Thread: Offensive Warburtons ad

Default Offensive Warburtons ad

HI all

do you think the new warburtons ads is offensive to vegans?

if you wish to complain

http://www.warburtons.co.uk/cgi-bin/mail_feedback.cgi

G

Default Re: Offensive Warburtons ad

Could you elaborate a bit about the advert please, give us a bit of an outline of the general gist of it so that we might know whether we've seen it or not - Ta!!
    Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
    Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.

I have only scene one about crumpets nothing I can recall being offensive in it I might be wrong though as I listen to adds with half an ear as most of them are dribble.
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams

Is it the one where the guy picks up the slice of white bread and says "That'd make a lovely bacon sandwich", and the little girl snatches her pig teddy away and looks cross? That's the only one I can think off! Not sure I find it offensive though... lots of people eat bacon, and I think (annoying it may be), they won't sell quite so many loafs if he'd said "That'd make a lovely scrambled tofu sandwich".

If that is the you're talking about, I mean. If not... well then, just ignore me!

HI

well Ive only seen it twice

but Im sure at the start the "veggie type" woman is recycling with bins labeled for cans, bottles - as to say OTT

She is wearing a really hippy old jumper

& the whole ad is really taking the mick of us being ott and saying that eating this loaf is as good as eating proper food.

But I really feel its poking fun at ppl who are veggie or looking after the planet.

Maybe Ive got it wrong but a veggie friend of mine also took it that way

G

I was only half watching the first time, I didn't notice the family were meant to be veggie or anything - I'll pay more attention if I see it again.

I did see the girl and the cuddly pig, but it didn't bother me as I thought maybe it would make a few folk think about the whole animals = meat thing.

Stu

So they're implying that she's a vegetarian by showing her recycling? I thought that if anything, it shows that she is environmentally aware, and perhaps therefore a responsible person who eats well. Hence the family thinking they'll get into trouble for eating white bread. I didn't see anything to imply vegetarianism whatsoever.

Also, if they're making out that it's "OTT" to recycle, I think that would be extremely irresponsible and I sincerely doubt that any big company would take that risk.

I just thought it was another crap advert. Didn't offend me in the least.

At the end of the ad, they display the loaf next to a pile of vegetarian cookbooks. The ad stereotypes, but I didn't find it offensive.

Now, an ad I love is the Peperami "It's a bit of an animal"! Such an own goal!
    It is a monstrous thing to do, to slay a unicorn...you have slain something pure and defenceless and you will have but a half life, a cursed life, from the moment the blood touches your lips.

Mozbee

Another take on it - is the naughty father, after proposing the consumption of a pig slice sandwich (triggered by the sight of the unhealthy white bread) is banished to the shed (expelled!). While the symbollic pig is comforted by the child.

Perhaps this is a subliminal, go vegetarian, message to kids!