Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Vegan Indian food: The curry thread

Default Re: Curry

Quote AnneCE View Post
    I like the Patak pastes - much better than the sauces.
    Are they the ones in the jars or the little tins? I find the jars very salty

Default Re: Curry

If you are ordering from a takeaway, ask them if they use butter ghee or vegetable ghee. Or alternatively just ask them if they will cook the dish with vegetable oil instead of ghee, the takeaways I have asked to do this have always been more than happy to help.
    I usually have just bog standard vegetable curry or bombay aloo with boiled rice. (Some places add butter to their pilau rice)
    No sense being pessimistic. It wouldn't work anyway.

Default Curry Pasties

Put some red lentils on to cook - enough to make about 8fl oz (1 US cup) when cooked.

Meanwhile...

Chop a medium onion and start frying.

Grate 2 medium potatoes and 1 medium carrot skin and all and add to frying onion.

Add the lentils when they are cooked and add curry powder, ground cumin, cayenne pepper to taste. Depending how salty the curry powder is, add some yeast extract or vecon paste.

Add in 2 "cubes" of frozen spinach and "melt" and mix in.

Drain a small tin of garden peas in water, and stir them gently in.

Allow to cool.

Roll out a block of puff pastry very thinly and cut into shapes for pasties. Squares are easy, or use a cappuccino cup like I did and make small pasties.

Stuff with filling, prick top, and bake at 200C until cooked.
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

Default Re: Curry Pasties

Wow these sounds brilliant. I'll be making some at the weekend. Thanks!!

Interesting thought
    If I sink to the bottom I can run to the shore.

BlackCats

I bought some frozen pastry at x-mas especially to make curry pasties but I had forgotten. I will be making them soon now. I wouldn't have thought to put in spinach though but it sounds quite nice actually.

sounds good, i have some frozen pastry in the freezer too waiting for me to stop being lazy and do something with it
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Quote BlackCats View Post
    I bought some frozen pastry at x-mas especially to make curry pasties but I had forgotten. I will be making them soon now. I wouldn't have thought to put in spinach though but it sounds quite nice actually.
    That was just my attempt at making them healthier (to make up for the laziness of using tinned peas). Pretty much anything can go in.

I made cornish style pasties the other day with onion, potato, carrot, frozen mince, vecon, black pepper, sage and parsley. Can't decide which I prefer.

My next lot will be cornish type again, but using half potato, half swede, and using brown/green/puy lentils instead of mince. I am going to freeze them uncooked. For emergencies, as otherwise they get eaten far too quickly.

I want to try chilli pasties after that, and also try making them with oil pastry, which will be a) healthier, b) free from palm oil, and c) cheaper
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

This sounds amazingly delicious, thanks Pob

Default Indian food help

further to the thread I just read about someone needing help ordering in a chinese restaurant...how about an indian restaurant? what is good to eat there?
    i ordered pilaw rice last week and it was yellow so i didn't eat it...convinced myself it was cooked in butter....ew.

help!

Default Re: Indian food help

hmm i guess the silence means nothing eh? last night i had basmati rice with a green salad. that was ok. bit dry that's all.

Most places I've been to in the UK will be able to do veg biryani, dhal and chipatti, provided that you check of course (ghee, cochineal etc). Poppadoms are often vegan, dependant on whether they're cooked separately.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

As with any restaurant you have to check with the chef and assess whether you think they're clued up on veganism. I've had some great vegan food at Indian restaurants. At the one I used to go in Cambridge, the biryani wasn't vegan due to ghee, but I definitely used to have channa dal, tarka dal, sag aloo, bombay potato, plain rice and poppadoms.

Quote Daffodil View Post
    further to the thread I just read about someone needing help ordering in a chinese restaurant...how about an indian restaurant? what is good to eat there?
    i ordered pilaw rice last week and it was yellow so i didn't eat it...convinced myself it was cooked in butter....ew.

help!
    Indian restaurants add turmeric to most things, turmeric turns stuff yellow.
    The main issue with indian restaurants is cooking in ghee which is butter, but you can ask them before you go whether they can cook with vegetable oil instead. Some will refuse on principle, or because it means they have to cook separate batches for you, but there are some which will accomodate. As a lot of Indins are Hindu they are usually familiar with vegetarianism, also religious Hindus don't eat eggs at all so eggs aren't usually a problem.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

And if it's a South Indian restaurant (aside from the fact it should be vegetarian anyway) they will/should be clued up on veganism!
    Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty!

I usually have no problems finding vegan food at Indian restaurants, many of them use oil instead of gee. Naans contains dairy most of the time, though.
    I've been treated with respect in all the places I've been and had the most delicious vegan dishes!
    "Animals are my friends... and I don't eat my friends". ~ George Bernhard Shaw.

Last time I went to an Indian restaraunt was with my gf's family, they had phoned in advance and been told that they could cater for vegans. When we got there, after having to explain to 2 different waiters (one was even the manager I think) what vegan meant I was asked if chicken would be ok if it was cooked in vegetable oil.

It was at this point that I decided never again to eat in a restaraunt that didn't make it clear that they provided vegan options. Now when invited I'll eat before or after and just sit and have a drink while everyone else eats (saves you money anyway).

Sorry, totally unhelpful post I know.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

*live*&*let*live

Hi Daffodil

I rarely eat takeaways now as like you say you don't know who to trust. However our local Indian takeaway is great, he does me a special portion of curry sauce made with no animal ingredients. He is honest by saying the naan bread is not vegan but the chapattis are. They are very accommodating, so I guess its just down to that and how nice they are! I used to eat from there a lot when vegetarian so they do know us as customers which I suppose helps. :smile:

I get that way too, Risker, but how will they learn?
    If the staff are nice then I keep trying til they get trained. They might even end up putting a symbol next to menu items that are vegan. (well, we can dream)
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

helen105281

We have a wonderful take away near us called Spice Shuttle which actually labels some things on the menu as vegan. There is even a pudding we can have. Also other restaurants near us are usually very accomodating.

you're v lucky to have such accomodating indian restaurants. we live in a small valleys town and they're not so good here..... i'll stick with my boiled rice and salad for now.
    thanks for answering me everyone

Most of the vegetable side dishes (bombay aloo, aloo gobi, cauliflower bhajee) should be safe, at least in theory. When my boyfriend's mum orders for me in restaurants, she always tells them I'm allergic to dairy and egg to make sure they don't pull a fast one

I really can't imagine ghee being added to something like chana masala (chickpeas in tomato sauce), as that would probably make it taste odd.

Its not added to the dish it's what the vegetables are cooked in.
    The first step in most indian recipes is.. fry your spices in ghee (or oil). Then add the gobi, channa, aloo, whatever it is.
    The more traditional chefs believe cooking in ghee is the best way, their mother did it and they think it won't taste right without it.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

You can get vegetable ghee now. Also, I have seen some public health leaflets aimed at Asian communities about healthy eating, and making the case for using oil as opposed to ghee... when will this be the norm in Indian restaurants and take aways? Even in vegetarian restaurants (not just Indian) I sometimes wonder... maybe I am just in a paranoid frame of mind?

ETA vegetable ghee is a trans fat, so not that healthy!

I've always been under the impression that oil was more traditional/common than ghee?

*live*&*let*live

Quote Daffodil View Post

help!
    That may well be saffron Daffy

I'm just back from india for the 2nd time (and have a terrible stomach bug, but that's another story!). South indian is generally more vegan friendly than north, dosas and uttapams and such. North indian food pretty much depends on the chef in terms of ghee, although most places were more than willing to do the basics such as channa masala and dal and biryani in veg oil. it's paneer that's the problem over there, they put it in everything! I've never had any problems ordering in western indian restaurants, balti, jalfrezi, madras, rogan josh and many more hould be fine as long as you tell them to leave out the dairy. It's taken me about 45 minutes to write this post cause I've been up and down to the toilet so much! sorry if that's too much information on a thread about food!
    Todays empires, tomorrows ashes...

Other half and I have had a couple of wonderful experiences at Indian restaurants. We phoned in advance and they have been nothing but understanding and knowledgeable. We ordered our food first, and the waiter and manager both double- and triple-checked what would be and wouldn't be OK. Had absolutely fantastic meals Guess it depends where you go. These were in and around Milton Keynes.
    "You're right, Jackie. The Fonz could beat up Bruce Lee."

The Indian take away near me does add dairy and ghee to certain vegetarian based meals after so I always say no Dairy or Ghee and it is always left out which is great.

Most Indian places can do this for you just make it known as they are happy to accommodate.
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams

Default Will tofu be good as a curry?

I was thinking of making a panerr type curry with tofu instead of paneer. I can't decide how though. Do I marinade the tofu first, then make my curry and add it at the end? Or should I fry the tofu and then just add it to the sauce? Or add the tofu part way through making the sauce? Not being an experienced tofu-using-vegan I'm undecided as the way to go forward, but I am a very experienced curry maker. Any ideas welcome!
    Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet. ~Albert Einstein

Default Re: Will tofu be good as a curry?

personally i would shallow fry the tofu in cubes or triangles and then add near the end to warm through again. i use this method when making thai curries - i like the chewy texture of the frying

I marinate the tofu with spices but not the curry powder & chilli, then add the marinated to the spicy sauce about 5-10mins before serving. That wayI find that way the tofu has more flavour and you don't end up with a bland sauce which I find you get if you marinate the hot stuff with the tofu.... if that makes sense..

Buy taifun flavoured tofu (such as almond and sesame seed) from waitrose or health food shops. Chop it up and fry it off with the onions in a bit of oil before adding sauce / paste and liquid. It costs a bit more (~£3) but is well worth in terms of flavour and time saving.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Quote cedarblue View Post
    personally i would shallow fry the tofu in cubes or triangles and then add near the end to warm through again. i use this method when making thai curries - i like the chewy texture of the frying
    What she said

Buddha Belly

Helen put tofu in Thai curries too.

Tofu is really best in curry anyway (to me).

Yep Tofu Thai curry or noodles is yum..... Tofu's just great!

I think it's best if you freeze it overnight then defrost it then drain it a lot, lot, lot under a plate with cans on top - then it goes really textured, and it soaks up the curry flavours beautifully.

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    Buy taifun flavoured tofu (such as almond and sesame seed) from waitrose or health food shops. Chop it up and fry it off with the onions in a bit of oil before adding sauce / paste and liquid. It costs a bit more (~£3) but is well worth in terms of flavour and time saving.
    ^ What he said. My favourite is onion, peas and broad beans with almond and sesame seed taifun tofu done with rogan josh curry paste. I know, I thought I hated broad beans. I was wrong.

The taifun basil tofu makes a great thai curry with courgettes and green beans and things.

Quote Cherry View Post
    The taifun basil tofu makes a great thai curry with courgettes and green beans and things.
    That's a really good idea, basil tofu would be great in thai curry.
    Last edited by Barry; Feb 9th, 2010 at 06:20 PM.
    Todays empires, tomorrows ashes...

Quote Roxy View Post
    What she said
    i agree!

Never thought of using Taifun for curry before, ta, I'll try it

Default Nigel Slater's (The Observer) Coconut Chickpea Curry

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...matics-recipes

It's a simple recipe, but it is one of the nicest things I've made. I used double what he suggested in the garlic department, and the recipe says 750g of veg stock, whereas I'm sure he means 750ml

Recipe here also (but you have to join the Facebook group first ), just in case they remove from The Guardian at any point.

COCONUT CHICKPEA CURRY

More like a main course soup than a traditional curry, this dish, with its lemon grass and ginger is both fresh and invigorating. You don't have to put the coriander in, but I like to think of it as a knee-jerk partner for anything involving coconut. If you use canned chickpeas, you will need 3 x 400g cans and you should add them once the sauce is made. Serve in soup bowls. Serves 6 with rice or bread.
    500g dried chickpeas
    3 medium onions
    2 tbsp groundnut oil
    750g vegetable stock
    1 small tin of coconut cream (160ml)
    half a bunch of coriander
    for the spice paste:
    2 or 3 large cloves of garlic
    75g fresh ginger
    half a bunch of coriander, stalks and leaves
    75g lemon grass
    2 hot green chillies
    Coconut chickpea curry. Photograph: Jonathan Lovekin Soak the chickpeas overnight in cold water. Drain them, tip into a large, deep saucepan and cover with water. Bring to the boil, then turn the heat down, cover partially with a lid and leave the chickpeas to simmer enthusiastically for an hour or so till tender. It is worth checking the water level from time to time. Drain.
    Peel the onions, roughly chop them, then put them in a Iarge, deep pan with the groundnut oil and let them soften for 10-15 minutes or so over a low to moderate heat. Stir occasionally so they do not colour.
    Make the spice paste. Peel the garlic, roughly chop it, and put it into the bowl of a food processor. Peel the ginger and add to the garlic with the coriander stalks and leaves. Peel off and discard the outer leaves of the lemon grass. Chop the more tender inside leaves and add to the rest of the spice paste ingredients with the chillies (seeded if you wish). Blitz to a coarse paste.
    Add the spice paste to the softened onions and fry briefly. Pour in the stock, tip in the chickpeas and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Remove about a third of the mixture and blitz in a food processor. Tip back into the pan and stir. Stir in the coconut cream, add the coriander and leave to simmer for a few minutes before serving in bowls.
    I like football. And potatoes.

Default Re: Nigel Slater's (The Observer) Coconut Chickpea Curry

Mmm, that looks good - am in a bit of a food rut at the moment so it will be good to try something new. (Although arguably things involving chickpeas aren't a radical departure for us )

Hi all

Yes, Indian are big on using ghee. If you really love Indian preparations and want to be "safe" then cook your own food.

The more you cook it, the more it's going to get easy. If anyone is interested I can give you recipes. I'm also a regular visitor to India so I have picked up many recipes while there. Additionally I have other asian recipes too.
    Respect for all living entities

Default Re: The South Indian recipes collection

I'm going to try the green bean recipe this weekend! I'm excited, lol.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Talking Chip Shop Curry Sauce and Gravy

Hi, does anyone know if the curry sauce or gravy you get from the chippy is vegan? I know that usually the gravy is because it is oinon gravy but don't know if it's vegan. I'm really missing it so could do with some suggestions!! Me thinks that they probably contain milk though.........

Default Re: Chip Shop Curry Sauce and Gravy

I asked in our local chippy, they got the ingredient card out for me, it is definitely vegan. But it may vary, so just ask them and I'm sure they'll help.

The chips in my chippy are definitely NOT VEGAN though. They use the fish oil (which also ccoks the sausages and chicken) is used in the chip fryer the following day, and this seems to be normal practise!
    Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet. ~Albert Einstein

Default Re: Chip Shop Curry Sauce and Gravy

Thanks Blueberry, i'll check with my local chippy - here's to gravy and curry sauce!! Didn't realise about the fish oil though i'll def have to make sure i ask before i have chips again. yuck how vile!! i can't believe i've been so silly not to check, i just assumed that it would just be veg oil!! i haven't been vegan that all that long and thought i was doing well but my one weakness is chippy chips so i probably haven't been vegan at all - OMG

Default Anybody looking for amazing vegetarian Indian recipes?

I found a really yummy spinach soup (low cal) off my iphone from this Sweet'N'Spicy app (http://itunes.apple.com/app/sweennspicy/id393738867) I downloaded. They have thousands of recipes, and this one is less than 5 calories a serving! Love it!!

2 cups shredded spinach (1 bunch)
    2 tbsp. grated bottle gourd
    salt to taste
    pepper to taste
    2 cup water

Wash spinach well. Put in a large pot
    Sprinkle 2-3 pinches salt and add gourd
    Boil covered, on high, till soft. (3-4 minutes after boiling)
    Take of fire and put in colander
    Pour cold water over it
    Blend in a mixie till smooth
    Add water, mix and take in a deep pan
    Add all other ingredients
    Bring to a boil. Serve piping hot

Default Re: Anybody looking for amazing vegetarian Indian recipes?

That sounds nice mcornelius. I had to Google bottle gourd as I hadn't heard of that before, I don't think we can get that over here. What would you suggest as an alternative?
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty