Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bread

Default Bread

(This initial post is a compilation of posts from a thread at 'Veganforum 1')

M45 Posted: Apr 2 2004, 12:54 AM

Hi All

I'm new to veganism, and I'm finding it quite hard at times. I love bread, and I have noticed some breads contain milk and some do not. Can anyone tell me some good (common) breads that do not contain animal products (and taste good of course)?

Thanks,

-m45

globesetter Posted: Apr 2 2004, 08:55 AM

Hi M45 -

I«ve been vegan for over 7 months - my experience is that it is confusing at first - hard to find out where all the animal ingredients are - but it soon becomes second nature and routine.

I can«t recommend a specific brand, but I can tell you that most of the commercial brands on the shelf at the supermarket are not very ideal in many ways - no whole grains, preservatives, additives - lots of stuff that are just not needed in bread but added to make a product for the company to sell. I think your best bet is to go to the bakery counter at the supermarket and ask for a whole grain bread that doesn«t have any animal ingredients, or just read the labels - bread should only have a few ingredients, not a long list of stuff.

all the best,
    globesetter

Cloudy Posted: Apr 2 2004, 11:54 AM

Most supermarket breads in the UK are vegan I think, unless it's something weird like "milk roll". Even a lot of bagels and such like are vegan.

Mmm bagels

marinoa Posted: Apr 2 2004, 07:46 PM

In the supermarket, natural ovens breads are mostly vegan (and high in fiber, protein) except their whole wheat one which I think has honey. their vitamins etc are all vegan friendly. They have a web site too www.naturalovens.com.
    Usually focacio bread (unless topped by cheese) is made with olive oil, I have made it at home. The drier breads I think dont have milk. Of course, the softer enriched breads will have butter.
    Last edited by Korn; Sep 25th, 2004 at 08:07 AM.

Question Bread...

Hello all. Today is my first official day as a vegan and I have a question regarding bread. Every store-bought bread I find has some sort of animal product in it (usually milk-somethings, honey, or egg) and the one type of bread I found that was vegan was a small loaf in the health food store by Ener-G, for $6 - it didn't look very appetizing anyway (but maybe it tasted good). So anyhoo, I was just wondering where all of you got your bread, or do you just make it yourself?

Thanks for any replies!

x Jamie

You might try the bakery section of the grocery store, rather than the regular packaged bread aisle, or a regular bakery.

regards,
    globesetter

in the uk stores i go into, their in-store bakery usually has no information on label about what is actually in the baked product, baring the name of item and price

Quote cedarblue
    in the uk stores i go into, their in-store bakery usually has no information on label about what is actually in the baked product, baring the name of item and price
    That said though, most pre-packaged bread here is vegan, so all's not lost!

isn't 100% whole wheat bread ok? the bread i bought doesn't have whey, but it has wheat gluten. is that alright, or do i need to keep searching??

Oh, wheat gluten is fine. I like Rudi's Bakery organic breads. Multigrain oat is the best.

remember sodium-steroyl-lactate is derived from dairy (i see it in bread all the time)

the bread by ener-g is good. i eat the rice bread, as i cant eat wheat or flour or gluten, because i have celiac disease. heres the website if u wanted to research more on that bread.

http://www.ener-g.com

all u can do is read ingredients and keep searching.

isn't 100% whole wheat bread ok?
    As I understand it, "100% whole wheat" bread could be either vegan or not vegan - the 100% means that there isn't any refined flour in it I think, but there could still be honey etc. Obviously you've read the label on yours and it's OK though. Gluten isn't a problem: it's just wheat protein.

How easy is it to get German-style rye bread - the pumpernickel type stuff - in the US? That is often vegan (as sold in the UK anyway) and is supposed to be quite healthy I think. We can buy it in some supermarkets and health food shops.

Thanks for the input. I ended up finding some bread at Trader Joes and got a couple loafs!

I eat a lot of pita bread. You still have to check the labels on anything sold here though. Label checking (and being familiar with the different names that animal biproducts can be found under) is the way to go.

If there's a whole foods market in your state I would say go there. A lot of their bakery breads are ok. I tried the frozen more expensive variety of organic breads in regular supermarkets... but while good... quite a few were too strong in flavor and not fit for peanut butter, etc. I eat the Wellspring Organic bread from WFM ... which runs a little under $3. I don't remember if it has sugar or molasses in it since I'm currently out of it... the sugar would still be organic... but not necessarily unrefined if you try to avoid refined sugar (some vegans do... some don't...).

Most prepared breads in the general supermarket tend to have milk derivatives if nothing else. There is a natural grain bread that I used to buy at the supermarket that tastes pretty good but I can't remember what it's called. I stopped buying it since I prefer bread that's more fresh and generally food at the best value.

Glad you found something that works. I was in the grocery store and the bread company name is Brownberry. The natural whole wheat bread doesn't have honey in it but the nut one does. I think. Can't remember.

This is a dumb question, but if I go to a restaurant is it safe (vegan) to get a sandwhich if it's on wheat bread? What about hamburger buns?

ConsciousCuisine

There are no absolutes. You must question e*v*e*r*y*t*h*i*n*g when you go out to eat and when you by things at the store, unless it is a pure, raw, whole food you must read the labels. Sometimes bread is safe, sometimes not!

In the UK, Hovis, Kingsmill, and Burgen breads are all vegan, Hovis Label to. Some of Kingsmill products aren't vegan, check out the website.

Default Healthiest Store Bought Vegan Bread

Do any of you know of the best/healthiest (organic) vegan bread that I can buy at someplace like Publix or any grocery store?
    She died the way she lived; ugly.

ConsciousCuisine

Ezekiel and other sprouted grain breads, such as Manna bread, unless you have candida issues. If so, only the "Manna" bread.

Hi CC!

I like to eat the Ezekial Raisin/Cinnamon sprouted bread. What is in it that would cause an imbalance in my candida levels (perhaps causing yeast infections)?

Thanks
    Roxy

ConsciousCuisine

Yeast. They have yeast.

Ahhhhh. Thank-you

I just bought Woman's Bread...yeast free

ConsciousCuisine

Women's Bread is awesome! Too bad it costs twice (or more) as much as Ezekiel and Manna Breads do!

Yeah..and it comes in fewer slices...

There is a vegan bread that I buy sometimes at Wholefoods. It is quite a heavy (and expensive) loaf but it has chunks of real cranberries and walnuts baked into it. It is soooo good toasted, with a little earthbalance and a little bit of strawberry jam. It's probably my favourite "special" bread.

YUM!!! That sounds awesome! I used to always buy a bread by Ancient Grains called Pineapple and Walnut Fruit Loaf. It was a light rye sourdough base and soooooooooo delicious! But now I cannot eat nuts as I am reacting to them so I can't buy it anymore

I eat Natural Ovens Breads. They are made near where I live so they are availalble at all the stores here.

They sponsor healthy organic school lunch programs here and have done studies showing that organic/non-processed healthy lunches reduce behavioral problems. They were mentioned in the film, Supersize Me, if anyone remembers.

They do not use eggs/dairy in any of their breads, but I think 1 or 2 do have honey.

they also use flax in everything, so that I can get my omegas.

I'm quite pleased with the bread available in common stores here. A lot of them are "probably vegan" - so I don't pick them - but at least a quarter are simply a-ok. I have taken to choose rye bread almost exclusively, as it actually fits all occasions. Milk btw. can be found in some French breads, but those taste dull in any case, vegan or not.

The thread mentioned honey in breads, which I find odd especially if it is not toast. Here I suppose a touch of syrup is used for those slightly sweeter loafs.

Default Re: Cruelty-free baking soda

I just buy the store brand.

Rumford (aluminum-free)
    utopiankitchen.wordpress.com

Artichoke, I just noticed your signature is in a Sarah McLachlan song. I say 'is in' because I don't know if she took it from somewhere else.

It's also in Jewel's song, "Hands."
    utopiankitchen.wordpress.com

It's only in Jewel's song - I don't know I said Sarah McClachlan. I had a brain freeze. It's a lovely song

Yogini

Default Buying bread shouldn't be this hard

I like 100% whole wheat bread and the other night I set out to buy a loaf in the town that's my new home. It turns out the natural foods store only stocks gluten-free varieties of bread. I've tried gluten-free bread and really don't like it. I don't have celiac disease and I'm not allergic to wheat, or even sensitive to it, so I see no reason to buy this stuff. Next I went to a supermarket that advertises the fact that it carries natural foods. Every variety of whole wheat bread I looked at had either high fructose corn syrup or honey in it (not to mention other creepy sounding ingredients.) I must have spent 45 minutes reading bread labels and left empty handed.

Since when is wheat bread a special order?

-Anna

Default Re: Buying bread shouldn't be this hard

I generally stick to Hovis, as all their bread is labelled as Vegan (except the Sunflower and Honey loaf). I know some of the other brands are vegan as well, but if they can't be bothered to label them, nor say whether the ingredients are animal derived or not, I can't be bothered to buy them

Are there no big brands where you are that mostly bake vegan bread, or label them vegan?

Yogini: it's generally a good idea to say what country you're in, and what part of that country when asking questions such as this. Rob has replied to you with UK information, however as you're looking at things containing corn syrup i'm guessing you're in the US. In the UK vegan bread is in abundance, but I guess that's not very interesting to you.

If bread is a problem, consider getting a good bread machine. Mine makes granary loafs as good as those from any bakery in about 2 hours, using organic flour for about the price of a non organic one of the same quality from a shop.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

If we're talking about the US, I found even buying what we would call normal bread was a bit of a challenge.

I was actually going to ask about this myself. I live (as you can see to the left) in the Southern US. I recently started reading bread labels a little more carefully and came to find that ALL of the breads I could find had whey (a dairy product) in them. That bothers me even more than high fructose corn syrup--I try to avoid HFCS too but I'd eat that before dairy. Are there no main-stream US breads that don't have any animal products?
    When you are guided by compassion and loving-kindness, you are able to look deeply into the heart of reality and see the truth.--Thich Nhat Hanh

FR

Look for Rudi's brand bread. If you have a Trader Joe's near you, they offer a few wheat varieties which are vegan.

Thanks, it looks like there might be a store about 30 minutes away from me that carries the bread you mention, but no Trader Joe's around here
    When you are guided by compassion and loving-kindness, you are able to look deeply into the heart of reality and see the truth.--Thich Nhat Hanh

I'm located in Central Florida and I know it's hard to find good, healthy, hearty breads. If you are in the US, are there any Whole Foods in your area? A lot of Natural Food Stores make their own bread loaves, which contain very little ingredients.. There's also buying a bread machine or purchasing breads online.

Good Luck!

Meikmeik
    Life Is GOOD! :p

Quote FR
    Look for Rudi's brand bread. If you have a Trader Joe's near you, they offer a few wheat varieties which are vegan.
    rudi's is my favorite. the have it at wholefoods, as well. i buy 2 loaves and put one in the freezer. i also noticed that bakerys and fruit markets carry bread that has 4 or 5 ingredients. it is made and sold locally so they don't put in any preservatives or weirdo ingredients that don't belong in bread.

the first time i had to buy bread as a vegan i almost started crying in the bread aisle, out of frustration. that was only a few months ago. i have come pretty far in that time. i don't ever go to the grocery store by my house anymore- it just annoys me. grocery stores in poor neighborhoods have nothing for vegans, except half rotton over priced fruits and veggies. (not saying you live in a poor neighborhood, i do, and it is social injustice)

where i live, vegan bread is in abundance, but i guess it depends on what part of the us ur in... my fav is food for life's different kinds of sprouted wheat breads...also it's a good idea to look at smaller shops and even some bakeries, soetimes the whole-wheat bread they carry is made with nothing more than whole-wheat, water, yeast, and some salt, that's it. also, the supermerket near me carries spreouted bread, and then the natural food stores carry all different kinds. just look at the smaller places and ur sure to find something...and if that doesn't work, u could always go the bread machine route...i guess i don't just for the convenience factor...sorry guys, i'm lazy, lol.
    Peace Love Surf.

Yogini

I just moved to a predominantly African-American neighborhood in Southern New England. I don't think it's particularly poor, but there isn't great access to organic produce. There's a pretty good natural foods store only a few blocks from my house that has a great selection in everything else (and unlike Whole Foods or Wild Oats, it's actually vegetarian), but everything else is soul food and fried chicken. I'm not saying that's the only thing black people eat, but other than Edge of the Woods and Clarie's Cornucopia downtown, I don't know of many healthy, vegan stores/restaurants.

There's a Whole Foods in a town about an hour away. I have yet to determine if there's one that's closer, just in another state. The problem with a lot of online store locaters is they only give listings state by state instead of by miles, and when you live where a couple of states converge, there might be one closer in say, New York, rather than going an hour north.

But I think my roommate mentioned there's a Trader Joe in town. I'll look that up. I've thought several times about getting a bread machine (I love fresh bread) but I really don't know where I'd put it. My kitchen is pretty cramped as it is.

Thanks for all the good ideas!

Love,
    Anna
    P.S. I'm studying library science and have been interning in a law school library a few hours a week. They have this tiny little hole-in-the-wall snack shop in the bookstore that at first glance is totally unimpressive, but I've found all natural potato chips, pure sparkling water, and Alternative Baking Company cookies there! I was happily surprised.

I'm about a half and hour from Philly, and I get Alvarado St. bread from my local Acme. Not all Alvarado St. breads are vegan (some contain honey), but most are. I like their bread a lot, but it's somewhat expensive ($3.50-ish).

PolluxStar

I eat potato bread , and only specifically a certain brand , all the others were non vegan...

and this is walmart I'm talking about :P

lol, i didn't even know wal-mart had vegan things! although, u can find vegan almost anywhere...
    Peace Love Surf.

Default Bread

Is there any type of bread product I can eat that doesnt have animal fat in it or do I have to make my own?
    Last edited by flutterby; Dec 14th, 2005 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Merged with existing thread.

Default Re: Bread

I find where I live that most of the supermarket type bread has nasties added, but I get beautiful bread from organic bakeries/healthfood stores.
    I had yummy herb & onion focaccia for lunch today from a local organic bakery, all of their breads are vegan except one with honey added.
    You just have to read labels and ask questions.

Seaside

Default Re: Bread

Can you get Rudi's Organic bakery breads in your area? There are several vegan breads in their product line. You can always eat sourdough french. That is traditionally made with flour, water, salt, and sourdough culture only. You have to be careful about reading labels, though. Some french breads use an egg or milk glaze.