View Poll Results: How has your weight changed since going vegan?

Voters
484. You may not vote on this poll
  • Up

70 14.46%
  • Down

239 49.38%
  • Up/down, down/up

76 15.70%
  • No change

99 20.45%
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: Has your weight changed since going vegan?

Default Re: Has your weight changed since going vegan?

I lost about 5 or 6kg after becoming vegan. I am still not sure whether this was due to the sudden absence of all animal products, or because I wasn't taking in enough calories. It was probably a bit of both. I would stir-fry huge amounts of vegetables, and at first I didn't realise that even though the quantity was big and I felt full after eating, the calorific content wasn't high enough. Once my thinking expanded beyond 'vegan = greens! Lots of greens!' and I started to make seemingly little changes like adding walnuts to soup, my weight became stable.

Default Re: Has your weight changed since going vegan?

Weight measured in morning before I eat. I am 6`. As an omni I was around 11 stone, which when i was in and out of work jumped to 13 stone over a 2 year period.

omni 13 stone obese sedentary + chest pains. 14months ago
    6months later 11 stone after building up to eating 65% raw vegan with still some bread, lots of exercise and under eating on and off, which I wish I had not done but I found it hard to eat all that fruit at first. Hardly any chest pains
    56days later 10stone after ending 92 4 4 low fat raw vegan (9.8 stone is out of my normal bmi), minimum exercise & having trouble eating enough (was ill with a cold for most of time as lfrv so could not eat as much) probably from not eating enough and over exercising previous 6months. Just one notable chest pang when I was briefly sedentary for a week.
    3months later 10 1/2 stone back to cooked vegan with still quite a lot of fruit but bread, oats etc, potatos, steamed vegetables. Saturated fat increased.
    3 1/2 months later 10 3/4 stone after binging on bread, hummus and added olive oil to cooking. Felt good but at the same time rash on hands has come back and some minor chest pings on the increase bleh.
    1 1/2 months later 10 1/4 stone. I cut down on the olive oil, salt, replace all breads with rice, hardly any tree nuts & very low gluten. After I eat I'm back up to 10 1/2 or sometimes 10 7/8 stone. Weight steady at 10 1/4 stone (65kg) in morning. Hand rash has cleared up, better mental clarity through out day after cutting out bread & very low oil. Chest pains non existent after cutting out the oil & bread. Yay.

My bmi is 20 normal weight (10 1/2 stone or 67kg)
    My bmi is 19.4 normal weight (10 1/4 stone or 65kg)

Sticking with the low fat diet to fix my heart as mentioned in following books

Dr Dean Ornish's program for reversing heart disease by Dean Ornish
    Prevent and reverse heart disease by Caldwell B Esselstyn Jnr
    The Mcdougall Program by John A Mcdougall
    The China Study By Colin T Campbell
    Heal your heart by Kitty Gurkin Rosati

Had a few people comment about my weight and how skinny I look (arms look really thin when you cut out fat and salt) but I can still lift what I need to and am in excellent health considering my age compared to a lot of other people. When I ask the nay sayers to show me some evidence that my way of eating is unhealthy they can't. Nuff said
    Last edited by markusaurelius; Aug 5th, 2012 at 09:38 AM.
    "I dream of painting and then I paint my dream"

Vincent Van Gogh