Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Poor vegan, cheap living

Default Re: healthy but cheap foods?

I don't know if CC would agree, but I think that stirfrying quickly in a minimum of oil (possibly rapeseed for a better omega 3/6 balance) is a very healthy and enjoyable way to pack in the veggies. If you're really concerned about even that much oil ( I usually only use 1 tbsp), there are techniques for doing a similar thing starting with a bit of hot veggie broth in your wok - but I'm afraid I've never looked too much into those!

ConsciousCuisine

I make rice like that and add in any veggies I have plus umeboshi instead of tamari! MMM! I don't fry in oil. I make it with a bit of water or broth to mix it up and sometimes steam the veggies lightly so that I don't need to cook the thing for more than 3 minutes total *then* add the oil to each serving after the cooking is done (topping it with the oil, nutritional yeast, umeboshi and garlic powder).

Oils can become oxidized easily and when cooked at high temperatures (especially for prolonged periods of time) they become toxic to the body. That is why I always suggest adding oils after cooking is completed or using coconut or palm oil when heating.

That being said, cooking oil for three minutes should not be a great concern at this time. As long as you are eating regularly, getting enough calories and having a variety of foods you will be okay.

thanx bittersweet and cc
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

When I am poor (which I am right now), I tend to live off dhal (split peas/or lentils) and brown rice, bean/veggie based stews/soups and cheap fruits, like apples. I was eating organic but it got too costly, so back to basics for us. I am still splurging on my organic bread coz the other breads are not "food". They are full of emulsifiers and preservatives. I would make my own bread, coz that is meant to be super cheap, but I don't think that I would be successful without a bread machine

Default Re: The Cheap Thread

i got this great cookbook called "please feed me" and its a vegan punk rock cook book. alot of thai food and alot of cheap stuff. even a recipe for the vegan homeless

i also think lentils are the perfect food. cheap and easy.

Default Re: The Cheap Thread

i use half the amount of facial cleansing/toning/moisturizing products so they last twice as long.

stock up on natural soap when i do have money (got some at christmas and theyve lasted this whole time! still have three bars left. wont be surprized if i wont need to get soap until next christmas. my family likes to get it for me as a gift because its the nice smelling natural soap, which is great for me!)

i do clothes laundry only about once every one or two weeks. (thank god for my mom for having bought me so many clothes!)

i try to use the toaster oven as often as possible now instead of a convential oven which saves on the electric bill.

i try to make cheap vegetables the staple in my diet (potatoes, carrots, onions, etc.) and try to rarely get groceries by using what i have up.

only drink water now (other than the occasional sip of boyfriends juice/pop) so that i dont have to buy juice.

use half the amount of washing detergent for washing clothes and such, as it works JUST as well and the amount given on the bottle/box is just a qimick so u use more! :P

i use plastic reusable containers for boyfriends lunches and whatnot rather than plastic wrap which is good for the environment and for saving money on plastic wrap!

Default Re: Poor vegan, cheap living

The healthiest foods are the most expensive ones. There are only a handful of exceptions: carrots, sweet potatoes, onions, cabbage, apples, and seasonal fruit.

There is a disturbing trend: the more nutrient-dense, the more it costs, and the more nutrient-sparse, the less it costs.

nutrient density vs food costs

nutrient density is the sum of fraction of DRIs met for vitamins
    and minerals divided by calories per 100 g portion.

food nutrient density $cost per 1000 calories
    white rice 1.1 $0.13
    oatmeal 1.5 $0.26
    flax seed 1.5 $0.26
    whole wheat flour 1.4 $0.32
    brown rice 1.2 $0.41
    lentils dried 1.8 $0.51
    black beans dried 1.4 $0.66
    bananas 1.2 $0.97
    walnuts shelled 0.9 $1.01
    whole wheat bread 1.4 $1.07
    black beans canned 1.3 $1.18
    olive oil extra virgin 0.4 $1.28
    collards 10 $1.84
    onion 1.5 $2.05
    carrots 23.8 $2.42
    apples 0.5 $2.92
    mixed frozen vegetables 4 $3.06
    oranges 2.5 $3.23
    cabbage 8.8 $3.58
    sweet potato 8.6 $3.71
    peaches, raw 1.6 $3.90
    grapes 0.9 $4.12
    pineapple, raw 2.8 $4.59
    lowfat soymilk 2 $5.50
    broccoli 15.8 $6.41
    frozen blackberries 2.9 $6.85
    scallions, raw 9.1 $6.88
    green bell pepper 7.3 $8.47
    frozen strawberries 4 $9.38
    frozen stir fry mix 5 $10.32
    tomato 4.9 $10.89
    parsley 26.9 $12.24
    chicory greens raw 14.7 $12.35
    spinach, frozen 36.7 $12.59
    romaine 16.5 $12.83
    cucumber 4.8 $14.68
    alfalfa sprouts, raw 3.9 $15.19
    red bell pepper 17.2 $16.94
    spinach, fresh 36.7 $19.73
    radicchio 5.3 $29.37
    swiss chard 50.5 $30.84

White rice is $0.13 for 1000 kcal, while swiss chard is almost $31 for 1000 kcal.

If you want a lot of variety in your produce, you have to pay more.

If you want fresh instead of frozen or canned, you have to pay more.

If you want a riot of colors and the widest scope of protective phytochemicals, you have to pay more.

Unless you grow your own.

I get a lot of my produce in the markdown bin at my grocer's, just before it spoils. There is no way I could afford it otherwise.

"How to eat cheaply as a vegan" is a boiler plate thread in all of the vegan forums I have seen.

I think the usual tips for eating cheaply as an omni apply to vegan diets as well. I think the same issues are involved.

If you prepare recipes from scratch, comparison shop, buy in bulk, minimize eating out, freeze left overs, and stock up on sales your food budget will cost you less money. If not, you will pay more.

I find it interesting that people see eating cheaply on a vegan diet as a different set of issues.

My guess is that many new vegans go with prepared and processed foods...which will always cost more.

Beans made from scratch, whole grains, fruit and vegetables are the healthiest of foods. Depending on what you pick they are also the cheapest.

Beyond that I think everyone should get a pressure cooker. They make beans and tubers taste much better. They make beans easier to digest. They also make all of that stuff in about 15 min.

For 1 US dollar you can get enough dried beans for several meals and a pressure cooker makes it practical.

I am scared as hell of a pressure cooker. My boyfriend and I tried to make dhal in it once and it was a disaster!!!!!

Well I buy dried lentils and split peas, but canned chickpeas, kidney beans, black beans etc, coz they are the culprits for taking so goddam long to cook! Lentils and split peas require no soaking and lentils cook so quickly!

LOL - you just brought back a childhood memory for me Banana! A kitchen covered in some kind of liquid and my mother not very happy, cleaning the ceiling!

You just painted the picture perfectly

Oh and I had another idea for being cheap. Instead of eating avocado all the time (coz they are pretty expensive), I am going to make my own dips with canned beans. They last ages and they are healthy too. Yesterday I made babaganouj (or however you spell it) with an eggplant that needed to be used, unhulled tahini, cumin, sea salt and lemon juice. It is really yummy and I am having it for lunch today

heh im 15 and my mom gives me a £10 a week food allowance.. I get rice, veggies, lentil soup

my main meals are: Stir frys and chips which i eat way too much of
    soup obviously
    and very rarely soya dinners like alternatives
    rice and pasta

I have a really really unhealthy diet because i just fried and carb filled meals all the time!
    But again as soon as i get a job i can have more luxuries; homous, nuts yummy stuff!!
    :mad: 500 Animals are Tortured & Killed inside of Huntingdon Life Sciences Every single day for research into colourings, cosmetics etc that only 5% of results apply to humans :mad:

Quote Trudatman
    I find myself poor almost always. I usually end up buying two-dollar items at the local Stop e Shop. $2: not from concentrate Canadian apple juice, natural apple sauce, Teddy peanut butter... not much of a meal, not much in the way of being nutritionally complete. It is a struggle to be poor. I am lucky to live in a relatively enlightened area; I feel for those in slums with only corner bodegas to shop at. If I set up a post office box, would rich vegans send me food money?
    i would if i was rich!! you're very cheeky. Whats a bodegas??

trudatman

A store with bare shelves and specialty items. See the movie Half Baked for an accurate description.

Now that the warmer weather is here Trudatman, you should be able to find some fresh fruit and veggies at a good price! Or perhaps you could grow your own?

trudatman

I pick wild berries under power lines.

Quote Trudatman
    I pick wild berries under power lines.
    Is that safe? You could make jam out of them.

mmmmmmm berries

trudatman

Went today. Black raspberries, red raspberries, blueberries.

Mmmmm yummy!

Gliondrach

Leigh, on the 20th Jan, asked about natural cleaning products. Here's a good link:

http://housekeeping.about.com/cs/env...rnateclean.htm

Gliondrach

I save money by buying fruit and veg in markets or local shops. Much cheaper than supermarkets.

Also, I don't drink alcohol, don't smoke, and don't go on holidays. I've always been careful with money, having grown up very poor. I appreciate money and never waste it. I used to make my own bread - the second best I've ever tasted - but it used to take up all of Sunday to make it. I'm thinking of buying a bread making machine because I'm sick of the rubbish that is sold in shops.

I rarely have lights on. I exercise in the dark and have a bath in the dark. Well, I know where everything is and don't need to see it.

This might be a bit extreme for some people but it seems quite natural to me.

Wow, this thread being bumped made me realise how much my diet has changed since I posted that first message. Now, 90% of my groceries are fresh produce and foods in their natural state, I eat 95% organic, and feel sick if I have anything near as bad as I described there. Well, that was when I had just gone vegan and still had crap loading my pantry, but still. Sheesh. I can't believe I ever did that!

Sniveling, this makes me so sad that you were so down & out. We're practicaly neighbors.

How are you since the Hurricane?? I live in the section Rita plowed through. It's been horrible. We're picking back up though. Some ppl still arent home or back together with their families.

Glad to hear that life is on the mend for you cafejane. I hope things continue to get better for you.

aww Rox, you took the time out to leave a comment for me.

Thankies. (((HUGGS)))

is there a food not bombs in your town?

mango woman

I'm a cheap college student living on my own so saving any amount of money is always a good thing. I am currently trying to reduce my waste [garbage etc] which actually saves money too. this is what i've been up to:

Started making my own bread [cheaper because you get about 2-3 loaves from one bag of flour, and you only end up throwing out the packaging from the flour bag rather than the double bagged bread]. It's so exciting to make your own bread.. well okay, I am compulsive so maybe it's just me.

I think i may start to make my own hummus too because that way i can buy a cardboard box of the mix and then make it as i need it and just reuse the old hummus containers i have from before.. maybe? I'm trying to think of other things i can make on my own as well. I'm sure i'll come up with some more. I want to learn how to make my own peanut butter!!!

Started saving all containers and bags and not buying items with unnecessary packaging [i hate when fruits and veggies are wrapped in shrink wrap or something.. sooooooo unnecessary!] Also still bring my own grocery bags to stores, reuse those bags as trash bags, and so on.

I found out the other day that the pick n save [a grocery store] near my apartment sells this toilet paper for 1.15 for a 4-pack and it's called like Green leaf or Green Tree or something and is made from recycled materials.. so that's cool!

I've stopped buying things like kleenex and napkins and paper towel. I rarely bought any of those items normally though, so not a big change there. Whenever i print something on my comp that I don't end up using, i cut the paper into about 4-6 pieces and use it for scrap paper.

I'm going to start using natural alternatives for many things that i use once those products are gone. For example, shaving cream, face wash, dish soap, shampoo, conditioner, and others. I have to look into a few of those still for recipes so if anyone has any suggestions post em up!

It's basically winter here now but I am going to still try and sprout my own sprouts.. this is where i need a bit of assistance. Any suggestions? Is there anything else that i could easily grow in my apartment?

I'm trying to think of what to do with my organic waste.. like the scraps from all the fruits and veggies and coffee grounds. I don't like just throwing it with the other trash- i feel like there MUST be something i can do with it... In the summer I am going to rent out a small square of my mum's back yard and make a garden just for me It's gonna be so great.. so then i will use the waste for compost.. but until then... any advice?

I think that's the most of it. I write wayyyy too long of posts. sorry!!! I like this thread.. we should share more tips between us on how to help the envirionment/save money.

In general i try to use something AT LEAST once if possible before recycling it or throwing it out.

REDUCE REUSE RECYCLE!!!!

`````````````````````````````````````````````````` `````````````

dont quite understand the above post! but....

ashleybeyer, i too recycle alot. except here, they wont take your garbabe unless you recycle everything that can be recycled. so you HAVE to recycle all of your stuff that can be (ie. hard plastics, tins, papers, boxes). so i recycle a load of stuff, and have found that now since doing that, we only have one bag of garbage a week, rather than way more. its great. it makes me feel good that im recycling so much. and we also recycle all the bottles/cans.

to save money and help the earth, i make some household cleaners, and also buy the natural ones aswell. we buy recycled toilet paper also. we dont buy tissues or paper towel or things like that.

we also use canvas bags for groceries and reuse all of the plastic ones we have leftover.

my bf and i either walk, or take the bus, which also helps the earth.

i also bake my own bread.

i use alot of natural beauty treatments and health remedies aswell, since they are better for the earth, the animals, myself, and are cheaper in some cases!

oh, we also recently switched to energy efficient light bulbs to save us money in the long run, AND help the earth by reducing electricity.

and the only heat we use is a little tiny heater that doesnt really do anything so we rarely use it. that way it saves on electricity and oil.

also, i use a small conventional oven instead of the large one to save on electricity.

we always turn off the lights.

next summer, im hopefully going to beable to start a veggie garden and a compost aswell

I have one of those foodsaver vacuum sealers. It is amazing how well it keeps food from spoiling. I also freeze a lot of meals in the sealer packs. There is a really cool outdoor discount vegetable and fruit stand near my house called the swap shop. I get a kinds of stuff cheap even avacados. I do als buy a lot of dry grains and beans. When I was really bad off I lived on lentils and chick peas. Lentils and brown rice, lentil salad, lentil soup, dahl and rice, lentil sandwich spread, lentils and spinach, hummus with everything-cucmbers,carrots, pita etc. I also make my own bread.
    "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."

mango woman

Quote foxytina_69
    ashleybeyer, i too recycle alot. except here, they wont take your garbabe unless you recycle everything that can be recycled. so you HAVE to recycle all of your stuff that can be (ie. hard plastics, tins, papers, boxes). so i recycle a load of stuff, and have found that now since doing that, we only have one bag of garbage a week, rather than way more. its great. it makes me feel good that im recycling so much. and we also recycle all the bottles/cans.

next summer, im hopefully going to beable to start a veggie garden and a compost aswell

Awesome! I wish that was the case here! I swear NO ONE recycles here. It makes me so sad.

I'm excited for my garden next summer! I don't know what to grow though! Have you thought of anything yet foxytina?

just my favorite things, that are easy. such as tomatoes, lettuce, carrots, things like that are pretty easy to grow. and then maybe a little strawberry plant aswell and i have a couple apple trees, but dont know how to take care of them! and then maybe some sprouts on the window sill.

mango woman

Quote foxytina_69
    just my favorite things, that are easy. such as tomatoes, lettuce, carrots, things like that are pretty easy to grow. and then maybe a little strawberry plant aswell and i have a couple apple trees, but dont know how to take care of them! and then maybe some sprouts on the window sill.

Cool cool. Those were what I was thinking.. simple but staples in my diet. I'm so excited- i bought a sprouter and a huge mixture of like 14 different kinds of sprouts and then i get to start sprouting! That will save money and just be cool! hmm... I need non-plant friends.

Quote foxytina_69
    I grew a strawberry plant once. It grew one strawberry, and I was so excited, and I waited for more to grow. The strawberry went black and I never saw another strawberry on that plant again

I wish I could grow a date palm....

Same thing happened to me. I dont get why?

Quote Queen Medjool
    I grew a strawberry plant once. It grew one strawberry, and I was so excited, and I waited for more to grow. The strawberry went black and I never saw another strawberry on that plant again

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."

Quote Queen Medjool

you and me both! too bad date palms are extremely hard to take care of.. not considering you have to climb up the huge thing and get that really heavy bundle down.. oh yeah, and maybe the whole climate issue as well. oh if only they were like little bushels that you can put in a garden. that'd be awesome. I would be in heaven.
    "Boy, I got a vision and the rest of the world wears bifocals."
    -- Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid

Mmmm...this thread looked like it was new, but the last post was November...

anyway, i have just discovered that I can resuse the glass jars food comes in as storage containers.

Yes, I know, I am brilliant. But the idea just came to me! I have decided I don't want to use plastic anymore, so I needed glass and yet I buy glass containers everyday full of food. The best is the Heinz sour pickle jar - it is so big with a really wide mouth. I am storing a large amount of corriander I purchased at the indian grocery in one, and red lentils in the other. Also, tiny jars work well for little amounts of leftovers or tiny amounts of spices.

Yea me!

And I have convinced myself that a buch of mis matched glass in my cupboard looks cool too!

Good for you wildflower, reading your post i thought - why don't we all do that. I have to take lunch and an evening meal to work when I do 12 hour shifts and they always taste horrible after they,ve been in plastic all day. Same with boiled water, our kettle must leach plastic into the water because it tastes foul. I am off out today to purchase a stove top kettle made of metal. We can use it on the hot plate on our woodburner when we have that installed this year too!
    Silent but deadly :p

Quote theashleybeyer

I think i may start to make my own hummus too because that way i can buy a cardboard box of the mix and then make it as i need it and just reuse the old hummus containers i have from before.. maybe?

You get a box of hummus mix? It's dead easy to make it from scratch - just get a can of chick peas and whack it in the food processor with tahini, lemon juice, garlic and some liquid - water, or maybe the liquid the chick peas came in (check the packaging to be sure of this).

Quote theashleybeyer

I'm trying to think of other things i can make on my own as well. I'm sure i'll come up with some more. I want to learn how to make my own peanut butter!!!
    That's easy too - just get peanuts and put 'em in the food pocessor with some vegetable oil. Whizz a little for rough butter, longer for smooth. And you're done! Good luck on your culinary voyage

Quote Hemlock
    Good for you wildflower, reading your post i thought - why don't we all do that. I have to take lunch and an evening meal to work when I do 12 hour shifts and they always taste horrible after they,ve been in plastic all day. Same with boiled water, our kettle must leach plastic into the water because it tastes foul. I am off out today to purchase a stove top kettle made of metal. We can use it on the hot plate on our woodburner when we have that installed this year too!
    I have an electric kettle at home that is metal...the kind that plugs in, can you have that at work? I also noticed that about tea, when I try to make tea at work in a metal or plastic cup (you know the kind for keeping coffee warm? travel mug thing) it tastes like crap. I know the boiling water in the plastic probably leached it all out and I was drinking toxic sludge. Tea only seems to taste right when made in glass (ceramic) mugs or a ceramic pot. My metal tea kettle works great though for boiling water, I don't taste anything weird, I make great tea and coffee with it.

i used to have an electric kettle. now when i want tea i boil the water in my glass cup in the microwave. i dont notice a difference.

its odd that i find the cheapst foods are also the healthiest. kale, brown rice, lentils, beans, veggies, some fruits.

and yet i manage to eat crap still. oh tina.

Quote fiamma

You get a box of hummus mix? It's dead easy to make it from scratch - just get a can of chick peas and whack it in the food processor with tahini, lemon juice, garlic and some liquid - water, or maybe the liquid the chick peas came in (check the packaging to be sure of this).

That's easy too - just get peanuts and put 'em in the food pocessor with some vegetable oil. Whizz a little for rough butter, longer for smooth. And you're done! Good luck on your culinary voyage
    Really on the peanutbutter?
    What wonderfull news
    AND I can use my old peanut butter jars to store it in. HEHEHEHEHEHEHHEHE *laughs all the way to the bank*
    it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble

mango woman

WOW. i posted that a long time ago. I've seen how i've learned.. and i can't believe i ever suggested a BOXED hummus..

and for the peanut butter.. well ive already made my own haha.. and it's incredibly simple. I must have been in the middle of a stroke when i posted that.

Here's my list of money saving tips.

I very rarely buy new clothes and when I do I get them from thrift stores. I also buy a lot of other things from thrift stores.

I always buy whatever fresh fruits, veggies and bulk bin items are on sale.

I don't buy many pre-packaged or processed foods.

For entertainment my husband and I go to the second run $1.00 theater.

I make all of my own household cleansers. Vinegar and water for glass, olive oil for furniture polish, vinegar and lemon juice for most other surfaces, and add some baking soda if I need some scrubbing action.

I reuse all containers (margarine tubs, glass jars, etc)

Eating out is a treat reserved for special occasions.

steev and i only buy groceries that are on sale LOL.

[quote=Wildflower]
    anyway, i have just discovered that I can resuse the glass jars food comes in as storage containers.

What a brilliant idea I do recycle our glass jars and cans which are collected by our council, and the amount of times I've thought I must buy some storage containers for my dried fruit and nuts etc. I can't believe I didn't think of this myself
    BIG THANKS Wildflower. It'll also save me money which is a bonus x
    All of life is a dream walking
    All of death is a going home Chinese saying

[QUOTE=Poppy]
    Quote Wildflower

What a brilliant idea I do recycle our glass jars and cans which are collected by our council, and the amount of times I've thought I must buy some storage containers for my dried fruit and nuts etc. I can't believe I didn't think of this myself
    BIG THANKS Wildflower. It'll also save me money which is a bonus x

Smile eating cheaply

Whether you're a student, raising a family on a low-income budget, or just trying to make ends meet, choosing to buy vegan foods doesn't mean you have to break the bank. Sure, you can splurge on savory mock meats and non-dairy cheeses that are readily available in grocery stores everywhere, but there are plenty of delicious and nutritious vegan options that don't require spending a lot of money.

Above is the first para in a website http://www.tryveg.com/cfi/toc/?v=07budget that has a number of money saving tips especially for newbies, students, etc.
    Eve

Limey

Default Re: eating cheaply

Great, thanks eve! I'm a poor newbie vegan