From http://www.championtrees.org/yarrow/tob12.htm
B12 Bacteria and pH

It bears repeating: Vitamin B12 is only produced by bacteria. No plant or animal can synthesize this crucial biological molecule. Micro-organisms that make this micronutrient are very common; they're found in soil, air, water, and the gut of ruminant animals. Herbivores get B12 by culturing this microbe in a special stomach (called the rumen) where B12 bacteria assist to digest cellulose to sugar. Carnivores get B12 by eating herbivores.

It intrigues me the lady who discovered that this vital vitamin is vanishing lives in Salt Lake City. This fragment of fact was fixed firmly in my mind since I live in the Salt City by the Salt Lake. But while Ms. Gray is in Utah, I live in Syracuse, NY.

Is anything coincidence? Or is everything truly connected?

Having teased your intellect, let me tickle your imagination by noting that, like B12 bacteria, I'm pickled in the Salt City. As we reported in SOLSTICE #39, B12 bacteria require alkaline (high pH) environments to survive and thrive. To discourage these friendly micro-critters, just give them an acid bath. Anyone who follows modern news knows acid rain is a critical environmental threat implicated in the death of lakes and forests.