Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Coming to America

Default Coming to America

Hi guys - looks like I am coming to America in September. We are starting off in San Francisco, moving along to Miami where we will be doing a Caribbean cruise, then off to New York City (where we will be going to Niagara Falls) and then finishing up in San Diego. Any vegan recommendations or warnings are warmly welcomed and encouraged!

Default Re: Coming to America

In San Francisco, you MUST try http://www.millenniumrestaurant.com
    and in New York http://www.candlecafe.com .
    I have contacted cruise ship companies and airlines to make sure they are able to accommodate a vegan diet, usually with success.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

Zool

When you go to Niagra Falls make sure you spend most of your time on the Canadian side. There's not a whole lot to see on the American side. When we were there last year we ate at an amazing pizza place real close to the falls mixed in with all the little tourist traps. They had a few vegan options that were very good. I think it was called Boston Pizza.

Not vegan related, I also recommend the Ripley's Believe it or Not museum there. They're always a great time.

Best wishes for you on your trip.

Thanks for that

florida isn't so great for vegans. well, orlando. but i can't rememebr what it was like in miami.. everyone waitress i came across didn't have a clue about vegetarianism.. or.. well anything (no, that's just a cruel assumption), and they offered me chicken as a vegetarian option..

good luck in america

i hear new york is good for vegans.. and well.. everything
    please could you stop the noise? i'm trying to get some rest from all the unborn chicken voices in my head.

Are you going to LA. banana? www.vegparadise.com
    If you are, make sure you visit Santa Monica and Venice Beach.
    "Animals are my friends... and I don't eat my friends". ~ George Bernhard Shaw.

Seaside

Hi Banana,

In San Francisco, stay away from Fisherman's Wharf, for obvious reasons! Chinatown's not much good, too many unpleasant sights and smells in the alleys behind restaurants for sensitive animal lovers. I love Japan Center, but there wasn't any vegan dining available the last time I went there (I love the Cherry Blossom Parade!)
    The Marina is beautiful, there is a nice park right by the water where people walk dogs and ride bikes and enjoy the grass. Ocean Beach is nice if you want to absorb some sea air. At Baker's Beach you might see some interesting intimate behavior, so if that is not what you want to see, avoid that particular beach!
    I love the Strybing Arboretum in Golden Gate Park; there are many beautiul plants, and a huge pond full of birds and turtles, and if you bring walnuts, the squirrels will sit on your lap!
    The Palace of Fine Arts is a beautiful attraction that I would try to sqeeze in if I had time. Don't forget to take a cable car ride! Lots of people like to walk across the Golden Gate Bridge (I was born in San Francisco, and I've never live outside the Bay Area, but I have never done this myself!)
    September is a good month to visit SF, as the summer fog should be gone by then. There's no predicting it, though!

You're right, seaside, Chinatown is not too pleasant for a vegan visitor. It was awful to see dead ducks and chickens hanging in the windows. Even if I would be offered a 100% vegan meal there I couldn't eat in any of those places.

Seaside

Yeah, kriz, even the Chinese restaurants outside of Chinatown love to display whole ducks in the front windows. Its best not to look, even if they have a vegetarian menu section!

What gets me in Chinatown (New York) are the cages with live ducks. Anyway, plenty of places to eat in NYC. Kick around the Village and you'll find plenty of places. Also check out The Vegan Guide to New York City. You have Amazon.com down there, right?

Seaside

It would also be nice to say "hi' in person if you get the chance!

It would be nice - we will have to see though coz we are only there for 3 days I think...I will find out the exact stuff in about a week

Quote Dianecrna
    I have contacted cruise ship companies and airlines to make sure they are able to accommodate a vegan diet, usually with success.
    OMG drool* - I just saw the menus

Here's another one - http://vegdining.com

Also, http://happycow.net
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

There's a vegetarian Chinese restaurant in Niagara Falls on the Canadian side, I'll try to find the name + address for you. There are so many vegan places to eat in NYC, depends on how much you want to spend and where you'll be. It's worth John's suggestion, spend the $10 on the vegan guide to NYC. You can also pick up a copy at the Union Square Greenmarket, the author, Rynn Barry sells them at a table. Plus, the greenmarket is great.

You have all been so helpful - thankyou and keep it coming

Here's a link to that restaurant in Niagara Falls called Xin Vego but their website isn't working so you should email or call when you're here to see if they are still open.

If you're interested, let me know when you'll be in NYC-we can meet up for a veggy meal or coffee. You can meet the vegan twins as well .

Quote feline01
    If you're interested, let me know when you'll be in NYC-we can meet up for a veggy meal or coffee. You can meet the vegan twins as well .
    I would be extremely interested - I just don't know if we will have much time - But maybe we can have dinner somewhere - my boyfriend is a respectful omni and loves vegan food. And I would love to meet the twins - I love babies

Just a question - how abundant are whole foods markets in these cities? Will I have problems finding them?

ConsciousCuisine

Banana! When you come to San Diego there will be sooo many places to visit! How long will you be here?

My 2 favorite places to eat are the deli at our

"Ocean Beach People's Organic Food Co-Op" MY FAVORITE! Organic and 99% VEGAN!

and

"Jyoti Bihanga" (Soups and Salads are DIVINE! Daily Curry and Specials Veg/Vegan)

3351 Adams Ave.
    San Diego, CA
    Phone: 619.282.4116

These places below are also veg or vegan, but are not my favorites. Ask why and I'll PM you or reply here.

"Kung Food" (New, working out the kinks, raw salad bar, cafeteria-style vegan food)

2949 5th Ave
    San Diego, CA
    Phone: 619.298.7302

"SipZ Fuzion Cafe" (DELICIOUS, NOT healthy, fried, processed Asian-fusion food)

5501 Clairemont Mesa Bl.
    San Diego, CA
    Phone: 858.279.3747

"Spread" (Peanut and Almond Butter based foo-foo food)

2879 University
    San Diego, CA
    Phone: 619 - 543- 0406

"Rancho's Market/Vegan Deli" (Mexican/Raw/Treats/Vegan)

3910 30th St.
    San Diego, CA
    Phone: 619.574.1288

"Cilantro Live" (Raw/Live)

315 3rd Avenue
    Chula Vista, CA
    91910-3910
    Phone: 619.827.7401
    Fax: 619.827.7403

Thanks CC! I am coming to America on the 11th September till 4th October.

ConsciousCuisine

I will be making a trip in September as well! My first vacation ever! I am starting a training in New York on September 11 and plan on arriving a few days before that to explore the city. I am soooo excited! When will you ne in San Diego?

If you get to New York, you may be able to find Teany; Moby's cafe. Moby, being vegan and mildly eccentric has created with his friend Kelly a cute cafe with a whole range of tea's - including non-caffeinated ones. The desserts sound pretty cool too.

http://www.teany.com/cafe/index.php
    "if compassion is extreme, then call me an extremist"

Quote veganblue
    If you get to New York, you may be able to find Teany; Moby's cafe. Moby, being vegan and mildly eccentric has created with his friend Kelly a cute cafe with a whole range of tea's - including non-caffeinated ones. The desserts sound pretty cool too.

In my opinion, teany sucks. First of all, it's not vegan-it has some vegan options and secondly, it's full of, let's say, not my type of people. Not very comfortable either, very tiny tables (I guess for teany people ). There are so many great vegan places in NYC that make teany look like a joke.

Quote ConsciousCuisine
    I will be making a trip in September as well! My first vacation ever! I am starting a training in New York on September 11 and plan on arriving a few days before that to explore the city. I am soooo excited! When will you ne in San Diego?
    Hey CC, same invite to you-if you want to meet up with me, VeganMan and the Vegan Twins-we can meet up one day.

Oh well it looks nice on the web site I am a bit of a sucker for techno and ambient trance so I was pretty delighted to find that Moby is vegan. I like his political views also and he's a bit strange but in a good way.

Great to hear that there are loads of vegan places in NYC! I will go there someday - really want to see the Gugenheim.

Yeah but not that strange. He didn't want his place to be entirely vegan because he didn't want to alienate non-vegans . Me and my husband walked in to teany because we had been shopping at mooshoes around the corner (now that's worth a trip from Oz) and walked right out again. I'd have to be in a trance to enjoy teany .

Now give me Veggie Dim Sum House in Chinatown, Candle Cafe on the upper east side, Kate's Joint on the lower east side and Sacred Chow for takeout and I'm a happy camper .

Quote feline01
    I'd have to be in a trance to enjoy teany
    *larf* Is he enough of an egotist to only play his own music in his lil' shoppe'?

Candle cafe' looks brilliant. The dim sums look like they would be good on a cold winters evening. Little bit creeped out by the idea of dim sums since my only recollections are of a soft rice pastry filled with something unpleasantly meat-like.

A vego friend who took her increasingly irritated friend on a long arduous goose chase while on holiday in Sydney was informed with a certain amount of spite (to her vast horror at the end of a long day) that her favorite food (dim sums) weren't vegetarian...

I just don't understand what she thought was in them...?!

Seaside

Posted by Banana:
    Just a question - how abundant are whole foods markets in these cities? Will I have problems finding them?
    There is one on California Street and one on 4th Street in San Francisco.

ConsciousCuisine

Quote feline01
    Hey CC, same invite to you-if you want to meet up with me, VeganMan and the Vegan Twins-we can meet up one day.

How could I miss that opportunity! I MUST meet the vegan twins! So far your family are the only ones I am familiar with that live in NY! I'll send you a PM with all kinds of questions

FR

Quote feline01
    Here's a link to that restaurant in Niagara Falls called Xin Vego but their website isn't working so you should email or call when you're here to see if they are still open.
    Damn, I used to live in Buffalo and never heard of that palce. I used to visit the Canadian side of the Falls often, too.

Here are my dates:
    San Francisco - September 11 - 15
    Miami - September 15 - 17
    Carribean cruise - September 17 - 24
    New York - September 24 - 28
    San Diego - September 28 - October 1
    LA - October 1 - 2

Oh Feline I have been looking at your vegan twins website and I am dying to meet them. My boyfriend and I would love to meet you all. Maybe if CC is still in New York, we can all go out to a vegan restaurant for dinner?

Quote Banana
    Oh Feline I have been looking at your vegan twins website and I am dying to meet them. My boyfriend and I would love to meet you all. Maybe if CC is still in New York, we can all go out to a vegan restaurant for dinner?
    Sounds great to me .

Quote Dianecrna
    I've heard Millennium is a bit expensive but the Herbivore is quite good so I've heard.
    It's vegan, which means it's vegetarian which means there's nothing unheathy in it. -- my guy trying to explain vegan junkfood.

Well, as of now, the trip is officially official!!!!!!! YAAAAAAAAAAY! Poor Odi though I will miss him greatly...

I tried to order vegan meal with qantas (who we are flying with) and they said that it was "unavailable" - great! Looks like baked beans for me!

Quote Banana
    I tried to order vegan meal with qantas (who we are flying with) and they said that it was "unavailable" - great! Looks like baked beans for me!
    Yummm...I like baked beans. Besides...you can make them pay, have your stink'n revenge!!!

tee-hee, okay that was immature

Quote Peas'nHominy
    Yummm...I like baked beans. Besides...you can make them pay, have your stink'n revenge!!!

tee-hee, okay that was immature
    It made me laugh out loud.

<-- is a bit immature, too.

stink'n revenge is nice, especially if it's the strong but silent sort of revenge....
    It's vegan, which means it's vegetarian which means there's nothing unheathy in it. -- my guy trying to explain vegan junkfood.

Banana - I just flew QANTAS to and from Australia and I had vegan meals the whole way! Infact, there were at least another 2 passengers on each plane trip that also had vegan meals. Maybe they call them vegetarian meals. Please check again - I think someone's giving you the bum steer!

Quote Banana

Really? We tried to book it at the travel agent and every time we clicked the thing is came up as unavailable! I should maybe phone them...but then again who cares - I hate plane food anyway!

Yes, try and phone them.

Honestly though, the vegan plane food wasn't all that bad.

I don't really trust their degree of veganism though - when I flew Air Canada last year to Hawaii, their 'vegan' breakfast was a rolled omelette with cheese. No thanks!

LOL YUCK!!! That would be enough to make me vomit!

Well, QANTAS vegan breakfast consisted of mushrooms, tomato, spinach, asparagus, wholemeal roll, nuttelex and soymilk, juice, fruit. So it wasn't all that bad.

I might just bring a sachet of my oatmeal and some jam and bread, baked beans and a couple of fruit cups (and maybe some dates if I am lucky )

That's a good idea too!

Quote veganblue

A little of topic - why does Moby's cafe have non-vegan items such as yoghurt when he's a hard core vegan himself? Most vegans are well aware of the cruelty behind dairy (yes, even organic products!!)? His menu puzzles me.

Seaside

Posted by kriz:
    why does Moby's cafe have non-vegan items such as yoghurt when he's a hard core vegan himself? Most vegans are well aware of the cruelty behind dairy (yes, even organic products!!)? His menu puzzles me.
    If I were successful enough and wealthy enough to open a cafe strictly as a sideline to my main income-generating career, I would certainly not worry about needing to attract non-vegan clientele with non-vegan menu items!

ConsciousCuisine

Unhappy Re: Coming to America

Quote kriz
    A little of topic - why does Moby's cafe have non-vegan items such as yoghurt when he's a hard core vegan himself? Most vegans are well aware of the cruelty behind dairy (yes, even organic products!!)? His menu puzzles me.

I fel the same way! Obviously he's *not* a "hard core" vegan

This was discussed in this thread:

http://veganforum.com/forums/showthr...highlight=moby

"Well- it's not Vegan
    I say go. You might enjoy it. I am sad the Moby said he didn't want it to be Vegan becuase he wanted to have something for everyone...(What's wrong with Vegan food???)"

Quote kriz
    It's not even that, his cafe is basically non-vegan with a few vegan items. When I was there, there were about 15 non-vegan desserts and 1 vegan one .