Thread: Ripening bananas

Default Ripening bananas

How do you ripen bananas? I know you can ripen various things by putting them in paper bags with bananas, but what about ripening bananas themselves?

Default Re: Ripening bananas

I just let mine sit on the counter and they usually ripen in a few days. You can always pick up the brownish bananas from the store and they'll ripen quicker. Are you making banana bread?

FR

As soon as a banana starts getting brown spots, IMO, they are no good. They become way to dry. I much prefer a perfect, yellow banana.

To answer your question, just leave it out on a countertop for about 3 days, it will get brown. I am not sure if it is in a ripened state or if it is in a rotten state at that point.

Seaside

They will ripen twice as fast if you put apples with them. They don't have to be in a bag, just in a bowl with the apples. It's the natural ethylene gas that comes from the apples that ripens the bananas.

dont go near the apples banana, you don't need to ripen, and we don't want you to go mouldy
    www.myspace.com/natureworks1

Don't they ripen faster on those banana hanger thingies? You hook them on and let them hang vertically, I'm sure I read it helps ripening as well as being a handy place to keep them away from other fruit.

If you accidentally let them get too ripe (even if they're completely brown) then you can use them to make banana loaf as the fruit needs to be a bit mushy for that anyway.

Quote pixeequeen
    dont go near the apples banana, you don't need to ripen, and we don't want you to go mouldy
    LOL! No the bananas are green and VERY chalky. I just want them yellow and sweet

Geoff

Quote Banana
    LOL! No the bananas are green and VERY chalky. I just want them yellow and sweet
    It depends what variety they are but yours sound a bit iffy. I hang mine up from the ceiling near the window with a piece of tie wire and they ripen very quickly.
    If I left them on the table they would get eaten by rodents!