View Poll Results: How has your weight changed since going vegan?

Voters
484. You may not vote on this poll
  • Up

70 14.46%
  • Down

239 49.38%
  • Up/down, down/up

76 15.70%
  • No change

99 20.45%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Has your weight changed since going vegan?

Default Re: Has your weight changed since going vegan?

I am still pretty much the same still. I have tried and tried to lose about 5 pound and i seem to get to the same weight again, think i am destined to be what i am and the sooner i except it the happier i will be. Blaaa one of those days when i want to be invisable.

I almost never weigh myself, so I don't know how many kg I lost/gained and can only say if I looked thinner or thicker.
    At the beginning after becoming vegan I got a bit thinner and now I gained some weight again. I have no idea why, but as I don't care about my weight very much, I never tried to find out what made me gain or lose weight.
    However I was always always within the norm, never too skinny or too fat.

scotch&dry

I've tried ever since I was about 10 to lose weight. At about 14 I became obsessed with my push bike and lost heaps, but now at 18, I'm bigger than I've ever been. When I stopped eating all meat, my weight didn't change significantly. When I dropped dairy, with it I dropped chocolate, cake, icecream, etc, and although I know of the soy alternatives, I've been much better about eating well and taking a more active role in choosing what I eat (before mum did my shopping - now I do it).

Anyway, I'll share the digits (I'd never say this outside of the interwebs - I was about 105kg. That was three months ago, and now I'm about 99kg ... so I'm losing it slowly but I'm thinking that's because of my lack of exercise. I jog occassionally but it's winter here, and I'm extremely busy with school (excuses, right? =D ). I'm thinking of making dad fix my bike so I can start that, maybe I'd enjoy that more.

I want to get down to 60-something-kg. And stay there.

And that's my story

Well, I didn't exactly watch my weight, but it probably stayed around the same weight.. ^^

I'm a growing middle school girl, and I love them muscles.

I'm around 105 lb. Muscles weigh a lot.

Mousee!!

i was 15 stone now in 10 and a half

I think I lost a little in the beginning but once I started eating right I gained weight which is great since I've always been skinny.

I was vegan years ago, and went from 210 pounds to 123 pounds in about a year. Over the past 8 years I abandoned my vegan lifestyle and have just recently decided to do it again. I don't have a scale anymore, so I will have to report after a few weeks how things go this time around. The first time I went veg., there weren't all these cookies and ice creams and treats to indulge in!!! I am definitely making an effort to avoid those things and eat as healthfully as I'm able.

No change, but i'm in the early stages, and quite small and have a lot of muscle anyway. I do notice more definaition since I went vegan

My weight has stayed about the same but I'm a healthy size so I guess that's a good thing.

I lost weight, which is strange cause I eat loads junk food. I went from omni to vegan 1 month ago, a week into it I caved into pressure and went veggie for about a week, which was stupid. Now that I'm vegan I feel so much better again. you wouldnt believe how my energy levels changed.
    but anyway, about weight... I was about 132lbs and today i'm 125 I think. I wonder if I'll keep on losing. I wouldnt mind. I have a lot of fat in my body for someone being 5'4 and 125... I always thought my ideal weight was 120, but now I think its more around 115. I wanna see how low I get without dieting!! it's exciting! I'm big on intuitive eating and it seems to work better if your a vegan.

vegan doesnt have much of an effect on my weight at all. when im vegan i still can eat nut butters (peanut butter addiction anyone?), baked goods, sugar, and other high calorie things. im working on cutting out all those high calore things now though so i can finally lose.

I have lost about 7 lbs in the first month of being vegan, then gained a couple pounds back. Really, it depends on what kinds of food you eat and what activity level you do. I remember the first week I moved into my dorm room and I ate a lot of junk food, but I lost 15 lbs in 2 weeks.

Jennie

Cool Re: Has your weight changed since going vegan?

Hi! weight loss, but not masively, as people who were anti-vegan had predicted, just shows how people stereotype us into anaemic zombies who can't take care of ourselves? Mind, this vegan has plenty to "give away", so could do with losing a stack more, and this vegan also has a sweet tooth, and contrary to popular non-vegan beliefs, there's plenty of dairy free goodies out there, and a sweet tooth will always seek them out! Yummy! Jennie, aka Ms.Vegan. xx
    Life is what you MAKE IT: be glad for what you have, and can do, don't worry about what you don't have, and aren't able to do.

was worried before becoming vegan if I would get the sheer amount of calories in me to keep my weight up, thankfully I find it easier

Jennie

Personally I can't understand how people lose stones and stones...I mean, fair play, I personally eat a lot of stuff I shouldn't, but even without that, there are so many options for us, aren't there? All my friends disrespected me, said I'd go anaemic, bla bla bla...I think unless you're especially under weight or under nourished before you make the switch, there's really no need to worry! I honestly dunno what all the fuss is about! xx
    Quote bradders View Post
    was worried before becoming vegan if I would get the sheer amount of calories in me to keep my weight up, thankfully I find it easier
    Life is what you MAKE IT: be glad for what you have, and can do, don't worry about what you don't have, and aren't able to do.

I was struggling to keep my weight up to within sensible levels due to medical issues. One dietitian essentially said that I'd have to consume so much simple carbohydrates and sugars that I would become diabetic. Got a second opinion and she said that as long as I ate a good variety, had as much complex cards as possible and avoided eating too many chocolate and sweets I'd be fine. And guess what I am, finding it easier to keep the weight now than I ever did. One of the things that happens is that I see stuff that I will have and will have it as a result. Ooh these crisps are vegan - munch munch munch, ooh this beanburger is vegan munch munch munch

Jennie

I think, to be honest, variety is the word! I have medical issues to consider too...I am on a lot of medication due to badly controlled epilepsy, and am supposed to eat 3 so-called square meals a day, especially breakfast, because nobody's supposed to take a stack of meds on an empty stomach. I was woried, going vegan, that I'd struggle to find enough foods that I'd enjoy, before I started scouring the internet and the supermarket shelves with my p.a, so I always made sure I had breakfast, and have stuck to it. I've never once felt hungry since I've been vegan, and never had to eat the same food two days running, there's so much choice out there, even for one who hates salad!

you hate salad!?!?!?!?
    we hereby cast thee out! lol
    only messing, each to their own on what they do and don't like, I don't like falafel and I hear that there's someone who doesn't like mushrooms

Jennie

Thumbs up Re: Has your weight changed since going vegan?

Huh! hereby cast me out...ya cheeky git! Lol! I have widened my pallet massively since going vegan, things like tofu and falafel I wouldn't have looked at twice! I hate nuts, but I'll eat a nut cutlet or a nut roast...funny that, innit? A lot of people seem to disrespect soya products, soya mince, etc, but I'm happy with that, and with soya milk, others prefer rice milk don't they? I've hadta ditch being a true british tea drinker, infavour of expensive coffee, coz soya tastes gross in tea, unless you can tell me how to improve it? OMG seems we could talk forever...you on msn matey? Jen. Ps, you're making me smile...thanks! xxx

well soya milk in tea depends on the brand (sainsbury's and tesco sweetened fresh or uht are good as is alpro sweetened) you need to leave the tea a few mins before adding the soya milk or it can go a bit funny. Also depends on what milk you're used to most soya milk is creamy like a full fat milk so you could try making slighty weaker tea and addidng less soya milk, addidng a little cold water to the tea then the soya milk or you could use "so good" which is closer to a semi skimmed.

Sadly my msn isn't working at the mo "unable to login at this time"

Jennie

Thumbs up Re: Has your weight changed since going vegan?

Hi! thanks for that! sadly, in the "back of beyond" where I live...actyually it's not that bad lol, we don't have a tesco or a sainsbury...wish we did, could shop online then! Have tried alpro soya fresh, I got it n for the family to try, on recommendation of someone on here, because I'd really like my home to be dairy free, but it's not. Meat free yes, and organic only, but dairy free...not quite yet. I haven't tried the alpro soya fresh in tea, so perhaps I will buy it again, and give it a go. This "so good", is that vegan then? I've seen/heard of that, but never tried it? Hmm...tell me? see, we afta learn from each other, don't we? I'm a "milky drinks" person, but go for semi-skimmed, or even skimmed sorta taste, before I was vegan I haven't had full cream milk in yonks! So looks like trying the so-good then? Thanks again. xx

as far as I know it's vegan, got it ages ago as there was nothing else at the motorway services my then BF kept moaning about alpro but thought that so good was much better in tea

Jennie

Heya! okii, will ask my long suffering p.a to check out the ingredients in morrisons with me tomorrow. cheers! xx

just checked their website and I can't see any non vegan ingredients on the list

When I used to run a lot and regularly walk the fells I maintained a low, but healthy weight on a vegan diet.... between 8 stones & 8.5 stones (I'm only 5'7"-small stature - I'm a twin)... since my life changed and I'm too busy to exercise that much my weight as crept up to about 9.5 stones and I can feel that uncomfortable bit of a wobble when I step off the kerb! However, it's stayed at that level for a couple of years now.
    No guru, no method, no teacher

I'm shorter still 165cm (work out the feet and inches it's about 5'5"), but I have a wide frame and very high bone density (yes big boned as it were but genuinely and not a large belly bone lol)
    for my hight and frame anything from 8 1/2 - 10 1/2 stone is normally ok but if I drop below 10 stone then that's when you see my ribs and that certainly isn't healthy

Mine has gone down...but only by a small bit. I was pretty slim anyway but I seem to have lost a bit of the...bloat I guess you'd call it. I seem to have toned up a little and I don't get that awfull full bloated belly anymore. I like it!

Mousee!!

i cant seem to find a decent weight height thing online. can someone help me?

im male
    5 foot 11
    10 and a half stone.
    good?bad? ok?

sounds fine to me, there are factors such as muscle and bone density to consider though (BMI is a load of rubbish and says that half the athletes out there are clinically obese) the current in thing here is waist line (belly button not hips as so many seem to think the waist is) but any waist size over 35 inches for women and 40 for men is classed as obese
    at the same time there are significant risks of being under weight or from cutting back on food resulting in appetite and energy loss (which means you don't lose weight just the will to do anything including eat)

i've gone from 15st (210lbs) to 13st (182lbs) since becoming vegan i'm almost out of the overweight category

I used to be about 190 pounds 6 months ago, but I've been doing a lot of exercising and eating healthier, and have gone down to between 160-170 (I think it was 165 last I checked). I think a healthy weight for my height is generally between 135-150 pounds, depending on the muscle mass. I feel good about myself though, just should lose a bit more and keep up the exercise (but only AFTER we've made brownies ;-) ).

songlife

Quote ms.vegan View Post
    Hi! thanks for that! sadly, in the "back of beyond" where I live...actyually it's not that bad lol, we don't have a tesco or a sainsbury...wish we did, could shop online then! Have tried alpro soya fresh, I got it n for the family to try, on recommendation of someone on here, because I'd really like my home to be dairy free, but it's not. Meat free yes, and organic only, but dairy free...not quite yet. I haven't tried the alpro soya fresh in tea, so perhaps I will buy it again, and give it a go. This "so good", is that vegan then? I've seen/heard of that, but never tried it? Hmm...tell me? see, we afta learn from each other, don't we? I'm a "milky drinks" person, but go for semi-skimmed, or even skimmed sorta taste, before I was vegan I haven't had full cream milk in yonks! So looks like trying the so-good then? Thanks again. xx
    Have you tried almond milk? It's low in fat and calories and is incredibly creamy and frothy I like rice milk too but it's way higher in calories and I don't think it tastes as good. For almond I like original Almond Breeze with vanilla, or chocolate, or just plain original. You can also make almond milk yourself and it's supposed to be easy.

Qaxt

Down 15 pounds. I'm slowly building, though. So then up 5, but I think that's due to possibly getting slightly taller and gaining muscle. Then back down 2.5 because my body hates me.

132.5 for the lose.

I've lost about four stone since I became vegan in June 2007. Ideally I'd like to lose another stone if I can, but the last bit is proving very difficult.
    From Sutton, Surrey, (or Greater London when they want to fleece me for the Olympics)

BlackCats

Wow, that's good work Jiffy.

Hoped I would lose some weight but no it is stuck at about 49kg (160cm tall so I think it is okay)....if anything I have found it harder to maintain and stop it from creeping up. It seems harder to gauge how much to eat (don't count calories if I can help it as I used to be anorexic). Maybe it is 'cause my body has yet to 'learn' full and empty feelings on a vegan diet and in time I will be intuitive about how much to eat again. I hope so because I don't want to end up obsessing over food and weight. Did other people have to adjust and how long did it take? 7 months so far.....

Well, I didn't think I lost any weight, but when I think about how I was before going vegan...
    I'm 5"11 and at my highest weight I was a lacto-ovo veggie at 170 pounds. Now I'm down to a steady 140. I still want to lose maybe 10 or 15 pounds, but I'm in ahealthy weight range and I don't look too bad.
    I noticed that before I was vegan, my wight would go up and down and up and down all the time. Lately, it's been staying right there between 139 and 141, regardless of how much I gorge myself or vice versa that day.
    I feel a lot better at this weight and can only imagine how I'll feel 10 pounds from now.
    Either this wallpaper goes, or I do.

mango woman

I think originally I lost weight [after I finally fully transitioned from veg to vegan] but NOW I've got some extra chub that just will not leave. It's ridiculous. I blame all the delicious food and my lack of willpower.

I have been vegan for 2 months now and I know I have gained wieght as my clothes are all tighter. I was not by any means thin before so I need to do something about it.

I will steel myself to get on the scales tomorrow morning and see exactly what the damage is and also start the diet tomorrow.

I blame lots of great food and trying out vegan baking

cobweb

Quote Islandgirl View Post
    I have been vegan for 2 months now and I know I have gained wieght as my clothes are all tighter. I was not by any means thin before so I need to do something about it.

I will steel myself to get on the scales tomorrow morning and see exactly what the damage is and also start the diet tomorrow.

I blame lots of great food and trying out vegan baking

yes, that's my problem, too, Islandgirl
    i have gained 4 stone since being vegan
    some of it may be due to age and lifestyle but i do blame the vegan baking and experiments, too
    hey, we STILL haven't met up yet, by the way!

Jippia

It has been 2½ years since I went vegan and I gained over 10 kg in that period. I have never gained so much weight in such a short time in my entire life and I feel pretty awful about it. I went from about 54 kg to 65 kg and that is a lot. I am 168 cm tall. I am working out, but not often enough and I am eating too much sugary stuff, I know. Cutting back drastically makes me feel hungry and deprived of energy. Sometimes I eat out of boredom or to stay awake as I do not always sleep very well and I do not want to fall asleep behind my computer at work! Cycling to work has not been of any help at all.

mr_benjamin

Nothing noticeable.

I didn't transition from vegetarian to veganism, I jumped right in. I started off at 159. I didn't notice much of a change the first year, but before I knew it I was 98 pounds. I am female, 5'2 and in my twenties. I ate CONSTANTLY. Everyone told me how unhealthy I looked. I personally felt great and knew that I had been eating healthy and taking my daily vitamins. I did actually take a year off from veganism (just back on the wagon recently). After eating meat for one year, I've already gained more than 30 pounds. Ah!

When I switched from vegetarianism to being vegan I lost nearly 20 pounds in the first month and looked gaunt for awhile until I discovered soy ice cream and bagels with tofu cream cheese.

Prawnil

In the months before I became vegan (I was never vegetarian) I was around 10.5st/147lb/67kg. I'm ~6'6". I'd gone mad.
    28 months vegan + big eating + big lifting, and I'm now 14st/196lb/89kg. I've never lost weight as a vegan. Never wanted to.

I can say amen to that lol...its been about 3 weeks for me and today i was geting some chips for my bf.......i had the munchies really bad and it took so much for me not to eat those chips......but i love the vegan way there is no way i am turning back
    *Jacey*

RubyDuby

there are plenty of vegan chips though!
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

Because I'm a Brit 'chips' are what we call potato fries... this really confused me for a second there.
    Quitting something because it's hard is wrong, and quitting something because it's wrong is hard. One takes cowardice, the other bravery.

I've gained weight since becoming vegan.

Since returning to the Straight Edge Vegan lifestyle I have lost 13 pounds in sixteen days and feel so much better. I dont know whether its the SxE or the Vegan or a combination of both that is helping me but all I know is i feel great.
    I am the Devil, and I'm here to do the Devils work.