and last-a-bility try adding a little ground almonds or dried fruits (raisins, cranberries), pine nuts, goji berries, dried apricots, dried dates chopped up, dried figs while cooking.
    top with grated apple, stewed fruit (rhubarb, plums etc)

cobweb

thanks cup o'tea. Funny, we always used to eat porridge but stopped for some reason (laziness?). You're right, must get back on the oats.

luna bars are quite expensive and i have to get them posted to me here so i might have to leave them but will trying the other things mentioned. I suppose i knew a lot of this really but was in denial about how crap my diet was
    Last edited by cobweb; Apr 27th, 2008 at 06:28 PM. Reason: did not make sense! - another senior moment

Good sperm

Oat milk is better in hot choc BTW

Hi Cobweb. My situation is similar. I can't fit into most of my clothes anymore except for jogging pants. I've been eating lots of sugary stuff though for the past year. Recently I've discovered that a handful of raisins usually helps suppress a sweet craving.
    The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well

cobweb

bad, isn't it, Maisie?

i'm half wishing i hadn't posted this thread though as it makes me look/feel a bit pathetic and sad which i'm not really, just fat!

RebeccaDye

How about negative calorie foods?
    (Foods that just by eating them, you burn the amount of calories they contain).
    I know celery is one, but there's loads, you could Google "negative calories foods".
    Sorry I'd do it for you but my Google's playing up.
    Other than that, I'd recommend trying to fasten your metabolism (small regular meals, eating ginger, drinking lots of water which will get rid of water weight too).
    Anyway, good luck!

Quote RebeccaDye View Post
    How about negative calorie foods?
    (Foods that just by eating them, you burn the amount of calories they contain).
    I know celery is one, but there's loads, you could Google "negative calories foods".
    !
    that's a myth. You can take in zero calories (depending on how much you chew), but more than likely you will take in a couple per serving.

Quote bryzee86 View Post
    that's a myth. You can take in zero calories (depending on how much you chew), but more than likely you will take in a couple per serving.
    Actually may not be a myth for a very few amount of foods, celery and grapefruit being some. It's all about the thermic effect of food (TEF) and if it takes your body more energy to digest a certain food than the food has in it. Fun topic to debate actually.

Anyway, I'm sure the OP has been answered already, but I am still going to throw a suggestion out there. FRUITS AND VEGGIES! They add more density and weight per calorie than all of the other foods in a diet. Try eating 100 cals of lettuce, it's freaking impossible...

RebeccaDye

Oh right, but if it's still possible why's it a myth?

I lost weight this year by replacing all my usual snacks with rice cakes. They're cheap (you'd physically die if you ate a quid's worth) and filling(ish).
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

All bran cereal followed by a handful of sennakot (currently what I am considering anyways)
    Silent but deadly :p

sugarmouse

My best tips to shift someweight cheaply/easily
    • Make huge pans of vegetable or tomato soup using stock and wahtever veggies you like.Use frozen veg and tinned tomatoes for cheap. If you are careful about what is in the soup you can snack on it throughout the day and it will be low calorie and filling.
    • Eat as much food from negative calorie lists as you want, to fill up..use low cal dressing.
    • If you dont like rice cakes,buy uncooked popadums and try those,microwave using a touch of low cal cookinng spray if yuo wish. I snack on these to fill up.
    • If like me, H20 is too boring add cordial. Its worthit if it makes you drink more water.

My opinion on negative calorie food is, that it is a myth that food can contain NO calories...HOWEVER, foods which are on the negative calorie food list, are the kind of food you can eat looads of without adding calories. Filling up on these works for weight loss. That isnt a myth

I shouldn't worry cobweb - people are mostly just listing their favourite foods that are cheap and filling, not commenting on you. These sorts of threads develop lives of their own don't they.

I could do with shedding a few pounds but I'm going to try and make an effort to do more walking as exercise is the only thing that really works for me (and it has a good effect on my mood as well, unlike self-denial ) . I expect that guarantees four months of non-stop rain!

cobweb

Quote harpy View Post
    I shouldn't worry cobweb - people are mostly just listing their favourite foods that are cheap and filling, not commenting on you. These sorts of threads develop lives of their own don't they.

I could do with shedding a few pounds but I'm going to try and make an effort to do more walking as exercise is the only thing that really works for me (and it has a good effect on my mood as well, unlike self-denial ) . I expect that guarantees four months of non-stop rain!

exercise is my saviour harpy but i haven't been able to do much atall for months due to my damned foot . I expect i eat more when i'm stuck indoors so it's a vicious cycle.
    It's nice to get help and support here but i'm thinking that really i need to just pull myself together (*rolling eyes at myself!*)

Sorry about your foot cw - that must be v difficult. I hope it's getting better?

Apart from walking I sometimes wave weights around (carefully and using light ones so as not to do more harm than good). One can start off with e.g. cans of beans and even sitting down - my kind of exercise in fact

cobweb

harpy you're a tonic - i have some weights i occasionally wave around, too!

Don't feel bad or negative or pathetic cobweb (((HUGS))). I think it's great that you want to go ahead and do something to improve your situation, when you don't feel good about your physical self.

I think everyone's offering really good advice here. You just need to try a few different things and find what works for you.

cobweb

thanks Roxy, you are sweet, it is good that i want to do this - so why can't i just do it? argghhhh!
    ta for the hug! x

While I'm unable to use my trampoline due to an injury I'm doing a bit of Callanetics to keep up the routine of doing something each day - and hopefully it will do me some good. It is 'no impact' so many of the exercises might be okay with your foot.
    There is a video showing people doing it here:- http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...71946293869648
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Cobweb!! I'm so sorry you feel badly about your size, clothes, etc... At least you've got many other great things about you!!

The main things I do:

- Drinking tons of water - like a liter with each meal; some people think its too much but my point is that water is heavy and "fills" your stomach, if only temporarily
    - Eating HUGE salads before I can eat anything else. I must finish the salad before I can move onto something else.
    - I always eat breakfast - such as quinoa flakes, rolled oats, luna bars, something...
    - I eat a piece of fruit in between meals to add fiber and minerals
    - I make sure to have two portions of protein in my lunch and dinner - lentils are soo filling, along with soups, quinoa w/ beans, and stirfries w/ soybeans, etc
    - I also don't really consume "extras" like spreads, sauces, dips, dressings, drinks, etc.

Of course, listen to your body Sometimes this stuff is soooo hard, but you can totally do this Cobweb!
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

Cobweb don't be a silly moo! You know we love you and don't think you are pathetic!

Something that others haven't mentioned is smoothies....raw ones at that. Three banannas, few berries, maybe a leaf or too of baby spinach and water. Blend it up and way hey....filling breakfast! I read somewhere that fruit is the most nutritious and best thing to have for breaky. Fruit is relatively cheap although if you want it even cheaper get it frozen/canned and it's just as good. If you don't have a blender.....you need to get one. Mine was £9.99 and I've had it for 5 years...it makes soups, hummus and smoothies just as well as the vitamix thing that my friend has.

I also find that making a meal plan for the week that you can stick to helps and lotsa variation. Also try not to eat too late in the evening because you won't be able to burn it off.
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

Default Cheapest, Healthy Vegan Diet.

So, long story short, I just started a full-time job, but I'm also probably moving out. I don't have to pay for much besides gas and food (moving in with my boyfriend and his mom, sister, mom's boyfriend), but still, I want to live really, really cheap, just because all my life, I've been used to being somewhat spoiled, and I want to live off just necessities. I'm thinking something like this would work, for a variety of nutrients. It incorporates all my favourite foods, and should only cost roughly $50 per week. Work expends a lot of energy, so I needn't worry about not being able to burn everything off. Plus I'll still be running most mornings. I plan to give up coffee.

Breakfast: Oatmeal, hemp protein, berries.

Snack: Apple.

Lunch (at work) : Peanut butter sandwich (PB, 2 slices whole wheat bread), baby carrots and celery.

Snack (at work): Soymilk and a banana.

Dinner - would vary between: Rice with lentils or beans and 2 veggies. Small salad (tomatoes, mixed greens) OR Pasta with sauce, maybe lentils and 2 veggies. Small salad.

I might even take the berries out of breakfast since I have fruit as snacks. My weekly grocery list would be something like:

-2 cans of lentils
    -2 cans of other beans
    -Jar of peanut butter (should last like 3 weeks at least)
    -Tub of hemp protein (should last about a month)
    -2 cartons of soymilk
    -1-2 loaves of bread
    -1 box wholegrain pasta
    -1 box brown rice (should last a couple weeks)
    -1 bag oats (2-3 weeks)
    -Bananas (7)
    -Apples (7)
    -Berries?
    -Baby carrots
    -Celery
    -Peppers (2)
    -Tomatoes (4)
    -Frozen broccoli
    -Frozen cauliflower
    -Mixed greens
    -Pasta sauce

Anything else you would suggest? Any obvious nutrients you think I'd be missing?

Default Re: Cheapest, Healthy Vegan Diet.

This thread might help for cheap food
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe-Albert Einstein

Default Re: Cheapest, Healthy Vegan Diet.

When I'm on an economy drive, rather than going shopping with a list, I look to see what's going cheap (e.g. buy fruit and veg in season, and see what's been marked down at the end of the day as long as it's not actually rotting).

May take a bit of discipline as you mustn't go mad and buy more than you need.

If you can find a shop that sells stuff like dried beans and rice in bulk then that will save you some money, too. "Ethnic" shops such as Indian groceries can be good for that if you have any where you are.

Also if you can be bothered to make your own bread that can save quite a bit, I believe, as well as being nicer. If you have a freezer you can make several loaves at once and freeze most of them.

I'm on diet too! Struggling to kick the junk food habit (and I thought it would be easy once I was vegan - boy was I wrong!)

Beans, chickpeas, lentils (my favourite), brown rice. Buy all the legumes dried, they are WAY cheaper and tastier, have a few cans for last minute dinners.

Homemade hummus is cheap and less fattening than storebought, and you can eat it with everything - (got to have something to liven up the endless brown rice crackers and veggies!) Oh, and when eating raw veggies, eat less carrots - they have loads of sugar in them.

hummus:
    2 cups chickpeas
    1 onion
    1 tspn paprika
    1 tbsp cumin
    1 tspn dried cilantro
    2 tbsp olive oil
    a little water
    then into the food processor!

A spice rack is your best friend - when you're cooking low fat you need the flavour kick! I also love thai green curry paste.

For quick meals, I love to throw a bunch of veggies and tofu on the grill or in the oven with some herbs, spices and a light spray of olive oil

Also, I've built up a collection of soups that are low cal and take under 1/2 hour to make. I make enough to take leftovers for lunch the next day.

cobweb

i can't cut down on carrots, i love them!

i have located a source for tahini here now and will make some homous soon, and today i've loaded up on some fifferent types of rice. Going back to basics.

Carrots are OK, surely - if you ate a whole kilo there would only be about 300 calories, as far as I can tell. (If you kept doing this you might o/d and turn orange but I thought this mainly happened with people who drink loads of carrot juice.)

cobweb

yes i am really not going to worry about carrots after all the junk i've been eating!

Quote harpy View Post
    Carrots are OK, surely - if you ate a whole kilo there would only be about 300 calories, as far as I can tell. (If you kept doing this you might o/d and turn orange but I thought this mainly happened with people who drink loads of carrot juice.)

You're right. I was thinking in terms of myself. I'm a type 1 diabetic and I find that carrots (esp. raw) really raise my blood sugar. Carrots, grapes, potatoes, corn and pineaple are the worst. Maybe it's more to do with how quickly the sugar is released than total sugar content.

Aduki beans - whack them in everything.
    If i keep a green bough in my heart my singing bird will come.

scotch&dry

Unhappy New, cheap vegan

I'm a new vegan and my parents (after finally coming around to the idea) are still buying my food but making me shop for it and prepare it myself. Basically, I need a whole separate range of food, which I'm scared will cost too much.

So I guess I'm looking for cheap and filling foods to buy. I'm kinda stressing about it.

Also - good recipe sites?

Default Re: New, cheap vegan

CONGRATS on becoming vegan!!!
    I don't know about meat subs in australia, but here are some things that should be relatively cheap..
    Pasta, couscous (season with vegetable stock and a little olive oil), millet grain (very high in iron), chickpeas/garbanzo beans (calcium), pitta breads. You can also try making your own veggie burgers.
    TVP, used dried soya mince and add to veggie gravy, put in a dish and top with mashed potato and bake in the oven. You can also add baked beans (haricot) to this dish for extra fibre and nutrients.
    Tinned lentils for protein and nutrients.
    Tofu is good for protein and calcium, but it is only inexpensive if you buy it from a Chinese store.. so if you have one near you go there. Also in a Chinese shop you can look for 'suji' which is basically tinned gluten, and usually comes in 'chicken' and 'duck' amongst other styles.
    Nut cutlets are cheap and nutritious.. You can also try having wholemeal pasta instead of white as it is much more filling. If you have the time you can make meals up at home and freeze them since vegan ready meals aren't as easy to come buy.

I use www.vegweb.com for my recipe ideas. Also check out http://uk.youtube.com/vegetariandatabase where you can find some of my own video recipes..
    Hope this helps

HFW

cobweb

i'm a bit of a cheap vegan, too.

i eat lots of potatoes - jacket potatoes are great with beans or lentils pored over them with a bit of greenery on the side, very cheap, very filling.

in the u.k lots of brekky cereals are ok for vegans so that, and toast, with vegan soya milk/soya spread is a good, cheap breakfast - that or fruit, of course.

soups are also great, cheap lunches (homemade, easy to do) and of course sandwiches or beans on toast.

you don't need a load of fancy stuff, it's just nice as a treat sometimes.

ooh, i also recommend cherry's site 'parsley soup' for good recipes, including lots of homemade cake ideas.

It might work out cheaper if you can mostly use the same foods your parents are already buying for themselves, and just add a few bits and pieces of your own (such as nuts, seeds and beans). Presumably they already buy fruit, veg, rice and so on? If not perhaps you could persuade them that they should!

Dried beans, peas and lentils are cheap and (assuming there's room in the freezer) you can prepare a load and keep them until you need them.

Soya products are really optional extras from a nutritional point of view IMO so I wouldn't get stressed about not being able to afford those.

scotch&dry

Thanks everyone, these are some great ideas

Harpy, I like the sounds of this. You put it so simply! That is what I'd originally had in mind but I ended up fussing a bit. I just need to convince my family to stop eating so much white product - white rice, white bread, white sugar, etc. not necessarily not-vegan, but not as healthy either.

Totally hear where your coming from guys, its all well and good to have a nutrious, varied vegan diet if you've got the cash. Vegan and veggie restaurants that are in my price range are also few and far between....spotting a trend here?

Its nice to be healthy and ethical but when your a broke student you rely on staples like instant noodles, oat cakes etc. most of which have palm oil in them so thats a no go now. back to broccoli, rice and chickpeas it is...*sigh. rant over

Any uk members equally strapped 4 cash found any vegan, non palm oil student foods in the supermarkets?

You can get rice noodles that just have rice in them and that just need to be steeped in boiling water for 5 minutes, but I'm not sure if they're particularly cheap. Like someone already said, if you can get to a Chinese supermarket you can often find oriental products at better prices.

By the way if you click on 'cheap living' in the 'tag cloud' on the forum home page there are a few more threads on this topic.