View Poll Results: How has your weight changed since going vegan?

Voters
484. You may not vote on this poll
  • Up

70 14.46%
  • Down

239 49.38%
  • Up/down, down/up

76 15.70%
  • No change

99 20.45%
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Has your weight changed since going vegan?

Default Has your weight changed since going vegan?

I must admit the incentive of going vegan for a 2nd time was losing 3 lb which I gained recently, and I am disappointed that there was no weight change since the 12 days I am at it.

I wonder whether your weight has changed since going vegan?

Have you been overweight and it has decreased or increased?
    Have you been underweight and it has increased?
    Have you been at a normal weight?
    Was there no change?

I just wonder where people have been before going vegan and where this change took them weight wise.

I currently weigh 68kg (10st 8lb) and would like to go back to 66.5lb (10st 5lb) at 5.3".

litlte Tigercub

PS: anybody know how to put in the poll options?

Default Re: Has your weight changed since going vegan?

No weight change since going vegan one year ago. It seems like I'm stuck on 55 kg. no matter what I do.
    "Animals are my friends... and I don't eat my friends". ~ George Bernhard Shaw.

What do you want? 55kg would be my dream weight, but I have just learnt that I am on the heavy side (I *do* work out!) and would be content with weighing 66.5 kg again.

littleTigercub

What's a stone?

When I went vegan, I lost ten pounds in a week. I now stay steadily at 105lbs.

My weight has gone up and down - mainly due to how busy I am. More busy = more active and less time to eat! I don't use scales so I wouldn't have a clue, but I can tell tell when I am a little "rounder" - not that the term round is applicable to me, I am very angular. But vegan does not mean healthy - why do people forget that there is such thing as vegan ice cream, cake, cookies and sweets? People always think I live on carrots but there is a world of vegan food tempting my tastebuds 24/7!

I don't know what I weigh, but I went from a size 4 to a size 2 (sometimes 0) after going vegan.

I went from 10st8lbs to just 10st since going vegan at the end of last year.
    It is a monstrous thing to do, to slay a unicorn...you have slain something pure and defenceless and you will have but a half life, a cursed life, from the moment the blood touches your lips.

Not that losing weight was my goal of going vegan, but once it started coming off, that was the only thing i could credit.
    i lost no weight for the first 6 months, but over the past 10 months i've lost nearly 50lbs... i think i've bottomed out, now it's just a matter of firming up this "old skin" around my belly
    What about the clams on the shore? :confused:
    Souls in progress, here come the fisherman - soul no more
    :(

Quote snivelingchild
    What's a stone?
    Approx. 14lbs

I haven't been vegan too long (a few months), but so far no weight change. Of course, I am Body Building and the fat is melting away, so I guess the "weight" is converting to muscle, and I feel much better!

Zool

I started at 155 lbs when I went vegan. Over the first month I dropped down to 142 lbs. (Too damn light for a 5'9" male.) And kept on dropping. I have trouble keeping weight on since I really enjoy running and avoid junk food. I know I should find some more healthy calories but I just don't really get that hungry.

Maybe I'm feeding a tapeworm or something.......

Quote littleTigercub
    What do you want? 55kg would be my dream weight, but I have just learnt that I am on the heavy side (I *do* work out!) and would be content with weighing 66.5 kg again.

littleTigercub
    I've never been obsessed about my body, some extra weight wouldn't bother me too much, really, at least not to the point were I would get depressed about it. I think it's interesting to change my body once in a while. I've been really skinny when I ate nothing due to a broken heart (awful!!) and I've been real chunky by eating TONS of crap like banana splits and potato chips when I had a very dull life. I kind of liked both weight experiences for different reasons.

I have to eat next to nothing to lose even 2 kilo and loads to put on weight. Anyone have this type of body? It's good in a way, because it's stable, but it's very hard to change if I would like to try out a new "look". Strange, eh?
    "Animals are my friends... and I don't eat my friends". ~ George Bernhard Shaw.

Quote flower_meanings
    Not that losing weight was my goal of going vegan,
    Me too, when I became vegan weight was the last thing on my mind!
    In the 6 months I have been vegan, unfortunately I've discovered and sampled so many new and exciting foods, crazy over new recipies, that I am, um, still am "soft around the edges" whatever that means
    I do feel much better all around, in my head, in my heart, all I need now is to excersize, that makes all the difference if one wants to lose weight.

I lost a stone in six months after turning vegan (BMI went from 25.5 to 23). All because I'm eating so much more healthier.
    First time I've ever lost weight without dieting.

I am on Weight Watchers so I am losing weight but right now I'm going up and down. I'm happy where I am at. Veganism has not made any difference with my Weight Watchers.

i've never been "overweight" (according to height charts/BMI and so on) and was a pretty constant healthy weight for many years, but i did get very close to being overweight just over two years ago, having put on two stone (28 pounds) due to some nasty medication i needed to take i was vegetarian then and the weight kind of sneaked up on me

i went on a diet at the beginning of 2003 and lost half the excess weight but had real trouble getting rid of the other stone (14 pounds). i went vegan in September 2003, not doing it to lose weight, but found that i lost 10 pounds in a couple of weeks, and then the other few pounds gradually disappeared without me noticing. i've been back at what seems to be my natural weight ever since.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

I voted 'no change', but I got a new job soon after I turned vegan (a physical one and 20 minute fast walk to get there) so I did lose weight - I think it was just the extra exercise though and not my diet. I put it back on when I started working from home but I'm getting very little exercise.

My weight is normal (about 9 stone 4lb and 5 foot 7" tall), but I was only 8 stone 10 when I was getting the exercise, so I think that's probably my 'healthy' weight. I'm not very sure.

I originally gained about 20 pounds. Recently I have lost a few pounds because my lifestyle has gotten a little more spartan. I'm rarely eating at restaurants and I'm not eating any sweets except for fruit. I don't really have to worry about fat but since I lost a few pounds lately I noticed that my abdominal muscles are now very defined.

Quote kriz

I have to eat next to nothing to lose even 2 kilo and loads to put on weight. Anyone have this type of body? It's good in a way, because it's stable, but it's very hard to change if I would like to try out a new "look". Strange, eh?
    Me, I`m afraid! I find it hard to lose weight but also do not gain easily.

Anyway, thanks to the person who added the "proper" poll - I find the results very encouraging. Although as weight loss is not the only reason to go vegan, who knows what`s around the corner?

littleTigercub

I lost 15 lbs almost immediately upon going vegan.
    :p In life & love there are no impossibilities...

*sigh* I wonder how you do this all... Did you eat really unhealthily and did you have a lot of weight to lose?

littleTigercub

I didn't really have weight that I wanted to lose. I ate fairly (but not super) healthy prior to being vegan, as I had stopped eating meat. Unfortunately, I still had eggs and cow-milk products such as cheese, which contributed to excess calories and fat, but I was on Weight Watchers at that time, so I imagine I didn't eat too much, as those are high points items.

i've lost 7 pounds in the last two weeks which is a bit odd as i haven't been dieting. granted i was hospitalised for a day two weeks ago and didn't eat much for a couple of days after that, but i expected my weight to level off once i started eating properly again. i've never been this light before, even when trying to lose weight. the doctors didn't find anything wrong with me
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Could it be stress and worry that's causing you to lose weight Gorilla?

my weight goes up and down depending on what i eat. if i eat lots of fatty foods, i gain weight. if i eat low fat (30 grams a day or under) and lower calorie (1200-1500) i lose weight.
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

I did lose weight initially when i went vegan (and, again, it wasn't WHY I became vegan, just a bonus ). I didn't even notice it at first, but one day I stepped out and realised my pants kept wanting to fall down to my ankles. I'm about as light now as I was when I was 12 years old. Which isn't that worrying, as I'm naturally petite.

Sometimes even now I get suprised by how much energy I have compared with a year ago or 3 years ago. Before I went vegan, being active and outside exercising just didn't interest me that much. Now, I love it

Will I tell you what?

In the first three weeks, I slipped 1 day each weak and my weight remained the same.

Last week was my first completely vegan week and I lost 2 1/2lb in a week - 1/2lb to go and I am back to my normal weight!!!

littleTigercub
    who is very happy about this added bonus, too!

i've lost almost 7 kilos since i went vegan and feel much healthier. Granted, I was a cheese addict when I was only veggie, so that explains a lot. The fabulous thing, though, was the absolute vanishing of the migraines that I've had since I was 10. Both these things would be enough to convince me to stick to it forever...but as you all know, stuff like that is just something of a bonus, or, I think, proof from your body that this is the right thing to do.

i have had weight troubles before and now as a vegan.

i was always overweight as a child, and then decided to try and lose weight when i think i was 11 or so. By 12 i was down to a normal weight and just gradually went vegan. Any change in my weight since then has had to do with portion sizes and exercise, not what i eat.

I've lost a total of 52 pounds since going veggie, with about 30 of that since going vegan (almost 1 whole year ago!).

About 2 stone I reckon..(28lbs)

pavotrouge

I lost about 20 pounds without actually wanting it- I've always been on the very lean side as a kid, then gained some weight during adolescence, but then again I also didn't do any sports back then.

I became vegan at the time I moved out of my parent's house, started doing sports again (running, yoga, martial arts), and lost those "teenage" pounds... not sure how much of the weight loss is due to veganism.

My weight stayed the same.

Does anyone else find it terribly annoying that people; maybe even people who knew you when you ate meat or cheese; think that you are thin because you are vegan?

Substituting soy dream for ice cream is not a weight loss plan.
    Eating two packages of fries instead of a burger, also not a plan.

Maybe I should support these myths to promote veganism but I've always believed that facts are better than tales. What if a thin vegetarian wanted to become vegan and didn't because they thought they would lose weight?

Now that that rant is over I will say that I used to try to eat a lot of red meat before my period because I felt like my iron was low. Now I don't have that feeling at all.
    Last edited by Haniska; Jan 29th, 2007 at 04:21 PM. Reason: crazy mixed up wording
    it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble

I did lose about 8lbs. but after a couple months of eating lots of peanut butter and avocados I managed to put most of it back on. I am already underweight, only weighing about 100 lbs. at 5"7'. Yikes!! Everybody in my family is really skinny, though, so it's not that big of a deal...

At the time I became vegan I did lose a couple of kilos. I’m also the type of person that can eat a lot and not gain any weight. I feel sorry for my husband because he just needs to look at a piece of cake (vegan of course) and he puts on a couple of kilo’s. I think he actually gained weight when he became vegan.
    The good man is the friend of all living things. -- Mohandas Gandhi

Lilac Hamster

I lost a few pounds when I first went vegan, was a little too skinny for a few months around the age of 20, but it did not stay off for long and I was soon about the right weight again as my body got used to being vegan, nowadays I would like to lose weight. I've definitely got middle-aged spread.
    When I was younger I used to be able to eat anything and not get fat so I never gained any willpower over limiting how much I ate.

pavotrouge

Haniska, I know what it's like... most people think that everything that is vegan is super-healthy... the funniest situation was when I brought a batch of chocolate muffins to work and all my so very figure-conscious, always dieting collegues were like: "Oooh, let's eat all of them, they're vegan and therefore healthy after all!"

I don't have any scales but i have definitely lost a few pounds

Interesting to read people's responses.

Right now, I'm working on breaking the diet/binge cycle I've been on for 20 years so I'm doing more intuitive eating (eating what I want when I'm hungry, stopping when I'm full) and rejecting weighing myself.

However, I definately lost some weight since going vegan a few weeks ago. Can't say how much since I'm not weighing myself, but I was able to wear a size 8 pair of pants OVER a pair of long underwear (it's cold here in South Dakota!) and be comfortable (though not loose). I wasn't able to do that a few weeks ago.

Like everyone else, I went (back) to being vegan because I know I feel a ton better with it health-wise and it just makes the next logical step to being a vegetarian.

Tam

Megan89

Well when i was veggie i was about 8 st, now i've got down to 7st 4! It's great as i don't even think about losing weight just seems to go!

I noticed I can drop my weight very easily by just eating less, much easier than I seem to remember from before. But I ride a bike alot, 3,000 miles per summer average , and in winter I do laps in an olympic pool for one continuous hour 3 to 4 times a week. In summer weigh 138 lbs. or less; winter maybe 143. lbs at 5'7". Swimming dosen't burn as many calories since the water keeps the body cool, but it's a great work out.

Since going vegan just over 3 weeks ago, I've lost 8 lbs. Not even been trying, it's just dropped off.

Happy though as I need to lose weight for medical reasons, still got another 3 stone or so to go - eeek.

Mine's gone up by nearly a stone !!!! I'm eating much healthier than I ever have done, and exercising too - don't understand it

BlackCats

I've lost 7 pounds since becoming vegan but this was straight away and now my weight has stabilised.
    The one thing I notice is that I can eat pretty much any vegan food I like and really large portion sizes and never gain any more weight.
    I suppose it because non vegan food has so much saturated animal fat in it yuk!

Soul Rebel

I've gone from 240 lbs to 170 lbs, but I also started getting on the treadmill for 40 minutes a day at the same time of going vegan so its probably a combo of the two.

I struggled with my weight for years. I was very underweight nearly my entire life. I had just started to reach a stable, normal weight when I went vegan. Now, I worry a lot about approaching the skeletal look again. I'm a lazy slob now, and my weight is close to normal (still underweight though) But, if I exercise, I start dropping a lot. For a while, I was doing yoga on a daily basis, but then my boss voiced concerns about my weight. I did a quick poll of my co-workers and they all confirmed that I looked like I had dropped a LOT of weight. (I didn't own scales back then and tend to think I always look normal at the time I'm looking in the mirror, no matter how much I weight.) I'm 5'7" and had gotten to just over 100 pounds.

Now I own scales and I'm *goes to check* .....121 pounds. I try to remember to weight myself at least once a month and as long as I'm 120 or above, I'm satisfied.

When I get low, I try to eat a lot of nuts. But, that can get boring really quickly. WHat are some other fattening vegan foods? I'm a bit worried as summer is coming and I tend to eat far less in hot weather.

sugarmouse

As long as you are healthy I wouldnt worry!Eat avacado, use nut butters on your toast/bread, olive oil and tofu and starchy things like quinoa ...
    I wish I had that problem lol then again grass is always greener!

i have been EXACTLY the same height, weight & shoe size since i was thirteen. that was eleven years ago and i still have the pants and shoes that i wore to my first day of high school and i fit in them!

i went vegan two years ago and nothings changed since then either.

thats boring.
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

That was me back in 1996. I was 22. At the time, I thought I was a perfectly normal weight and couldn't understand why people were constantly trying to feed me. There used to be pictures of me when I was quite a bit thinner, but I destroyed them a few years back when I came across them and realized for the first time how thin I'd really been. Kept this one as it was a group pic of my family (cut out here to preserve their privacy) and I don't have many pics of my grandmother. Plus, I wanted to have at least one kinda as a memory to never go back to that.

I BELIEVE I'm much healthier now. I mean, I may still drop a lot and be too thin, but I think it's a much healthier thin as I'm no longer eating mounds of junk food like I did back then. (don't eat ANY junk food now) However, I've also learned that I'm better off not trusting my instincts as I tend to have really lousy instincts.

Nut butter. Quinoa. Will have to ask around and see if they exist over here. There are avacados...but, blech.

Luckily I like bread. I have a bread machine and make my own whole wheat bread, which I eat every day. Before the bread machine, I was really struggling to keep my weight on. But eating lots of bread every day tends to keep me more stable.

I gained 3kg (6.5lbs) almost immediately upon becomming Vegan.
    I was slightly underweight before, I'm in the healthy range now. I think I gained weight because instead of skim milk and non-fat yoghurt, I had soy yoghurt and milk which were higher in calories, and also probably eat too many beans, lentils, dairy-free ice cream, etc. and not enough fruit and greens. And also things like cookies and cakes I hardly ever ate before, and when I went Vegan if I saw cookies or cupcakes that I could eat, I'ld buy them simply because they were Vegan and it was "special" just to find them. Heh.

I really want to start eating more healthful foods now, I would like to lose the bit of weight I've gained, and I'ld also like to be healthy so that I can show my family Vegans aren't sickly (they don't believe me that Vegan diets are healthy).