Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Poor vegan, cheap living

Default Re: Poor vegan, cheap living

My hours have been cut at work and I'm now earning about $200 less per fortnight than I was previously.

I am really bad for opening things, using half, putting it aside and opening something else. Things like condiments, rice, couscous, pasta, salad dressings, shampoo etc.

I've decided to make a more conscious effort to use up what I've already bought before buying any more. Hopefully that will help save a bit and my boyfriend won't get upset at me for having a trillion half used bottles of stuff all over the place.

Quote Roxy View Post
    My hours have been cut at work and I'm now earning about $200 less per fortnight than I was previously.

I am really bad for opening things, using half, putting it aside and opening something else. Things like condiments, rice, couscous, pasta, salad dressings, shampoo etc.

I've decided to make a more conscious effort to use up what I've already bought before buying any more. Hopefully that will help save a bit and my boyfriend won't get upset at me for having a trillion half used bottles of stuff all over the place.
    I too huy new before I have finished the one I'm using. However as I don't like to waste anything I always get the last drop out before I throw it away.
    Toothpaste: When I am unable to squeeze any more out of it I cut the top off the tube and there is usually a fair bit left inside the top part, which I can use! I stop it drying out by putting it in a plastic bag (recycled of course). I do the same with tubes of moisturiser or anything in a tube, it lasts a few days longer. If it is in bottle I add water and shake it up. Then I get a few more uses out of it. I usually use the Lush solid shampoo bars, they last a few months and its possible to use it right to the last tiny piece! Lush have a special offer at the moment with the bags. If you take your used bag in every time you go and get it stamped you get a free bar of soap on the 4th visit.
    Maybe this has been discussed before but I started saving a lot of money when I stopped trying to buy meals out, like when at work, on the road etc. Taking a "bait box" (packed lunch) is so much cheaper and more convenient too.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

Thanks for the tips about the tubes herbwormwood! Lush had the same deal going here, and I got a free bath bomb on my 4th visit with my "Happy Returns" bag

Anyone using Freecycle forum? Can't get any cheaper than free!
    and Herbwormwood, slowcookers are well insulated and use very little energy (161).
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

BlackCats

I haven't used freecycle yet. Have you donated/received anything good?

I have expunged my house of loads of clutter but have given lots of stuff to charity shops. I think if I did freecycle I would be tempted to fill my house back up with stuff.

Gliondrach

Quote herbwormwood View Post
    Maybe this has been discussed before but I started saving a lot of money when I stopped trying to buy meals out, like when at work, on the road etc. Taking a "bait box" (packed lunch) is so much cheaper and more convenient too.

Yes, taking your bait to work is much cheaper. And you know what's in it. And you can avoid having to mingle with obnoxious people if you prefer to eat alone. I always eat alone - not always out of choice.

If I was going anywhere for the day I would take my own food. I scrape tahini jars and jam jars with a knife to get every last bit out. I also find that buying fruit and veg from small fruit and veg shops is cheaper than buying it in supermarkets. I try to avoid supermarkets as they are all owned by the Devil.

I never put the heating on. If it's cold I wear an old jacket. I didn't need it this Winter, except on a couple of days. People are too used to too much heat.

Quote Aphrodite View Post
    I haven't used freecycle yet. Have you donated/received anything good?

I have expunged my house of loads of clutter but have given lots of stuff to charity shops. I think if I did freecycle I would be tempted to fill my house back up with stuff.
    I used to use the Freecycle list here in Brighton until I got fed up with the moderators nabbing all the best stuff.
    I discovered this when putting up some nice stuff to take away and received replies before it ever made the Yahoo list. I checked, and the offenders were mods.
    NFM now.

BlackCats

Horselesspaul - I have read about other people on websites being annoyed about freecycle.
    Some entrepreneurial (or selfish) people go on freecycle and then sell things on at car boots or ebay etc.
    Its a nice idea in theory but I suppose some people will always be greedy.

I think its a good idea if you have something to get rid of that would end up in a dump as it lets someone be creative and use it themselves.

Quote Aphrodite View Post
    Horselesspaul - I have read about other people on websites being annoyed about freecycle.
    Some entrepreneurial (or selfish) people go on freecycle and then sell things on at car boots or ebay etc.
    Its a nice idea in theory but I suppose some people will always be greedy.

I think its a good idea if you have something to get rid of that would end up in a dump as it lets someone be creative and use it themselves.
    I think it's a great idea when done as an unmoderated Yahoo list with items given away to the first respondant, as a general rule.
    I have passed on some good stuff to people who needed it in the past.
    It's all gone Pete Tong here now sadly. imo.

i've mostly used the Brighton Freecycle to get rid of things, but i've found people aren't interested in what i'm offering any more because none of it is financially valuable. on the rare occasions i've tried to get hold of something i needed it was always gone as soon as it was offered. it's a shame because it's a good idea.

I do more giving then getting. I have stuff outgrown by my little one that I wait for a 'wanted' post to give away (to avoid disappointing folks).

I got some things for new kitty and a better bed for my child.

It helps to live near a posh area

Quote cobweb View Post
    ...So I have to start shopping in Lidl again. The stuff is fine but it bothers me greatly that it's not organic...
    Our local Lidl has a selection of organic fruit and vegetables. They seem to be having more frequent deliveries now and the stuff's been okay. Just wish they'd keep some of the fruit and vegetables chilled where required.

Have you found Lidl own brand choco and plain soya milk?

Quote Gorilla View Post
    i've mostly used the Brighton Freecycle to get rid of things, but i've found people aren't interested in what i'm offering any more because none of it is financially valuable. on the rare occasions i've tried to get hold of something i needed it was always gone as soon as it was offered. it's a shame because it's a good idea.
    Freecycle's a good idea but in our experience is being exploited by people more interested in finding stuff to resell than saving the environment. We're in the process of having a serious sort-out and have come off Freecycle in favour of taking the next car-load of stuff to the local charity shops.

Quote herbwormwood View Post
    Have you found Lidl own brand choco and plain soya milk?
    Yes. My hubby says the plain version is okay on his cereal. I told our son about the chocolate flavour and he now buys this for himself when doing his food shopping. I have to be in the mood for soya milk on cereal but do enjoy a banana blitzed in the liquidizer with some soya milk.

cobweb

mMM, that Lidl choc-milk is gorgeous

BlackCats

I have switched today to buying food online from Waitrose to Tesco.
    I bought loads of value stuff and got about 3-4 times the amount of food for the same money.

can't blame you, Aphrodite but I can't bare to support the Tesco juggernaut.

BlackCats

Yeah, I had switched from Tesco to Waitrose because it was supposed to be greener and more ethical, then realised we had no money and I ate through the food in one week instead of two so I switched back.

Fair enough, I wince when I see the veg prices. So just some tins and paper goods, not much else at Waitrose. The rest comes mostly from my local-4-generation green grocer where I can ask on a Saturday if they want to get rid of the peppers at a good price. Result: 16 organic peppers for £1.60 are now roasted and pureed in the fridge for sauces...

Just me - I've been having a bit of a problem with the freecycle thing recently, there seems to be too many people on there (certainly in the Cardiff area anyway) that are putting 'Wanted' ads up there instead of people trying to actually use it as a recycling source. There's even adverts up for 'Wanted: XBox 360 games.' Find it bad, personally.

Aphrodite - I have been considering trying out the Tesco online shopping service. I don't drive, and the nearest shop to me is a Sainsbury's Central (expensive, and not very well stocked). I have heard some people say that the quality of veg you get from the online shopping is quite poor though cos you're basically getting the dregs they didn't sell in the store. What's your experience with the shopping, if you don't mind me asking?
    I like football. And potatoes.

cobweb

^ sorry to butt in, Frosty, but I use it often (Tesco home delivery) and have never had a problem with the fresh stuff. However, if you don't like what they bring, you can check it and refuse it at the door, or ring and complain/e-mail and complain, and get an instant refund (same if something is missing but paid for).

I always google around for 'Tesco voucher codes' - you can often find virtual money-off vouchers which entitle you to £5 off if you spend £50, thus paying the delivery charge + . I actually spend less online because you can browse around more easily and don't get swayed from what you need .

with online shopping don't you still find you've forgotten something, then go to the supermarket, then spend some more ££££??

cobweb

No, never, because I start my shopping, pay for it, book the delivery, etc, a few days in advance, then keep going back and adding things that pop into my head, so by the time it arrives I've covered everything! .

Now if I actually do the shopping myself I get fed up and leave before I've remembered it all, or I can't find things and give up! .

Cheers for the info cobweb Esp about the vouchers. Good thinking about booking the delivery few days after as well, I am bound to forget something!

x

BlackCats

Frosty - I don't think Tesco is too bad the thing I noticed is the difference in taste as I have switched from organic veg from waitrose to cheap value veg.

They deliver in a two hour window and they have special deals online like the others were saying that you can use vouchers etc.

The stuff they deliver has never been out of date or anything or the dregs just normal stuff.

(I made the mistake of buying cheap tesco bread after eating fresh organic bread and it tastes like cr*p!
    I will not have budget version i'm going back to luxury bread.)

That all sounds good, thanks Aphrodite

This site has some good money saving ideas http://www.frugal.org.uk/ It seems to run by vegans. All the household products tips and recipes are vegan anyway.

I also gave up on my local freecycle group because of the wanted ads outnumbering the offer ads. Our local group also allows animal ads which makes me very angry and would make me sad every time I saw one. I unsubed a little over a month ago and now just use the local thrift shops instead.

Quote ecoanimal View Post
    This site has some good money saving ideas http://www.frugal.org.uk/ It seems to run by vegans. All the household products tips and recipes are vegan anyway.
    I liked the healthy weightloss page, particularly how they suggest soya ice cream or sorbet instead of dairy

I tried posting a 'Wanted: cat' ad on freecycle, Happyvegan, 'cause the local RSPCA doesn't believe in apartment cats (cats should go out and kill birds).
    Of course ad was rejected and I was pointed to another online ads service where I adopted our new family member.

I don't mind more wanted stuff than offers: anything for a wedding or anything for an unfurnished flat I can respond to better than 'Give me cool toys'

One member regularly posts what has been seen in local skips. Now that's recycling!

I just look at my freecycle group via its web site when I want to freecycle an item. I don't get email from them unless its an admin post or someone asking for something I offered. I only use it for disposing of stuff which a charity shop would not accept.

Default Cheap Vegan Shopping in the UK for newbie vegan

Hi everyone,

I turned vegan about a week ago and, while I know I will stick to it, I'm still finding everything really hard. I've been shopping twice since and found that I couldn't buy any of the things I used to like eating. I think I'm getting all the nutrients I need but mealtimes are pretty depressing at the moment and everything is taking so much longer to make.

I know I have to just get used to things but I'm hoping someone can give me some advice. I've found quite a lot of vegan food on the internet which looks great but it's all a bit expensive. Is there anywhere around london (preferably north west london, near harrow) that sells cheap vegan products? I just want one place I can go to so that I can stock up on things like vegan cheese, sauces, snacks etc. Is there anywhere I can buy in bulk? I know there are small health food stores around but their stock is limited and usually only sells things like nuts and chocolate. What I'm looking for is like a big vegan supermarket.

I'm a student so really don't have much money to spare. I know I can eat simple vegan food cheaply but, as I'm a new vegan and still getting used to things, i'd like to buy food that will make things a bit easier and exciting.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Default Re: Cheap Vegan Shopping in the UK for newbie vegan

the best thing i have found so far is Falafel mix in saisburys for £2.99. it makes up to 70 falafel balls which are great for a snack lunch with salsa, salad or in sandwiches. i also snack on humous, with either carrots or wholemeal pitta breads, which is pretty cheap. i also recommend Sainsbury's spicy bean burgers. theyre about £1.80 for 4 1/4 pounders which isnt tooo bad and theyre rather yummy..

i dont think cheap vegan supermarkets exist tbh.. some supermarkets have more vegan food than others (sainsburys and coop seem better than tescos) but things like vegan cheese are ever going to be cheap/easily available.

Congratulations on becoming vegan - best of luck in the first few months while you're finding your feet.

Firstly, things like vegan cheese and snacks are not cheap and often don't go far. It is much cheaper to make your own food from scratch. You could make big pans of chilli, curry, etc and freeze them in separate portions. Did you used to cook before you turned vegan, or buy grub ready made?

Don't feel you need to cook everyday. Big salads are great if they are varied so you don't get bored with them. Stir fries are cheap and quick to make. Avocados are great fast food loaded with good fats ... chop on up, mix with a can of white beans and some chopped tomato and a bit of any herb you like.

For snacks, you could buy a big bags of raisins, apricots, nuts, etc... then make up a box to take to work/school. Or chuck those ingredients in a blender, roll into small balls and roll in cocoa or coconut.

Go for a trip around your local supermarket (or wherever you like to shop) when you have plenty of time, and just wander up and down every aisle looking at everything they sell. We often get into a rut of buying the same things each week and miss out on a lot of other stuff.

What sort of things did you used to eat? - I'm sure you'll get loads of advice and suggestions here to replace them

Thanks for your advice. I'll be sure to check my local sainsbury's a lot more thoroughly next time. Last time I went I was really dissapointed to find that most of the vegetarian food, especially the ready meals, weren't vegan.

Before turning veggie I was addicted to meat which I obviously gave up. Then my favourite food was donuts which I can't eat now either. I know I can make them but to be honest I really haven't got much enthusiasm for cooking. I have been trying to put on weight my whole life and was even told by my dietician that I shouldn't cook too much because I tend to use up all my energy doing it and lose my appetite by the time it's done. I know that probably sounds pathetic but it's the truth... if I take too long cooking a meal I don't end up eating much, which is why I always cook simple fast food like stirfrys. A lot of the time I just throw whatever I have at hand into a frying pan and mix it with baked beans. It's edible but I really don't enjoy my meals anymore.

I also snacked a lot on cereal bars, chocolate and cakes. What I'm really looking for is something I can just grab out of the cupboard/fridge and eat straight away.

Thanks for your help though, I think i'll definitely cook a whole bunch of stuff to freeze so I can easily microwave it.

Vegan chocolate - its not too pricey really. also cereal bars.. liquorice! buy seeds in bulk and make up a seed mix.. fresh coconut, peanut butter on toast. mmmmm

maybe spend a few hours on a sunday afternoon baking enough vegan cakes to last two-weeks? get some friends to help.. i'll help, i love baking

one advantage of being vegan is that you dont have to worry about salmonella.. apart from softening up lentils/potatoes you can get away with eating almost everything raw... another trick to reducing cooking time it to buy bags of pre-chopped frozen veg.

One dish i know that barely takes any cooking is lentil stew... a cup of lentils, tinned tomatoes, frozen peas, frozen diced onion and frozen chopped peppers.. takes 30 seconds to throw into a dish, then leave in the ovenfor half an hour and eat with pitta bread.

I was going to mention lentils as well. You can make a big pot of lentil and vegetable soup or stew, keep it in the fridge and eat it for a while, so you won't use up too much energy cooking (must admit I hadn't heard that advice before!).

You could also make your own hummus if you can be bothered, or else buy it, and eat it with rice crackers or oatcakes for a quick straight-from-the-fridge snack. Mashed avocado or baked beans on toast are other good vegan snacks. These are all foods you can buy in normal shops without having to trek to a health food shop. You can also find vegan cereal bars and chocolate in supermarkets (try the "free from" sections for people with allergies) - just check the ingredients lists.

I think there may be some Asian grocers where you live? If so you may find that they're an economical place to shop for stuff like dried lentils, beans and rice, and also unsalted nuts (which make a good snack and are good for getting in a few healthy calories). You can probably save a bit by buying all those things in bulk too.

[quote=vik85;323799] I also snacked a lot on cereal bars, chocolate and cakes. What I'm really looking for is something I can just grab out of the cupboard/fridge and eat straight away.quote]

Linda McCartney sausages, deep country pies and sausage rolls are vegan, Sainsbury do ready made falafel and their vegetable goujons are also vegan. The bean burgers mentioned before are good.

If you are looking for sweet stuff, a lot of green and blacks chocolate is vegan (maya gold, ginger, cherry, mint) and also vegan biscuits aren't too hard to find. You can usually find chocolate bourbons, rich tea, digestives and ginger biscuits in the supermarkets and also nairns sweet oat biscuits are ok.

I'm so glad you made this posting, I've just become vegan and I'm struggling a bit as well. The thing I'm finding difficult to cope with is the extent to which animal products seem to pervade absolutely everything, even in things which one would assume to be safe. I was in Morrison's yesterday, just about to put a tin of Ratatouille in my basket when I thought I'd better check the ingredients...... good job I did as it contained 'milk products' . I fared no better when looking at some savoury rice.

I know I shouldn't buy convenience food, but the thought of having to cook absolutely everything from scratch is pretty daunting, particularly as I'm the only vegan in an otherwise lacto-ovo house.

My son is taking great delight in calling me 'Tofu Tim' and leaving little notes on the fridge with things like ' Day 21, how long will Tofu Tim last?' Bless.
    From Sutton, Surrey, (or Greater London when they want to fleece me for the Olympics)

The first time I went vegan I found it very difficult because i didnt want to cook soley for myself, when I also had to cook for my OH and 4 kids.

I gave up trying and went back to being omni ( I think if I eat eggs and milk I night as well eat meat theyre both as cruel as each other)

this time I have decided I am just as important as anyone else and I am cooking for myself and its made it so much easier.

I love my food and 'inflict' on the rest of the family too lol. they eat it without any problems too.

I make lots of stuff with realeat vegemince and they all eat that, eg spaghetti or pasta bolognese and chilli. I make mince and dumplings too with it and I freeze portions of these dishes, nut loaf etc for lazy days later in the month when i dont feel like cooking.

easy stuff = tin of ratatouille, a tin of chickpeas mixed together with harissa to taste, served with couscous. (sammys pesto couscous is lovely.)
    good luck
    nicola

Hi Jiffy - I am no great cook and I also only cook for myself. What I tend to do is make a batch of something and then freeze it in 4 or 5 portions. My favourite dishes are vegetable paella, vegetable and bean chilli, lentil bolognese and soya mince bolognese (using vegemince from Tesco). That way you don't have to be cooking every night. You never know, you might even get your son to eat one of those

For example the recipe I use for lentil bolognese is so easy and quick and tasty (I can't remember which cookbook it came from though?):

1 onion, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, crushed
    2 carrots, coarsely grated
    2 sticks of celery, chopped
    4 oz red lentils (uncooked)
    400 g (1 tin) chopped tomatoes
    2 tbs tomato puree
    3/4 pint of vegetable stock
    A good pinch of ground black pepper

In a large frying pan gently cook the onion, garlic, carrots and celery in a little water for about 5 mins, until soft.

Add the lentils, tomatoes, tomato puree, stock and black pepper.

Bring the mixture to a boil then partially cover with a lid and simmer for 20 minutes until thick and soft.

Serve on pasta

Default Skint & Hungry - ideas for cheap & healthy (low fat, no refined carbs etc) meals

I'm really skint (poor) at the moment and need some good ideas for cheap and healthy (low fat, no refined carbs etc) meals. I love to cook! I just don't have have the money at the moment and I miss my nice dinners!
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

Default Re: Skint & Hungry

Baked potatoes are always good. Home-made hoummous and veggies and bread too.
    Always buy your fruit and veg. in season and they are cheaper..Home-made soup is also a cheap and lovely thing with lentils and pulses in (soak your own it's cheaper too)..Hope you will soon feel less hungry Emzy.

Default Re: Skint & Hungry

When I was a student I used to eat stacks of lentil soup and lentil curry.
    (Both involving onion, lentils, tin of tomatoes). Chickpea curry is good too.
    If you get rice in bulk it isn't too expensive. Pasta and tomato/onion/garlic sauce is pretty cheap too.

Default Re: Skint & Hungry - ideas for cheap & healthy (low fat, no refined carbs etc) m

Thanks guys! Is there a thread on how to make your own hoummus? Also yay for lentils....thats such a good idea!
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

Default Re: Skint & Hungry - ideas for cheap & healthy (low fat, no refined carbs etc) m

Buy a large bottle of vegetable oil, a large bag of red split lentils, some brown onions from the greengrocer or Lidl (check out their half price fruit and veg day) scrounge some salt and spices from your mates.
    I suggest buying the largest bag of lentils you can afford as it is a lot cheaper in bulk and they last a long time.
    Heat a little oil in a large pot, add some of the chopped onions, stir them until they smell nice and start to brown a little bit, add some spices, or just pepper if you wish, then add the lentils and a quantity of water. A mug of lentils will make a serving for about 2 people.
    Bring to the boil then turn down the heat.
    Check frequently to make sure it does not burn and stick to the bottom of the pan. You need to do this by stirring with a spoon and checking the bottom of the pan does not feel sticky. If it does, add more water and stir well.
    Once its cooked to a mush you can either eat it like that with some rice or baked potato or add some more water and cook a little longer until its like a thinnish soup.
    Add salt at the end to bring out the flavour. Adding it sooner will impede the lentils cooking and make it take a lot longer.
    Its nice with tinned tomatoes, frozen peas, or cubed tofu added but this makes it more expensive.

I have all those things already in my cupboard so it wouldn't be a problem at all to make that. MMMMMMMMMMM yummy!

I find myself worrying somewhat about buying inexpensive food from discount outfits. It seems that there have been a lot of problems with food imported from countries such as China, which have little sanitation and safety oversight. Lately there's been a rash of these problems with food imported into the U.S. Cheapest isn't always the best way to go.