Thread: I’m a vegan. Get over it.

Arrow I’m a vegan. Get over it.

Office Space: Got Green?

By Rachel Kalina, May 3, 2005, www.bupipedream.com

When I began to shift from a vegetarian to a vegan, people started noticing that I wasn’t having the cheesecake, but rather the vegan pumpkin pie. “Don’t just order that because it’s vegan!” they would say, as if I was committing some kind of crime or encroaching on their personal beliefs.

I felt like I was telling people I was changing my gender as opposed to my eating habits.

But the fact was, I wasn’t telling people anything at all. They were just butting in. Let’s be clear about this: I have very strict moral reasons for being a vegan. I’ve been a veggie since I was about five years old. At that point it was just because animals are cute and fuzzy. As I’ve grown older and gained a better understanding about what goes on behind the scenes of the food industry and other products, I’ve learned to be what I consider a better consumer.

Yes, I feel healthier as a vegan, knowing exactly what’s going into my body, but that’s not the point; I could go on forever about my beliefs. The fact is, I’m rarely asked about them in a mature manner. I never preach. I never tell people what they should be eating or consuming. I make my own decisions and I stick to them. For some reason, that seems to shock and bother a lot of people.

Maybe it’s a lack of self-control that others have, or maybe they feel threatened that I just don’t follow the same rules as they do. Do I care? Of course not. I’m not budging an inch from what I enjoy doing. Yes, people, this may also shock you, but I don’t feel that it’s “too bad I can’t eat” certain things. I can eat whatever the eff I want to eat, I just choose not to eat anything with animal byproducts. I bet a lot of girls would switch cosmetic brands if they knew that crushed snails were used in their eye shadow. How ‘bout them apples? And cosmetics aren’t even necessary to survive — for most people anyway.

I don’t tell you what to eat, so why should you intrude on my space and give me your unwanted two cents? The tired jokes of “this meat is organic” are just boring at this point.

And I don’t go protesting either. A huge misconception is that being a vegan will automatically result in a personal calendar full of PETA events. I barely know any vegetarians, let alone any other vegans. I feel that in this area of my life I’m making a small individual difference for the betterment of animal-kind. Maybe I’m not making one at all, but I’m going to keep trying, even if only for my own satisfaction.

Rachel Kalina, Pipe Dream Release editor, is a junior English major

I thought it sounded familiar

Default Re: I’m a vegan. Get over it.

Excellent

Default Re: I’m a vegan. Get over it.

Quote gertvegan
    I felt like I was telling people I was changing my gender as opposed to my eating habits.
    I so hear ya!!

Quote gertvegan
    Maybe it’s a lack of self-control that others have, or maybe they feel threatened that I just don’t follow the same rules as they do. Do I care? Of course not. I’m not budging an inch from what I enjoy doing.
    -I agree that these are a couple of reasons for some people's responses. Another I've come across is just shock because she had never stopped to think about it before, especially with all the "milk is good for you" (etc) commercials, and also because this kind of cr*p is taught in schools.
    -I really admire your attitude about not caring so much about it. I'm trying to get better at this, but I find that actually, really honestly, I do care. Not so much that they think I'm weird, but that veganism is seen as weird. When it comes to strangers and aquaintances, I'm a little sad that they still have blinders on. When it comes to those I'm closer to, I'm really hoping that they will begin to think about these issues more. I'm hoping that because they have "real" relationships with me it will bring the ideas of veganism closer to them; after all, I'm the only vegan they know so far.

Quote gertvegan
    Yes, people, this may also shock you, but I don’t feel that it’s “too bad I can’t eat” certain things. I can eat whatever the eff I want to eat, I just choose not to eat anything with animal byproducts. I bet a lot of girls would switch cosmetic brands if they knew that crushed snails were used in their eye shadow. How ‘bout them apples? And cosmetics aren’t even necessary to survive — for most people anyway.
    Yes! I think that if someone really is free to eat whatever they want, then that means they are free to not eat what they don't want to eat. Otherwise, how could it really be called a free choice? I mean, eating cheese all the time because one craves it and will be irritated if (s)he doesn't get it? That's not what I call "freedom to choose" or "getting to eat whatever I want"!

Quote gertvegan
    I don’t tell you what to eat, so why should you intrude on my space and give me your unwanted two cents? The tired jokes of “this meat is organic” are just boring at this point.
    The one I hear most is something along the lines of "chickens aren't very smart" or "don't have very big brains" or blah, blah. I usually respond "Well, so are some humans (ie, low IQ, mentally challenged, etc), but surely you wouldn't eat them, would you?!"

Quote gertvegan
    And I don’t go protesting either. A huge misconception is that being a vegan will automatically result in a personal calendar full of PETA events. I barely know any vegetarians, let alone any other vegans. I feel that in this area of my life I’m making a small individual difference for the betterment of animal-kind. Maybe I’m not making one at all, but I’m going to keep trying, even if only for my own satisfaction.
    -I would like to do more to promote veganism...
    -I don't know any other vegans yet either. Nice to meet you!!

Quote gertvegan
    Rachel Kalina, Pipe Dream Release editor, is a junior English major
    Thank you for sharing! I loved it. BTW y'all, my name is Stephanie.