Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Poor vegan, cheap living

Default Re: weight-loss foods that are cheap and filling

Quote xrodolfox View Post
    even the worst oatmeal (instant), is still very filling.
    I was planning to try to get into a routine of eating oatmeal every day for breakfast but have found when I eat oatmeal (and it is the instant stuff I'm afraid) I feel really hungry within about two hours. I was wondering why this was as everyone says the opposite - any ideas? I have it with soya milk, about 2 tsps of hulled linseeds, a tbsp of omega rich oil and one chopped date.
    If I eat a wholemeal pitta bread with some veggie and a bit of houmous I'm fuller for much longer.

Quote DiaShel View Post
    I never feel full from soup.
    I used to think the same way - if someone served soup as a dinner I'd feel like I hadn't been fed! I'm not sure why or when that changed but I find a large bowl of soup an acceptable meal nowadays.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

is instant oatmeal really that much worse then regular? I mean, it's still 100% rolled oats, isn't it just chopped up?

Marrers, sometimes oatmeal really fills me up and other times, I still feel hungry after I just finish eating it. Lately it hasn't been filling me.
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

cobweb

yeah oatmeal/porridge makes me hungry afterwards too Dia
    i find muesli filling, its not cheap but probably economical as i only need a small amount

I think instant oatmeal/porridge has a higher glycaemic/glycemic index, i.e. the energy in it is processed faster by the body, so it would be more likely to leave you feeling hungry than the traditional stuff.

As this points out you can correct that to some extent by mixing it with other stuff - obviously not milk in our case

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/e...lis/index.html

With non-instant oatmeal, you can accelerate the cooking process by soaking it overnight I think.

How to make oatmeal:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT8IaxL6jtg

Watch this. You'll be making the cheapest stuff that fills you up.

Instant has a high glycemic index. It digests very quickly. This occurs because it is "pre-cooked" in a special way. The real stuff will stay with you much longer.
    context is everything

cobweb

I also use 'real' oats to make it but it still makes me feel hungry soon afterwards!

Quote harpy View Post
    I think instant oatmeal/porridge has a higher glycaemic/glycemic index, i.e. the energy in it is processed faster by the body, so it would be more likely to leave you feeling hungry than the traditional stuff.
    Thankyou both. Maybe I'll give cooking from scratch a go but I'm not sure if I'll be buying a special device to grind whole groats! (I don't have a coffee mill, would a normal blender work?)
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

BlackCats

I find porridge really filling. I like soups too but they are more of a winter type food I think.

I have been eating a lot more raw for a week and I have lost 5 lbs. Whoo hoo. I have been spending quite a lot on the fruit and veg though so it probably isn't cheap. I'm going to see if I can order an organic box instead.

Quote Marrers View Post
    Thankyou both. Maybe I'll give cooking from scratch a go but I'm not sure if I'll be buying a special device to grind whole groats! (I don't have a coffee mill, would a normal blender work?)
    I think rolled oats might be a reasonable compromise, they are pre-processed to some extent so don't take too long to prepare but still have a moderate Glycaemic Index IIRC - but don't take my word for it...

RubyDuby

It's better for your metabolism to eat small meals every 3 hours or so anyway.

Good job, BlackCats!

It sucks that fresh veg is so expensive. Especially organic... but it's definitely worth it if you can do it!
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

i love soup, the bad part is it is starting to get hot!! and i'm not really one for cold soup...and the SO doesn't like it...and before you tell me to have him fend for himself, i just can't. if i do that all he eats is crap. can't let him do that. lol and i just feel better when i'm feeding him. he is my babe after all. <3

i'll try oatmeal in the morning. i was eating green smoothies in the morning but i killed my blender, i was seriously waiting for it to go out and it finally did. bummer though.

i'm finally starting to drop a few pounds that i shouldn't have had...which is really nice...
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

How to make oatmeal:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT8IaxL6jtg

Watch this. You'll be making the cheapest stuff that fills you up.

Instant has a high glycemic index. It digests very quickly. This occurs because it is "pre-cooked" in a special way. The real stuff will stay with you much longer.
    I watched this and I really want to start doing it this way! I like the part where it said you have to add fats to it. No problem! I like PB and banana. I just had a bowl with instant, because that's what I have, and I'm still hungry. I'm going to have to get the real stuff.

Quote Marrers View Post
    I'm going to get a coffee mill. I had one before I moved to grind flax seeds. It's also good for spices. It's not expensive at all!

Quote BlackCats View Post
    I find porridge really filling. I like soups too but they are more of a winter type food I think.

I have been eating a lot more raw for a week and I have lost 5 lbs. Whoo hoo. I have been spending quite a lot on the fruit and veg though so it probably isn't cheap. I'm going to see if I can order an organic box instead.
    Nice job BC! I just ordered an organic box delivery and my first one is today. BTW- I though people use kg in the UK. I can't keep it all straight.

Quote RubyDuby View Post
    It's better for your metabolism to eat small meals every 3 hours or so anyway.

Good job, BlackCats!

It sucks that fresh veg is so expensive. Especially organic... but it's definitely worth it if you can do it!
    Really? I thought it was really cheap. I haven't gotten one yet, but I got the "family size" and they sent me a list of what would be in it this week and it seems like a lot! Unless they mean apples and there is one. It was $40 NZ which is $30 US so if that's most of my produce for the week that's amazing!! Well, find out today.

Quote missbettie View Post
    i love soup, the bad part is it is starting to get hot!! and i'm not really one for cold soup...and the SO doesn't like it...and before you tell me to have him fend for himself, i just can't. if i do that all he eats is crap. can't let him do that. lol and i just feel better when i'm feeding him. he is my babe after all. <3

i'll try oatmeal in the morning. i was eating green smoothies in the morning but i killed my blender, i was seriously waiting for it to go out and it finally did. bummer though.

i'm finally starting to drop a few pounds that i shouldn't have had...which is really nice...
    Such a good girlfriend. I wonder if I can ever put someone's else needs first. I doubt it..
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

RubyDuby

I don't know about the boxes. We don't have those deliveries around here, that I know of... I should really find out! I meant in general, like at the store.

Quote DiaShel View Post

Such a good girlfriend. I wonder if I can ever put someone's else needs first. I doubt it..
    i never ever thought i'd be this way. i never thought i'd be washing a mans underwear and cleaning up after him without complaint, i'd sooner flip the guy off or walk out....but then i met tweedle dum and for over 5 years now i've been doing it....oh how the mighty have fallin...or it could be that i just love the guy...

Quote RubyDuby View Post
    I don't know about the boxes. We don't have those deliveries around here, that I know of... I should really find out! I meant in general, like at the store.
    Oh, misread that sorry. It's too bad they don't have them in NY. I can't find ANY organics around here so this was perfect.

Quote missbettie View Post
    i never ever thought i'd be this way. i never thought i'd be washing a mans underwear and cleaning up after him without complaint, i'd sooner flip the guy off or walk out....but then i met tweedle dum and for over 5 years now i've been doing it....oh how the mighty have fallin...or it could be that i just love the guy...
    This is why love scares the crap out of me

BlackCats

Quote RubyDuby View Post
    Good job, BlackCats!
    Thanks Ruby.:smile:

I looked up the local organic box schemes and compared it to the supermarkets and the supermarkets came out top in price so I bought a load of organic fruit and veg from Tesco today. Meh.

cobweb

Quote BlackCats View Post
    I looked up the local organic box schemes and compared it to the supermarkets and the supermarkets came out top in price so I bought a load of organic fruit and veg from Tesco today. Meh.

Yes i very reluctanctly tried it and came out with the same result. If i lived alone i would probably go ahead and use the veg boxes, but as i shop at supermarkets anyway for the rest of our stuff it seemed pointless when i'm on a budget.
    This is why i am going down the beans and rice route (cheap), taking a good multi-vit, and having a load of decent veg once a week now.

Hi cobweb

Try to eat more leafy vegetables, beans and lentils and instead of white rice eat basmati rice because it is considered low carb. Reduce your consumption of stuff from flour, like cakes, biscuits etc because they contain too much carbohydrates and oil and eat fruits instead.
    Respect for all living entities

Quote Jivattatva View Post
    instead of white rice eat basmati rice because it is considered low carb.
    What do you mean by "considered low carb"? I thought the carbohydrate content of rices was similar, but that basmati rice is supposed to have a lower glycaemic index. Mind you, perhaps we should be discussing this in the rice thread

Hi Harpy

Thanks for making me check what I posted, made me look up my Readers Digest book.

Actually the book says that different types of rice have different amount of amylose which is a kind of starch, therefore a carbohydrate.

The amylose content of rice determines its GI index. However there are some type that though they have high amylose content they have low GI and basmati is one of them.
    Respect for all living entities

The health food store only sells this tiny things of oat grouts at an insanely expensive amount. I got unprocessed rolled oats instead. Man, I was looking forward to grinding my own

Thumbs up Re: Poor vegan, cheap living

Quote samariah View Post
    i dont have much money but i find it exciting and fun to find creative ways to reduce my spending/dependence on money. some of the things i do:

-buy clothing/shoes strictly from thrift shops. so much more fun than regular shopping in my opinion, and you can find such cool stuff for barely anything.
    -not owning a car. if possibly get a used bike and/or walk as much as possible. you will be more fit too! i want to move to a place with less suburban sprawl in the near future so this method becomes even easier.
    -using a drying rack, washing clothing with cold water, wearing things over again (spray with febreeze helps, hehe)
    -rarely ever eating out
    -finding cheap/free fun hobbies (hiking, camping with friends, messing around on used instruments, hanging out at parks, sitting at coffee house for hours conversing about anything and everything, listening to music, cooking at home (instead of going out), not drinking hardly ever, going on cheap day long adventures to anywhere and everywhere)
    -not using expensive skin care products. water actually is an awesome cleanser combined with a wash cloth.
    -saving change in a jar

ill add more when i think of them

Two thumbs up! I like your style!

Default Re: Poor vegan, cheap living

I decided to save money recently by buying fruit and veg from the market rather than the supermarket. I quickly found out though that it wasn't any cheaper and that I preferred doing my shopping in a place where I didn't have someone yelling "TWO FOR TWO PAHND!" in my ear constantly.

The cheapest option I've found is to visit supermarkets in the evening when all their stuff is reduced the most.

As much as it would be nice if it were true, local shops in general just cannot compete with supermarkets on price, especially once you take in to account reductions, discount vouchers and loyalty cards.

patientia

My friends and I do most of our grocery shopping in Slovenia. Almost everything is cheaper there than in Croatia. Food VAT in Slovenia is 8.5%, and in Croatia it's 23% (except for bread and animal milk, which is 0%, I don't buy animal milk and I have a bread maker). Also, fruits and vegs are of better quality in Slovenia, here they are often tasteless, rancid, rotten...

gotta love the supermarkets' "almost out of date" section
    i wish it was raining

BlackCats

Quote Risker View Post
    I decided to save money recently by buying fruit and veg from the market rather than the supermarket. I quickly found out though that it wasn't any cheaper and that I preferred doing my shopping in a place where I didn't have someone yelling "TWO FOR TWO PAHND!" in my ear constantly.
    I find that shouting thing really annoying too Risker! I do prefer the taste of fruit and veg that has been outside rather than in supermarkets though.

We have been doing much better this year with trying to save up. We have a savings account in case one of our cats gets ill and we also have a savings account so we can spend it on Christmas presents at the end of the year. (We don't have a lot of money in either account but at least it's a start.)

RubyDuby

I wish we had those!
    I keep buying food that is expired! ...full price of course.

Don't your supermarkets reduce the price of stuff that's about to expire, RubyDuby? I wonder why not.

Can you get your money back on the expired stuff? Although it may well be OK to eat of course, depending on what it is.

patientia

I buy food that is about to expire. It's edible for much much longer. I'm not afraid that I might get food poisoning from expired vegan food, it just might have less nutrients.

RubyDuby

nope, never seen such a thing!

We did return 1 item because we noticed while putting groceries away and still had the receipt. I should hope they'd let us return without a receipt, but I haven't tried... I mean, who keeps their grocery slips? The rest of the stuff we just ate.

I think maybe they are better in the US about giving out-of-date food to food banks etc than we are here? So perhaps that reduces the motivation to reduce the price in the hope of shifting it, although I would have thought they'd still like to get money for it if possible.

I can see they might want receipts for out-of-date stuff in case you'd picked it out of the bin round the back or bought it a while ago...

RubyDuby

yes, if they'd seen my face before... otherwise I hope they'd give the customer the benefit of doubt in this case. After all, they sold expired food. Not a good business strategy.

They are good about giving expired food to food banks.

Not sure why the food bank idea has been so slow to take off here - some of them do do it http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/o...re/8329781.stm but I don't think it's nearly as widespread as in the US and so there is a lot of waste.

Here there's a difference between sell-by and use-by dates here and they can get into trouble for selling food that's past its use-by date but not its sell-by date. I guess you have a similar distinction do you?

ETA here's a link about the sell-by/use-by distinction in case anyone's interested http://www.eatwell.gov.uk/asksam/foo...rules/#A219994

RubyDuby

Yes, we have use by/sell by here as well.

As far as cheap food, I am loving summer. The farmers market here is wonderful for inexpensive fruits and veg, as long as you aren't picky about what you want to buy. Not everything is cheap, but I come away with a ton for just dollars every saturday!

•I've used a deodorant rock for about half a year now. If I'm about to do something where I think I'll get extra sweaty and be in public without the chance to wash, then I'll cheat and use natural stick deodorant. But the rock is cheap considering it's supposed to last at least a year and it was like $6, I think. (Just don't drop it. I'm lucky mine didn't break in half.)
    •I don't shave in the winter. Saves on buying razors.
    •I don't use makeup.
    •I use baking soda mixed in water to wash my hair, but I'm thinking of switching to water only, just to see how it goes...) One box of baking soda will last longer than shampoo, so it ends up being cheaper.
    •I had natural aloe Kiss My Face toothpaste, but it ran out, so now I'm using whatever's in my mom's cabinet. Before I go back to school I'll probably try out the DIY toothpaste with baking soda and maybe hydrogen peroxide. It certainly sounds cheaper. If I could grow my own mint, I might save even more money if I want to flavor my paste.
    •I recently decided not to paint my toenails anymore. (Or at least not without a really special occasion. I used to keep them painted all the time because I was self-conscious of my toenails. But they seem fine now. I almost never paint my fingernails because I hate having the paint chip off.) I have no idea if nail polish is vegan, but I imagine it was tested at one time or another, and I've never heard of non-tested nail polish.
    •I'll try to get an aloe plant soon. I hear the juice inside is good to put on cuts and stuff. (Sometimes aloe is sold bottled as a toical sun burn remedy. Obviously if you're growing it, you don't have to buy it, but you might need a few larger plants if you get burned a lot.)
    •I went back to using washcloths instead of loofahs (puff balls used with body wash in the shower). I think wash cloths are cheaper and easier to recycle/re-purpose. Body wash is usually more wasteful than bar soap (packaging) and it's generally more expensive, in my experience.
    •I was relieved to find that others smell their gently worn clothes to see if they can be worn another day. I probably wear my shirts about two or three days (not in a row) before I wash them. Not because I'm trying to save money, water, or the environment, but just because I'm too lazy to lug my laundry down to the first floor of my dorm building to wash. It does have the added benefit of being cheaper because I use the 3X concentrated detergent, and it lasts me a school year. Eventually, when I run out of the detergent that was given to me for free, I'll probably switch to a more environmental friendly detergent. Jeans get worn a lot before I wash them. Maybe that's why I feel the need to use body spray... I swear, I don't think I'm smelly. I shower every other day! (Also saves money.)
    •In the summer I wear sandals and not socks. It saves the water/detergent from being used on a bunch of dirty socks.
    •Obviously growing your own vegan food is vegan... and cheaper unless you're doing something weird. But in my dorm room, I have limited options. I have a nice south-facing window for herbs. So far I have sweet basil. I work in the greenhouse, so maybe I can work in some peas without anyone noticing... I don't know much about growing food, especially in a greenhouse. But herbs work great on a sunny windowsill. Research each herb first to make sure you can cater to their individual growing needs.

Sorry this post is so long... That's about all I can think of, aside from things mentioned in the thread "alternative menstrual products."

These aren't all exactly the only options for vegans, but they're cheap(er), and I think they're all vegan, to my knowledge.
    "I am not a vegetarian because I love animals; I am a vegetarian because I hate plants." ~A. Whitney Brown

We've decided to grow some sprouting seeds/beans and i was wondering if anyone has any fav's and what methods fellow vegans use e.g. hemp bag, jar.....I'm thinking about investing in some hemp bags any help with this would be great first timer but would love to save some money!
    Peace, Love and Coffee =)

I like sprouting puy lentils. I have a plastic sprouter with drainage holes, but sometimes I don't bother with it because it seems I always make a lot that way and don't always get through them, sometimes instead I just soak the lentils in a thin layer in a jar overnight and then drain and leave them in the jar, they usually sprout fine just doing that, with a rinsing once a day.

I've never heard of sprouting using a hemp bag?
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Quote snivelingchild View Post
    Any other poor vegans out there who resort to eating the worst thing when they can't afford groceries?
    Last week, before I got some grocery money, I found myself eating white bread hot dog bun dipped in barbeque sauce!!!
    I'm so ashamed...
    Oh, stop Snivelling Child!

Seriously ... I went through a desperately skint period when I had not just myself but three kiddies to feed as well.

Here's two usefull tricks I learned ...

1. Dal and Chapatti: Lentils and chapatti flour are both as 'cheap as chips' but being a 'grains over beans' combination you could survive on that alone for months, if not, years.

2. Closing time at the market: I used to go to the fresh produce stalls at closing time with whatever money I had left and ask them if they had any stuff they were going to have throw out at the end of the day. Sometimes I would get a couple of bags chock-full of fresh fruit'n'veg for just a couple of quid.
    All done in the best possible taste ...

I'm on page three of this thread right now but thought I'd post this before I forget;

For all you guys who don't iron clothes (me too!) you should hang them up on hangers in your bathroom after you've taken a shower. The high humidity and heat makes creases drop out much easier (I could go into a scientific explanation about hydrogen bonds but I don't want to bore you senseless!).

B x

Quote Squiggle View Post
    I've never heard of sprouting using a hemp bag?
    there called sproutmans hemp bags aparently there better than anythin else due to better air circulation no mould etc you can youtube it theres a few video's on them..... thanks im thinking about seeds more than anything do you ever sprout them?

Wrong quote there

Quote Squiggle View Post
    Wrong quote there
    hmmm i wonder how that happened

I think it's time for me to say "pillowcases" again.
    Problematic is waking someone whom pretends to sleep.

Default Re: Cheap vegan food

^What in the world are you going to do with that many sprouts??

Haha, before I read your post - just saw the picture, I thought 'pillowcases!' :-D
    Let the music mend our minds. Let the music bend our minds.

I think you should put them on the ground, get naked and roll around in them. thats what I would do.

^Not to self- don't let MissB make me a salad

I suspect missbettie's comment was an oblique reference to your "cows in pasture" avatar Diashel.

That amount of sprouts would last me about a week.

About twenty percent protein dry weight;
    300 grammes dry yeilding 60grammes protein [with valuable methionine];
    Seven days needing two point one kilos...which is approaching three UK money pounds at the moment.

Plenty of other nutrients involved of course, plus water included. No cooking necessary, so obvious savings there. No pots nor jars required either... just somewhere to hang the bag, and a rinse.

Just to clarify my comment about pasture... I was suggesting that cows also roll around in their sprouts . I was not refering impolitely to any features which might be common to humans and cows.

Oh come on Dia!!! You know you want one!!!

naw....i'm pretty close to a cow.